Where (and what) would be your first dinner on board?

trvlfan

People often do not wish to dine in the specialty restaurant after a very long day in port.

It seems to me that the staff are encouraged to pamper the passengers who remain onboard the ship in a Port where most folks are off sightseeing.

"Extra" Reservations are only a part of "the treatment"

I believe that the most effective way to get more specialty restaurant reservations is to be very flexible on the time you will go to eat. If you are willing to eat early, you will find many more opportunities.

Pam, I, too often found that was the case in previous cruises. However, on the last couple of cruises we have done, more people have been requesting early reservations and the later ones have gone begging! Not sure what's responsible for the change.

We seldom book specialty reservations ahead of the cruise and learned of this new phenomenon when booking once we were aboard. We were amazed to find all the early reservations full, and the only ones available around 8:30. when I remarked on this, the reservations person agreed that it was a recent change in preference. We like to done early, so may have to rethink our waiting until we are on board.

Is it a valid tactic to book your specialty resto nights early in a cruise in the hopes of further ressies later in the cruise?

OT ...

I suggest booking the nights you want and then try for others. Not unlike the usual advise to book early to get the cabin you want rather than taking a chance on a GTY or a promo, etc, and not getting a preferred deck or area.

The difference I can think of with your tactic and mine (booking what we prefer as first choice and then trying for others) is if the underlying premise is that they will not give extras if they see you have bookings further out.

I have no idea if they would not give you an extra today if you have a yet-to-be used guaranteed seating for another day. I think it should not matter any more than if they look at how many you have already had and then decide whether to allocate another or not. So if you take them all early and try for extras later is equal to trying for extras before you have taken the guaranteed seatings.

There are too many variables whether there are any extras and whether you will get one so for me I book my first choice and then perhaps, try for another. Personally though the especially restaurants can loose their specialness if frequented too often and I enjoy the variety of the GDR and Terrace so extras are just more icing on the cake.

So for all of you experienced O cruisers, where do you dine the first night out, and... what do you like to order (especially if you think certain items may run out)?

Back to the OP's question, we usually prefer the GDR first night. Like JimandStan too much going for us - it is a big day! Plus we feel a little rushed etc to truly make the most of one of the specialty restaurants. The first night in the GDR with all the hubbub in the room of first night adventures, meeting new pax and old, excited conversations around the room of things to come. The GDR is grand and the cruise starts off to a grand beginning.

That said, for our upcoming Alaska cruise I hope to find a nice table out on deck in Terrace (Tapas) to enjoy the marvelous scenery cruising BC's Inside Passage. It is one of the few places where the ship sails so close to shore (so very close in Seymour Narrows they time passing with the tides) for hours. There - that's my pre-cruise excitement.

Pam, I, too often found that was the case in previous cruises. However, on the last couple of cruises we have done, more people have been requesting early reservations and the later ones have gone begging! Not sure what's responsible for the change.

Don, perhaps you have been taking longer cruises, and, therefore, cruising with a correspondently more senior demographic?

Don, perhaps you have been taking longer cruises, and, therefore, cruising with a correspondently more senior demographic?

Last two were a 10 day Western Caribbean this past December and a 14 day transAtlantic about a month ago; both on Riviera. Not sure what accounts for the change, as we saw many of the same folks we've seen before. We were shocked; for years we've waited to do our specialty restaurant reservations until we are on board, and never had difficulty getting an early table. In fact, I've advised folks the best way to get a table for two is to request an early seating. Not so on our last two cruises...

Since we like to unpack and not get dressed on the first night we usually eat in the Terrace so many wonderful choices up there.

Jancruz1

Jan, we enjoy the terrace the first night also. On our next cruise, in just a little over a week, we plan to check in and then go back out and enjoy Istanbul a little more on our own. Our ship will be overnighting, so we don't have to rush back. The terrace will be perfect for that night! :D

Judy

Three weeks ago on our first night on Marina, Meg and I ate at Jaques. All the Specialty restaurants are very good, but Jaques is our favorite. One of the reasons is that there are so many things we really like on the menu.

