One month out from my first ever cruise and I am starting to panic

POF

I've done a lot of researched, its all paid for and I have my passports ready. But I feel really anxious about the cruise. So can you help me calm down and answer a couple of questions .... AND YES these are very very redundant.... but I would appreciate some input.

Its me - I am an overplanner and a cruise is new - so I can't or won;t know everything. ( 49 yrs old )

DH ( 49 ) - easy going, never cruised

DS's - 14 and 15 - never cruised typical teens.

We have 2 balcony staterooms, midship on deck 8.

1) Motion Sickness - I get sick on some rides at amusement parks ( but not all of them - for eample - I can ride anything at Disney and feel OK ) . I can read in the car. I did get really sick once on a small sailboat. Patch is not an option for me. I plan to take Bonine with me and maybe the wrist bracelets. Any other hints ?

2) Dresscode - dinners: Will Capri length slacks be OK ? Is a sleeveless shell OK ? Is it OK to change back into shorts after dinner ? I read somewhere on the web ( so you know its true LOL ) that shorts were not allowed in the public venues in the evenings. Is that true ?

3) Are the pools open for swimming at night - I love to swim at night.

4) If I self disembark - will I be able to meet up with my car service by 9:30 ? ( Port Canaveral ). How does self embark work - can you just go when you are ready ? Do you have to go at a set time ?

5) Seriously can not figure out what I should do with the verizon phones to avoid lots of charges - what have you done that was successful.

Thanks - I actually feel better getting this all out there - it really isn't such a big deal .. But would love your input. Thanks

1. For motion sickness, I've been prone to it in past cruises. I find that the wrist bands worked well in my case and so does the Bonine. Other things that can help out are ginger ale, green apples, dried toast in the morning. Depending on what ship you are on, the motion may be very mild. We were on the Allure last month and did not even put on my wrist bands once. That ship is extremely smooth.

2. For capri's, my wife wore them in the dining room and did not have any issues, same with a sleeveless shell in her case. As for me, I was turned away from the MDR for having no sleeves on my shirt. Not a big issue. As for shorts, we usually end up changing into shorts after dinner. We have gone to see the shows and other activities onboard. Has never been an issue for us.

3. As for the swimming pools, I've found cruises where the pools are closed early and other's they close later. Just take a look at your daily Cruise Compass and it will give you all the info you need.

4. I have never used the self-embark option, but from what I have seen, it's usually fairly early in the morning. Perhaps someone else can provide better info.

5. Sorry, can't help you out with this question.

Just remember to have fun, cruising is a great way to travel.

Sly

I've done a lot of researched, its all paid for and I have my passports ready. But I feel really anxious about the cruise. So can you help me calm down and answer a couple of questions .... AND YES these are very very redundant.... but I would appreciate some input.

Its me - I am an overplanner and a cruise is new - so I can't or won;t know everything. ( 49 yrs old )

1) Motion Sickness - I get sick on some rides at amusement parks ( but not all of them - for eample - I can ride anything at Disney and feel OK ) . I can read in the car. I did get really sick once on a small sailboat. Patch is not an option for me. I plan to take Bonine with me and maybe the wrist bracelets. Any other hints ? Getting your rooms midships was a good move. I don't suffer from motion sickness but I have heard ginger is also a good remedy.

2) Dresscode - dinners: Will Capri length slacks be OK ? Is a sleeveless shell OK ? Is it OK to change back into shorts after dinner ? I read somewhere on the web ( so you know its true LOL ) that shorts were not allowed in the public venues in the evenings. Is that true ? Only for evening meals. Shorts are OK outside the main dining rooms.

3) Are the pools open for swimming at night - I love to swim at night. On the Liberty, they closed around 10PM (transatlantic) although the staff would wait to begin cleaning until they were empty to close them. We have been in the cantelevered hot tubs until very late at night and no one said anything except a nice greeting. I do think that they cover the pools once they are closed.

4) If I self disembark - will I be able to meet up with my car service by 9:30 ? ( Port Canaveral ). How does self embark work - can you just go when you are ready ? Do you have to go at a set time ? I've never done this but CW says yes, you should be OK.

