Luggage comments...

John1519

Last time MamaTwick and I cruised - a 10-day Med cruise with a week pre-cruise in Italy - we each took a small rolling suitcase and a fairly large backpack (the idea being we checked the suitcases, with our cruise clothing, at a train station while we toured Italy with just the backpacks). In addition, we each had a medium-sized purse, and I had my camera bag.

We both decided we each could do the same trip with the backpack alone.

The point of the exercise is to travel and experience new places, not to drag the totality of one's earthly possessions around the world. And yes, I do dress for dinner, and bring a relatively large camera to record it all.

Congratulations. But it sounds like you are talking about two bage each, so why so respond to my post concerning people who seem proud to cruise with just A carry-on?

Whether we are going for 1 week or 3 months we each bring 1 mid to large size suitcase. (Each suitcase has half of each of our clothes.) For longer trips my wardrobe consists of black, tan and red. Everything goes with everything else. If weather is going to be variable I bring pieces that will layer.

I refuse to drag my my belongings through an airport like a pack mule. The only thing that I bring on the plane with me is a shoulder bag for my tablet, camera, documents and husband's meds.

For me, the people trying to bring everything on the plane with them are an annoyance. They make going through security a painfully long ordeal and make boarding and exiting a plane equally dreadful.

Whether we are going for 1 week or 3 months we each bring 1 mid to large size suitcase. (Each suitcase has half of each of our clothes.) For longer trips my wardrobe consists of black, tan and red. Everything goes with everything else. If weather is going to be variable I bring pieces that will layer.

I refuse to drag my my belongings through an airport like a pack mule. The only thing that I bring on the plane with me is a shoulder bag for my tablet, camera, documents and husband's meds.

For me, the people trying to bring everything on the plane with them are an annoyance. They make going through security a painfully long ordeal and make boarding and exiting a plane equally dreadful.

Lol. I take what the airline allows. I'm not sure how putting that through security is any different than you putting your shoulder bag on the conveyor.

Just relax & try to have a good time.

Now I would agree that anything bigger is an annoyance & does create a big ordeal.

Lol. I take what the airline allows. I'm not sure how putting that through security is any different than you putting your shoulder bag on the conveyor.

Just relax & try to have a good time.

Now I would agree that anything bigger is an annoyance & does create a big ordeal.

It's not the people that limit themselves to what's allowed that are an issue for me. I've been behind people in security that take 3 or 4 bins to get their stuff through the scanner and then end up having things confiscated because certain items are not allowed. All the while those of us behind them get to wait. And wait.

Then they get to the gate. Either the flight crew notices they're over the limit and they we get to wait while claim checks are filled out or we get to wait while they try to stuff all of their belongings into spaces that are meant for 3 or 4 passengers. Then when others board after them, surprise there is no room for their things! Deplaning brings the same fun, just in reverse.

Granted, it's the airlines that created this issue by charging for checked bags but for $30 I will gladly opt out of the hassle.

We take a checked bag each and a backpack. My husband also has his C-pap machine. I wish we could just take carry on bags but I guess I am just too "fluffy" to have everything put in just a carry on. On our first trip I think we had 4 suitcases plus carry on's. We are really trying to get it down.

tigercat

I'm guessing 6 = 3 couples. I see no reason you couldn't pull it off with a carry-on each plus your personal bag. you will be much happier.

Nope. 2 adults, 2 adult children, 10 and 11 year old

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

It's not the people that limit themselves to what's allowed that are an issue for me. I've been behind people in security that take 3 or 4 bins to get their stuff through the scanner and then end up having things confiscated because certain items are not allowed. All the while those of us behind them get to wait. And wait.

Then they get to the gate. Either the flight crew notices they're over the limit and they we get to wait while claim checks are filled out or we get to wait while they try to stuff all of their belongings into spaces that are meant for 3 or 4 passengers. Then when others board after them, surprise there is no room for their things! Deplaning brings the same fun, just in reverse.

Granted, it's the airlines that created this issue by charging for checked bags but for $30 I will gladly opt out of the hassle.

Sounds like you need to apply for Global Entry so that you have a chance for the TSA PreCheck aisle and avoid all those people.

We generally do 10, 12, 14, 16 day cruises... I plan for a weeks worth and repeat every thing.

We pack two carryon's (1 each) with our formal wear and things we don't want to lose, i.e., meds, jewelry, cameras, etc.

Generally have 1 large suitecase up to 50 lbs each for everything else. We don't pack light... sometimes we are over weight and pay the difference.

While this sounds like a lot... we use to have suitecases up to 70 lbs, so we have reduced what we carry a lot... years ago we have at least 3 large suitecases when luggage limits were more liberal.

When we got to Europe we take gifts as well for family.

We take 1 large (29") suitcase and one folding wardrobe between us, a carry-on each and I have a backpack with travel docs, I-pad, Kindle and alike. With the free laundry we enjoy on Princess we can exist very comfortably for 3 weeks.

Nope. 2 adults, 2 adult children, 10 and 11 year old

if you are flying I would have the 4 adults each have a 21" and check it and a soft carry on for electronic's, etc. I would have the 2 young ones share a 21" bag and check it. They could both have a small backpack as carry-on with whatever keeps them busy kind of stuff. depending on the time of year you are going you are not going to freeze in Alaska. It's 70 and sunny right now. Low overnight is 56. If you're driving to port take whatever everyone is comfortable hauling.

if you are flying I would have the 4 adults each have a 21" and check it and a soft carry on for electronic's, etc. I would have the 2 young ones share a 21" bag and check it.

My only problem is I am cheap, or let's call it thrifty. So checking 6 bags would be $120 each way. That's like a 2 massages for me. I kinda have priorities. We are paking tomorrow, leaving Thursday. I will let everyone know how it goes.

