Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

I suppose, but I more object to the fact that the boxes are small and there's no spare in the cabin. Yes, you can ask for one, but it might not be replenished. And you have to put it someplace.

Never had a problem getting an extra box of Kleenex for the night stand. We always have 2 boxes (bathroom & nightstand) and whenever one is empty it is replenished without having to ask.

I see most of you toss the "useless" coupon book but isn't that the one that used to have a 2 for one coffee card coupon in it? That was a useful coupon in my opinion.

This is the coupon I am looking for!! So just to confirm, this coupon is in the book which princess will give out to everyone? Do we need to ask for it?

This is the coupon I am looking for!! So just to confirm, this coupon is in the book which princess will give out to everyone? Do we need to ask for it?

The BOGO coffee card coupon is ancient history. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

I suppose, but I more object to the fact that the boxes are small and there's no spare in the cabin. Yes, you can ask for one, but it might not be replenished. And you have to put it someplace.

Spare anything can easily be found on the carts which obstruct the corridors, towels, toiletries,paper tissues etc. Its not like the stewards have to account for that stuff and it saves having to bother them.

We have been in balcony and minis but have only ever seen the waffle weave robes. We are Platinum. I don't know if you need a suite, to be elite, or just a special guest of theirs to get the fluffy ones you see in the brochures. Maybe someone will tell us both what the secret is to getting the better robes.

As to what the coupon books are really good for. . . lead me to think about our last cruise. I got a silly cold and had to resort to the tissues they provide. BRING YOUR FAVORITE TISSUES WITH YOU!!!! The ones on the ship don't even get you through the first blow! Goes right through the crunchy paper passed off as tissues! I always carry the small individual packs with me but just had not brought enough for a cold too! Now I know better!

Happy cruising.

Aloha.....

I was just on the Sapphire. I asked for robes on my personalizer, but they were not in the cabin when we arrived. They were still being laundered and arrived shortly. They were the light weight ones. AND ... they were so small that I could not close them completely around my middle. I am not tiny, but not above average either. Only suite passengers get those lovely thick robes. They are nice, but really heavy.

It is much easier to pack the little packages of tissues than a big box. The cabin tissues are not only rough, but about 5/8 the size of a regular tissue. I remember the run to Longs for those (insider comment).

I try to always have a talk with my cabin steward the first afternoon, he will almost always come around to introduce himself. I don't like the heavy duvets they put on the beds, and I tell him to make up the bed with sheets. I get rid of the expensive water in the cabin, and from now on, I will get rid of the pool towel as I never use it. While your cabin steward is trained to learn and accommodate himself to your needs and habits, it is an excellent idea to tell him what you want up front. Robes for sure would fall under this. Don't suffer in silence.

I generally toss out the coupon book near the end of the cruise.

This was a learning experience for me. I asked the cabin steward to remove our mini-bar. He politely asked if we wouldn't mind just stashing them behind the television to save him time on a one week cruise. Those extra minutes really assisted him. I was happy to help him out. So from now on, I will just put those items that are "in our way" in a safe place. I move the life jackets from the cabinet to the shelf above the closet since I am too short to reach for anything up there. The pool towels are also place on the same shelf. The mini-bar will go behind the television.

I am working on another plan for the removal of the mini-bar. Working really hard to reach Elite! Then those little bottles will be all mine.

I recently received both the Princess' and Travel Agent's coupon books. Not much in them to be worthwhile. I've only heard about the coffee coupon and would love to see that reintroduced (either 2 for 1 coffee or coffee mug). Princess, are you listening?

This was a learning experience for me. I asked the cabin steward to remove our mini-bar. He politely asked if we wouldn't mind just stashing them behind the television to save him time on a one week cruise. Those extra minutes really assisted him. I was happy to help him out. So from now on, I will just put those items that are "in our way" in a safe place. I move the life jackets from the cabinet to the shelf above the closet since I am too short to reach for anything up there. The pool towels are also place on the same shelf. The mini-bar will go behind the television.

I am working on another plan for the removal of the mini-bar. Working really hard to reach Elite! Then those little bottles will be all mine.

I recently received both the Princess' and Travel Agent's coupon books. Not much in them to be worthwhile. I've only heard about the coffee coupon and would love to see that reintroduced (either 2 for 1 coffee or coffee mug). Princess, are you listening?

I'm confused. I thought if a mini-bar was in the room it already WAS yours. I asked to have the soda and water (that they charge for) removed from my room and was told they didn't do that and to just stash it behind the TV if I didn't want it but I didn't think they put a mini-bar setup in a room unless it was a perk of the room for no extra charge. Is this incorrect?

I'm confused. I thought if a mini-bar was in the room it already WAS yours. I asked to have the soda and water (that they charge for) removed from my room and was told they didn't do that and to just stash it behind the TV if I didn't want it but I didn't think they put a mini-bar setup in a room unless it was a perk of the room for no extra charge. Is this incorrect?

I apologize. I confused myself...

Yes, cabins stock ONLY water and soda in regular cabins. These can be stashed behind the television. You are correct. Only suites and Elite staterooms are stocked with complimentary mini-bars.

I have so many cruises booked trying to reach Elite, that I can't keep things straight.

Sorry for the misinformation. Thanks for pointing this error out to me (in a most polite way).

Awwww!!! :( very disappointed! I was thinking to get one, so both me & my hubby can use it at the same time.

I keep hearing the free coffee sucks, is it true?