5) Seriously can not figure out what I should do with the verizon phones to avoid lots of charges - what have you done that was successful. We power down completely and only use them in ports, off the ship, to avoid the high ship charges. Of course you will incur the inter=national rates depending on where you are.

Thanks - I actually feel better getting this all out there - it really isn't such a big deal .. But would love your input. Thanks

On my first cruise I wasn't so much a wreck, but was very apprehensive about the cruise. within moments of boarding the ship, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.:p What ship are you on?

I can't answer all of your questions, but here's a start -

1) Motion Sickness - Try crystallized candied ginger. You can find in in the spice aisle.

2) Dresscode - dinners: Will Capri length slacks be OK ? Is a sleeveless shell OK ? Is it OK to change back into shorts after dinner ? Yes, Yes, Yes. I won't get into the endless debate about formal night in the dining rooms. What you describe is acceptable for all other nights, by anyone's standards.

3) Are the pools open for swimming at night - Yes, they close at some time, but they are open at least until 11 pm.

4) If I self disembark - will I be able to meet up with my car service by 9:30 ? ( Port Canaveral ). How does self embark work - can you just go when you are ready ? More information needed, like ship, dock time, etc. Generally, you can go when you are ready.

5) Seriously can not figure out what I should do with the verizon phones to avoid lots of charges - what have you done that was successful. Turn them off!!

I get motion sickness on planes, amusement park rides...but not on cruise ships. You feel a rumble under your feet but unless in the middle of a storm you won't feel a thing. I tend to not look out at the water which helps:)

I wear capris to dinner or a little skirt all nights except formal nights. My husband always changes after dinner for the shows, etc...It is your vacation-where what you are comfortable in.sleeveless for women is fine...not for men. We have never self disembarked...We use our phones on the first day until we sail away..then put them away. We use white boards on the doors and check in with our teens for lunch and dinner.

Hi POF. I hate to say it but I think you are getting worked up for nothing. If you have everything planned down to your return shuttle, trust me, you will be fine. I've only cruised Carnival so I can't answer all your questions but I will try to help with a couple of them. On Carnival disembarking is announced by area or group. I believe self assist is one of the first calls so a 9:30 am shuttle shouldn't be an issue. That's assuming you arrive at port on time. I don't normally suffer from sickness on cruise ships but my wife does. We use Dramamine. Seems to work. I've also heard good things about Bonine. I can assure you if anyone was going to get sick it would be me. I grew up fishing and water skiing. Got sick regularly. It took my wife 11 years of marriage to convince me to cruise. Now I'm hooked. Haven't been sick once and we've had some pretty rough waters. I've read a few posts where people say to start taking your motion medications a few days prior to cruising. Gets working before you are on the ship.

Dress code is not something I can help you with. I hope what I've said helps. Just remember, relax, enjoy and don't sweat it. I'm sure you and your family will come home wanting more and more cruises.

Enjoy your vacation

Heimey

1) Motion Sickness - I get sick on some rides at amusement parks ( but not all of them - for eample - I can ride anything at Disney and feel OK ) . I can read in the car. I did get really sick once on a small sailboat. Patch is not an option for me. I plan to take Bonine with me and maybe the wrist bracelets. Any other hints ? I take Bonine. I have to take it when I fly, so I usually take it the first couple of days on the ship. Never had a problem without it (except one night of bad weather). If it makes you drowsy, make sure you have the 24-hr kind and take it when you go to bed.

2) Dresscode - dinners: Will Capri length slacks be OK ? Is a sleeveless shell OK ? Is it OK to change back into shorts after dinner ? I read somewhere on the web ( so you know its true LOL ) that shorts were not allowed in the public venues in the evenings. Is that true ? Capris and sleeveless are fine for dinner, but you might want a wrap of some kind. Sometimes the dining room is cold. I sometimes changed after dinner. If there was a rule, I broke it :D

3) Are the pools open for swimming at night - I love to swim at night. Not sure. I think there might be one open later, but might depend on the ship.

4) If I self disembark - will I be able to meet up with my car service by 9:30 ? ( Port Canaveral ). How does self embark work - can you just go when you are ready ? Do you have to go at a set time ? Self disembarkers usually get off first. I've never done it, but should starting getting off around 6:30 or so, if the ship gets cleared on time.

