'Live' from Azamara Journey

English Tim

Hello Hazel, having sailed on both, the differences are very minor and don't detract from the overall experience. For example on our last cruise on the Journey, they didn't provide the 'Energizer' at breakfast unlike on the Quest. Having spoken to the restaurant manager on our first day, he emailed the Quest for the recipe and it appeared on the Smoothie bar the next day and every day thereafter. How's that for service!

Steve

Rose,

That sounds like Azamara service to me and it's v impressive isn't it?

I was glad to read your post as you have sailed on both ships. We have been hesitating to book Journey because we love Quest so much. I also know that I am being completely irrational about this

Hazel

Hilary, I'll add my tuppenny's worth. Having just spent 17 days on Journey (my second time on that ship) and in comparison to Quest I love them both. As this live from thread seems to be focusing a lot on drink I will say that I thought the bar staff on my Journey cruise just gone were the best of any cruises I have been on. If you love Quest (which I know you do), I'm sure you will be very happy on Journey too.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Tim can you tell me if there are any non alcoholic drinks for a non drinker on the drinks menu that are not the soda types of Coke, Sprite, or orange juice. My preference would be apple juice, or any other non fizzy drink. Staff usually have to search if I ask for apple juice in the evening so I end up drinking water.

Zennor posted this in English Tim's "Controversy" thread:

"We also liked asking for the non-alcoholic Tropical Lemonade whenever we fancied a refreshing long drink."

Thank you all for your responses they are very helpful.

Phil, I know I will love Journey once we are on board and the itinerary looks great. Ryszard is floating between the 2 ships now as HD so I am hoping he is on Journey when we board though as I think he is on Quest at the moment perhaps we shall finally get to meet Heike.

Hilary

That's right. There were 4 non-alcoholic cocktails as well as coke & sprite (diet & normal). I had a papaya something & we liked the tropical lemonade. Am not sure what was in the other two (at risk of repeating myself they don't tell you what's in the 'free' cocktails. You have to guess or ask). I don't know if there are any juices but I think you can ask. It appears that the name of the game is to 'ask' - you just need to know that you can ask. :rolleyes: Why can't they just tell you? Why make it so difficult?

Sorry was just in general not to answer your request but I can help with....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze_(cocktail):p:p;);)

We found that generally the bar staff did not know what was in the cocktails and some of the mixes.... well horrid! Lol.. They always called the bar supervisor everytime someone asked :)

Some things they knew!

By the way I have not written or commented on our first Azamara experience because something really disgusting was under the bed in our cabin!!!!

Still hoping to hear something back about it before commenting or reviewing. We did not report it, (talked to relevant officers several times and nearly did a couple of times). We just gave it, in a pink hygiene bag, to one of the stewards in the corridor (bag was see through), with the words 'disgusting recently .... ......, we found this under the bed'. Perhaps we should have said something, but we did not want to get them in trouble or anti us, when it was only a 4 day cruise. We hoped they would have cleaned the cabin again but the same blue/black bits of fluff remained on the floor and the dust on the shelves also stayed.

Edited by HudandPug

Yes, there's a few non-alcoholic cocktails. Juices are also available.

Phil, i am just eating some nice cookies in Mosaic

Hi Tim

I have been following your Azamara pre cruise and live cruise reviews, can you confirm Journey does not have all the complimentary wines listed on their web site, if not are they are offering a like for like or premium wine as a substitute in its place.

Bill

We found that generally the bar staff did not know what was in the cocktails and some of the mixes.... well horrid! Lol.. They always called the bar supervisor everytime someone asked :)

Some things they knew!

By the way I have not written or commented on our first Azamara experience because something really disgusting was under the bed in our cabin!!!!

Still hoping to hear something back about it before commenting or reviewing. We did not report it, (talked to relevant officers several times and nearly did a couple of times). We just gave it, in a pink hygiene bag, to one of the stewards in the corridor (bag was see through), with the words 'disgusting recently .... ......, we found this under the bed'. Perhaps we should have said something, but we did not want to get them in trouble or anti us, when it was only a 4 day cruise. We hoped they would have cleaned the cabin again but the same blue/black bits of fluff remained on the floor and the dust on the shelves also stayed.

Did you take a picture of it? I don't understand that you said nothing while onboard but wrote a letter (?) to Miami. Who are you waiting to hear from?

Edited by Jade13

Hi Tim

I have been following your Azamara pre cruise and live cruise reviews, can you confirm Journey does not have all the complimentary wines listed on their web site, if not are they are offering a like for like or premium wine as a substitute in its place.

