'Live' from Azamara Journey

English Tim

As soon as guests boarded the excluded drinks were on large tables in the lobby and at all the bars, with crew signing guests up for the packages. Several people I spoke with had no idea that any drinks were included and there is no mention of this on the menus. There was a list in the desk draw in the cabin.

We are now at the airport and have finally got into the lounge. We arrived at about 10.00 and couldn't check in until 11.30. This could be arranged much better, but we are among the lucky ones, as some people's flights don't leave until this evening and they have all sorts of weird routings.

It's nice having included flights, but I prefer to have more control over my arrangements.

Would we book again? Yes, but we'd hope for a much better performance by AZ UK and better communication between the shoreside admin and the ship.

Hi Tim,

Agree about the often disappointing Az UK. But I recently had an issue regarding my October Quest cruise and they have gone above and beyond and I am very grateful to them. Maybe things are improving.

Hope you and Rosy have a safe journey home.

Hazel

Thank you Tim for your posts

You had a very different slant in your posts than I have seen before, particularly in the ports, with some of the things you picked up on. Not all were of significance for me, but what is significant to one is different for others. You did have a high percentage of your posts related to the issue of drinks and their costs, this was clearly something that had bothered you before you sailed and continued to be an issue for you during the cruise. Again, as I am (other than the absence of bubbles) happy with the menu as is, this will not be an issue for me

I note your comments about Azamara UK and the amount of information known by cruisers before people board. I think it is very important not to confuse the obligations of Azamara with the obligations of the agency who sold the cruise to you (I believe you booked through an agency) and from what I am reading, many of these people are not getting the correct information from those primarily responsible to give it to them - their agencies.

In history, I might agree with you about the UK office but I have had nothing but first class service from them over the last few years.

Glad you did on balance enjoy your Azamara experience

Edited by uktog

I used Choice Air to book my flights for October. After using airline and other websites to find the route I liked best, and the price, I called Choice Air and booked the precise flights. The price was the same as quoted by the airline. I suppose if someone is being routed all over, they either live "off the beaten path" or did not involve themselves in picking their flights.

As for drinks, someone just off the Journey from a Greek cruise out of Istanbul stated that when you ordered a cocktail, the server asked if you wanted it made with premium alcohol. When I order a drink, I always state the alcohol brand that I want in the drink. How can that be so confusing? Order the included brand.

As for drinks, someone just off the Journey from a Greek cruise out of Istanbul stated that when you ordered a cocktail, the server asked if you wanted it made with premium alcohol. When I order a drink, I always state the alcohol brand that I want in the drink. How can that be so confusing? Order the included brand.

Hi, if you're referring to my post that isn't actually what happened. If someone ordered a 'cocktail' e.g. a margarita, cosmo etc., the waitress asked do you mean the 'Premium' one which was often a variation of the standard one with different ingredients. She did not say 'shall we make it for you with the standard spirits so that it is free of charge?'

We are all repeating ourselves here but it was not always possible & certainly not obvious that you could order one with the included spirits e.g. 'The Grand Margarita' (11$) includes Grand Marnier.

See Lottie's Link to the menu https://picasaweb.google.com/116396719857053580602/May252013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJn9j83unPaLxAE&feat=directlink The included drinks are photo 13.

Thank you all for your comments, both negative and positive and for your good wishes. We are now safely home, but we had to do a detour due to the M3 being closed, which means we are extra tired, but refreshed after a wonderful holiday.

I'll give my final thoughts, after i've had time to read through my posts.

The flight arrangements need to be looked at. I think customers should be advised that an allowance will be given, if customers feel it would be more convenient to book their own flights, then no-one could complain about their routings / timings etc.

It was a general melee at Athens airport, this morning, with check-in not being open when we were dropped off and when I enquired I was told we'd have to wait for 90 minutes until check-in opened.

Some passengers, rather sensibly, went away for a coffee!

