Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

I've contacted my TA and he said Princess no longer give out the coupon book to the agents, so they don't hv any with them. :(

They do give them to travel agents who have group space booked. AND have a cruise night or other promotional activity to promote the cabins.... The key here is that. YOU, Have to book (deposit) within 7 days of that promotional event...

Re: Ship's water...so you fill bottles out of the tap? it seems awkward to bring a case of water on board. I can imagine thm opening every bottle to ck for alcohol!

Yes, we have been told 375mm size liquor purchased from the bar are the norm and are in the mid-$20's. We just would enjoy the convenience of a cocktail or two in our cabin before dinner and not pay room service prices (which we have been told run almost $10 a drink)

All these rules and costs are discouraging and put a damper on our first ever cruise coming up in September to Alaska on the Grand Princess.

Search on cruise critic. There are many ways to bring booze on a ship. Many apparently are successful at it... I have read elsewhere that ppl have sent a case of water from curb side check in. Using a luggage tag attached.

I had a newsletter from cruise critic just the other day about this and the % of ppl caught was low

You can bring one bottle of wine per person .. I was on a cruise where the couple behind us had sealed cartons of wine. One red. And one white!!!!

Go figure....

Edited by azippy
Spelling

Hey,

We are getting the coupon book. Does anyone know what types of coupons are in it?

Nine years ago we got one. Had really great items in it. Free photo, free photo book, Internet minutes, etc. had many left over so I gave it to friends who were going a couple of weeks later.

Look forward to our cruise in 116 days

It seems to me that in the olden days ;) the coupon books were very useful and had two for one drinks in them etc. But the last couple of times we got coupon books we didn't use any of the coupons.

Search on cruise critic. There are many ways to bring booze on a ship. Many apparently are successful at it... I have read elsewhere that ppl have sent a case of water from curb side check in. Using a luggage tag attached.

I had a newsletter from cruise critic just the other day about this and the % of ppl caught was low

You can bring one bottle of wine per person .. I was on a cruise where the couple behind us had sealed cartons of wine. One red. And one white!!!!

Go figure....

Again, bad information! Sailberg, I would suggest you ignore this poster... It does not seem like he or she is not keeping up with news nor has sailed with Princess much...

There is a new policy and is starting to be enforced fleetwide. They will scan your luggage for smuggled booze. You are entitled to bring one bottle of wine per passenger for consumption in your cabin. You are also entitled to bring as many bottles of wine you want, but you must be prepared to pay $15 corkage fee per bottle.

Again, bad information! Sailberg, I would suggest you ignore this poster... It does not seem like he or she is not keeping up with news nor has sailed with Princess much...

There is a new policy and is starting to be enforced fleetwide. They will scan your luggage for smuggled booze. You are entitled to bring one bottle of wine per passenger for consumption in your cabin. You are also entitled to bring as many bottles of wine you want, but you must be prepared to pay $15 corkage fee per bottle.

That policy was in effect when I was on line with the ppl who brought the 2 cases of wine !! Out of LAX -- they can make all the rules they want - but the hired help (temporary) on the pier has to (1) know it (2) enforce it !!!

I didn't generate the newsletter - so if I am misinformed - take it up with cruise critic. I mentioned it to be informational as I suspect the original poster didnt get it ...

It is the passenger who is responsible to know the rules. Not mine - not yours - not cruise critics.

I am elite with Princess with 70+ cruise behind me.. various lines.

I do acknowledge that rules change - which is why I believe ppl use cruise critic - to see what other ppl find out... If your info is newer than mine - great -

How do we know that? Maybe YOUR info is bad info !!! lol -- I don't care one way or the other !!

That corkage fee has been in effect out of NYC for at least a year that I am aware of and it is not Princess -- and it is not always enforced anyway !!

all in all - if you bring and extra $5.00 bottle of wine - with the $15 fee - you are still better off than the cruise price...

If there is a will there is a way... According to the cruise critic section regarding alcohol - it isn't all that hard with the products on the market for such purposes. What shows up on the xray and what doesn't -- others seem more knowledgeable than either of us...

My sincere apologizes for any misinformation I might have passed on - I only meant to be helpful and observational ... I stand ignored !!! :eek::D

That policy was in effect when I was on line with the ppl who brought the 2 cases of wine !! ...

