Tux out of place in Blu?

signora

We'll be on the Summit in February. DH doesn't have a dark suit but he does have a tux (and he looks smashing in it-IMHO!). This is our first time in Blu and I'm wondering if he should bring his very nice sport jacket (nice enough for interviews) with charcoal grey slacks instead of or in addition to the tux. Could we/should we opt for the MDR on formal nights, although it seems like switching dining rooms isn't totally kosher, so the tux won't be out of place?

We will also be dining in Blu on the Summit in January & was under the impression that formal wear is not required in Blu. My DH & I, as well as our traveling companions, are not planning to pack suits, dresses, extra shoes, etc. so we can avoid the checked baggage fees on the airline. Will we be out of place in Blu if we dress smart casual on formal night?

We recently completed the Fjords cruise on Eclipse,on the two formal nights ,one in Tuscan Grill and the other in Blu,my wife and I dressed in smart casual.

We certainly did not feel out of place, as 40% of the people were in smart casual.

We will also be dining in Blu on the Summit in January & was under the impression that formal wear is not required in Blu. My DH & I, as well as our traveling companions, are not planning to pack suits, dresses, extra shoes, etc. so we can avoid the checked baggage fees on the airline. Will we be out of place in Blu if we dress smart casual on formal night?

Absolutely not, the dress code is smart casual and above, so your mode of dress as well as the OPS are perfectly acceptable.

BLU, as well as the specialty restaurants, gives you the option of formal or not, (or smart casual or not, from the other point of view). You would not be out of place with a tuxedo, nor would you be out of place with a nice pair of slacks and a collared shirt. Your choice.

Thanks everyone for all your responses. We'll consider both options and decide if we want to dress up or not. While the tux does mean the extra garment bag, it might be something DH wants to do (and as the recipient of his glory I might like it too--is this like courtship among birds, with the male in fancy plumage?). My options are easier: a dress, gown or cocktail? Alas, I probably don't need to buy anything!

We have eaten in blu on the equinox (12 days), eclipse (21 days) and Millenium (28 days) and I have worn either smart casual, or smart casual with a blazer. Never felt out of place

We have eaten in Blu for most of our cruises the last few years and you will be fine in formal or smart casual, we saw many both ways on formal night....you won't be out of place either way....Blu is a wonderful venue am sure you will like it!!!:)

You will be fine.

Just returned from the Summit to Bermuda on May 19. I have never been on a Celebrity cruise with so few tuxes. I was actively looking for them in the dining room, Select Dining and saw just a handful. Saw very few wandering around before or after dinner either, including on the people posing for formal portraits. Many men in the dining room on formal nights were in shirt sleeves, no ties. I questioned my waiter about it, asking why men dressed in just shirtsleeves were not turned away. He just shrugged.

I think we will soon see Celebrity's dress code change to smart casual all the time and everywhere.

I will be dining at Blu during my upcoming (first!) Celebrity cruise to Alaska on Millie. My husband and I will not be dressing for formal nights, but we will surely enjoy seeing others doing so. A bigger question for yourself might be whether you will be upset that others choose not to dress. I keep reading that not many people truly do formal night anymore, but perhaps you would feel happier in MDR along with more folks who choose to dress. Though again, I'll be happy to see people in their finest in Blu! So long as they don't express discouragement that I didn't join them. :o

I wore my Tux on Silhouette last week in Blu. Was not, and did not feel out of place. Wear it you will look great!!

My husband has worn his tux in Blu on the Summit, Solstice, and Equinox and every time he looked great, too! I don't care if other men wear a suit and tie; my DH wears a tux because honestly, a cruise is one of the few places he has the opportunity to do so he takes advantage. It pleases me and that's all that matters. ;)

The way I see it, if I'm packing a jacket, I'm packing the tux. It only takes up a bit more space than the suit (adding the full backed vest that I like), and I like the way it fits.

Of course that said, if I was dining in Blu again I wouldn't bring any formal clothes; I liked the smart casual dress code.

Archived