Home after this great cruise.

English Tim and Rosie gave every appearance of having an enjoyable time.

I will write some of my own comments on a separate thread but it was great to have a nil bar bill. Transportation arrangements were excellent. BA's handling agent in Athens opened the flight 2 hours before departure which is industry standard. we were called to disembark at 08.40 and then had a pleasant coach journey of approx one hour.

Yes we had to wait but who in their right mind would stand in line before check in opened. Our party sat and had coffee and croissants in comfortable chairs.

It is open for anyone to arrange their own flights but a check on the flight schedule shows that the 13.35 departure was the most convenient.

In addition most of us from the UK had the advantage of free flights. Any on line check will show that this benefit is worth at least £450 per person. Added to this our one night stay in the Hilton was also included. Very good value for money.

It should also be noted that, as any market research company will tell you, that the answer to a question will depend on the way the question is asked. So if you say to someone " I think the new inclusive drinks are an excellent addition to the great included wines, don't you ? Then the answer is likely to be different to "don't you think the inclusive drinks should include Baileys and Sparkling wine?

Just wish I was back on board rather than facing the unpacking and no food in the refrigerator.

I will write some of my own comments on a separate thread but it was great to have a nil bar bill. Transportation arrangements were excellent. BA's handling agent in Athens opened the flight 2 hours before departure which is industry standard. we were called to disembark at 08.40 and then had a pleasant coach journey of approx one hour.

Yes we had to wait but who in their right mind would stand in line before check in opened. Our party sat and had coffee and croissants in comfortable chairs.

It is open for anyone to arrange their own flights but a check on the flight schedule shows that the 13.35 departure was the most convenient.

In addition most of us from the UK had the advantage of free flights. Any on line check will show that this benefit is worth at least £450 per person. Added to this our one night stay in the Hilton was also included. Very good value for money.

It should also be noted that, as any market research company will tell you, that the answer to a question will depend on the way the question is asked. So if you say to someone " I think the new inclusive drinks are an excellent addition to the great included wines, don't you ? Then the answer is likely to be different to "don't you think the inclusive drinks should include Baileys and Sparkling wine?

Just wish I was back on board rather than facing the unpacking and no food in the refrigerator.

Welcome home Mrs Miggins

Your post was exactly what I was thinking re Athens - and even if I book my own BA flights that is the flight I would be on. So glad you had a great trip and that others seemed likewise

It is a shame that there is this unpacking thing and no fairy topping up your wine glass

Edited by uktog

Clearly I wasn't in the right mind, as once we'd got in the group, we couldn't be bothered to move and our flight was the 14.50, so we had nearly 5 hours to wait.

In future I'd sought my own flights and have greater flexibility.

Thank you for your reviews both. They have really wetted my appetite for our first Azamara cruise. I fear we may still have a bar bill as my husband likes his beer brown and I am partial to a glass of bubbly. I was fully aware that neither of them were included when I booked so please don't think I am complaining.

Do either of you know whether late disembarktion was available ? We have a late afternoon flight out of Athens at the beginning of August & I was hoping to stay on board a little longer.

Like UKtog and having disembarked Quest in Athens airport myself, those are exactly my thoughts too Mrs Miggins.

I hope you and " Minnie The Moocher" had another wonderful cruise! :D

Thank you all for your comments, both negative and positive and for your good wishes. We are now safely home, but we had to do a detour due to the M3 being closed, which means we are extra tired, but refreshed after a wonderful holiday.

I'll give my final thoughts, after i've had time to read through my posts.

The flight arrangements need to be looked at. I think customers should be advised that an allowance will be given, if customers feel it would be more convenient to book their own flights, then no-one could complain about their routings / timings etc.

It was a general melee at Athens airport, this morning, with check-in not being open when we were dropped off and when I enquired I was told we'd have to wait for 90 minutes until check-in opened.

Some passengers, rather sensibly, went away for a coffee!

