New crew workers on the NCL JEWEL SHIP

LucyR.

I just returned from cruising on the NCL JEWEL SHIP. I like talking with the crew workers and I found out that most of them are new workers. They all told me they love working on the Jewel ship and want to stay there.

I had dinner with Captain Lars Bergstrom and we spent a few minutes alone talking. He told me that he was planning to send his best workers to the new

NCL SHIP.... named "The Break Away".

The Jewel has a lot of new workers from ST. LUCIA and most of them are being trained on the Jewel so service was kind of slow in the main restaurant

where I ate most of the time. It was the Tsars main restaurant.

I had so much fun meeting the workers from all over the ship. I gave them lots of small gifts of warm gloves, scarves, caps, and other fun gifts for them to wear. They loved my small gifts. I was known as the lady with the gifts.

I was so happy to see the new workers from the Caribbean. It has been a long time since I have been there.

I was on a repositioning cruise to Vancouver. The Jewel will be cruising to Alaska so please be patient with the new crew workers.

Most of us had soooo much fun we wanted to stay longer on the ship. LucyR.

I just returned from cruising on the NCL JEWEL SHIP. I like talking with the crew workers and I found out that most of them are new workers. They all told me they love working on the Jewel ship and want to stay there.

I had dinner with Captain Lars Bergstrom and we spent a few minutes alone talking. He told me that he was planning to send his best workers to the new

The Jewel has a lot of new workers from ST. LUCIA and most of them are being trained on the Jewel so service was kind of slow in the main restaurant

I had so much fun meeting the workers from all over the ship. I gave them lots of small gifts of warm gloves, scarves, caps, and other fun gifts for them to wear. They loved my small gifts. I was known as the lady with the gifts.

I was so happy to see the new workers from the Caribbean. It has been a long time since I have been there.

I was on a repositioning cruise to Vancouver. The Jewel will be cruising to Alaska so please be patient with the new crew workers.

Glad you had fun. The Jewel always has great crew. Yes, a lot of top staff have "earned" the right to sail on the Norwegian Breakaway, the new ship that just started sailing out of New York.

Well heck ill just go ahead and ask I know others will be wondering how the heck do you get dinner with the captain?

Well heck ill just go ahead and ask I know others will be wondering how the heck do you get dinner with the captain?

I can jump in and say...on some ships they offer "dining with an officer " ...you sign up and names are drawn....There is usaually a sign up sheet at your CC M&G or at guest services..

Most of my favorite Jewel employees have moved onto the larger newer ships. As NCL is growing quite a bit over the next few years and with the addition of the Epic which required a lot of crew... they've had to take on a lot of new crew and train them on the older ships. The Captain remains the same for the Norwegian Jewel but everyone else has changed on down the line or moved ships. The Jewel is the ship I've spent the most time at sea on! :)

So since the crew is new and slow, do we get a refund for the slow service while the crew is learning? I think most people pay for good/great service, anything less is really not acceptable. The 'great' crew that is on the Breakaway now seem to be just as slow from the many reviews I have read.

I wonder where they will get the bulk of the crew for the Getaway?:confused:

The crew who took out Breakaway are being moved around over the next few months and vacationing. When they return they'll be on the EPIC to be close to Germany and when EPIC comes over to USA for her repositioning the crew will go to Getaway and new crew will take over on Epic. Most of the people who took out Breakaway know they're heading for Getaway's roll out. They've already been told to expect it with their vacation rotations. It's nice NCL is letting them plan that far in advance but too bad most of the crew will miss Christmas at home with their families. :cool:

So since the crew is new and slow, do we get a refund for the slow service while the crew is learning? I think most people pay for good/great service, anything less is really not acceptable. The 'great' crew that is on the Breakaway now seem to be just as slow from the many reviews I have read.

The only slowness experienced on Breakaway was from the stateroom steward on the Trans-Atlantic crossing. We couldn't get a rhythm with her after being out of the cabin for 2 hours and saying hello she still wouldn't get it as a sign to clean our cabin! Other than that the crew on the Breakaway were fantastic - fast and efficient. The initial day we boarded in Southampton the crew were still looking around for things but as the cruise went on that stopped completely.

"So since the crew is new and slow, do we get a refund for the slow service while the crew is learning? I think most people pay for good/great service, anything less is really not acceptable."

You never trained for a job and gave your customers a discount - I doubt it!

Cheers

Dennis

Good grief. :o Your kidding, right? :confused:

I have seen it all now... :eek:

VOLs159, What jaja said is true on how to eat dinner with the captain.

I attended the CC Meet & Greet and I was the last one out of approx. 30 persons who signed up to eat with the Captain. I was the last one to sign up and I wrote my name and wrote, "CHOOSE ME!"

They said it would be random selection. But I think most of us were chosen to eat with an OFFICER. I got lucky to be chosen to eat at the Captain's table.

I noticed there were 3 or 4 large tables with an Officer eating with the Cruise

Critic members.

Regarding the new cruise workers on the Jewel..... some may be slow in serving you but they are soooo happy to have a J-O-B.

When I was a very young gal I applied for a sales job at a major department store. The interviewer said to me that since I didn't have any experience that she couldn't hire me. I responded with, "If nobody gives me a sales job.... how will I get experience? SHE HIRED ME! YEA!!

