Pool Reservations - Gold

This thread has me worried.:( This will be our first cruise on RCI; we'll be in a GS on Grandeur. I was looking forward to enjoying the suite perks that I have paid for. But after reading some of the responses here, I'm afraid I'll be glared at and labeled a 'blowhard' or an 'elitist' or some other hateful term simply for being in a "Gold Card Only" area.

And since I can't enjoy the sun that much, being fair-skinned, I'll want to spend most of my time in the shade. To think that I'll be further judged and thought a 'chair hog' for sitting in the shade of the pool area or the Solarium instead of staying in the cordoned-off Gold Card area, seems unfair to say the least.

I am not a snob, I don't go around judging people around me based on their accommodations or the price they paid for their vacation. I don't look forward to being the target of this reverse snobbery and venom. I guess the best I can hope for is that if people are thinking badly of me just because I have a Gold Card on this cruise, I will be happily oblivious to their hate.

Has the kind of hate expressed on this thread been experienced in person by suite guests while on their cruises? Have people made nasty, judgmental remarks upon seeing your Gold Card, or seeing you enter a Gold Card area? Or is this just a specimen of 'hiding behind the keyboard'? Should I be concerned?:confused::(:o

If you noticed - I did not point out all areas of special treatment for suite guests. I have posted many times in the past my thoughts on Royal's cheapness when it comes to rewarding suites. It costs them NOTHING, Zero, Zilch to put up the golden ropes and take away space that was previously used for all guests. The Diamond lounge, which I have yet to make use of because not all ships have them - do not take seats away from other guests.

Yes they do.......non diamond guests are not allowed to even enter the diamond lounges.

This thread has me worried.:( This will be our first cruise on RCI; we'll be in a GS on Grandeur. I was looking forward to enjoying the suite perks that I have paid for. But after reading some of the responses here, I'm afraid I'll be glared at and labeled a 'blowhard' or an 'elitist' or some other hateful term simply for being in a "Gold Card Only" area.

And since I can't enjoy the sun that much, being fair-skinned, I'll want to spend most of my time in the shade. To think that I'll be further judged and thought a 'chair hog' for sitting in the shade of the pool area or the Solarium instead of staying in the cordoned-off Gold Card area, seems unfair to say the least.

I am not a snob, I don't go around judging people around me based on their accommodations or the price they paid for their vacation. I don't look forward to being the target of this reverse snobbery and venom. I guess the best I can hope for is that if people are thinking badly of me just because I have a Gold Card on this cruise, I will be happily oblivious to their hate.

Has the kind of hate expressed on this thread been experienced in person by suite guests while on their cruises? Have people made nasty, judgmental remarks upon seeing your Gold Card, or seeing you enter a Gold Card area? Or is this just a specimen of 'hiding behind the keyboard'? Should I be concerned?:confused::(:o

Please don't be concerned. You will have a wonderful cruise. I've never had any nasty remarks or looks when enjoying the Gold Card benefits. If you're in the Solarium or shady part of the pool deck, no one will know the difference. Most people don't really care;) Remember you can order full MDR room service for breakfast, lunch and dinner during the MDR hours. That's my favorite perk:) Have a fabulous cruise!!

No, Not at all. This thread is just a little over the top and I can see why you may feel how you do based on the thread. No one will label you or snub you or make nasty remarks. At least that was my experience. You have paid for your perks, Feel free to use them or not it's your choice. Enjoy your cruise. Just dont walk around with your gold card stuck on your forehead, :) That may cause a riot :D

Please don't be concerned. You will have a wonderful cruise. I've never had any nasty remarks or looks when enjoying the Gold Card benefits. If you're in the Solarium or shady part of the pool deck, no one will know the difference. Most people don't really care;) Remember you can order full MDR room service for breakfast, lunch and dinner during the MDR hours. That's my favorite perk:) Have a fabulous cruise!!

Thanks!:) I guess I just don't 'get' the ugly envy thing, and so I don't know how far people who think that way would take it in person.

I am looking forward to the full room service menu, breakfast in Chops, and the reserved seating for shows, too. I have spent many-a comedy show on Carnival standing, even though we got to the Comedy Club 1/2 hour before the show's starting time.:eek: This is not fun in a 'Formal Night' gown and 'Formal Night' heels!:(

No, Not at all. This thread is just a little over the top and I can see why you may feel how you do based on the thread. No one will label you or snub you or make nasty remarks. At least that was my experience. You have paid for your perks, Feel free to use them or not it's your choice. Enjoy your cruise. Just dont walk around with your gold card stuck on your forehead, :) That may cause a riot :D

Thanks for helping to put my mind at ease.:)

Oh, darn, so you mean I shouldn't wear my Gold Card-Displaying Tiara that I had designed for this cruise? Well, thanks a lot for telling me now, after I've already ordered it and packed it in my carry-on!:mad::p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGrWcCnJpKj-46OEzj0w_P7cq1o5VT2dSqC6pWUNEoFNM0H7f7

Class warfare on CC!

We cruise in suites! There I said it! Hate me! Call out the protesters! Picket the suite pool seating area!!!

Or maybe, aspire to save enough for a suite the next time, or work hard, get promoted, earn the $$$ to get a suite.

But, stop with the class warfare! It belittles all on CC.

Many folks can easily afford a suite, but choose an inside cabin......it matters not! Because the cruise line offers a small perk to get the extra $$$..that is between the customer and the cruiseline......

Does Granduer even have a gold card only pool area?

I haven't cruised on RCCL for the past three years so I haven't read this board very much since then. Now that I am considering another cruise with them and am once again reading these boards, I am amazed that this same argument is still happening. Just a couple thoughts....