Bill

2 weeks ago the Journey had the usual selection of 7 white and 7 red and 1 rose wine on offer. If you did not like the wines on offer that day it was very easy to ask for a wine from a previous night. All wines were very high quality. And flowed freely. I find it very hard to believe that the selection on offer has declined or differs so drastically just 14 days later, as ET implies.:rolleyes:

The selection on this list gives a good indication to the range and variety available:

Boutique Wines

Kato Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)

Bulletin Place Shiraz (Australia)

Gérard Bertrand Chardonnay Réserve Spéciale (France)

Gérard Bertrand Cabernet Sauvignon Réserve Spéciale (France)

Caposaldo Pinot Grigio (Italy)

Melini Laborel Chianti Classico (Italy)

Main Street Chardonnay (California)

Castle Rock Pinot Noir (California)

Stellenzicht Sauvignon Blanc (South Africa)

Stellenzicht Pinotage (South Africa)

Cousiño Macul Riesling Reserva (Chile)

Cousiño Macul Cabernet Sauvignon Antiguas Reservas (Chile)

Bogle Chardonnay (California)

The Crusher Merlot (California)

Serra da Estrela Albariño (Portugal)

JMF Periquita (Portugal)

Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc (California)

Cline Zinfandel (California)

Clos Clementine Rosé (France)

Edited by little britain

Jade13

sorry badly worded. While we were on the ship we hoped, having given the object to our cabin steward that we may have recieved a letter of apology. However, it was a fast and furious 4 days for us and although we, as you do when on Azamara, spoke several times to the Captain and various other officers, we did not want to get anyone into trouble if the steward had not reported it. We kept hoping that the steward would, maybe if the cruise was longer?

However, it really was not acceptable levels of cleaning to leave something like that in a cabin, when it was only about an inch under the bed.

We have not sailed a great deal compared to everyone on here, only NCL, Costa, Celebrity. But our cabin was the uncleanest and least cleaned that we have ever encountered.

There was little things that you notice. The flowers had not water and were already half dead (I gave them water each day, but they were already half dead), the big cushions on the bed were removed, on celebrity they stayed and I prefered them to the smaller ones. The bits on the floor that were there when we arrived, never moved. Along with the dust writing on the shelves.

To be honest it was disgusting and embarassing and we just wanted to enjoy ourselves and not get into a situation of talking about it to a ships officer in polite company.

Other guests commented on the party that had been onboard the previous cruise, which may or may not have had a bearing on our cabin condition. But the point always was that if the cabin had been cleaned properly, the item would have found its way into a vacuum cleaner and probably blocked it! Or made a very interesting noise! The hand, foot and other marks on the wall mirror may have been removed too.

Sorry English Tim, I was just going to make it a bit of a joke and ask 'have you checked under your bed' lol

I am sure it is not something that ever happens normally and it was just a very busy change over for the ships crew!

No review for this one, shame because we had a magnificent time:)

Sorry everyone :o

HudandPug ,

I was on Quest between May 5 and 16 and my cabin was immaculate and cleaned perfectly every day.

There is no excuse for what you experienced and although I appreciate that you had a very busy schedule and your priority was to enjoy the Grand Prix, I would have had a quiet word with Guest Relations. After all, that is why they are there.

Hope it won't prevent you sailing with Azamara again

HudandPug .....I know about the type of cruise before yours, so I can make a guess as to what the "object" was, but I do think you should have told Ryszard the Hotel Director. I have never had a dusty and unclean cabin on Quest and I think he would have been appalled to learn of your experience. :eek:

Yvonne, what you experienced on Quest is unacceptable. You should have reported it to the Hotel Director or at least the Chief Housekeeper, regardless of the length of cruise. This at least gives them a chance to make things right with you. The steward isn't going to report it for fear of getting into trouble, but it's something that should be reported up the line, even if it's for the sake of other cruisers on your trip or those following. I think you had Ryszard as your Hotel Director. Knowing him he would have taken the matter very seriously. As it stands you've come home with a bad feeling, stewed over it, posted about it here and the issue may still be unreported on the ship.

Phil

took me a while to think through the words of this, but Lottie and Hazel have said it too.

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Hey, I thought this thread was about your reaction to your first Azamara cruise. I believe that you have been very actively participating in another thread that deals with the poor way that Azamara announced the new liquor policy, and the multiple attempts to define it.

So how is the cruise going. How's the food, the itinerary, the officers and crew...etc? What needs improvement? So, how's it going? Have you signed up for any additional Azamara cruises, or do you find other lines to be a better price / performer?

