Making Luggage Waterproof

harryw

I recently had the misfortune of rolling my high quality duffel on wheels in the rain, and water seeped in through the zipper seams. I can't find waterproof inner liners online. One suggestion is to pack belongings in a large trash bag and place in luggage. Any other suggestions?

Harry

I remember in the good old days you could buy stuff to put on tent seams that would make that area less prone to leaks

The have waterproof sprays for shoes/boot maybe try that on the zippers

Failing that I have used the large zip lock bags, pack all my stuff in it then squish out the air & put the whole thing in the suitcase

Good luck

Plastic dry cleaner bags or those packing cubes. I also put a lot of things in the large zip freezer bags.

My packing cubes (eBags, Eagle Creek) have mesh so they are not even water resistant.

Ziplock-style bags and SpaceBags are water proof. So would be Dry Bags.

These would keep the contents dry but the bag/zipper would still be a weak point.

Probably need some sort of Rain Cover.

Found pack covers & liners on REI.com.

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500001_Backpacks&cat=4500060&cat=4500602&hist=cat%2C4500001_Backpacks%3ABackpacks%5Ecat%2C4500060%3APack+Accessories%5Ecat%2C4500602%3APack+Rain+Covers

There's a new REI in Jersey not too far from Manhattan.

In some European airports I have seen stations that will plastic wrap your luggage.

You could also spray your entire bag with a can of waterproofing spray like what you use for shoes. It likely won't stop all the zipper seepage but it would probably help. Also, if you step off the plane and realize you'll have to walk a long way in the rain, you could always pull out your handy roll of emergency duct tape and tape around the entire bag over the zipper. Duct tape solves all problems :-)

Tent seam sealer is available at all the usual big box stores, especially those with large camping supply sections. This will work fabulously if the leak is at a seam. If I am understanding correctly, the leak is thought to have been at the zipper. A flap of fabric is usually placed to prevent this sort of thing on backpacks. You may be able to buy a piece of appropriately colored fabric at a fabric store. If not already waterproof, coat it with some of the seam sealer. Carefully stitch it to lay over the zip when your bag is fully zipped. I've had good luck with this process on various duffel bags in the past.

WalMart sells a product called Camp Dry ..... I found it both in the shoe dept and the camping dept. It comes in a spray can, and my DD and I used it to keep moisture/rain from seeping into our shoes when on a cruise in AK during rainy season. Sprayed on two coats, and we had no problems. It did not alter the appearance of our shoes in any way.

When I pack, I always lay one or two dry cleaner bags along the bottom and up the sides of duffle bag/suitcase. I pack and then lay dry cleaner bags across top and down the sides. I don't think that makes the bag totally water proof but it likely will help a lot keeping our things dry if the suitcase is stacked on a runway in the rain or at cruise ship dock in luggage crate waiting to be loaded.

I pack in Ziploc Big Bags (available in several sizes), keeping different types of items in separate ziplocs for easy access (tops in one, pants in another...).

Ziploc_big_bags_lrg.jpg

Ziploc_big_bags_xl.jpg

This works best...........seals shut.

.dry cleaner bags help w/ wrinkles..but don't stop water.

I've been packing everything in zip lock bags ever since my luggage got soaked on the tarmac when changing flights at Heathrow years ago. A side benefit is that it makes it easier to organize as well.

I also pack any clothing in my carry on in zip lock bags, also as a result of an "incident" when a TSA agent pulled his arm out of my bag after searching it and some of my underwear went flying.

I pack in Ziploc Big Bags (available in several sizes), keeping different types of items in separate ziplocs for easy access (tops in one, pants in another...).

Ziploc_big_bags_lrg.jpg

Ziploc_big_bags_xl.jpg

I love using these.. Inexpensive and handy..& just as good or if not better than the space saving air bags

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I love using these.. Inexpensive and handy..& just as good or if not better than the space saving air bags

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Where do you buy those really large bags?

Just saw them in the plastic bin aisle at Lowes.

Oh, Thank You........

We have Lowe's near us and I'll look there as well as Target. :)

The small ones serve a purpose but I would find those really large ones very useful. :)

Archived