Inexperienced traveler here....

ntvsdgrl

I'm doing my first international travel this summer when I fly to Vancouver for my Alaskan cruise. I've downloaded an app on my phone for my boarding passes. Here is my question(s):

1. Have any of you used your smart phone for your boarding passes?

2. Do you still print out hard copies, just in case?

3. Have any of you that use your phone have any issues checking in?

Thanks.

I've seen pax use their phones for boarding passes only to be told to go back to the main check in desk because the info could not be read - not worth standing in line for security and then be turned away. Might work, but long lines, security, connection time limits make me rely on a printed document.

Darcy

I've seen pax use their phones for boarding passes only to be told to go back to the main check in desk because the info could not be read - not worth standing in line for security and then be turned away. Might work, but long lines, security, connection time limits make me rely on a printed document.

Darcy

That's ridiculous. The gate agents can print up a paper boarding pass, no need to go all the way back to the main check-in to get one. Talk about holding up a plane!

OP--I'll use my phone for domestic travel, but not for International travel.

I'm doing my first international travel this summer when I fly to Vancouver for my Alaskan cruise. I've downloaded an app on my phone for my boarding passes. Here is my question(s):

Thanks.

I use my android for boarding passes but carry a hard copy as a backup, just in case. I have not had any issues.

That's ridiculous. The gate agents can print up a paper boarding pass, no need to go all the way back to the main check-in to get one. Talk about holding up a plane!

OP--I'll use my phone for domestic travel, but not for International travel.

The gate agents might be able to print up a boarding pass - but sometimes they are less than accommodating. Same with the TSA agents who also want to see your boarding pass. Just because new technology exists is not sufficient reason to take any risks on it (and your own equipment) functioning. If you are happy with going hard copy on international travel, why not on domestic?

Have used my smartphone to check in for flights before, and actually have generated electronic boarding passes before too. Generally found that the process can be a bit buggy.

Have not used an electronic boarding pass to try and access the plane though - usually go to the electronic check-in machines before security and "reprint" a hard copy.

I wish I had my phone as back up!

On a recent flight, I printed the boarding pass at home and stuck it in my purse. It got wrinkled and everyone had a hard time reading the skew. They just kept waving the wand over it, over and over again.

No one offered to print off another one for me.

Thanks.

1: yup, when flying out of Tokyo. worked well since I had no access to a printer.

2: if the option is there, I do. always good to have a hard copy just in case the phone dies.

3: yeah, the poor security guy couldn't read the minuscule typeface so I had to 'enlarge' enough for him to be able to read my ticket number. probably didn't help that it was in American and he is used to hiragana....

unsolicited advice:

I also DL the app for the airline and sign up for text alerts.. helpful for gate changes or if the flight is delayed.

The gate agents might be able to print up a boarding pass - but sometimes they are less than accommodating. Same with the TSA agents who also want to see your boarding pass. Just because new technology exists is not sufficient reason to take any risks on it (and your own equipment) functioning. If you are happy with going hard copy on international travel, why not on domestic?

Because with International I remove any possible problems. I have not had a problem using my cell phone with the TSA or at the gate--and I flew over 100K miles last year through several dozen airports. There was only one that wasn't set up for the cell phone at the TSA checkpoint, and it took me three minutes to print a paper BP from a nearby kiosk.

I have top-tier FF status, believe me, the gate agents are accommodating for pretty much anything.

Archived