onboard expenses account?

Well, you really don't have a choice about setting up the account - you have to do it whether it's by cash, debit or credit card. Beyond that, it really is a matter of what you're financially comfortable with.

Hi, I am checking in and have come to the bit about setting up an onboard expense account, which is the best way, card, cash or not setting one up?

Thanks

If you're OK with using a credit card, that's a convenient way to secure the expense account. Otherwise you have to stand in line on the last night of the cruise and pay off the account with cash, after which your onboard account is usually closed.

I always use my Discover credit card. Cash is a hassle -- standing in line at the service desk on the ship. If you use a debit card, I think the ship pre-charges -- withdraws some standard amount. They of course put the amount back if you don't spend it, but I have read from CCers that they became overdrawn because of this. Plus, with a credit card, you do have the option of disputing a charge. You might not win, but at least it is an option. Plus, I get cash back with my Discover card.

Thanks guys for your replies, really helpful.

Also. do you think we could change from MDR at 8.30 to flexi dining? (my time, i think) when onboard? The travel agent put down the wrong one.

Thanks

Also. do you think we could change from MDR at 8.30 to flexi dining? (my time, i think) when onboard? The travel agent put down the wrong one.

Thanks

Go straight to the Main Dining Room after boarding the ship and ask to be put on My Time Dining :) They will do their very best to accomodate your wishes.

Thanks

Can yo call the TA now and have them change it to MTD? Then you can make your reservations online. We had the late seating and changed to MTD, it was easy

I rang them this afternoon and they rang Royal C, and it was mentioned that it was too late and too close to sailing (30th june) to change.

i'll try and do it on board.

Thanks

One dining tip: Often the buffet has many of the same items as the MDR, and the buffet at dinner is really good and not crowded. At least, it is one option some (or all) nights if MTD is not available.

I rang them this afternoon and they rang Royal C, and it was mentioned that it was too late and too close to sailing (30th june) to change.

Thanks

What ship?

We went to dining as soon as we got on the Oasis (11:30am). We asked to switch from late dining to MTD. They said that they would get back to us. We got notice by the next day that there were no possibilities for us to switch.

It's has just gotten so popular!

can i just clarify..... MDR is a fixed time each night on the same table? and MTD is a different time each night?

MDR= a fixed dinner time at the same table with the same staff.

MTD= is a time you choose to pick to eat. They ask that you pick a daily time, but that is not required. You may be seated at the same table every night if your dinner time is reserved or the host learns your dining habits. You have the same staff every night if you are seated at the same table every night. OTH, you could be at different tables with different servers every night.

For us in the past, we have found when we chose MTD, we had the same table and servers every night. We did not make reservations prior to dinner, but we seemed to show up roughly the same time each night. Our wait time at the most has been about 0-5 minutes.

Where as I read the other day.

Traditional dining was on wait list?

And mtd was the only dining available.

Go figure.

Alot still prefer traditional so there's no possible waiting.

You go straight to table.

Plus with mtd you have to pay tips with cruise fee.

I got my tips removed until the cruise there added daily to Ss account.

Thanks

How annoying for you.

Lately they have been trying to PUSH people into MTD. Maybe they pushed too many already. That would mean that it will be easy for you to switch once you board, and some of those people ask for your set dining time. :)

can i just clarify..... MDR is a fixed time each night on the same table? and MTD is a different time each night?

MDR means Main Dining Room, and does not refer to actual dining times.

You'll see "MDR" used about breakfast and lunch too.

Fixed and Traditional are the words used for the fixed time dining.

If you're OK with using a credit card, that's a convenient way to secure the expense account. Otherwise you have to stand in line on the last night of the cruise and pay off the account with cash, after which your onboard account is usually closed.

Can I do both? ie give them a credit card to pay off the balance automatically at the end of the cruise, but give them cash near the beginning of the cruise broadly equivalent to what Im likely to spend?

Is this a cash account or a credit account?

Can I do both? ie give them a credit card to pay off the balance automatically at the end of the cruise, but give them cash near the beginning of the cruise broadly equivalent to what Im likely to spend?

Is this a cash account or a credit account?

Yes, you can always add cash to your account. Royal is very good about accepting cash.;)

Archived