On our first night Meg had the Duck Foie Gras Terrine and I had the Molten Goat Cheese Soufflé for starters.

We both had the Heart of Boston Lettuce with Shallots and Roquefort Salad.

For entrees we both had Five Peppercorn Filet Steak with Light Brandy Sauce.

There are many great dishes on the menu and we were back twice to enjoy them.

Ditto!

Three weeks ago we were on the Riviera and on the first night we ate at our favorite restaurant, Jaques. There were four us and we all had the Boston Lettuce Salad, Cheese Soufflé and the Five Peppercorn Filet. I guess great minds think alike ! :D

On our so far only Marina cruise a year and a half ago we were a group of six on the first night and tried to get a reservation in Jacques. I had the other room numbers but didn't have a chance to give them to our butler so he couldn't make the reservation.

Therefore we decided just to go down to the GDR. We told the maitre d' we were a group of six and he said, "Do you want to go to Jacques?"

So we did and had a fabulous meal. There were lots of empty seats that night, but not later on in the cruise.

We'll probably do that again in November for the BCN-RIO cruise. To make sure I get my mussels!

Mura

It seems to me that the staff are encouraged to pamper the passengers who remain onboard the ship in a Port where most folks are off sightseeing.

"Extra" Reservations are only a part of "the treatment"

I somehow infer from this that doing a specialty restaurant on a port day is suboptimal? I've done this on Regent with no problem. I have La Reserve booked for one of our few port days on our Riviera crossing. I pondered this problem, but it was the only night the Exploration menu was offered.

OT ...

I suggest booking the nights you want and then try for others. ...

The difference I can think of with your tactic and mine (booking what we prefer as first choice and then trying for others) is if the underlying premise is that they will not give extras if they see you have bookings further out.

On a TA, it's a bit tough to have first or second choices. In general I'd prefer the specialty restos on sea days, but most of the itinerary is that. Last time on RSSC we booked Prime 7 for the first night, and it was glorious--not full, window seat, attentive service.

As a first-time O cruiser, I think I'd like to try them all early in the game, so I can decide if I like them.

Wendy,

I don't think people are saying the food or service is less good on port days. It's more that people are often tired after touring and would prefer not to dress up (to the extent that they do for specialty restaurants -- I always try to look somewhat better in the specialty restaurants than I do in Terrace or the GDR).

That is one benefit of a suite, of course ... they bring it to YOU.

Come to think of it, there may be a benefit to booking on a port day if the place won't be so crowded ... can't say that I've noticed that! Our last two cruises were very port intensive (only one sea day on each, one on Marina, one on Regatta) and the restaurants were always crowded after the first night.

Mura

P.S. I'm sure you'll like them. We all have our favorites, of course. On the "R" ships we prefer Polo to Toscana. Most people (at least those whose posts I've read) disagree and have done so from the beginning. Maybe our disappointment in Toscana is that we can get wonderful Italian food in NYC.

On Marina/Riviera we like Jacques best. From the posts a majority of people seem to prefer Red Ginger but we were disappointed there (as were our dinner companions that night). We could have returned but chose not to. (And maybe our disappointment was at least partly due to the great Asian food we have in NYC. We're not big fans of Asian fusion and prefer Szechuan to Cantonese. Even though they did spice up my dish at my request, it could still have been spicier.)

So it's individual! But pretty much all dinner offerings on O are excellent. And if you're on Marina or Riviera be SURE to have at least one dinner in Terrace. It's quite amazing. You're bound to find something you love, be it lobster or filet or ... fill in the blanks. You'll probably find TOO MUCH that you'll love, but that's another issue.

We have great Asian food here too in Toronto; I too prefer Szechuan. I was never very impressed with the Asian Fusion restaurant on Regent, but we'll no doubt try Red Ginger.

What I don't understand is why they would schedule the only night for one of the La Reserve menus on one of our few port days. Then again, we can sleep in the next morning, since we'll be doing nothing but rattle around the ship!

