On Grandeur now..

Royal Caribbean has done very well by its passengers. This cruisefare completely refunded and a Future Cruise Certificate for the same amount to be used when the passengers are ready to cruise again. (with an expiration date, of course)

That, to me is fair compensation.

Does anyone know what happens to the crew at this point?

Depends if (probably how long) the ship is out of service.

If the ship is out for an extended time, the crew/staff will be reassigned to other ships or allowed to leave early if their contract is terminating very soon. If the ship will be out for just a few weeks they will likely stay with the ship and help with the repairs or other projects.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if crew cabins sustained damage

Here is what RCI is saying about future cruises on the Grandeur OTS. 5/31 is now canceled :/ hopefully its the only one

Guests booked on #GrandueroftheSeas on 5/31 will receive a full refund of the cruise fare as well as a 50% future cruise certificate

Decision on other sailings by the end of the week

We will provide an update regarding future sailings on #GrandeuroftheSeas by the end of the this week

Here is what RCI is saying about future cruises on the Grandeur OTS. 5/31 is now canceled :/ hopefully its the only one

Guests booked on #GrandueroftheSeas on 5/31 will receive a full refund of the cruise fare as well as a 50% future cruise certificate

Decision on other sailings by the end of the week

We will provide an update regarding future sailings on #GrandeuroftheSeas by the end of the this week

No real surprise there. So sorry for those who have been looking forward to that cruise. :(

Fingers are crossed your sailing will occur.

Just got this email from Royal Caribbean. We were on the May 31 cruise.

May 27, 2013

Dear Grandeur of the Seas Guest,

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding your Friday, May 31, 2013, sailing on Grandeur of the Seas.

You may be aware that on Monday, May 27, Grandeur of the Seas experienced a fire in the mooring area in the aft of the ship. Unfortunately, due to the time needed to repair the damage caused by the fire, it is necessary to cancel Grandeur of the Seas’ next voyage, which was scheduled to depart Baltimore, Maryland, on Friday, May 31. We are deeply sorry for this unexpected development in your upcoming vacation.

Royal Caribbean International will provide you with a full refund of your voyage. Cruise fare refunds will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment. Please allow two to three weeks for all transactions to be processed.

Royal Caribbean International would also like to provide you with the opportunity to sail with us again. We will provide you with a future cruise certificate for 50% of the cruise fare you paid for your May 31, 2013, Grandeur of the Seas sailing. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on Royal Caribbean International. Your future cruise certificate will be mailed within six to eight weeks.

Also, if you booked air transportation through Royal Caribbean International will receive a full refund. If you did not purchase air transportation through Royal Caribbean International, we will assist you by paying for any airline change fee. We ask that you please send a copy of the receipt for the change fee along with a brief note explaining that you were booked on the May 31, sailing of Grandeur of the Seas to the following address: Royal Caribbean International, Corporate Guest Relations – GR May 31, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132-2096.

Again, we sincerely apologize for this unexpected development and its impact on your vacation.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

skipop: I was on the Crown Princess, July 2006, when she listed waaaay over, causing enormous damage to the ship's furnishings and facilities. We ended up being flown home from Orlando.

As I am guessing you know, Princess is very proud of its MUTS: Movies Under The Stars, the big screens up on the pool deck.

The scheduled film the night of the list?

Titanic.

:rolleyes:

I remember your posts at the time so well.

We were scheduled on the sailing after yours. I was at the Dr's office with an ear infection waiting to get some antibiotics so I could still sail. The TV in the waiting room had CNN reporting about the list. I couldn't believe my eyes. I raced home after the Dr visit, told my family and logged onto Cruisecritic. My travel agent hadn't heard about it when I called so this site was my go- to for updated info.

My heart broke for you when you shared your story.

It was a tense few days not knowing if we would still have a vacation.

In the end, our 9 day was abbreviated to 7 days. We were given the option to cancel without penalty or receive a 50 percent discount off the cruise. We chose the latter and had a great time.

I can imagine the scramble going on in Miami as they get updates from Freeport. Ordering equipment, parts, materials, new furnishings, etc. I doubt Freeport has those things "in stock"

Any delays in repairs will probably be associated with securing all of the materials and part necessary to restore the ship to it former "Grandeur"

to those that posted multiple information sources today, thank you!

Per Royal Caribbean Facebook:

The May 31st sailing of Granduer of the Seas has been cancelled. All booked guests will receive a full refund of the cruise fare as well as a 50% future cruise certificate. We will provide an update regarding future sailings on Grandeur of the Seas by the end of this week.

In the press release regarding returning passengers to Baltimore and compensation I saw no mention of anything to do with airfare change fees and other unusual expenses related to the early return. Does anyone know if the passengers will be reimbursed for such charges, or not?

just the next one for now. later this week we will know.

Yeah, you're not going. :o

Philadelphia is lovely this time of year: The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the National Constitution Center, Valley Forge Park, all of our wonderful restaurants.

Come on up!

:D

From Twitter:

@RoyalCaribbean has decided to cancel the 5/31 sailing of #GrandeuroftheSeas. Guests booked on #GrandeuroftheSeas on 5/31 will receive a full refund of the cruise fare as well as a 50% future cruise certificate. We will provide an update regarding future sailings on #GrandeuroftheSeas by the end of the this week

There is now a separate thread on this topic. Please find it and comment there. :)

Thanks! Being an o'malley serf, I wanna know what is going on with my precious ship. And the passengers of this last voyage of course

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived