'Live' from Azamara Journey

English Tim

An interesting blog Tim, but as a previous Az customer, nothing new apart from the drinks issue. _However,_ compared with Cunard, and probably others, the prices for 'premiums' aren't bad!

Thanks for the pics, especially of Journey in port. Doesn't she look great with that new blue hull!

In terms of travel arrangements you may prefer in future to use a different agent? The one we use [i'm not allowed to name them] gives us the flights of our choice, and all transfers are done by private car. For example - arrival at Athens to be greeted by a smiling driver with a name card who took our luggage trolley and and led to a nice big shiny Merc.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks, this one will be slightly different, as for the first time, they'll be no formal evenings, so not so many clothes needed (at least for me!).

hello, english tim, i was sweltering on my porch in virginia, waiting for the air conditioner to be serviced,replaced, when i was transported to the grand canal. Thank you for the pictures.

One of the challenges with cruises that end in Athens is the timing of available flights coupled with the fact that Athens is one of the airports that does not open check in until 2 hours previously. In the case of BA it is an outsourced operation and one that does not offer an earlier fast bag drop. You were lucky they opened it 2 hours ahead, sadly that is an airport where Flyertalk has many reports of service issues.

Whilst BA Executive Club members can use Avios to reduce the price of their trips, the availability of these flights are limited and it is usually on the later flights that you can get them unless you book a year ahead. In case others think they have missed something BA have not offered cheaper flights exclusively to Executive Card holders for several years not even for those of us with the highest level.

Our experience on an included flights Azamara cruise last year that ended in Athens was that the premium we would have had too pay to be in control was way too high when as Mrs Miggins says you add in the cost of the Hilton and transfers to the price.

The late disembarkation option which left the ship at 1230 was perfect for anyone on the 1500 flight, those on the earlier one as we were because we had an onward connecting flight made sure we left on the last normal transfer T 0945 so the wait was time for one cuppa at the airport.

Apologies for not seeing this and thus not responding before my VtA cruise, but I had no difficulty with online checkin at Athens Airport on my Azamara cruise earlier this year, thus saving myself hassle.

I did the same for Rome airport when returning from the VtA cruise- the reception desk kindly printed out my boarding pass for me- and VtA automatically book a coach for you convenient for your flight time, so you don't have to worry about sorting out late disembarkation. We had a Mercedes coach and guide for 6 of us, giving us information about the history of Citivechia and the area between there and the airport.

Of course it then went rapidly downhill with BA but that's another story...

Apologies for not seeing this and thus not responding before my VtA cruise, but I had no difficulty with online checkin at Athens Airport on my Azamara cruise earlier this year, thus saving myself hassle.

The issue at Athens is not the printing of the boarding passes via online check in it is accessing the fast bag drop to hand over luggage which does not open until between 90 mins and 120 mins before scheduled take off. Most other airports will take luggage a little earlier, especially for Gold and Silver card holders but Athens is a law unto itself - its not a BA issue, its an airport issue.

BA has of late been very variable and anyone who is hoping to enjoy the terminal lounges in the UK based on Exec Club membership should be aware they have awarded the franchise to another catering company and to say the food and drink has been dumbed down is the nicest thing that can be said about it. Certainly not fun for those who are commuting up and down to London as much as DH and relies on T5 Heathrow for sustenance after a long day of work

The issue at Athens is not the printing of the boarding passes via online check in it is accessing the fast bag drop to hand over luggage which does not open until between 90 mins and 120 mins before scheduled take off. Most other airports will take luggage a little earlier, especially for Gold and Silver card holders but Athens is a law unto itself - its not a BA issue, its an airport issue.

That's been my experience at Athens, most recently in May. We had quite a bit of hanging around waiting for check-in to open and they certainly weren't rushing. Less than two hours before the flight I think. Once in the BA lounge we had a pleasant surprise. The food and service were very good.

Phil

Our experience of Athens wasn't good, as we arrived at about 10.00 for a 14.50 flight. Fortunately there was also a 13.35 BA flight, so we were able to check in earlier. I believe they opened the desks earlier than planned, as there were so many people milling around, so blocking access for others.

When check-in opened at around 11.00, there were two Club desks and 1 Economy check-in and two fast bag drops. of course we were in the slowest, although several people went in the Club line, pleading ignorance at the desk.

All three lounges seemed comfortable and accommodating, but we chose the BA one. The hour of free wifi was a nuisance, with such a long wait.