Thank you again for taking the time to do a "live from" post. Looking forward to hearing your final thoughts as I am on same itinarary in Oct.

My agent is still having fits with "Choice Air", flights originally selected by me and booked with them with one connection each way are now "not available" and alternates being presented by ChoiceAir are all two to three stop flights with ridiculously short connection timeframes. I have been involved in every planning step and hardly live in the middle of nowhere. Cannot understand why this is becoming such an issue with them for the last two weeks. Am hoping it gets resolved soon as I really want to focus on the trip not and a nightmare going and returning.

Thank you again for taking the time to do a "live from" post. Looking forward to hearing your final thoughts as I am on same itinarary in Oct.

My agent is still having fits with "Choice Air", flights originally selected by me and booked with them with one connection each way are now "not available" and alternates being presented by ChoiceAir are all two to three stop flights with ridiculously short connection timeframes. I have been involved in every planning step and hardly live in the middle of nowhere. Cannot understand why this is becoming such an issue with them for the last two weeks. Am hoping it gets resolved soon as I really want to focus on the trip not and a nightmare going and returning.

Did you book Flex Air which did not need to be paid until final, or did you book regular Choice Air and pay in full? If Flex Air, the downside of Flex Air is that it is more like traditional Cruise Air and you are only guaranteed flights between point A and point B. The cruise line is trying to sell flights they already purchased and the fights you wanted were likely taken by someone else, assuming they were not canceled by the airline. They can explain better on the Cruise Air board.

Edited by Jade13

Clearly I wasn't in the right mind, as once we'd got in the group, we couldn't be bothered to move and our flight was the 14.50, so we had nearly 5 hours to wait.

In future I'd sought my own flights and have greater flexibility.

I have been following your pre cruise and live cruise blog, and will be looking forward to reading your overall views of Azamara compared with Seabourn. I hope your report will be like for like pound for pound on travel arrangement, food, entertainment, onboard staff & price I think the drinks issue has been well debated. I have sailed with Azamara twice before and found the wine with Lunch and dinner very acceptable I am looking forward to the extended all bars choice of 7 white or 7reds and I can live the inclusive cocktail & spirit list on my next trip in 2014, if anyone really enjoys a certain brand of drink and they do not want to pay the reduced charges offered on Azamara, they can always bring their preferred tipple on board with them. On the flight check in time I was of the opinion these desks nomally opened 3hrs before the flight departure

Thank you for your reviews both. They have really wetted my appetite for our first Azamara cruise. I fear we may still have a bar bill as my husband likes his beer brown and I am partial to a glass of bubbly. I was fully aware that neither of them were included when I booked so please don't think I am complaining.

Do either of you know whether late disembarktion was available ? We have a late afternoon flight out of Athens at the beginning of August & I was hoping to stay on board a little longer.

Several passengers seemed to have arranged late disembarkation, but I had forgotten about this, but I think it probably suits those with evening flights, best.

I wasn't complaining about Az's airport arrangements, it was just a comment, but maybe as I like to have more control of my destiny, I should consider booking my own flights. However, as Pam says, it was excellent value for money. Currently, through BA's Exec Club, I can book return flights to Europe very cheaply, but as these arrangements were made for us, we decided to go with the 'flow'.

One of the challenges with cruises that end in Athens is the timing of available flights coupled with the fact that Athens is one of the airports that does not open check in until 2 hours previously. In the case of BA it is an outsourced operation and one that does not offer an earlier fast bag drop. You were lucky they opened it 2 hours ahead, sadly that is an airport where Flyertalk has many reports of service issues.

Whilst BA Executive Club members can use Avios to reduce the price of their trips, the availability of these flights are limited and it is usually on the later flights that you can get them unless you book a year ahead. In case others think they have missed something BA have not offered cheaper flights exclusively to Executive Card holders for several years not even for those of us with the highest level.

