Bermuda question

Sea Legs

Chances are that there will be more motion to and from Bermuda than in the Caribbean. However, we did Explorer to Bermuda last month and there was very little motion. We were told that the cruise before ours had much more motion.

You will be at the mercy of the weather gods. Seas are totally unpredictable. We sailed twice previously in the north Atlantic, and fortunately, had good weather and calm seas. I'm hoping it will be the same in August on our Bermuda cruise;):)

When we went to Bermuda we have 10-15 ft swells the first day. Defiantly felt the ship swaying but the rest of the trip was less than 4ft swells and was very smooth. Check out tide charts a few days before you go to know what the movement will be like good luck

:)

It definitely varies, but if forced to choose, I would say it is bumpier than the Caribbean. I have been on sailings that were extremely smooth, but most of them included a small amount of motion. Out of 5 or 6 cruises that stopped at Bermuda, I would say only 1 was really rough, where they had to put the bags on the stairs. That was in late July/early August and there were storms happening.

We went in May 5 years ago, it was fine going down there, you will definitely feel when you get near the end of the Chesapeake Bay and start hitting ocean. For our cruise going down to Bermuda was gentle rolling, but we were in a terrible storm on the last day coming back, it was pouring, deck chairs had to be tied down, the last night not many people made it to dinner,we were staying on deck 3, but decided to see how much the rolling ship changed with each level, we couldn't get past 6. Neither of us get seasick, it was just rolling so much it was hard to walk/stand and it was a little frightening to be honest, and I grew up on and around boats, and I'm used to the rocking and rolling and I still thought it was extreme. I was glad we had an interior room on deck 3, if we had been 6 or higher I wouldn't have gone to the cabin that night.

OK ... so my Deck 2 cabin is a good idea. When you book late in the game, you take what you can get. I've been wondering about the motion issue, since this is my first time to Bermuda. I bought Ginger gum and sea bands because the boards seem to indicate they help.

I've only had one day at sea that was rocky enough to result in spending the day laying down (Nordic Prince ... much smaller ship), so I'm hoping I'll be fine.

I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

My parents are boaters, they highly recommend Bonine, supposedly won't make you drowsy like dramamine and lasts longer, I took it on our rough return from Bermuda and never felt any motion sickness, just a great dislike of a ship that large rocking that much.

I cruised to Bermuda from Boston at the end of August/Early September a few years ago. The seas were fine. It was actually a lot smoother than some of the Caribbean cruises I've been on. But like others have said, its a crap shoot.

Just back from the 5/11 sailing on Explorer OTS. We had 65mph winds, high seas, thunderstorms and bad weather all the way down the coast. It's the first time in 10 cruises that I saw the crew putting out barf bags for cruisers:(.

That being said, I talked to crew members and they said it was the worst they'd seen on that route in 10 years. So, chances are you might get some rough seas, but nothing like we experienced.

PS: the waves didn't bother us and we enjoyed that cruise as much as any we've been on.

Cruising-w/kids, Can you find somewhere low and central to hang out if that happens? They have refurbished Grandeur since I was on it, but 5 years ago the lowest place you could hang out was deck 4. Maybe take some kids' games or activities, coloring books, etc to do sitting in the lounge in case it is rough??

Ack- this is making me nervous as I'm about to cruise to Bermuda with my little kids next weekend. We've got Sea Bands, meclizine, Dramamine and Emetrol but I worry about rough seas and everyone getting seasick :/

The fact is: most people do not get seasick - look forward to a great trip, get fresh air on the ship and look at the horizon from open decks if it is rough - your children will see it as a tame amusement park ride.

Archived