UKtog, I wasn't aware of the catering changes at T5. We used to sit in Wetherspoons, then acquired a Marco Polo GC, allowing us access to One World lounges. Now that has expired, so unless we're flying CW or F, we'll be back in Wetherspoons. At LGW and other LHR terminals we can use our Priority Pass cards.

Apologies once more for misunderstanding; I flew back with Aegean Airlines from Athens and just strolled up to the check in desk with my Boarding pass and gave them my case. Somewhat nervously, I must confess, since BA had charged me an arm and a leg for excess baggage when I flew out to Mumbai, but I'd done some shifting around and Athens was very laid back about it.

Obviously getting to an airport hours before the flight is due to take off is a pain all round; that's why I was happy that VtA automatically deferred my disembarkation at Citiveccia until noon...

There were a bunch of journalists on board this week. We talked to some of them. There seem to be a few articles out already.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/7/3/11177/73790/travel/Five+Reasons+You+Should+Suck+It+Up+and+Go+On+a+Greek+Islands+Cruise

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lisaloverro/2013/07/08/cruising-the-agean-sea-aboard-the-azamara-journey-cruise-ship/

These were linked via Azamara's FB so some of you have already seen them.:)

There were a bunch of journalists on board this week. We talked to some of them. There seem to be a few articles out already.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/7/3/11177/73790/travel/Five+Reasons+You+Should+Suck+It+Up+and+Go+On+a+Greek+Islands+Cruise

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lisaloverro/2013/07/08/cruising-the-agean-sea-aboard-the-azamara-journey-cruise-ship/

These were linked via Azamara's FB so some of you have already seen them.:)

Thank you. I hadn't seen the articles.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the review on this page. Our last three cruises have been on Seabourn so it was good to read your review. I have already prepared myself for the smaller cabin and bathroom!! I am sure we will still have a wonderful holiday on Azamara.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the review on this page. Our last three cruises have been on Seabourn so it was good to read your review. I have already prepared myself for the smaller cabin and bathroom!! I am sure we will still have a wonderful holiday on Azamara.

Hi Angie, we've just booked our second Azamara cruise for September, Excellent value considering the on-board product.

We'll book Seabourn again, when the price and itinerary are right.

• 3 months later...
You are misinformed - FACT.

The bar list contains about 10 pages of drinks, only one of those pages if for included drinks.

When you come onboard, you may be in for shock.

The Bar manager has had a lot of complaints from UK cruisers who have been misinformed.

do you happen to have a copy of those pages ??

thank you

Tim,

Do you have pictures or videos of the Journey since she was dry docked? I've searched and searched but found nothing. :confused: :confused:

The cruise lines website has many now on it, YouTube searches brought up several as well.

Tim,

Do you have pictures or videos of the Journey since she was dry docked? I've searched and searched but found nothing. :confused: :confused:

To be honest there really isn't a great deal of difference. Not that photos would do justice to at least. The pool loungers are different (a link to them: http://jimhornnews.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/pool-deck-azamara-quest.jpg), the balcony furniture has been changed (Azamara website video here: http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/club-azamara/video-room/europe-program/drop-everything) and there are cosmetic changes and improvements here and there, but not huge differences you'd go "wow" at.

Phil

do you happen to have a copy of those pages ??

thank you

All I have is a list, provided in our stateroom, of the included drinks, which is pretty much the same as on the 'web'. Some, not all, of these drinks are listed on the back page of the menu.

Sorry, but I can't work out how to get the image larger.

294993221_Azamaradrinks.jpg.67e6214acc4d6d1172a0f602139bfe22.jpg

All I have is a list, provided in our stateroom, of the included drinks, which is pretty much the same as on the 'web'. Some, not all, of these drinks are listed on the back page of the menu.

Sorry, but I can't work out how to get the image larger.

Thanks ... Just wanted to see if there would be a point of reference on board as some here have stated issues with ordering included items.

Im sure that early on in this program there was some confusion...by my voyage in may im sure the staff will be more comfortable as to whats included...or not... :)

Thanks ... Just wanted to see if there would be a point of reference on board as some here have stated issues with ordering included items.

Im sure that early on in this program there was some confusion...by my voyage in may im sure the staff will be more comfortable as to whats included...or not... :)

From what I've read, if they can make your cocktail of choice with "included" ingredients, they will.

From what I've read, if they can make your cocktail of choice with "included" ingredients, they will.

I had some difficulty with this on my cruise

I ordered a Mojito -- I "convinced" them to make it an included drink but not without some difficulty. Nothing in the ingredients is outside the included list.

Not sure this is clear to the bartending staff.

Edited by pacheco18