That corkage fee has been in effect out of NYC for at least a year that I am aware of and it is not Princess -- and it is not always enforced anyway !!

azippy: Perhaps you are confusing the wine policy with the liquor policy. You seem to suggest (through the use of double exclamation marks) that the people who brought 2 cases of wine on board were "getting away with something". Princess allows you to bring on as much wine as you like, but each bottle in excess of the first "free" bottle will be subject to a $15 corkage fee. The new policy is that this fee will be assessed upon boarding such that once the wine is on board, it will not be subject to any further fee irrespective of where it is consumed. But this new policy in no way alters the prohibition against hard liquor which is prohibited in any volume. So the people with 2 cases of wine were not skirting any rules.

As for the corkage fee not being enforced, that has not been my experience. While I have yet to sail under the new rules and have the fee collected in advance, every bottle that I have brought to a dining room has been assessed the fee. Fleetwide, experiences will vary. But I don't think it is fair to say that Princess is lax in its enforcement of the corkage fee, if the experiences relayed on this Board are any indication.

Edited by JimmyVWine

We have not had to pay corkage fee yet under the newer rules for wine we bring aboard. We never take it to the dining room, we always have it in our cabin, on the balcony or share it with friends. So, we have not had a corkage fee on any of our wine and we bring more than one bottle per person. We are sailing out of Anchorage in a couple of months, onboard the Island Princess, so will be interested to see what they do.

All these rules and costs are discouraging and put a damper on our first ever cruise coming up in September to Alaska on the Grand Princess.

If you think that Princess is bad ... Other lines policy should make you feel better.

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be
disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense
, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.":eek:

"Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a
corkage fee of $25.00
. "

Feel better :D

Edited by MauiLvrs

Fettucine Alfredo is "always available" and as an entree, comes in a crunchy Parmesan Cheese Basket. - this is not a secret.

And OMG - is it every AMAZING. So many calories, but oh so yummy and comforting on the tummy. On a recent Princess cruise we had a very long series of flights to get to the ship and my son and I were both "a little off" for the first few days and we both had this fettuccine for several nights and it was wonderful. Trust me - it's worth the calories!

And OMG - is it every AMAZING. So many calories, but oh so yummy ... Trust me - it's worth the calories!

We were told that calories onboard didn't count :confused: you mean they LIED:eek:

Just a few more laps around the Promenade deck right?:D

If you think that Princess is bad ... Other lines policy should make you feel better.

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be
disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense
, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.":eek:

"Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a
corkage fee of $25.00
. "

Feel better :D

Good lord what line is that? They stop just short of "Off with their heads!" :eek:

Edited by Kentskie

Good lord what line is that? They stop just short of "Off with their heads!" :eek:

I read that info on a recent RCCL cruise & their wine policy had become more "liberal" by allowing those 2 bottles of wine in our cabin..,or a $25 corkage fee anywhere else!

We were told that calories onboard didn't count :confused: you mean they LIED:eek:

Just a few more laps around the Promenade deck right?:D

Dick Gold, a long time Princess comedian now deceased, used to say that it's not that you're gaining weight it's "Sea Swell" and will disappear when you get home unless you live by body of water such as a lake, bay, ocean, or wash basin.

Hi sorry to be the ignorant one but....what coupon books? I don't think we've had one of these yet. Also, do you know if you can get replacement Princess 'Passport' books? We've mislaid ours... thanks!

Welcome to Crusie Critic.

There are/were two coupon books. One is "Passport to Value". It is given by Princess. It is pretty worthless.

The second was given by some TAs and had some good coupons. I don't think it is around any more.

You can get a Princess Passport from the Captain's Circle rep on your next cruise.

Welcome to Crusie Critic.

There are/were two coupon books. One is "Passport to Value". It is given by Princess. It is pretty worthless.

The second was given by some TAs and had some good coupons. I don't think it is around any more.

You can get a Princess Passport from the Captain's Circle rep on your next cruise.

I got an email from my TA last week

We are running a Princess reduced deposit sale starting Tuesday May 28th.

Book during this sale and receive coupon books (2 per cabin) and a reduced deposit of $100 per person.

So there are still coupon books out there but it's been about 3 years since there was anything I would consider of value in the book.

That policy was in effect when I was on line with the ppl who brought the 2 cases of wine !! Out of LAX -- they can make all the rules they want - but the hired help (temporary) on the pier has to (1) know it (2) enforce it !!!

I didn't generate the newsletter - so if I am misinformed - take it up with cruise critic. I mentioned it to be informational as I suspect the original poster didnt get it ...

It is the passenger who is responsible to know the rules. Not mine - not yours - not cruise critics.

