Norwegian Breakaway Highlights - Photo intensive

xenagurl

Very nice pictures.:)

Thank you Gambee's mom! It was really nice meeting you and your son!

Is it possible to go to the bar in Blu without eating there? If yes' date=' I see no reason why they can't sell Champagne by the glass for "bar guests". If they open a bottle for restaurant guests, I assume that it's possible to buy it at the bar to.[/quote']

I don't remember there being any actual bar for Ocean Blu just the restaurant seating. O-Blu is a pretty small restaurant situated next to the Raw Bar and Wasabi. So if you went up to the Raw Bar (the closest one) you might be able to order it from there. Alternately if you asked the restaurant Hostess at O-Blu if you could order glasses of champagne from their menu, they might be able to do that for you. :)

I don't remember there being any actual bar for Ocean Blu just the restaurant seating. O-Blu is a pretty small restaurant situated next to the Raw Bar and Wasabi. So if you went up to the Raw Bar (the closest one) you might be able to order it from there. Alternately if you asked the restaurant Hostess at O-Blu if you could order glasses of champagne from their menu, they might be able to do that for you. :)

I will talk to the Beverage Manager about that, I'm sure he/she will help us.

I know that in doing your blogs on a variety of Norwegian ships, staff may blur a bit. Now The Breakaway, besides the Captain, Denis and Sean, did any staff member stand out?? I am looking forward to being on the Maiden Voyage of The Getaway in January.

thank you for taking the time to post.

Thank you!!! Enjoy reading your blog and seeing all the photos!

(Second guessing myself to get onto the free fall slide though...)

Thank you for checking it out! :) Personally I think I might have a sip of "liquid courage" before I go on that slide again...not that I'm encouraging that. lol

I know that in doing your blogs on a variety of Norwegian ships, staff may blur a bit. Now The Breakaway, besides the Captain, Denis and Sean, did any staff member stand out?? I am looking forward to being on the Maiden Voyage of The Getaway in January.

thank you for taking the time to post.

Thanks for checking the blog out. :) ---- Yes definitely! I'm going to post about some of the amazing people we met, but I have to mention 1 person now. Marites Souza the Executive Housekeeper is a sweet and fun person.

She is a spirited and happy person in general, but I'll tell you a story. We were at the cocktail reception having a nice conversation with Marites, and me with my gesturing spills red wine all over the front of a cream dress. :eek:

I pretty much chalked it up as a goner. It a minute Marites says "We have to get this out now! I'll take care of it." She walks us to our stateroom and I go in take the dress off, hand it to Dh who gives it to "Tes" and she tells the room steward (Sanchin) to take it to be cleaned right away as it's urgent due to the type of stain. She tells us that it's on her (so kind). I cheanged dresses and Dh and I go to dinner.

By the time we came back it was hanging on a hanging on the hook in the hallway. Looking just as good as when I bought it if not better! My mouth was open. I really didn't think that they'd be able to really get it out, but it was perfect. "Mama" Tes saved the dress and the day!

But it doesn't stop there...here is where her sense of humor comes in. :D We were at the Latitudes reception and she and I were dancing to the music a bit. I said to her "Marites look I'm drinking sparkling wine tonight so that you don't have to rescue me again." She smiled a mischievous smile. When I went to get a different drink. She looked at me and said "Oh no, you're having RED wine." She took the other drink and asked the server to bring over not one, but two glasses of red wine, and said that I can spill anything I liked that she'd take care of it. We all laughed, and I was careful despite her generous offer, because I didn't want to be known as a complete klutz! lol

There are others too like Jose Contreras the Beverage Manager, Sanchin our room steward, Clark a room steward that I met on the Jade in Nov 11 and Feb 12 and didn't know that he was there Nov 12, because I booked a different room. We had a nice reunion the minute we saw each other we said each other's name and hugged. He's a sweetie! Leonara the lovely MDR hostess who I met on the Epic last year, Michelle a server in the specialty restaurants and MDR that we met on the Jewel in December, Meaghan the solo activities coordinator on the Epic last year that worked really hard to get everyone to have fun. And my darling Deepa another wonderful hostess that I hadn't seen since the Jade in Feb 12 we had a really nice reunion too. (She got married a few months ago! Thankfully they both work on the ship.) Veronica the Group Activities Coordinator who helped make our Meet and Greet a success. I know that I'm missing a few people that made the trip special and I will compile a list soon, but I had to mention these now.

Honestly I can't wait to get back on the Epic not just for the ship and ports but to see so many people that I really like all in one place!

Edited by xenagurl

Aren't I a lucky girl to have found both your's and Gambee's Breakaway reviews :) I've been peeking in (I usually frequent the CCL boards) looking for info and reviews for the Breakaway, and low and behold... the two best reviews I've ever read. Awesome awesome awesome :)

We're in the middle of planning a cruise for next July - we're partial to sailing out of NY, but we've exhausted the itinerary for the time of year we can sail. Although the price is higher than we're used to, and having only the one port, but it seems the ship is worth it.

I can't wait to read the rest.

Vicki

Aren't I a lucky girl to have found both your's and Gambee's Breakaway reviews :) I've been peeking in (I usually frequent the CCL boards) looking for info and reviews for the Breakaway, and low and behold... the two best reviews I've ever read. Awesome awesome awesome :)

We're in the middle of planning a cruise for next July - we're partial to sailing out of NY, but we've exhausted the itinerary for the time of year we can sail. Although the price is higher than we're used to, and having only the one port, but it seems the ship is worth it.

I can't wait to read the rest.