When I became a professional career/financial aid college counselor years later. A young student told me that nobody would hire him because he didn't have any experience. So I hired him and he moved up in our office because he was a great worker. He became a permanent worker in our office.

So those of you who say you should get a discount for slow service... be nice to the new crew workers and try to remember how we all got our start on our first job. Or.... change to another ship if you don't have any compassion for the happy new crew workers. I hope to cruise again on the Jewel again because we all had sooo much fun and wanted more days on the Jewel. LucyR.

VOLs159, What jaja said is true on how to eat dinner with the captain.

I attended the CC Meet & Greet and I was the last one out of approx. 30 persons who signed up to eat with the Captain. I was the last one to sign up and I wrote my name and wrote, "CHOOSE ME!"

They said it would be random selection. But I think most of us were chosen to eat with an OFFICER. I got lucky to be chosen to eat at the Captain's table.

I noticed there were 3 or 4 large tables with an Officer eating with the Cruise

Critic members.

Regarding the new cruise workers on the Jewel..... some may be slow in serving you but they are soooo happy to have a J-O-B.

When I was a very young gal I applied for a sales job at a major department store. The interviewer said to me that since I didn't have any experience that she couldn't hire me. I responded with, "If nobody gives me a sales job.... how will I get experience? SHE HIRED ME! YEA!!

When I became a professional career/financial aid college counselor years later. A young student told me that nobody would hire him because he didn't have any experience. So I hired him and he moved up in our office because he was a great worker. He became a permanent worker in our office.

So those of you who say you should get a discount for slow service... be nice to the new crew workers and try to remember how we all got our start on our first job. Or.... change to another ship if you don't have any compassion for the happy new crew workers. I hope to cruise again on the Jewel again because we all had sooo much fun and wanted more days on the Jewel. LucyR.

Lucy, you are really great. Full of compassion.

What?

Because of an accident that left me with a broken elbow, arm and knee, we were unable to sail on her today. The staff on the Jewel has always been great especially friendly. I'm in no hurry on a cruise and in good mood.

We had dinner with Ivo Belev (Food and Beverage Director) on the Jewel's Panama Canal sailing. He told us that crewmembers are selected to go on the new builds, such as Breakaway, based on their performance. The top people from each ship across the fleet are sent to get these new ships up and running. The Jewel lost eleven percent of their crew to the Breakaway...the highest percentage of any ship at NCL. This speaks to the quality of the crew and management on this ship.

We have just returned (last month) off the Spirit and Lars was the Captain on this sailing. I take it he has now moved on to Alaska... he is a great Captain and very funny when he gets on the tannoy each day. I would love to get on the Epic in September or when we return on the Spirit in April and hear his voice.

Does anyone know if we could find out which ships certain Captains are sailing?

As for the Staff I agree we should be patient and remember we did all have to learn our jobs and get speed up in doing it too.

Captain confusion. There are 2 Captains named Lars. Lars Bergstrom of the Jewel and Lars Bengtsson of the Spirit and formerly of the Pearl. Lars of the Spirit is the guy with the incredible humour. He is currently on holiday.

Back in February when I was on the Spirit there were a lot of new crew back then. They were so enthusiatic and trying so hard, I couldn't help but feel for them. As I am from an education and training background I have great interest in these things. I am patient and in no great rush and support their learning.

What I don't have patience with is people who are demanding and nasty to them for making some small error which is inevitable while learning a job.

Captain Lars sounds familiar, was he on the Pearl or the Star 4 or 5 years ago?

Who is the Cruise Director?

Capt. Lars was on the Pearl twice when we were on her. He is the one that gives the super funny mid morning ship announcements. Everyone, including the crew, stop what they are doing so they hear him. He could be a stand up comic easily. And I just noticed the previous posts...yes...two Capt. Lars. And the funny guy did indeed leave he Pearl for the Spirit. Thanks for pointing that out.

I guess we each have our requirements for getting our money's worth. But for me, I pay to be surrounded by the nicest, friendliest, hardest working folks in the world, all of who try their best to get their jobs done. All of that just keeps me in a happy mood with a smile on my face the entire cruise. Whether they are capable of providing perfectly great service or not, as long they are giving it a good effort, I'm a happy guy with great respect for them and their efforts.

When I had dinner with Captain Lars on the Jewel he told me that he plans to retire in two years.

Hello PAIAGIRL, I had a fantastic time on the Jewel. I asked Captain Lars if I could have his dining table place card as a momento sp. I was too shy to sit next to him so I asked a friend to sit next to him.lol.

I eat very slow so the Captain stayed until I finished eating my dessert. I told

him how happy the new workers from ST. Lucia were on the Jewel.

I did notice a lot of great workers on the ship and those are the ones that will be transferred to the new ships. The Captain told me he was planning to transfer them to the new ships. He seemed very happy to be working on the Jewel. I think he plans to stay on that ship until he retires in two years.

I do remember one of the new officer who looked totally scared when he arrived in Los Angeles to work on the ship. I spent some time talking to him and making him feel comfortable.lol. I could see it in his face like he felt like a fish out of water.lol. He will get his experience.

I informed all of the workers at the entrance of the ship that the worker would be late to the ship.

We were supposed to leave at 4:30p.m. but we didn't leave until 6p.m. because they waited for him to return. That was nice.

Paiagirl, when is your next cruise so we can cruise together. LucyR. Ramirez

Archived