My only problem is I am cheap, or let's call it thrifty. So checking 6 bags would be $120 each way. That's like a 2 massages for me. I kinda have priorities. We are paking tomorrow, leaving Thursday. I will let everyone know how it goes.

huh? what airline are you flying that you don't get at least one checked bag per person?

technically a 21"er can be carried on.. (depending on which aircraft or maybe be gate checked)

That's why we love cruising in Europe, one free checked bag per person up to 50 lbs, so we each can check the 48 lbs bag and bring a small day bag on the plane. We have the large suitcases that have 4 spinning wheels on the bottom that are super easy to push around the airport. We are a family of 4 with two teenagers with us and can mange these bags fine.

When flying domestically, we bring one of the large bags that costs dollars to check ( we max this one out) and then bring 3 or 4 of the smaller (free) carry ons. The one large checked bag has the evening wear/bulky shoes/liquids/power cords/snorkles and some assorted clothes. Then we each bring a carryon roller bag with swim suits and shorts.

Our family likes to dress up on formal nights and take lots of pictures in different outfits. We are also runners and hikers, and get muddy and dirty a lot - so need lot of clean clothes. Also my son wears size 13 shoes - one pair of which take up a lot of room.

If we have to pay to check a bag, we get the maximum weight out of that bag, for sure. No reason to spend 25 or 30 dollars to check 25 lbs when you can check 40 lbs for the same money. We learned this fast!! Always check your airline's website ahead of time and max out your weight allowance!!

First cruise round med. flew ryanair with one hand luggage each.

Last cruise took suitcase with 2 hand luggage. Really did not need suitcase.

Don't understand the mentality of bring the house on holiday. Dragging the suitcase around before and after the cruise was a "drag".

Prefer travelling with just hand luggage. Not a badge of honour but travel so much that I can't be bothered to carry too much.

Ryanair charge £50-100 per checked bag. That's another flight for another trip.

First cruise round med. flew ryanair with one hand luggage each.

Last cruise took suitcase with 2 hand luggage. Really did not need suitcase.

Don't understand the mentality of bring the house on holiday. Dragging the suitcase around before and after the cruise was a "drag".

Prefer travelling with just hand luggage. Not a badge of honour but travel so much that I can't be bothered to carry too much.

Ryanair charge £50-100 per checked bag. That's another flight for another trip.

Yeah......nice try. Anyone who thinks taking a suitcase on a trip is "dragging" a "house" with you is using carry-on only as a badge of honour. If you didn't take some pride in it, you wouldn't be denigrating those who choose to travel with more clothes (or shoes, or toiletries) than you do.

That is the difference. I choose not to take a suitcase and am not denigrating anyone. Whereas you and the others seems to want to denigrate the people who take hand luggage alone.

It is a symptom of elitism. I have more suitcases so I am better than anyone else. I don't care if you have no/1/2/4 suitcases. I prefer to take hand luggage.

End of story. If you wish to denigrate others that is your problem not mine. I am more than comfortable in my skin to care.

Let's take it easy. No need to get all up in a lather about this.

We all started out trying to help the OP with packing. Then, someone suggested that people who do just carryons sacrifice vacation fun for doing laundry, not being able to take certain "necessities", and growing increasingly grubby during the vacation. It just rankled certain people (including myself) that the implication was that we will sacrifice stuff to show how little we can take on vacation.

Everyone has their way of traveling. No one is explicitly right nor wrong. Some people build enough in to their vacation budget to account for paying for extra bags, the taxi to port them and their luggage, etc. If driving to port, you can take whatever you want. Some people have status on airlines such that they get that 2-3 bags free (and sometimes up to 70 lbs each!!). Some people have a stricter budget and what luggage they take has to figure in to that. Some people are road warriors and used to packing light for travel and don't want to wait at the baggage carousel. Some people travel on more than just the ship on their vacation and need to be able to comfortably handle all their luggage. Some of us have very small cars that restrict our luggage from the get go.

Me - I'm the 1 bag plus a daypack solo traveling person. The 1 bag can be one of my 22" bags, or my 24" bag. If I'm flying out of the country (except Canada), I'll most likely check the bag because the TSA does not like my Clear Care contact solution and 9 times out of 10, forces me to "voluntarily surrender" it, even though it is a medically acceptable item. I've been told it's because it has a high concentration of peroxide in it, which supposedly I can use to make a bomb onboard :rolleyes: If I can make do with one of the new solutions (I'm still getting used to them), then I can carry on my bag. I add pre/post stuff to my trips, which usually means I'm taking a train or walking up stairs to an apartment. This means I'm going to travel light. Adding an additional few minutes each night to my bathroom routine to wash out some things is not a big deal to me. The clothes I choose to travel with are quick drying for the most part. Some may take a full day - not a big deal, since I'm not wearing it that day. I don't get grubby as the days go by. I've gotten into a few truly fine dining establishments at the end of my trips, where dressing up is a requirement, not the faux fine dining you find on a ship.

We all travel how we want. When we get a newbie here, we all want to give the newbie the benefit of our travel experience. Let's not get into a match about who packs right...

It just seems that this forum is full of people who feel their way is the only way and everyone else is wrong or worse!

It just shocks me that etiquette and civility goes out of the window just because someone is online. Just wish people would talk to others as if they were across a table from them.

Why on earth would you need 2-4 suitcases anyway? If that is not taking the house with you what is?

Taking the house would be moving......it takes a van, not a suitcase. Get over yourself......yours is not the only or best way to travel for someone else. Implying someone is "taking the house" when they travel with more than what you like is kinda denigrating, as is the implication that they have so much stuff it can only be dragged around.

Archived