Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

is it possible as some one has stated maybe Princess did not build Royal to be an up scale ship of the line which would demand a premium price. But instead built her has just a bigger and more economical version of what they already offer?

If this is true then all we nay sayers are jumping the gun by expecting more from the ship and the prices currently being asked.

Yes Royal is pretty much the same old format with a few bells and whistles. If the Wow factor is derived from a Fountain show and catwalk and the rest of the build is cut backs smaller balconies, shower curtains instead of moving up to shower doors. A curtian cost them 25 cents a shower door maybe $5.00 but multiply by 2,000 showers and you see the cost savings in cutting or not enhancing. Especially if the intent is to fill her after the glow has worn off at the same price as current ships.

As others has noted Royal will not be attracking the Carnival, NCL and RCI family vacation crowd.

So maybe Princess is going for a more sedate and cost effective HA and X crowd?

is it possible as some one has stated maybe Princess did not build Royal to be an up scale ship of the line which would demand a premium price. But instead built her has just a bigger and more economical version of what they already offer?

If this is true then all we nay sayers are jumping the gun by expecting more from the ship and the prices currently being asked.

Yes Royal is pretty much the same old format with a few bells and whistles. If the Wow factor is derived from a Fountain show and catwalk and the rest of the build is cut backs smaller balconies, shower curtains instead of moving up to shower doors. A curtian cost them 25 cents a shower door maybe $5.00 but multiply by 2,000 showers and you see the cost savings in cutting or not enhancing. Especially if the intent is to fill her after the glow has worn off at the same price as current ships.

As others has noted Royal will not be attracking the Carnival, NCL and RCI family vacation crowd.

Interesting analysis. I find the sameness of Princess ships both comforting and a bit irritating. The atrium concept is interesting but at times it seems overly frenetic. I liked the small intimate quiet bars on the older ships that seem to be missing from the newer ones. Hopefully the Royal Princess will provide that.

If the Wow factor is derived from a Fountain show and catwalk and the rest of the build is cut backs smaller balconies, shower curtains instead of moving up to shower doors. A curtain cost them 25 cents a shower door maybe $5.00 but multiply by 2,000 showers and you see the cost savings in cutting or not enhancing.

It could be a false economy when you have to factor the more frequent replacement of shower curtains.

I would hope that by now Princess is aware of the costs of replacing the shower curtains and doors.

I'm sure they have highly paid cost analysts to figure it out I was just speculating as is my wont. It keeps one's mind active.

Plus looking at some of the things done (not just by Princess, or just at sea) sometimes the only phrase applicable is "What were they thinking?"

Edited by Kentskie

For hand washing clothes you can put a bit of liquid detergent in a small travel bottle and ziploc bag it.

The only things I hand wash are bathing suits and my undies.

I just use the shampoo provided in the cabin. :)

