Bringing wine onboard

Quick question. I have read you can bring 2 bottles on board when you embark. Is this per adult or per cabin? Thanks. And if you don't use your allocation when you embark can you bring it on board half way through the ship if you buy on land at a stop? :o

2 bottles per cabin and I believe it is only on embarkation. You can buy it at a port and they will take it and give it back at the end of your cruise.

Do you just keep the wine with you as your check in at the pier? (as I read this it sounds like a dumb question)

thanks-

Jo Ann

Yes, that's what we do. We put the wine in one of our carry on bags.

• 2 months later...

2 bottles per stateroom as everyone has said. So if you have two rooms, that's 4 bottles.

We carried them on in our carry-on bag. I guess we could have put them in our suitcase but we didn't want them to x-ray the bags and think they were bottles of vodka, etc. and open up our suitcase or bring them to the naughty room.

Hi- We have 2 rooms. My hubby and me in 1 room and my 2 teenagers in the room next door.

Will they allow us to bring 4 bottles since minors are in the 2nd room?

Thank you

One adult would have to be in the cabin with the teenager to be allowed to bring on 2 bottles. The teens would not be allowed to carry on alcohol and if the cabin does not have an adult in the room then you could only bring 2 bottles if both adults are in one cabin.

That's what I thought. I should have made the reservations with an adult in each room. We're not big drinkers but a bottle of wine doesn't last long so 4 bottles would have been better for the week. We'll make due with 2.

Thank you for the info.

While the letter of the RCI law says 2 bottles per stateroom, I would be surprised if they didn't allow you 4 bottles if you have two rooms, despite both adults being in the same room. We didn't find the port security all that strict. After all, people are bringing on cases of water and soda and they don't seem to care. If I really wanted 4 bottles, I'd probably just make sure that 2 of them were bottles that cost less that I could afford to give up if they wouldn't let me have them.

While the letter of the RCI law says 2 bottles per stateroom, I would be surprised if they didn't allow you 4 bottles if you have two rooms, despite both adults being in the same room. We didn't find the port security all that strict. After all, people are bringing on cases of water and soda and they don't seem to care. If I really wanted 4 bottles, I'd probably just make sure that 2 of them were bottles that cost less that I could afford to give up if they wouldn't let me have them.

Wouldn't they just hold them until the last day of the cruise and return it to you like they do if you buy a bottle in port x

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So, after reading the policy, I do not see where it specifies the wine must be in your carryon.

In theory, you could carry on two, then have two more in a checked bag (or two in each checked bag)?

That aside - the corkage fee is ridiculous! At $25 per bottle, the wine package offered onboard becomes more attractive. I'm sure hat's the goal in the first place.

If your TA sends a bottle as a gift, does the corkage fee still apply if you take the wine to the dining room? (Never mind - the answer appears to be yes unless purchased through Gifts and Gear)

So, after reading the policy, I do not see where it specifies the wine must be in your carryon.

In theory, you could carry on two, then have two more in a checked bag (or two in each checked bag)?

That aside - the corkage fee is ridiculous! At $25 per bottle, the wine package offered onboard becomes more attractive. I'm sure hat's the goal in the first place.

If your TA sends a bottle as a gift, does the corkage fee still apply if you take the wine to the dining room? (Never mind - the answer appears to be yes unless purchased through Gifts and Gear)

When my Father call RC to pay the final balance he was instructed by the representative that the since booking our cruise the rules had changed from bringing no wine to being allowed 2 bottles of wine per stateroom packed in the carry on bag as otherwise it could result in a long wait on board when being called to 'the naughty room' as I have seen people call it x

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have yet to read of anyone being flagged for having brought too many bottles on board.

For example, people have posted that passenger one and passenger two went through security separately. Neither was asked, "Is your cabinmate carrying on any wine"?

Also, while Baltimore was VERY pushy and annoying when the policy was new, in Bayonne last week, no one even looked at my bottle to see what it was.

Wouldn't they just hold them until the last day of the cruise and return it to you like they do if you buy a bottle in port x

It's two different situations. On embarkation day, the folks checking the wine are port security personnel, and your wine is not on the ship yet. On a port day, except for Oasis and Allure, the security people are ship personnel and your wine is already on the ship. They could arrange to hold the bottles, but there's more involved to do that on embarkation day.

I had wine in my checked bag...and yes it did get flagged. I went to the naughty room which consisted me of me going down to deck two and opening my bag. They saw my wine and said..have a nice cruise. The only bad part is that my makeup was in that bag so I had to wait for that...:eek:

Archived