I am elite with Princess with 70+ cruise behind me.. various lines.

I do acknowledge that rules change - which is why I believe ppl use cruise critic - to see what other ppl find out... If your info is newer than mine - great -

How do we know that? Maybe YOUR info is bad info !!! lol -- I don't care one way or the other !!

all in all - if you bring and extra $5.00 bottle of wine - with the $15 fee - you are still better off than the cruise price...

If there is a will there is a way... According to the cruise critic section regarding alcohol - it isn't all that hard with the products on the market for such purposes. What shows up on the xray and what doesn't -- others seem more knowledgeable than either of us...

My sincere apologizes for any misinformation I might have passed on - I only meant to be helpful and observational ... I stand ignored !!! :eek::D

As long as people keep posting what they know about getting alcohol on board, Princess will keep reading the posts and taking countermeasures to stop it.

I got an email from my TA last week

We are running a Princess reduced deposit sale starting Tuesday May 28th.

Book during this sale and receive coupon books (2 per cabin) and a reduced deposit of $100 per person.

So there are still coupon books out there but it's been about 3 years since there was anything I would consider of value in the book.

As I recall TAs have several options to use their group points including the TA coupon book. There's nothing of value to me in the TA coupon book either so my TA has used the points for other things such as a free 2 category upgrade or a bottle of wine.

As I recall TAs have several options to use their group points including the TA coupon book. There's nothing of value to me in the TA coupon book either so my TA has used the points for other things such as a free 2 category upgrade or a bottle of wine.
Talking to my TA recently, TA's apparently don't need to use amenity points for the coupon books. They are just extra for certain bookings/promotions. I told him I didn't want one on our last cruise, but they were included anyway. Ended up using the $5 off coupon for the Sommelier/Maitre d' Wine Tasting. Don't always do the $25 wine tasting but it was something good to do on a sea day with friends. That one turned out to be a very good deal. I noticed when we got home that we didn't get the discount and called to ask for a $5 credit to our card. Instead, they gave us $25 OBC for our cruise next week :)

Frank, Talked to the Group Services person on the Emerald while setting up our M&G. She talked to the Food and Beverage Manager and was told that they would start offering the Wine bottle packages again. I will check when we are on board next week.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Talking to my TA recently, TA's apparently don't need to use amenity points for the coupon books. They are just extra for certain bookings/promotions. I told him I didn't want one on our last cruise, but they were included anyway. Ended up using the $5 off coupon for the Sommelier/Maitre d' Wine Tasting. Don't always do the $25 wine tasting but it was something good to do on a sea day with friends. That one turned out to be a very good deal. I noticed when we got home that we didn't get the discount and called to ask for a $5 credit to our card. Instead, they gave us $25 OBC for our cruise next week :)

Frank, Talked to the Group Services person on the Emerald while setting up our M&G. She talked to the Food and Beverage Manager and was told that they would start offering the Wine bottle packages again. I will check when we are on board next week.

Thanks Brian...several years ago my TA sent me the options to use amenity points so we could have our choice when she got a group rate. Not many things stay the same & thanks for the update.

Hopefully you'll have the wine package & I've kept your post describing both options. We just booked a 14 day Alaska cruise on the Coral in July & maybe they'll have it available but doubt it since it's a 7 day b2b which we booked as a 14 day cruise because it was less expensive with more OBC. :)

Thanks Brian...several years ago my TA sent me the options to use amenity points so we could have our choice when she got a group rate. Not many things stay the same & thanks for the update.
I might have misunderstood him but that is what I thought he said. I just looked at the book that was in our room in January and it was the 2012 book but they still honored it.
Hopefully you'll have the wine package & I've kept your post describing both options. We just booked a 14 day Alaska cruise on the Coral in July & maybe they'll have it available but doubt it since it's a 7 day b2b which we booked as a 14 day cruise because it was less expensive with more OBC. :)
We did a B2B on the Golden in Alaska last fall but booked as two cruises because we were originally waitlisted for a Window Suite on the second leg. Group Services rep checked and said they would be offered but that was incorrect info. The Golden only offered the packages on the Hawaiian cruises.

We’re not regular shareholders but do usually purchase the 100 shares to get the OBC. I just purchased last week for our upcoming June trip and then went to download the Shareholder benefit request form. It now says that travel needed to be booked by February 28, 2013 and is only applicable to sailings through July 21, 2013. I hope they extend it.

Where does one go to buy shares?