5) Seriously can not figure out what I should do with the verizon phones to avoid lots of charges - what have you done that was successful. We didn't use our phones once we left port. We did use them to call home when we were in a US territory. Otherwise, they were off. You can put in airplane mode if you want to use camera, music, etc.

Relax, and have fun!

1) Motion Sickness - I get sick on some rides at amusement parks ( but not all of them - for eample - I can ride anything at Disney and feel OK ) . I can read in the car. I did get really sick once on a small sailboat. Patch is not an option for me. I plan to take Bonine with me and maybe the wrist bracelets. Any other hints ?

A Bonine every night before bed works for me. You won't get nearly the motion as you did on the sailboat.

2) Dresscode - dinners: Will Capri length slacks be OK ? Is a sleeveless shell OK ? Is it OK to change back into shorts after dinner ? I read somewhere on the web ( so you know its true LOL ) that shorts were not allowed in the public venues in the evenings. Is that true ?

Capris are fine in the MDR (you may want to dress up more on formal night). I've never had any problems with shorts anywhere else at any time.

I believe at least one pool is always open at night - maybe someone else can confirm?

4) If I self disembark - will I be able to meet up with my car service by 9:30 ? ( Port Canaveral ). How does self embark work - can you just go when you are ready ? Do you have to go at a set time ?

You should have no problem at PC if you self disembark.

5) Seriously can not figure out what I should do with the verizon phones to avoid lots of charges - what have you done that was successful.

I have Verizon - call them and they will explain exactly what you have to do.

RELAX - you will have a wonderful time!

[1) Bonine this is best Take it at night

Usually one of the pools is open.

usually you let your cabin attendant know that you are going to self debark, so you will not put your luggage out in the hall the last night. You will carry it off yourself. Most of the time self debarkation is around 7:30 to 8 AM. You can go off ship a bit later if you dont want to stand around outside in the heat waiting for your ride.

5) Seriously can not figure out what I should do with the verizon phones to avoid lots of charges - what have you do

Turn it off. Check the price of texts. Get email when you are in port.

I get HORRIBLE motion sickness - boats, cars, planes. I take Walmart's Equate motion sickness pills, one when I'm having breakfast and one when I'm having dinner and I do absolutely fine. (That is the ONLY thing I buy from Walmart since it's the only thing I've found that works the best.) And our cabin is always on the 7th or 8th deck so we get lots of motion from the ship!

We have T-Mobile phones and we will either turn off the automatic data or pay the $ (I think it's $15) and get the international plan on our phones that way we won't have any extra charges.

Once you step foot on the ship, you'll realize all your worry was for nothing. Cruising is a great way to see the world!

1- I took Bonine with me, but it made me so tired I ended up going to directly to bed after dinner the first 2 nights, actually I feel asleep in the theater during a show on the first night and could NOT wake up, husband had to drag me to the room when the show was over and put me to bed with clothes, make-up & jewelery all still on. It was seriously that bad for me, it's supposed to be non-drowsy too, but for me it wasn't. Don't know of anything else to replace it with.

5- Turn your data off on your cell so you can still use your phone to snap pictures and not have to worry about getting hit with charges.

** Not sure of your ports, but on St. Thomas US rates apply, you can use texting, calls, facebook, etc, same rates as US, HOWEVER, I made the mistake of doing this while we were waiting in line to disembark from the ship and instead of it all being free/covered in my plan, I got hit with RCL's charges, so wait until you get off of the ship. I was sending pictures to my children while we waited and checking up on them, they were with family, not on the cruise with us, $60 down the drain :(

re 1) My experience has been that, except when there is a severe storm, or someone has an underlying medical problem, seasickness is not much of an issue. We were on Explorer in 60+ mile per hour winds last month, and a lot of people were seasick. But that is an very unusual situation - I've taken @ 30 cruises (which makes me still a newbie on this board :)) and this is the second time I've hit a bad storm. Those in our party who had taken seasick medicine before getting on the ship (the winds started the first night) were fine; my DH and I were fine without doing anything special. One member of our party was, sadly, quite ill, but recovered within 24 hours by using bonine and wristbands, and by eating green apples (recommended by crew members). The three and five year olds were fine.