Our experience on an included flights Azamara cruise last year that ended in Athens was that the premium we would have had too pay to be in control was way too high when as Mrs Miggins says you add in the cost of the Hilton and transfers to the price.

The late disembarkation option which left the ship at 1230 was perfect for anyone on the 1500 flight, those on the earlier one as we were because we had an onward connecting flight made sure we left on the last normal transfer T 0945 so the wait was time for one cuppa at the airport.

What was good if anyone is a BA Gold or Platinum card holder, make sure you ask at checkin about upgrades - we have had 100% success at Athens on tickets issued by Azamara and have discovered they are happy to do that whenever they can for no cost as they seem to have a local additional recognition for these tiers where seats are available

UKTog, alas I am a lowly 'Blue', but have amassed a load of miles through thrifty housekeeping and effective use of credit cards.

One couple on our cruise got the AZ concierge to call BA and were allocated seats in row 9, which turned out to be in Club. The first 11 rows were in club. Sadly I was in the more space restricted row 15 and I am tall, so it was uncomfortable.

We concluded that we would try and cruise from either Rome or Barcelona in future, as they have shorter flights.

I have been following your pre cruise and live cruise blog, and will be looking forward to reading your overall views of Azamara compared with Seabourn.

One early comparison I can make is that I put on about the same weight on both cruises, although the AZ version was shorter!:(

We bought an all inclusive cruise from a leading UK TA. The package included flights from LHR, a 1-night pre-cruise stay at Athens Hilton, gratuities and transfers and was excellent vfm.

Transfers

We arrived on time and we were given trolleys to take our luggage to the waiting coaches. We were quickly on our way and the arrangements were excellent. They were a lot of passengers arriving at the same time and luckily for us we were at the front of the bus, so got to check-in quickly. It helps if you have Hilton Gold membership, as this gets an upgrade to the exec floor, with lounge. use of spa and free wifi. The lounge provided a Continental breakfast and a happy hour (actually 2.5 hours) with drinks and snacks.

The hotel is extremely comfortable with large rooms with bath / shower. A substantial breakfast buffet was included for everyone. great start to the holiday.

The transfer to the port was less well organised. We were offered a choice of a 09.15 departure, including a tour of the Acropolis, or a noon departure straight to the port. Most seemed to go for the latter, so everyone assembled in a big group, with no seats allocated, so there was a mad rush each time a bus pulled up. We waited in comfort for the last one and were taken on a 'scenic' route, to avoid waiting in line too long at check-in. It was a bit chaotic and several folks on our bus were desperate to use the bathroom when we arrived at the port. I reckon it would more sensible to stagger the departures and allocate people to specific vehicles.

The transfer back to the airport was efficient.

Azamara's representatives in Athens were hard-working and efficient.

Check-in

We arrived at the port at about 1.30pm and there was a wait of about 15 minutes to check-in, then we were soon onboard and able to go straight to our room 7061, which was in an excellent location. We were handed a glass of Champagne and in front of us was a large table of alcoholic beverages and staff attempting to sell drinks packages. One lady told them she didn't need one as she had booked all inclusive. We had an excellent buffet lunch, with cocktails and then began to unpack.

Orientation

We soon had a copy of 'Pursuits', the ship's daily newsheet and attended a tour of the ship, by Sarah-Lou, a bubbly young Yorkshire lass - deputy CD. One lady, new to cruising, didn't realise there was a gym onboard and hadn't brought any leisure clothes or trainers, so the gym was out of bounds for her.

Food

We found the food to be excellent throughout. We always ate breakfast outdoors in Windows, where I enjoyed the Bircher Muesli, fresh orange juice, smoothies and the ginger based energiser. Occasionally I had pancakes or baked peaches.

Breakfast was also available, with service, in the restaurant and pastries were also in the Mosaic cafe. I often went there for coffees and other drinks, but didn't pay for the Nepresso varieties.

