How long does it take to disembark in ports?

Hi all, my cruise is this Saturday on the Jewel of the Seas and I'm wondering how long does it take to get off of the ship in each port? I have booked some early excursions not thru the cruise line and I'm concerned about how long it takes to get off of the ship. We will be visiting St. Croix, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados and Antigua. I'm pretty sure that we dock and do not tender in any of the ports. On a previous Carnival cruise we had to wait in a long line before we were allowed to disembark. Is is the same way on RC? Thanks for any info.:)

Thanks DonnaK, that's just what I wanted to know. That gives me some piece of mind.

Who are you touring with? Wee had great experiences on all of our private tours, with Cosol on St. Lucia, Grey's tour on St. Kitts, Lawrence of Antigua, and Bernard's tour on St. Maarten (which we did on our last cruise, not the one last week)

Hi Donna,

We're doing Cosol Tours in St. Lucia, a Buck Island tour with Capt. Heinz in St. Croix, Bernard's Tours in St. Maarten, a private tour with Tyrone Griffith in Barbados and a tour of Stingray City in Antigua with the cruise line. Then a relaxing day at sea. I think we'll need that last day to relax. :) I know some people go on a cruise to relax, but we like to see the islands that we visit!!

The ship arrives in port and then she and the passengers and crew must be "cleared" by local authorities. This may take anywhere from 15 - 60 minutes, but usually only 30 minutes or so. You will hear the announcement of when you may go ashore. If you wait another 30 minutes after that announcement, the lines should have diminished, but don't be upset if you do have to wait. The ship is disembarking several thousand passengers - there will be a line up of some sort. ;):)

So, if the ship docks at 8 am, what time do they open the doors?

The local port authority has to clear the ship. It usually does not take long, less than 30 minutes after docking.

Hi Donna,

We're doing Cosol Tours in St. Lucia, a Buck Island tour with Capt. Heinz in St. Croix, Bernard's Tours in St. Maarten, a private tour with Tyrone Griffith in Barbados and a tour of Stingray City in Antigua with the cruise line. Then a relaxing day at sea. I think we'll need that last day to relax. :) I know some people go on a cruise to relax, but we like to see the islands that we visit!!

We loved Cosol! One of the best excursions we've ever done anywhere.

And, Bernard's tour is excellent too!

Have fun!

Did you read Sinny's photo review? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1855341

We were on the cruise with her and she did many of the same excursions (we even appear in some of her photos)

So, if the ship docks at 8 am, what time do they open the doors?
Your ship will likely dock (physically) about an hour before that "8 a.m." time you've been quoted.

As others have already said

it takes anywhere from 15 mins. to an hour for 'Governmental Formalities' to be got thru

then the doors are open for you to go ashore.

Serenade-722.jpg

If you're ready to rock at around 7:45

you'll probably be among the very first to disembark.

Thank you, Aplmac, It makes me feel better to know that the ship actually physically gets to the port before 8am. Some of my excursion pickups are for like 8:15 and 8:30 and I was worried about missing them.

Thank you, Aplmac, It makes me feel better to know that the ship actually physically gets to the port before 8am. Some of my excursion pickups are for like 8:15 and 8:30 and I was worried about missing them.

Don't count on it arriving before its scheduled tim. Often the ship's arrival time coincides quite closely with the time printed on the itinerary. Clearance of the ship by the local authorities only rarely takes up much time. However, all the tour operators are familiar with the time when ship's passengers are able to disembark and will wait a reasonable amount of time for them to arrive at the pick up point. You aren't likely to have to wait any significant amount of time to disembark and meet your excursion.

Hi Donna, yes I have read Sinny's thread and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's certainly getting me excited. Two more days and I will be in Puerto Rico for my trip!!:)

Bon Voyage!

As DonnaK mentioned, it is very easy to get on and off (we were on the same cruise!)

I never waited to get off the ship, just walked right off, sometimes there was a bit of a line to get back on but nothing terrible! Being a first time cruiser I expected long lines to disembark at each port but was very pleasantly surprised how "easy" everything was!

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Docked ports are very quick. Tendered ports take much longer of course. Be sure to be back on the ship at least 30 minutes before departure (and at least 90 minutes before departure from your home port -- your first day on the ship). Oh, and verify the time zone you should use. It is always "ship's time", but that might or might not be the same as local time. I always ask as my set-sail card is "dinged" when I leave the ship.

Bon Voyage!

One more question..... Can I wear my bathing suit and coverup to breakfast in the Windjammer? We'd like to grab a quick breakfast before leaving the ship. If not, should we order room service breakfast?

Thanks

..... Can I wear my bathing suit and coverup to breakfast in the Windjammer? We'd like to grab a quick breakfast before leaving the ship.

As long as it's dry (which it will be) and somewhat modest (not peek-a-boo or risqué), I'm sure you'll be fine. You'll see others in theirs as well.

Archived