LuLu

~~~~

For "sink" laundry, shampoo and conditioner provided work extremely well. I even do that at home. I also found powder detergent pods in the supermarket to pack along with a few fabric softener sheets for the machines. Also worked very well.

Just ordered Purex 3 in 1 sheets from soap.com,they are to arrive on 7/3:)

Many of us can't use things of that sort. I'm allergic to all of the fabric softeners. We take "pods" of laundry detergent. They're a gel pod so you have to take some precaution to be sure they don't pop in your luggage but it's really not a problem.

When someone uses a dryer sheet on my block I can't even be outside. Those things are poison. I know other people who are highly allergic to the fumes of those things as well. As someone who, in a past life, serviced and repaired appliances I can tell you that the dryer sheets are NOT good for your dryer. That waxy coating they use to "soften" your clothes clogs the lint trap on your dryer and forces the machine to work harder. More heating elements and thermostats get blown out because of dryer sheets...

"As others has noted Royal will not be attracking the Carnival, NCL and RCI family vacation crowd. "- I wouldn't be on that. I just booked Princess Alaska over NCL and RCI because it had a less costly price point

Do any of Princess ships have tea time in the afternoon? If so, are they are the cruises that are 7 days or more? The reason I ask, we are on a 4 day cruise, almost 5 days when we arrive back to California in the morning.

Do any of Princess ships have tea time in the afternoon? If so, are they are the cruises that are 7 days or more? The reason I ask, we are on a 4 day cruise, almost 5 days when we arrive back to California in the morning.

There is afternoon tea on all Princess cruises. I think it is from 3:30pm to 4:30pm, but I could be off by 30 minutes. Check the Princess Patter for the time and location.

Many of us can't use things of that sort. I'm allergic to all of the fabric softeners. We take "pods" of laundry detergent. They're a gel pod so you have to take some precaution to be sure they don't pop in your luggage but it's really not a problem.

When someone uses a dryer sheet on my block I can't even be outside. Those things are poison. I know other people who are highly allergic to the fumes of those things as well. As someone who, in a past life, serviced and repaired appliances I can tell you that the dryer sheets are NOT good for your dryer. That waxy coating they use to "soften" your clothes clogs the lint trap on your dryer and forces the machine to work harder. More heating elements and thermostats get blown out because of dryer sheets...

I'm with you. The smell of it makes me nauseous. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

There is afternoon tea on all Princess cruises. I think it is from 3:30pm to 4:30pm, but I could be off by 30 minutes. Check the Princess Patter for the time and location.

I loved the Royal Dutch and Indonesian teas on HAL.

Sometimes the scones on Princess are delicious. Other times dry which is unusual since their baked goods rolls, etc. are one of their culinary strengths.

Not sure if this is a secret but if you have the carnival credit card you can redeem points for money off a princess cruise or any other of the same owned cruise lines. Also while on board you earn two points per dollar vs one point everyday. Just talked to the credit card company yesterday.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just back from a cruise on Oceania's Riviera which has lovely bathrooms with a full size tub and a separate shower cubicle with a door, not a curtain. But glass doors are heavier than curtains and a heavier ship I guess uses more fuel. Hence Princess are choosing to keep shower curtains in standard cabins.

I'm with you. The smell of it makes me nauseous. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

add me to that list !! double smelly when smokers use them - they do not mask that odor - just makes it worse !!! :eek:

I emailed Purex and asked if the sheets were re-introduced!!

add me to that list !! double smelly when smokers use them - they do not mask that odor - just makes it worse !!! :eek:

I emailed Purex and asked if the sheets were re-introduced!!

Wow and I thought it was just me. Glad to see there are others. Maybe we should have our own scent free meet and greet.;)

Whether the shareholder benefit is worth it depends on your cruising. We cruise often on Princess. We have had the stock for nearly four years. We have gotten back the purchase cost plus nearly $1000 in OBC. We also have several hundred dollars in dividents. Finally the stock is now worth about 40% more than we paid for it.

So for us it has certainly been worth it.

This has probably been answered but you can buy CCL stock through online traders. I used Scottrade. Inexpensive trading fee and easy to use website. If you have a Scottrade office they can do this for you at a slightly increased fee.

Do those pods work only in a washing machine? I thought people used the sheets because they can use them to hand wash --

Yes they only work in a washing machine. For hand washing put some liquid Tide in a small plastic bottle and put in a ziploc for safekeeping. The sheets do NOT work for hand washing.

We did a B2B on the Carnival Breeze last year, and the specialty Italian restaurant was free for lunch on sea days. Does anyone know if that's the case for Princess? Thanks.

They have a Pub Lunch in the Crown Grill on some sea days. The last two cruises I was on were 15 and 10 nights and they had two Pub lunches. It is free.

We did a B2B on the Carnival Breeze last year, and the specialty Italian restaurant was free for lunch on sea days. Does anyone know if that's the case for Princess? Thanks.

No. The only ship it may be open for lunch would be the Royal but not on any other ship. Only for dinner, and it costs $25 per person.

If you are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, you can have friends and/or family come on board the ship (before it sails, obviously), for about $40 pp. DH and I brought my mom and dad on one and they gave us a great tour of the ship (including the room we would stay in) and a nice meal in one of the dining rooms. It was a great way to start a vacation!

If you are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, you can have friends and/or family come on board the ship (before it sails, obviously), for about $40 pp. DH and I brought my mom and dad on one and they gave us a great tour of the ship (including the room we would stay in) and a nice meal in one of the dining rooms. It was a great way to start a vacation!

Great idea & it's at other ports also (US only??) but it's limited & must be booked in advance. The cost ($39?) can be used towards a future booking within a certain period of time.