1. We cruise in suites because we want the room and yes, the perks that it give us.

2. ANYONE can choose to cruise in a suite if they think the extra amount of money that it cost is worth it. Let me repeat, ANYONE can cruise in a suite.

3. RCCL clearly shows what perks and space are given to suites. If you're not okay with that then find another cruise line where you'll be more happy.

4. As much as some would like to think, this has nothing to do with "status" and everything to do with what you think is important and the willingness of you paying for it. We are not rich by any stretch of the imagination. We choose to cruise fewer times in suites. We think it's worth it. You may not.

Oh it's class warfare all right. On the few times that we do use a suite, I look down on the peons. All the other times, I gaze with amazement and adoration at the mighty people who are privileged to cruise in suites. I think that those who are lucky enough to cruise in a suite should go to the guest services desk and tell them that you lost yours. That way, you can have two gold cards and be twice as special.

Off of soap box, tongue removed from cheek.

At one time it was only Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships.

Oh. Well, maybe I was misremembering and Grandeur doesn't have one. In that case, I guess I won't have to worry about being glared at while lounging there. Problem solved. :):p

Class warfare on CC!

We cruise in suites! There I said it! Hate me! Call out the protesters! Picket the suite pool seating area!!!

Or maybe, aspire to save enough for a suite the next time, or work hard, get promoted, earn the $$$ to get a suite.

But, stop with the class warfare! It belittles all on CC.

Many folks can easily afford a suite, but choose an inside cabin......it matters not! Because the cruise line offers a small perk to get the extra $$$..that is between the customer and the cruiseline......

Belittle CC? I don't think my aged back can possibly stoop that low! ;)

I think some of the suite benefits are wonderful for the folks who want to spend the extra - special room service menus for one. I have frequently posted they could do more - a limited number of specialty drinks (alcohol or non) dinner at one or more of the specialty restaurants, a spa treatment etc. It is the dividing off public areas that were originally open to all guests that gets my ire. It is not the suite guests who irritate me, but Royal's cheapness in awarding benefits to people who pay a pretty penny to cruise in the full suites.

don't flame me! we are so very, very fortunate to be able to cruise in suites. We do get a gold colored sail card and believe me, we book the suite for the comfort, not the bit of a perk. Yes, the gold card holders do have a reserved space on all the ships for the pool area, it is above the pool area in the sun and from our observations is almost always completely empty. We much prefer the solarium on most of the ships.

Why book the suite? The room is so very comfortable, the bed is wonderful and we can get a very restful sleep and the balcony is so nice and large. There will not be an apology from us in our mature ages wanting to cruise in comfort after we have sailed in the smallest interior cabin you can imagine when we began to sail.

Just wanted to reply to this thread and from a suite cruiser, the restricted pool area should just be changed to something that all persons on the cruise could enjoy.

happy cruising everyone

I absolutely love your balanced perspective. Thank you.

I can guarantee you that there are more obnoxious people with little money than with a lot of money

Really, get over yourself

I was going to write a lengthy reply, but it's simply not worth it.

Being obnoxious is not related to how much money you have.

Since there are way more people with little money, there are more obnoxious people with little money.

That's all I'm gonna say on this.

Not to worry. I sailed in a suite for the first time earlier this year, and we had a very nice time. I didn't use the reserved pool-chair area, either, as I also try to limit my sun exposure, especially after having a skin cancer removed a couple years ago. That reserved area is not even in a particularly desirable location, in my opinion, so I don't know why people are bothered by the idea. Similar with reserved theater seating. It's not really particularly prime seating, and there were always available non-reserved seats nearby.

We mostly enjoyed not having to feel cramped in our cabin. As far as perks, the best for us were getting bridge and galley tours arranged by the concierge, happy hour in the concierge lounge and use of Portofino seating for breakfast/lunch.

It is the dividing off public areas that were originally open to all guests that gets my ire. It is not the suite guests who irritate me, but Royal's cheapness in awarding benefits to people who pay a pretty penny to cruise in the full suites.

Again-they do this for suite guests and loyalty guests. Overflow lounges, special MDR sections, Diamond events held in a public space.

Between the suite guests and growing number of C&A members, if things keep up, you will find large area's of the ship closed to the general public.

Not to worry. I sailed in a suite for the first time earlier this year, and we had a very nice time. I didn't use the reserved pool-chair area, either, as I also try to limit my sun exposure, especially after having a skin cancer removed a couple years ago. That reserved area is not even in a particularly desirable location, in my opinion, so I don't know why people are bothered by the idea. Similar with reserved theater seating. It's not really particularly prime seating, and there were always available non-reserved seats nearby.

We mostly enjoyed not having to feel cramped in our cabin. As far as perks, the best for us were getting bridge and galley tours arranged by the concierge, happy hour in the concierge lounge and use of Portofino seating for breakfast/lunch.

Thank you for helping to set my mind at ease. And thanks for reminding me about the ship's tours, I had forgotten about them - I am definitely looking forward to doing all of those that are offered!:)

Hey, I believe we may have met at the private "Steerage Ball".....down by the Engine Room!

Join our Society! :D All are welcome! Just save my pic below in my signature and put it into yours and you are automatically a Steerage Society Member! :p

It is the dividing off public areas that were originally open to all guests that gets my ire. It is not the suite guests who irritate me, but Royal's cheapness in awarding benefits to people who pay a pretty penny to cruise in the full suites.

So if they were to retro-fit a Diamond or Concierge Lounge on a ship originally built without would that be considered cheap because that area used to be public? Do there need to be walls/bulkheads rather than ropes? Is preferred access to boarding lines and Guest Services wrong too?

What are the official rules that define perks rather than cheap or elitist??

Archived