Many consider the Princess coffee sub par. I suggest you give it a try. Some like it. I tolerate it. I find it is not too bad if:

It is hot

I dump the last 1/2 inch or so.

I always bring my own coffee mug. The coffee cups they have in the MDR are sissy cups. I like the coffee they have in the MDR and the buffet. I put cream and sugar in it anyway so it tastes pretty good. I sometimes will bring my own flavored coffee creamers with me.

I always bring my own coffee mug. The coffee cups they have in the MDR are sissy cups. I like the coffee they have in the MDR and the buffet. I put cream and sugar in it anyway so it tastes pretty good. I sometimes will bring my own flavored coffee creamers with me.

I generally bring a travel mug with me. I do get up early and carrying a coffee cup around the ship with no lid is a losing proposition. Generally a cheap plastic one (I usually can find one in my pantry). I left it for the cabin steward last cruise as I could feel liquid between the layers and it didn't seem worth taking home.

Another thing I use is a collapsible, folding plate cover, just the thing if you want to walk your lunch from the buffet out on the busy deck or even back to your cabin to eat al fresco on the balcony without using room service. It is opaque, proof against nosy eyes.

Regarding the spare box of tissues mentioned above, I will try that next time.

Many consider the Princess coffee sub par. I suggest you give it a try. Some like it. I tolerate it. I find it is not too bad if:

It is hot

I dump the last 1/2 inch or so.

It is pretty bad (I understand it is made from coffee syrup). It is drinkable and has caffeine and I ask no more.

Aloha.....

I was just on the Sapphire. I asked for robes on my personalizer, but they were not in the cabin when we arrived. They were still being laundered and arrived shortly. They were the light weight ones. AND ... they were so small that I could not close them completely around my middle. I am not tiny, but not above average either. Only suite passengers get those lovely thick robes. They are nice, but really heavy.

This happened to us last year. The robes were so small they would barely fit a barbie doll. I mentioned this here on CC and have been told that you can ask for a larger robe.

If I get small ones again I will ask for a larger one and see what happens.

My First princess cruise last year and the first cup of coffee was very pour, but after a cup or two you do get used to it, I drink it black, no sugar so I did have the FULL coffee taste! Am considering the coffee card for this cruise

Sent from my mobile device

Does Priness charge for Bottled water throughout the ship? If yes, can we bring water and soda on board with us? If we buy a bottle of liquor from the bar for our cabin use, do we have to buy their mixers, too?

Sailberg

Does Princess charge for Bottled water throughout the ship? YES

If yes, can we bring water and soda on board with us? YES

If we buy a bottle of liquor from the bar for our cabin use, do we have to buy their mixers, too? NO

Does Priness charge for Bottled water throughout the ship? If yes, can we bring water and soda on board with us? If we buy a bottle of liquor from the bar for our cabin use, do we have to buy their mixers, too?

Sailberg

I believe all bottled water is an extra charge. You can, however, bring a case of water with you if you like. No problem there. I just drink the ship's water but my wife has a brand of slightly flavored water she likes so she brings a bunch of that onboard.

You can take all the soda or mixer you like onboard with you.

As for buying a bottle of liquor from the bar to have in your room... I've wondered about this. I've seen it mentioned but haven't had it verified that it can be done or the cost of a bottle purchased this way. I know that the room service bottles are very small and idiotically priced.

I find it extremely annoying that you can't purchase liquor from the duty free shop to consume onboard.

Edited by Thrak

Re: Ship's water...so you fill bottles out of the tap? it seems awkward to bring a case of water on board. I can imagine thm opening every bottle to ck for alcohol!

Yes, we have been told 375mm size liquor purchased from the bar are the norm and are in the mid-$20's. We just would enjoy the convenience of a cocktail or two in our cabin before dinner and not pay room service prices (which we have been told run almost $10 a drink)

All these rules and costs are discouraging and put a damper on our first ever cruise coming up in September to Alaska on the Grand Princess.

Awwww!!! :( very disappointed! I was thinking to get one, so both me & my hubby can use it at the same time.

I keep hearing the free coffee sucks, is it true?

Yes the on tap coffee at the buffet is terrible but I can usually tolerate if I dilute it with hot water and add half and half. If you drink it black good luck.

All these rules and costs are discouraging and put a damper on our first ever cruise coming up in September to Alaska on the Grand Princess.

You will find the same on all cruise lines, except the very expensive higher end cruise lines... This is how Princess, and all other cruise lines, make their money, not by selling cabins. This is how fares remain affordable. Do what I do, budget in advance for what you think you will spend, and add another $100 to it. This has worked well for me in the past. Also, I deposit funds with Princess towards onboard credit so that my bill at the end of the cruise is either non-existent or very low.

Another option for you is to find a good TA who will provide some onboard credit or a discount on the cruise. It still is a very good value compared to a land vacation.

Re: Ship's water...so you fill bottles out of the tap? it seems awkward to bring a case of water on board. I can imagine thm opening every bottle to ck for alcohol!

Yes, we have been told 375mm size liquor purchased from the bar are the norm and are in the mid-$20's. We just would enjoy the convenience of a cocktail or two in our cabin before dinner and not pay room service prices (which we have been told run almost $10 a drink)

Ship's water is fine to drink. We bring a couple of empties. The large mouth ones work best. I fill them with ice and then add water.

Drink prices depend on what you want. We drink Dewars and Water and Gin & Tonic. I think they are about $5.50 per drink plus the 15%. So a lot less than the $10 you mention