There are two opposing opinions about the relationship between drinking and seasickness. One is that drinking would make it worse. The other is that, if you've had enough to drink, you wouldn't know (nor care) if the ship or the alcohol is making you go from side to side as you walk down the hallway.

re 2) the dinner dress code is probably much more relaxed than you think. There is some variation in the application of rules among the different ships, but most of the time you can wear anything into the MDR (Main Dining Room) except swimsuits (even with coverups), shorts and tank tops. Many of your fellow cruisers would appreciate it if you put a little effort into dressing up on formal night, but my DH has worn jeans. You can always have dinner in the Windjammer where, while you ought not show up in bathing attire, almost anything else is acceptable.

I've worn shorts everywhere on the ship except the MDR at any time of day or night with no problem. Sleeveless tops are welcome everywhere, although if you are in Studio B (where the ice skating rink is), you'll probably be a little chilly.

re 3) the pools are almost always open at night (unless there is a bad storm). Going into the hot tub before bed is a lovely way to wind down at the end of the day. I rarely see people swimming in the pools at night, but as far as I know, they are permitted to do so.

re 4) in Europe, the ship staff was very fussy about those of us carrying our luggage off the ship. We had to do it at a specific time, pretty early in the debarkation process. On most of my other cruises, however, it seemed that any time after the ship had been cleared was an okay time for self-carry. I've tried to leave at close to the specified time, but have not always made it, and have never had a problem.

It is likely that you can make a 930 pick up if you are returning to Florida from the Bahamas or Caribbean, but it is NOT a sure thing. Delays do happen. When I am using a car service, I generally call them when I get off the ship and have an idea of how long the customs' line is. That does mean that I usually have to wait for the car, but not for that long, and I don't have to pay the meter for that time as I would were the car to be waiting for me.

re 5) I just turn off my phone when the ship leaves the harbor. That's part of being on vacation (I tell the office that there is no cellphone reception at sea.) But for those who can't do that, I believe that you can get an international data plan with Verizon for a limited period of time. I don't know about telephone calls and texts. I think that other people on this board will probably have answers on this item.

Stop worrying. Relax. Enjoy yourself.

About swimming at night...

On every Royal Caribbean ship I've been on they have always kept 1 pool open 24 hours per day (except my Freedom of the Seas cruise when all outside decks were closed for 2 days due to Hurricane Sandy). They will usually close and net all pools except one at a certain late hour. The pool that is open might change from night to night. Sometimes the main pool will remain open. Sometimes the Solarium pool will be open.

Is your phone also your "camera" or "e-reader"? If so, just put it in Airplane Mode. That will turn off the wireless radios that are used for phone calls and data and you can't incur any charges.

If you don't need it to function as your camera or e-reader, just put it in Airplane Mode, turn the power off, and put it in your safe.

You have arleady received some great advice, but here's my own two cents:

-----> Bonine, bracelets, and look out at the horizon from your deck (stay out doors). My DW and I usually do not get sea sick (I did get a little queezy during one cruise years ago and the Bonine did the trick). The only Orlando ride we (both) ever got sick on was the Antartic Adventure ride in SeaWorld.

-----> No shorts in the Main Dining Room (MDR) at dinner and some alternate venues. For most other places around the ship, shorts are okay. I have seen my DW and DDs in different lenght capris, so you will have to use your best judement, and you will probably be correct. Please note, there are Formal and Smart Casual nights as well - although there is debate as to what is the proper dress, go to the RCI website and see the dress code for each of these evenings for eating in the MDR. There are plenty of threads on Cruise Critic (CC) where everyone will give their opinions on to what the proper dress code is.

-----> There should be at least one pool that is open at 24/7 at some place on the ship (except for muster drill) - but it may be dependent upon weather.

-----> I am going to be doing this for the first time on my next cruise.

-----> We have turned off the phone and used a pre-paid card while in the ports. We have verizon, and when in Mexico a few years ago, my wife had to set up an international short-term plan -- call Verizon -- you have to enter a number into your phone before calling any US number (she could call (with a higher charge) to the US - which we did b/c our daughter was home with grandma & grandpa).

