Airfare from US to Barcelona

Lydia B.

I would recommend subscibing to the newsletters of the airlines that serve your destination and book as soon as they release the first specials for that time of year. As ohers have said, this happens usually about six months in advance. You will have to be prepared to book within hours after you see such a special as it will sell out very quickly.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. I did some research and generally speaking looks like the best deals are 4-6 months out. Right now around $1161 which is more than the cruise which cracks me up.

You can't compare the price of your cruise to airfare pricing. I think you will find that ~$1000 is a pretty good fare to Europe. I watch pricing for TATLs all the time, and have never found the best pricing 4-6 months out. It just seems to go up as the flights get closer, because the lower fare buckets have sold out. You just never know. It would be interesting if you would come back when you book and post what price you found.

That said, I think it is too early to purchase these tickets; I'd start watching now. Lowest I see for one stop is around $1200 a ticket.

We flew from Philadelphia to Barcelona in September for $1150 a person with US Air. Booked it in late July because it was a last minute cruise we decided to go on. But on the way there we connected in Germany to Lufthansa Air set up by US Air and when we arrived Lufthansa went on strike so we were stuck in Frankfurt for 10 hours and missed our day before the cruise we planned to spend in Barcelona. We will only fly direct from now on to Europe.

My experience: book directly with the airline and not a supplier like Orbitz or Travelocity. Airlines will work with you as far as seating assignments and changes.

My airfare: $1057 ea from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona. I booked FLL because it was $200 less than Palm Beach (where I live). March booking for Sept. Now the fare is lower out of Palm Beach and Orbitz wants $300 to change it. The airlines would have done it for free.

While prices may go down, seat choices won't. All the aisle and window seats are booked well in advance. Worth a few$$ not to be stuck in a bad seat for a long haul. I searched everything possible and took the best deal on USAIR - less than some, more than some but no extremely long layovers or multiple connections.

Same thing happened go me with orbitz but I got the main airline for the tickets, ie. I was flying horizon, Alaska and united. Orbitz told me it was united. I called united and told the united rep I was told to make all changes directly through them, so I was able to change my flights with just the united fee and not the ridiculous orbitz fee. Not saying it would work again but just thought I would mention my experience.

Oh here is another one too...my son missed his Christmas flight home from USA to Canada booked through expedia. Called expedia and they wanted to charge 1000 bucks. Called the airline and they put him on the next day flight for $150. I never mentioned it was booked through expedia.

Therefore, in my experiences, you can book through the third party sites but make any changes directly with the airline. Again, not saying it will always work but I've been lucky or maybe it will, who knows. Sometimes it depends on the rep u get on the other end of the phone too.

For those of you who have flown from the east coast of the US to Barcelona how far in advance did you book your airfare? I don't leave on our cruise until the first part of April 2014 but am already poking around.

I would really appreciate your input about when you booked who you flew with a

and a ball park as to what you paid. Thanks so very much and I hope everyone had a nice Mothers Day. Lydia of Ohio

We just booked a one way ticket from JFK-BCN for our TA in October and paid $470.00 p/p thru 1800flyeurope dot com non-stop with AA, can't beat that. I read about that company here, looked them up, they were the cheapest and booked right away. Hope this helps!

For those of you who have flown from the east coast of the US to Barcelona how far in advance did you book your airfare? I don't leave on our cruise until the first part of April 2014 but am already poking around.

and a ball park as to what you paid. Thanks so very much and I hope everyone had a nice Mothers Day. Lydia of Ohio

We are doing a TA next April, early to mid April. So I have been poking around too early... partly because I wanted to us AA miles for a return.

Given this, really depends on when you are going in April... Easter is on April 20th. If you are flying the week before or after... would book sooner than later. I found a number of hotels were already booked on April 20th the day we arrive in Barcelona... so decided to book early.

Folks you have all been so helpful and wanted to get your input. Airline rates for April NOW from Columbus Ohio to Barcelona with 1 stop are at $1161. I had put in some travel alerts and see than the same flight in November just jumped almost 25% to $1400+ What do you think about the $1161 high, good, could go lower?? Thanks again. Lydia

Just booked from Boston to Barcelona 4 months out for $845 in Oct. The cost had gone up over 1000. I've been monitoring for the past 8 months. I usually book early but in this case we actually saved by waiting.

I booked 6 months in advance October MIA-BCN direct $1047 R/T total for coach, (using eVIP points to upgrade to Business :D so not bad in my book.

I'm currently trying to book a MIA-LHR for August and can't find anything near that price, its double for connecting and nearly triple for direct. grrrrrr

We flew from Philadelphia to Barcelona in September for $1150 a person with US Air. Booked it in late July because it was a last minute cruise we decided to go on. But on the way there we connected in Germany to Lufthansa Air set up by US Air and when we arrived Lufthansa went on strike so we were stuck in Frankfurt for 10 hours and missed our day before the cruise we planned to spend in Barcelona. We will only fly direct from now on to Europe.

Don't blame you. We don't connect anywhere. More chances to lose baggage. For a travel worry wart like me I will spend the money.

We just booked one way, Miami to Barcelona, non-stop for $541 p/p. If you are cruising w/ RCI or Celebrity you can get discounted flights through Choice Air .com All you need is your cruise booking number. If you can't access Choice on your own try going through CruCon.com.

Regular non-stop flights were quoted at $3000 on Kayak.

• 1 month later...

Airfare to Europe usually goes down in the Fall. I would try to book my air after Labor Day or even much later. Anything between $600- $800.00, I would think. I live in the Midwest and I paid about $750 for travel in September.

Judy

We just booked one way, Miami to Barcelona, non-stop for $541 p/p. If you are cruising w/ RCI or Celebrity you can get discounted flights through Choice Air .com All you need is your cruise booking number. If you can't access Choice on your own try going through CruCon.com.

Regular non-stop flights were quoted at $3000 on Kayak.

Yes--I will second this. Our one-way flight from BWI to BCN is $488 pp for October 2013.

If you are not on Royal or Celebrity, see if your cruise line has an air program.

Choice air is not often cheaper for domestic travel. However, for international travel it is great.

Our cruise is May 2014, air RT DFW to BCN is $1200pp prox, via Choice Air or AA direct online. Will fares typically go down as we get closer? Or is this fair price and should look to book now?

Archived