Ship time versus port time

Silly ? But how do I know what ship time is and how do I know what port time is? Someone had mentioned to make sure back on ship, must be aware of "ship" time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly ? But how do I know what ship time is and how do I know what port time is? Someone had mentioned to make sure back on ship, must be aware of "ship" time

Port time will be the local time based upon what time zone you are in. Sometimes ship time will be an hour different; so if you go on shore pay attention; when u walk off the ship they will have a sign telling you what time you need to be back onboard; ask a crew member what the ships time is; then u can set your watch to that time.

They usually have a clock when leaving stating the current ship time. Make sure your watch matches. The last eastern cruise I took, I never had to change my watch from the port time in Ft. Lauderdale. Ship stayed on eastern time the whole cruise.

They usually have a clock when leaving stating the current ship time. Make sure your watch matches. The last eastern cruise I took, I never had to change my watch from the port time in Ft. Lauderdale. Ship stayed on eastern time the whole cruise.

While my last Western Cruise to Cozumel,we changed clocks on the JW,while those on the LB stayed on ship time..

Each ship does it own thing......some change,some don't.

If you change,it will tell you in the Cruise Compass the night before and you can put the tv on to see the correct ship's time..

Just turn on your cabin TV and select the channel showing ships position, speed, etc. It will show ships time and stick to that and you will be OK.

Most ships go with the port time.

I have found this to NOT be the case on most of my cruises. Most of my cruises stay on the departure port time. One way to know -- Does the daily newsletter tell you to change your clocks/watches?

I have found this to NOT be the case on most of my cruises. Most of my cruises stay on the departure port time. One way to know -- Does the daily newsletter tell you to change your clocks/watches?

I have also found it not to usually be the case that the ships change to local time. However, when it has happened we have had a separate sheet of paper delivered to the cabin along with the Compass stating when the time change would occur. This past March we had three time changes on Indy during a one week cruise and they were very good about getting the information out.

So the times listed in the itinerary - are they ship or local time?

Need to coordinate with local tour guides. We've always changed to local time and would be reminded at dinner and shows.

Seems it would be very confusing not to have the same policy fleet wide...

So the times listed in the itinerary - are they ship or local time?

Need to coordinate with local tour guides. We've always changed to local time and would be reminded at dinner and shows.

Seems it would be very confusing not to have the same policy fleet wide...

Times listed in the itinerary are always ship time. However, ship time does not always equate to port time, there is not anyway to be absolutely sure what your particular cruise will do beforehand. Some of the other cruise lines are a little more uniform and often have ship time match port time. RCI on the other hand leaves this decision up to each ship, I have been on the same itin on the same ship a few months apart..... one time we changed time to match port time and the other time we did not. I have been in port where ship time was 2 hours different from port time. When you are dealing with independent tour operators just make sure they know you are using ship time. Good ones will quickly find out which ships alter time and which ones don't.

If you're asking in relation to your upcoming Jewel cruise, you will have no problem. San Juan and all the ports Jewel visits are in the same time zone - Atlantic Standard. Ship's time and local time will be the same.

If you're asking in relation to your upcoming Jewel cruise, you will have no problem. San Juan and all the ports Jewel visits are in the same time zone - Atlantic Standard. Ship's time and local time will be the same.

Thank you! One less thing to be confused about!

Thank you! One less thing to be confused about!

Another plus is that Atlantic Standard Time is the same as Eastern Daylight Time... EDT is -4hrs. GMT as is AST. Of course that changes when we return to Standard time later in the year.

Archived