Vicki

Thank you for those kind words! There will be some more up tonight. If you have any specific questions or would like to see photos of something in particular let me know. If I can answer it or took a photo of it, I'd be happy to help.

xenagural,

I hope that you are planning to go on The Epic soon. My guess is that the powers that be (Denis, Klaus etc.) already know who has been selected for The Getaway. By the middle of September, they will start pulling people. I was told that 9% of staff from every ship was pulled for The Breakaway, which should mean about the same for The Getaway.

xenagural,

I hope that you are planning to go on The Epic soon. My guess is that the powers that be (Denis, Klaus etc.) already know who has been selected for The Getaway. By the middle of September, they will start pulling people. I was told that 9% of staff from every ship was pulled for The Breakaway, which should mean about the same for The Getaway.

Ooops I just noticed that last sentence in the previous post. I meant to say Breakaway lol.

Unfortunately I don't know if I'll be back on her before the end of the year, but I'll certainly get on the Getaway some time next year and will be on the Epic this year. The nicest thing is, I keep running into familiar faces on each ship! That's another perk of sailing the same line. Getting to know people that work so hard in order to make the vacations of others top notch.

Ooops I just noticed that last sentence in the previous post. I meant to say Breakaway lol.

Unfortunately I don't know if I'll be back on her before the end of the year, but I'll certainly get on the Getaway some time next year and will be on the Epic this year. The nicest thing is, I keep running into familiar faces on each ship! That's another perk of sailing the same line. Getting to know people that work so hard in order to make the vacations of others top notch.

I am going to be aboard The Getaway for Her Maiden Voyage on the 17th on of January from Southampton to Miami. Nine straight sea days. Probably will not be warm enough the first few days to try out all the play toys.

Might be a silly question, but ...are there dresser drawers in the cabins??? I was reading a posting in the review section of Cruise Critic, and the person said there was only a closet and hangers and no drawers. Seemed kinda crazy but I figured I better verify - I can't imagine hanging up ALL of my clothes or living out of a suitcase.

Edited by VickiD59

I am going to be aboard The Getaway for Her Maiden Voyage on the 17th on of January from Southampton to Miami. Nine straight sea days. Probably will not be warm enough the first few days to try out all the play toys.

I'm sure you'll have a great time! Please let me know your thoughts on her. As it gets closer to Miami hopefully it'll be warm enough for the ropes course and water slide.

I thought about taking this TA, but hubby wants to get on the Breakaway or Gem in January, so we'll have to see her sister later in the year.

Might be a silly question, but ...are there dresser drawers in the cabins??? I was reading a posting in the review section of Cruise Critic, and the person said there was only a closet and hangers and to drawers. Seemed kinda crazy but I figured I better verify - I can't imagine hanging up ALL of my clothes or living out of a suitcase.

Not silly at all. We had an Oceanview stateroom and while it didn't have any drawers there were about 6 cubbyholes to the left of the closet that I put my clothes on. One of these is partially occupied by the safe though.

There is also cabinet space under the TV as well as above it that the Mr. used for his shirts and pants. For two people it's suits. I did wind up using some ample space right under the front of the bed for store a few pairs of shoes, freeing up one of the shelves/cubbyholes in the closet area. If I can find photos of that space I will post it.

Edited by xenagurl

Are there little bottles of liquor in the mini frig? If so, how much were they and what were they? Thanks!

Yes there was rum, vodka and a few others - perhaps Gin? They were between $7.00 and $8.00 per bottle. The $8.00 bottles were the Grey Goose Vodkas.

Thanks for your quick response. At those prices I better make sure the steward takes them out of my boy's room. LOL.

In the Breakaway brochure it states that Atrium Cafe is a complimentary place to get coffee and sweets at no additional cost. After reading some posts on cc it seems they now are charging for that. Can you verify if they are charging or if you can still get regular coffee free and maybe some snacks that are not from Carlos bakery.

Thanks for your quick response. At those prices I better make sure the steward takes them out of my boy's room. LOL.

In the Breakaway brochure it states that Atrium Cafe is a complimentary place to get coffee and sweets at no additional cost. After reading some posts on cc it seems they now are charging for that. Can you verify if they are charging or if you can still get regular coffee free and maybe some snacks that are not from Carlos bakery.

That might be a good idea! lol

I just asked my husband and it wasn't clear to either of us if you could just get regular coffee there. The only snacks I had there were cupcakes that I bought from Carlo's. I don't remember seeing any complimentary items but to be fair I was looking for the cupcakes.

That might be a good idea! lol

I just asked my husband and it wasn't clear to either of us if you could just get regular coffee there. The only snacks I had there were cupcakes that I bought from Carlo's. I don't remember seeing any complimentary items but to be fair I was looking for the cupcakes.

lol cupcakes comment

Marites Souza the Executive Housekeeper is a sweet and fun person.

She is a spirited and happy person in general, but I'll tell you a story. We were at the cocktail reception having a nice conversation with Marites, and me with my gesturing spills red wine all over the front of a cream dress. :eek:

I pretty much chalked it up as a goner. It a minute Marites says "We have to get this out now! I'll take care of it." She walks us to our stateroom and I go in take the dress off, hand it to Dh who gives it to "Tes" and she tells the room steward (Sanchin) to take it to be cleaned right away as it's urgent due to the type of stain. She tells us that it's on her (so kind). I cheanged dresses and Dh and I go to dinner.

By the time we came back it was hanging on a hanging on the hook in the hallway. Looking just as good as when I bought it if not better! My mouth was open.

Can I just say, WOW!!!!! That is awesome. Nice job Marites:D

(I am beyond impressed, actually)

Can I just say, WOW!!!!! That is awesome. Nice job Marites:D

(I am beyond impressed, actually)

It really truly was awesome and impressive. I sent her a card to thank her, and will be sending one to corporate this week telling them how much I appreciated what she did and the kindness of many others while we were on board. It was really a great trip!