Relax, there is nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your vacation,

Travel R

If I self disembark - will I be able to meet up with my car service by 9:30 ? ( Port Canaveral ). How does self embark work - can you just go when you are ready ? Do you have to go at a set time ?

We have disembarked at PC many times. As our neighbor picks us up we try to be last off the ship. 9:30 would be about the latest we have ever gotten off including retrieving our luggage. You can get off whenever you are ready after they clear the ship for debarkation.

If you decide to check your bags you can leave anytime after that luggage number is called. No real need to self disembark with your pick up time being 9:30. Have a great cruise!!!!

I wanted to comment on motion sickness, as it hits me hard on every single cruise and on the plane as well. On my first cruise I was so sick as soon as we left port that I couldn't move from the bed. It was awful. My husband went for help and came back with little packets of Meclizine. I took one of those and it was smooth sailing after that, as long as I had my Meclizine. I believe it is the main ingredient in Bonine, but I always stick with just Meclizine because it never causes me drowsiness and I am so sensitive to anything that causes drowsiness. I always go to walgreens or CVS and ask at the pharmacy. They either have it behind the counter or show me where it is on the shelves.

You really won't need to use your phone....so turn it off until you get back to your home port, or if you're in a US affiliated port, like St. Thomas or San Juan. For one week, you CAN be "out of touch"! In the event of a true emergency, folks at home will find you!!!!

We're just off the May 19th sailing of FOS. We turned off our phones only to be awakened at night by the bing-bing-bing of a text or two coming in. Our son-in-law told us to put the phone in airplane mode and that would fix that problem. The message read " FreeVZW MSG: Your global data costs up to $20.48 per 1MB. To purchase 100 MB at $25/mo reply "Yes". Each additional 100MB is $25"

I had an international package (no charge unless used) added to my plan and was told I had to pay for texts in St. Thomas. Check your plan and see what they offer for you.

We were off the ship early and back at our hotel by 9:00. We were in group 4. Ask for early disembarking.

Enjoy your cruise. If you forget something, chances are you can buy it on ship (or at the first port). You will love your balcony. We have seen schools of flying fish off of the balcony in the Atlantic. You may be lucky enough to see them. Also, if you go up to the Windjammer early in the morning, grab some coffee/tea and something light to eat out on the balcony - enjoy the early morning sunrise/calm. (We like the breakfast in the main dining room. We tend to overeat if we go up to the windjammer.)

My 29 year old daughter gets sea sick. She has tried a variety of things. She finds she feels best sometimes just sitting on the balcony breathing in the fresh sea air. She is also a Diamond level in the loyalty program, so this has not stopped her from sailing. Again, don't worry, it will be great - enjoy!!:D

1. In addition to Bonine, I also took ginger pills with us. I started the Bonine the night before we got on the ship and then each night after for about 3 nights. After having no problems I stopped taking it and still had no problems. The ginger will also help settle a stomach on an as needed basis if you start to feel queasy during the day. They can be found on OTC with the vitamins.

2. For ladies, capris and sleeveless tops will be fine. The men need to have long pants and a button down or polo style shirt should be fine. You might want to "kick it up a notch" for formal night if you plan to go to the dining room that night. It is fine to change back into shorts for the shows or other activities after dinner. Whatever works best for you. We had the later dining time so we usually dressed for dinner, went to the show in the theater and then to the dining room.

3. I remember at least one pool and hot tub being open until at least midnight or later. Great time to swim in the evenings.

4. We self-disembarked on the Freedom at Port Canaveral and were called to debark before 7:00. We were through customs by 7:30. Except for the unlikely event of the ship being delayed, you will not have a problem.

5. Like many others we simply turned our phone off while on the ship. We made one or two phone calls in port with a fee of .99 to 1.99 a minute with Verizon.

It sounds like you have everything covered. I just started cruising last year and had many of the same concerns. It really is a great vacation and you sound prepared. Have a great trip!

You really won't need to use your phone....so turn it off until you get back to your home port, or if you're in a US affiliated port, like St. Thomas or San Juan. For one week, you CAN be "out of touch"! In the event of a true emergency, folks at home will find you!!!!

Do you know the OP? How do you know if anyone else needs to use his/her phone or can be "out of touch"?

Archived