As a first-time O cruiser, I think I'd like to try them all early in the game, so I can decide if I like them.

Yes, I agree - that is a good plan. Then try for extras in your favourite.

We have great Asian food here too in Toronto; I too prefer Szechuan. I was never very impressed with the Asian Fusion restaurant on Regent, but we'll no doubt try Red Ginger.

What I don't understand is why they would schedule the only night for one of the La Reserve menus on one of our few port days. Then again, we can sleep in the next morning, since we'll be doing nothing but rattle around the ship!

I've found RG rather tame but still enjoyed some items as they are. DW on the other hand is much more sensitive to heat so Rg is perfect. If RG menu reads 'spicy' it is more to do with the blending of spices than heat. RG is more Asian fusion than one variety of Chinese such as Szechuan. If you can remove Szechuan from your anticipation RG will be much more enjoyable.

As for La Reserve, on board they very well might offer additional nights. If they anticipate sufficient interest more are added. In fact if it sells out with pre-cruise bookings they might even add another seating ahead of sailing. Check 'My Booking's on their website for additions & changes. I would not miss La Reserve though I do have to sell DW on it especially having (thoroughly) enjoyed both of the 'standard' menus. DW, a wine drinker but not an aficionado, is likely not interested in the $330 / couple evening.

But they DO "hotten" it up upon request. Not as hot as I'd have liked, but they can't know what you mean when you ask for hotter food.

The owner of our favorite Szechuan restaurant in NYC's Chinatown back in the early '70s told us how it was hard for them to know since they frequently found that customers asked for spicy food and then complained that it was TOO spicy.

Mura

I think the key point to remember about Red Ginger, as pointed out by YoHoHo, is that it is NOT a Chinese restaurant as many novices to Oceania assume it is and are then disappointed. It is a true Asian fusion restaurant with some unusual but very good dishes (like crispy duck and watermelon salad). Some like it the way it is, others would prefer if it were a true Chinese restaurant.

I don't think my fortune teller's ball sees Thai, Szechuan, Cantonese, Hunanese, Japanese, and etc., restaurant's in the ships' futures ... :D

Maybe they could have separate tables. This one could be Thai, that one something else. But that would be rather confusing for the kitchen, I suppose.

Mura

• 2 weeks later...

I heard the MDR has roast suckling pig on the menu, anyone try it? Never been on Oceania yet, we go in 7/2014. On Princess we look at the MDR menu and select a night when nothing thrills us then go to specialty dining. Plan to do the same thing on Oceania are reservations that hard to get at the specialty restaurants?

I heard the MDR has roast suckling pig on the menu, anyone try it? Never been on Oceania yet, we go in 7/2014. On Princess we look at the MDR menu and select a night when nothing thrills us then go to specialty dining. Plan to do the same thing on Oceania are reservations that hard to get at the specialty restaurants?

Oceania doesn't post the MDR menu ahead of time. The menu for the MDR appears outside the MDR after lunch for that day so you will not know ahead of time to make a specialty dining reservation for that specific day.

You can make your specialty dining room reservation on line prior to boarding. How far in advance of embarkation depends on your cabin classification.

Yes they are. Although I believe that doing it your way was the original intention when Oceania set up the dining rooms, the Specialty Restaurants have become so popular that waiting until "the day" to try for a reservation is setting yourself up for disappointment unless you are in one of the top Suites.

I don't remember seeing it on the MDR menu but they have it occasionally at the carving station in the Terrace Café (usually at lunch).

I would make your specialty reservation as soon as you can and possibly try to 'switch" once on board if you don't like the MDR menu. Of course, there is always the Terrace Café for dinner that is, IMO, far superior to the MDR on the Marina/Riviera.

On Princess you can usually go to the specialty restaurant without prior notice as it is for a fee and thus not as much in demand as it is on Oceania, where it is not only free (included) but also much better :)

Enjoy your first Oceania cruise!

Can we make a reservation for embarkation evening once we board by going to the specialty restaurants to see what may be available?

We did not want to use up one of our reservations for the first night aboard.

Thanks!

Archived