Agree with you BillC.

My objective on a cruise is to enjoy my vacation.

Based on his previous reviews and experience with upper-level cruise lines, I expected that EnglishTim would provide constructive feedback on Azamara vs. Seabourn, etc. However, he seems to be way too obsessed with what is or is not included in the "all-inclusive" alcohol.

What else meets, exceeds, or falls short of expectations?

Jade13

sorry badly worded. While we were on the ship we hoped, having given the object to our cabin steward that we may have recieved a letter of apology. However, it was a fast and furious 4 days for us and although we, as you do when on Azamara, spoke several times to the Captain and various other officers, we did not want to get anyone into trouble if the steward had not reported it. We kept hoping that the steward would, maybe if the cruise was longer?

However, it really was not acceptable levels of cleaning to leave something like that in a cabin, when it was only about an inch under the bed.

We have not sailed a great deal compared to everyone on here, only NCL, Costa, Celebrity. But our cabin was the uncleanest and least cleaned that we have ever encountered.

There was little things that you notice. The flowers had not water and were already half dead (I gave them water each day, but they were already half dead), the big cushions on the bed were removed, on celebrity they stayed and I prefered them to the smaller ones. The bits on the floor that were there when we arrived, never moved. Along with the dust writing on the shelves.

To be honest it was disgusting and embarassing and we just wanted to enjoy ourselves and not get into a situation of talking about it to a ships officer in polite company.

Other guests commented on the party that had been onboard the previous cruise, which may or may not have had a bearing on our cabin condition. But the point always was that if the cabin had been cleaned properly, the item would have found its way into a vacuum cleaner and probably blocked it! Or made a very interesting noise! The hand, foot and other marks on the wall mirror may have been removed too.

Sorry English Tim, I was just going to make it a bit of a joke and ask 'have you checked under your bed' lol

I am sure it is not something that ever happens normally and it was just a very busy change over for the ships crew!

No review for this one, shame because we had a magnificent time:)

Sorry everyone :o

Hello HudandPug -

First there is no need for you to apologize. We are very sorry and disturbed to read your report not only about the item you found not too far under your bed and the superficial cleaning that you found in your stateroom, but also learning about your reluctance to bring that to the attention of our Hotel Manager.

We truly value on-the-spot feedback to our onboard management team. It's the most effective method for performance improvement for our staff. It enables our onboard management team to check their progress along the path toward continual improvement in our onboard experience. I assure you that our Hotel Director would have taken your feedback very seriously.

I assume that you were on the Azamara Quest's May 23 - 27, 2013 4-night Grand Prix voyage which followed a prior charter operation. I've forwarded your comments to our Vice President of Hotel Operations and Hotel Director about this service shortfall for follow-up with their staff.

I was pleased that none the less, you had a "magnificent" time. I hope that this uncharacteristic housekeeping shortfall will diminish from your memories so that you'll be able to focus on the highlights of your forthcoming voyage on the Azamara Journey's April 15, 2014 voyage, Mumbai to Athens.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Day 5 – Rhodes

Today we had a leisurely morning, as weren’t docking until noon, so Rosy and I did our first Zumba class. It was great fun working out with all those fit ladies, but very hard work!

983972_10151667308755747_896157229_n.jpg

1005147_10151667632860747_467629953_n.jpg

7257_10151667633585747_995247974_n.jpg

942816_10151667633900747_159017607_n.jpg

It was the Officer’s BBQ today so we had an early lunch then walked around Rhodes old town, before taking the train tour. 45 mins for 5 Euros pp. It was ok and certainly relaxing. We returned to the ship for coffee and sandwiches, did some sunbathing in glorious evening sunshine, before changing for the evening’s ‘white’ party and a buffet supper on the pool deck.

996838_10151669034765747_1909935486_n.jpg

The party was fantastic, with great music, a wonderful atmosphere and brilliant dancing. Wine was also flowing freely. The one disappointing thing was the bar staff frequently trying to sell premium liqueurs and cognac. I thought we’d escaped that ‘hawking’ when we got back onboard.

1017204_10151669034900747_1359976221_n.jpg

Rosy had her haircut and washed and looked a picture, as usual. She felt she was overcharged, but as we have lots of OBC, she didn’t make a fuss. This made us a little late for the buffet, but there was still plenty to go around and no lines.

Hi Tim

Bill

Certainly not all the listed wines are available. I believe they have 7 reds, 7 whites and a Rose. Having said that many people have said how good the available ones are.