I worry....

Vanilla

I sail June 16 and we are 22 days away - my ship still has a bunch of rooms. I counted: 20 suites / 17 mini suites / 87 balcony / 20 oceanview / 13 inside cabins still available. Most of them are grouped in the same area. 1) Is that too many rooms to leave open - will the cruise still sail? 2) What do those cabin stewards do for income that week if their rooms haven't sold?

I sail June 16 and we are 22 days away - my ship still has a bunch of rooms. I counted: 20 suites / 17 mini suites / 87 balcony / 20 oceanview / 13 inside cabins still available. Most of them are grouped in the same area. 1) Is that too many rooms to leave open - will the cruise still sail? 2) What do those cabin stewards do for income that week if their rooms haven't sold?

The ship will sail. The company would lose a lot of money if they stayed tied up paying port fees for the duration of the cruise and had to refund fares for the cabins that have been sold (the majority of the ship). If there are that many cabins still unsold, I am surprised there hasn't been a great offer of reduced fares.

Cabin stewards income? They will still receive their contracted wage, but if they have some empty cabins, obviously they won't receive tips from them.

Doubt it is really as empty as you noticed. But, if it is you will have a wonderful voyage with no crowds. We were once on the Grand with only 1500 passengers. It was great for us, not so great for Princess.

We were on a relatively empty cruise last year where they cleared one deck of passengers, moved in crew members, and used the cruise to refurb the crew's quarters.

I would imagine that there is always worked that can be accomplished if they manipulate the passengers so that the cabins that need work are empty. For instance, I have noticed that some balcony cabins we have occupied have had new shower stall bases installed. That must have been accomplished during a cruise when the cabin was empty. I don't think they could have pulled that off during a turn.

On my recent Diamond Princess cruise, there were a number of empty cabins. They used that time to re-carpet and deep clean the empty cabins. I saw rolls of carpeting and bed frames in the hallway near my cabin.

Unless they cancel your booked cruise!! See signature.

Are you sure that isn't one of the cruises being switched to another itinerary (I think the Sapphire is being deployed soon to Asian itineraries)?

Usually the only other reason I can think of is that the ship has been chartered.

As to the OP's cruise, there probably is a good reason there are empty cabins -- maybe intentionally. But if not, there will be a sale to sell off the reminding cabins. The Alaskan cruises starting in mid-June should be in much demand because many families will love to do this kind of cruise, and many school districts will be out by that time or by the week after for summer break.

Heck, if they didn't cancel the cruises out of New York right before and right after Superstorm Sandy, they aren't going to cancel for an empty block of cabins. There were so few passengers on our b2b in October that the dining room was half empty for both segments.

Are you sure that isn't one of the cruises being switched to another itinerary (I think the Sapphire is being deployed soon to Asian itineraries)?

The one that was canceled is because the Sapphire is being redeployed. We booked it for a 15 day Hawaiian cruise out of Los Angeles. We just rebooked on the Star. The Sapphire dates were perfect for us, and we wanted to sail on one of the Japenese built ships. Especially since the Sapphire is really the Diamond, and vice versa.

Can I ask how you gathered the information about number and types still available?

Hi There

Plenty of time for a flash sale, ship will fill up

yours Shogun

How will I know about the flash sales, to let my sister-in-law know? That is, are they announced, or can I find them on some website?

The one that was canceled is because the Sapphire is being redeployed. We booked it for a 15 day Hawaiian cruise out of Los Angeles. We just rebooked on the Star. The Sapphire dates were perfect for us, and we wanted to sail on one of the Japenese built ships. Especially since the Sapphire is really the Diamond, and vice versa.

That is true. I guess you know that the ship that is the Sapphire was originally called the Diamond, but after one caught on fire while being built, the names were switched. My hubby was following that situation closely as we had already booked the Sapphire for a cruise in its third month of sailing.

How will I know about the flash sales, to let my sister-in-law know? That is, are they announced, or can I find them on some website?

I think there's a way of getting on their flash sales mailing list. Check My Princess to see about that or call the 800 number and ask to be placed on their list.

Im booked on a cruise in October have it "watchlisted" on another website. A couple of the lowest types in some of thr categories keep selling out and then coming back as being available. I think they are selling G'tees in the low fares to fill the ship up and will then "upgrade" them before sailing.

Archived