'Live' from Azamara Journey

English Tim

This thread will be live from Azamara Journey, on a cruise which leaves Athens on Monday, 10 June for 7 nights, returning to the same port, via Mykonos, Kusadasi, Kos, Rhodes, Marmaris and Santorini. Mykonos, Kos, Rhodes and Santorini are part of Greece and Marmaris and Kusadasi, Turkey.

My wife, Rosy and I will be flying out from London Heathrow at 07.10 on Sunday, 9 June, staying 1 night (booked by Azamara) at Athens Hilton and they include transfers from Airport to hotel to ship and back, at the end.

Here are a couple of pictures of us....... formal and less so.......

293812_10151229417095747_1452630582_n.jpg

601370_10152090160080274_1380721077_n.jpg

488017_10151210074265747_1451960904_n.jpg

This is me at work (Rosy has recently retired - she was a midwife for over 40 years)

574473_405585602835583_955273568_n.jpg

This will be our first AZ cruise and some of you may have noticed me being quite vociferous (via the keyboard) about the 'more inclusive' / 'all inclusive' feature of Azamara cruises since the Spring. Therefore I decided to try a 'live from' thread, rather than a post cruise review. This should enable me to post as it happens stuff and answer current questions.

We are booked into Cabin 7061, which I am told, by my TA, is a good location.

So far we have booked just two excursions - the included Amazing Evening, at Ephesus, while we're docked at Kusadasi and we've also booked a walking tour of Kusadasi, including a visit to a Hammam (Turkish Bath). We mostly explore on our own, enjoying travelling with the locals and renting bicycles and occasionally a car. This is usually very rewarding and also fairly inexpensive (I won't say 'cheap', as my US friends take that to mean something slightly different - I think!)

Posting pictures may be an issue, as I usually load them to FB, then copy and paste to here, but I'll do my best.

Cruising history

I started cruising 45 years ago on SS Uganda, on a school trip. In 1991 I cruised across the Atlantic on the old Royal Princess, then Rosy and I took our honeymoon (with 3 kids) on Fred Olsen's Black Prince. Rosy wasn't to chuffed with it, as was quite different from what I had told her about Princess, so we took land based vacations for a while, until I persuaded her to try a Carnival Victory voyage, whilst we also had a week in Florida.

We had a fantastic time and she was hooked.

Since then, until last October we had cruised with Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. Then we saw an offer for Regent Seven Seas Voyager and got the taste for being spoilt!

All our cruises have either been in the Mediterranean, either from Southampton UK, or fly cruises from Rome or Barcelona, plus Caribbean voyages from Florida or Texas.

We have recently been on our first Seabourn Odyssey cruise, which was wonderful, but we are keen to try other lines to check them out.

I know it's a couple of days to go, but I thought i'd whet your appetite (and mine!).

Thanks, this one will be slightly different, as for the first time, they'll be no formal evenings, so not so many clothes needed (at least for me!).

Am really interested to hear your thoughts.

You have certainly selected a great itinerary.

Have a safe flight and a great time (and have a few 'included' Mango Martini's for me). LOL

Am really interested to hear your thoughts.

You have certainly selected a great itinerary.

Have a safe flight and a great time (and have a few 'included' Mango Martini's for me). LOL

Thanks. I tried a Mango Margarita on Seabourn and didn't like it, but I'll give the Martini a go.:)

Enjoy your cruise, I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

You should have a great holiday.

I've recently returned from a similar 10 night itinerary on Oceania's Riviera.

If you enjoy seeing antiquities I recommend taking the ferry from Mykonos to Delos.

Hi Tim,

looking forward to meeting you as we are on the same cruise. Our roll call has been very quiet so it will be interesting to see how full Journey is.

Just started packing. I think you will love Azamara. Of course the weather in the Uk after a cold, wet and windy spring has now turned into glorious summer so looking forward to more sun in Greece and Turkey.

Hi Tim,

Wishing you smooth flights and a fabulous sailing. As our first Azamara cruise will occur in a few months, I am especially interested in your observations. Also, your itinerary is on my "to do" list and I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Love photos and looking forward to more.

Bon voyage Tim (and Rosy)!

Marion

Hi Tim

We will be sailing on the Journey from Athens as you disembark so will be very interested in your updates (also staying at the Hilton in Athens). Last year we sailed on the Seabourn Quest and the Azamara Quest and we loved both for different reasons - one smarter and more space and the other very friendly and felt like home. Have a great cruise.

We are staying in the Athens hilton in sept,i will be interested in how the transfers work and if breakfast is included

Have a good cruise :)

They worked like a dream last October - luggage went separately direct to your cabin on board. Breakfast was included - it was a huge buffet, we had trouble containing ourselves as some of the pastries were delicious as we knew we would be on board by lunchtime

It is about a 20-30 min drive to the port not through the smartest parts of Athens.

Excellent news as regards a "live" report!

We are doing exactly the same cruise next June on the Quest, can't wait, wish it was this June! :)

The ports of call are gorgeous, esp Santorini and Rhodes.

Hello English Tim -

I'll be looking forward to your on-the-spot reports about your perceptions of the Azamara Club Cruises onboard experience.

Happy Sailing to you and Rosy!

Bon Voyage,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hi English Tim,

Have a wonderful cruise and I look forward to reading about your experience.We did a similar cruise earlier this year on NCL Spirit after our cruise on Carnival Sunshines' first sailing was cancelled.

Genine

Well, time marches on and like others we have received the rather blunt official email telling us CC fun is cancelled, but hey we'll have fun anyway. I think Azamara could find a more pleasant way of informing us.:(

Just been shopping for our last few fashion items (well in my case, essentials with very little to do with fashion!) and I'm now ready to pack and Rosy is almost done. We seem to have the same size bags as for a two week cruise, so some changes may be coming, especially as I have now become quite domesticated and can now use soap powder!

Luke has just returned from Uni and his stuff is all over the place, so we could end up packing his clothes, which would be a shame, as he is shorter (and thinner) than me. ;)

Tomorrow morning, check-in for our flight opens, so we'll really feel like we're on our way.

Don't take too much notice of the email saying the CC meeting is cancelled. Apparently,unless 25 or more register, there is an automatic cancellation email from Miami. Once onboard you can check your daily sheet or speak to guest relations as there will most certainly be a M and G. Also, speak to others on your roll call. Have a great time.

Tim.....there will be a CC party held anyway, as others have said. The email is computer generated from Miami but the lovely crew onboard will make sure it's held anyway. Ask the Le Club Voyage Hostess, Guest Relations as UKtog said or look in the Pursuits magazine for the times.

Have a great time. :)

Hi Tim,

Just posted on your roll call the M&M will amlost certainly take place onboard usually at sailaway on the first day.

We board as you disembark, have a great trip and I am looking forward to your 'live from'. :)

Linda

Hi Tim,

We checked with ou TA who phoned Azamara and they said we could not check in online as the locator is for a group booking. Last year we did manage to get an individual locator, but different TA. Are you booked direct with Azamara?

Hi Tim,

We checked with our TA who phoned Azamara and they said we could not check in online as the locator is for a group booking. Last year we did manage to get an individual locator, but different TA. Are you booked direct with Azamara?

No, we are booked with 'Royalty' so to speak and I asked them for a flight reference, which I entered into my BAEC log. When we cruised Seabourn with similar arrangements, we did OLCI with no problems.

Hi Tim,

Wishing you and your DW a wonderful cruise on Journey. I'm fairly certain Captain Johannes is currently onboard, and he's fantastic. We look forward to your updates.

Bon Voyage !