If we ate lunch, it was the buffet in Windows. These meals always offered a wide choice, with probably too many puddings!

Windows offered a themed buffet each evening. We tried the Indian and Mediterranean, which were fine, but I felt the restaurant food was better at night.

We didn't try either speciality restaurant or the poolside grill, as we were quite happy with our other arrangements.

The wine served with lunch and dinner seemed to be of a good quality and was generally liked. There was no shortage of refills.

Alcoholic beverages

As many will know, this was an area of great contention. I didn't appreciate the frequent attempts by the crew to sell beverage upgrade packages, nor their attempts to sell premium drinks and liqueurs on the 'White Night' party.

We enjoyed some good wines with our dinner, possibly better quality than on Seabourn, but it was more difficult to get our favourites if we didn't like the daily offering.

Many bar staff didn't know the ingredients of many of the included cocktails and some were confused as to which ones were included, preferring either all or none to be included.

All coffees with liqueurs were extra, which surprised me.

Entertainment

Some of the singing and music was very good, but the entertainment lacked variety, at least to our tastes, so we often went to bed earlier than we might have done.

The Zumba session was an experience and the only thing that kept me going was the fit young lady in front of me!

The White night party was sensational and we did much dancing, including a massive conga around two decks.

The Azamazing evening concert at Ephesus was a wonderful treat and all staff made great efforts to ensure that everyone had a good time. No-one could do anything about the goats, whose bells jangled occasionally, nor the wind which blew some music sheets around, causing much sympathetic laughter. Food and drink were good, but great care had to be taken with the uneven steps and walkways around the venue.

Officers and crew

Virtually all crew offered first class service, with only a few being at all unfriendly. I was frequently addressed by name, which lead me to believe that my photo had been circulated.

Many of the ship's officers made an effort to speak with us and I was particularly impressed by the efficient Heike.

Le Club Voyager

As we had previously cruised with Celebrity, I joined Le Club and I'm so glad I did, as beside the two parties, to which we were invited, we each received 90 minutes of free wi-fi, significantly reducing our onboard spend.

Our bill

We started with an OBC of $300, which was difficult to use, so Rosy had a haircut and we took shore excursions to Santorini and some more internet.

The Casino only took cash, so no chance of getting refunds of OBC.

Comparison Azamara v Seabourn

We felt there was no difference with the crew or the food, but Seabourn offer far more included drinks and free entry to speciality restaurants. The Seabourn pool area was far superior as were the accommodations.

We would return to either line in a flash! We also want to try Crystal and Silversea, but all future bookings will be price dependent, as I don't believe there will be much to choose from any of them.

If I have missed any areas out, please let me know.

Several passengers seemed to have arranged late disembarkation, but I had forgotten about this, but I think it probably suits those with evening flights, best.

Thanks, I will ask if there is late disembarkation available once on board.

Thanks Tim for your review. We have an Azamara cruise booked for August, the first time sailing on the 'more inclusive' and a Seabourn booked for November. It will be interesting to see how they differ. You mentioned that you would like to try Silverseas and Crystal. I am fortunate to have sailed on both of these lines. The best thing about Azamara is their crew. I also find the food superior but the cabins, even the suites, are inferior.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One area I didn't mention is guest services, who go the extra mile to ensure guests are happy and that problems are solved.

New customers should be aware that the balconies aren't very private, as when leaning against the rail, it is possible to see into adjacent cabins and balconies.

Hi Tim,

Agree about the often disappointing Az UK. But I recently had an issue regarding my October Quest cruise and they have gone above and beyond and I am very grateful to them. Maybe things are improving.

Hope you and Rosy have a safe journey home.

Hazel

Personally I think Azamara UK have had a lot of unfair press and it has been shown that they have often been victims of delayed comms from their head office. Whenever I have had to deal with them, they have always been efficient, even if they have not always been able to acquiesce to all my requests! ;)

I think it helps if people use the proper Azamara email address for the UK too!