Gala night buffet

qybus

Hello, I know about the brunch buffet, but are there also any gala night buffets on Celebrity cruises? (or others culinary events). Thanks.

Hi, the old midnight buffet has been gone for years.

Sometimes they do offer a "Chocolate/Dessert" event but that varies.

I have been to a few of those over the past few years....if you are into

sweets, that can be fun;)...that is late evening. Ask about it once you

board your particular sailing.

As for other culinary events, they have a Chef's Competition (daytime

event) which I have always enjoyed. 2 passengers along with 2 chef's

and 3 judges...(passengers)....Celebrity's take on Iron Chef:)

Sometimes they also have food demos from the restaurants on board.

You need to just read your daily to see what is being offered:)

Early in the cruise, they generally have a food demo where they prepare dishes from each of the specialty restaurants and you can try them. It is, of course, a marketing effort to entice you to dine there, but even if you don't it's interesting to see how the food is prepared and taste it.

There are also generally some cooking demonstrations, contests, etc and at some, they offer discounts for specialty dining that night (but you can negotiate some other night).

In our recent Australia/new Zealand cruise in jan they had a brunch buffet on the first sea day. It was really nice, with breakfast and lunch items including shrimp cocktail, prime rib, sushi and wonderful ice sculptures. Plus a chocolate fountain!!

On one of recent cruises (can't remember which one, but probably Solstice in the Caribbean) there was a pool side bbq buffet one night, I believe later than the second traditional seating. We went out there for the party and dancing, but did not partake of the food, so I can't tell you what was served.

Those late night buffets were a huge amount of work for the staff, and were always pretty to look at and popular with photographers, but most of the food was wasted, so they have been eliminated except for the occasional "pool party" or "deck party" with some food offerings but not nearly the scope of the old late night buffets.

In our recent Australia/new Zealand cruise in jan they had a brunch buffet on the first sea day. It was really nice, with breakfast and lunch items including shrimp cocktail, prime rib, sushi and wonderful ice sculptures. Plus a chocolate fountain!!

Am I the only one who hates chocolate fountains? A total unsanitary,sloppy mess.That also goes for any liquor fountains.

Brunch buffet is standard feature on all X cruises now, Nice but I hate the lines and there's nothing you can't get in a more civilized manner in other places at other times.

But if it's your thing ...enjoy and go for it.

Years ago, on a Carnival cruise, one of the officers told me that line stopped the midnight buffets because only 1/3 of the passengers attended and fewer still actually ate anything. Most came simply to take pictures of the elaborate displays. I'm sure other cruise lines found the same thing.

The brunch buffet is a much better idea, though I suppose an argument could be made for a much less elaborate midnight buffet one evening.

• 11 months later...
Am I the only one who hates chocolate fountains? A total unsanitary,sloppy mess.That also goes for any liquor fountains.

Brunch buffet is standard feature on all X cruises now, Nice but I hate the lines and there's nothing you can't get in a more civilized manner in other places at other times.

But if it's your thing ...enjoy and go for it.

There is no longer a brunch buffet. There is a chocolate fountain one day in the ocean view cafe.

Celebrity did away with the Brunch Buffet it did the last day at sea to save money this year - 2014 :eek:

Well in reality they moved it to the buffet instead of the MDR. Not quite the same but they have the usual lunch items plus some additionsl stuff and the ice carvings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well in reality they moved it to the buffet instead of the MDR. Not quite the same but they have the usual lunch items plus some additionsl stuff and the ice carvings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was not really true on the Spring TA Constellation.

It was nothing even slightly resembling the wonderful brunch buffet that was canned. There were two ice sculptures, instead of a dozen. There was no shrimp and one carving station (the norm in the buffet) surely did not replace the two or three in the gala. Frankly it was the same-o, same-o buffet items that we had ever one of the 14 days, with the addition of a chocolate fountain with marshmallows and one plate of fruit.

No comparison whatsoever between what was on the buffet and what was formerly offered.

Edited by d4m