Ocean and Pacific Princess

antsp

I would not be surprised if the two ships were sold after the Panama Canal is widened. They can then take the Island and Coral to do the Exotic cruises and use other, larger ships for the Canal runs. The problem will be that Oceana and Azamara will probably be selling too.

I would not be surprised if the two ships were sold after the Panama Canal is widened. They can then take the Island and Coral to do the Exotic cruises and use other, larger ships for the Canal runs. The problem will be that Oceana and Azamara will probably be selling too.

I could see that happening with all the R ships.

I could see that happening with all the R ships.

Hmm ... who would buy them? Wanna pool some funds? Then you could literally sail in your personal Owner's Suite. NOT!!!

I would not be surprised if the two ships were sold after the Panama Canal is widened. They can then take the Island and Coral to do the Exotic cruises and use other, larger ships for the Canal runs.

Would not be the same. The Ocean and the Pacific can get into ports and closer to many towns than the Island and Coral can.

For example, The Ocean and Pacific can dock in downtown Singapore near the Bund.

Of course on the opposite end of the size spectrum, we are also seeing where the new Royal Princess cannot dock in downtown Stockholm, eliminating a great scenic sailing into and out of the city and forcing a bus ride from the ship to town.

Would not be the same. The Ocean and the Pacific can get into ports and closer to many towns than the Island and Coral can.

For example, The Ocean and Pacific can dock in downtown Singapore near the Bund.

Of course on the opposite end of the size spectrum, we are also seeing where the new Royal Princess cannot dock in downtown Stockholm, eliminating a great scenic sailing into and out of the city and forcing a bus ride from the ship to town.

We have been to quite a few beautiful ports on the Ocean. In many case, larger ships would have been far from the city. So I realize it will not be the same.

Barcelona … we were in port at the World Trade Center, a stone's throw from the Columbus statue on the Ocean a couple months ago. There was one other ship with us, and four big cruise ship out at the cruise port, where you have to take a shuttle bus from.

My FCC person on the Ocean said that it was always the rumor that the small ships would be sold, but never the case.

I think you mean Shanghai, but the point is still very valid.

I have promised my wife that our future cruises will be on the little girls, so I'm hoping this is strictly a rumor and not a fact.

The President of Azamara keeps talking about wanting to expand beyond a two-ship line, but the parent company isn't going to pony up big bucks for new designs when they aren't making money now. However if Princess and Oceania are trying to dump their R-ships, the price might be right for Azamara to pick up a couple and suddenly have four ships with vastly expanded itineraries.

To me, this is the best opportunity for Azamara -- as a premium line they can offer good enough food in the MDR that you don't miss having multiple specialty restaurants, and they can also charge the higher fares that these smaller/older ships necessitate.

Oceania in particular probably needs to dump their R-ships, because their new designs are so much nicer. They tried with the charter of Insignia to a German line, but it came back (like a bad penny?). If they build a third new ship, they really won't need the older ones.

Oceania in particular probably needs to dump their R-ships, because their new designs are so much nicer. They tried with the charter of Insignia to a German line, but it came back (like a bad penny?). If they build a third new ship, they really won't need the older ones.

I agree about the new ships being so much nicer. To be honest, those ships are our favorite! They are just beautiful done.

I do think we'd love Voyager of the Seas on Regent, but we've haven't sailed her yet.

I think you mean Shanghai, but the point is still very valid.

I have promised my wife that our future cruises will be on the little girls, so I'm hoping this is strictly a rumor and not a fact.

So, are we finally going to cruise with you in 2015?

So, are we finally going to cruise with you in 2015?

We wanted to do the Capetown to Dover cruise next year, but that didn't work out for a couple of reasons. We're still hoping for 2015. By the way we were in the same place on the same day earlier this year. We both arrived in LAX on the same day in April. You were getting on a cruise, we were returning from one, so we are inching closer. ;)

We wanted to do the Capetown to Dover cruise next year, but that didn't work out for a couple of reasons. We're still hoping for 2015. By the way we were in the same place on the same day earlier this year. We both arrived in LAX on the same day in April. You were getting on a cruise, we were returning from one, so we are inching closer. ;)

Keep inching ;)

• 2 weeks later...
If the price is right, Princess will sell her R class ships. They do not generate as much profit as the larger ships. It's always the bottom line!!!

I don't think princess will sell her small ships, because it will loose all their passengers who pay higher per diem.

They just need to take more advantage of their size, visiting ports of call, where the big ships can't go, and staying overnight more, like Azamara.

Oceania are renovating their R class ships (news).

I've taken both ships and intend to keep doing so in future.

The up side is nothing is ever crowded, or far away, and if you are ashore, where you are is probably not flooded by cruise passengers unless a megaship's in port with you (or four, as happened to us in Barcelona). Tendering is not a huge hassle, and neither is em/debarkation.

The downside is limited dining options, and fewer activities, that can make a long stretch at sea (we had eight days my last sailing although we did get into Port Said the afternoon of Day Eight) a little bit dull.

I think we were on the Ocean Princess on the same cruise Singapore-Rome last april.We are booked for the PP next november in the med, and we think about 35 days jan 2014 FLL-to Sydney.The best cruising experience in 40 years.Never a dull moment on 7 days at sea.:)

• 2 weeks later...
and we think about 35 days jan 2014 FLL-to Sydney..:)

We are doing this cruise, and staying on for the next segment which ends in Tahiti, 51 days. We fell in love with the small ships last February when we did the 10 day island circuit cruise out of Tahiti on the Ocean Princess.

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think we were on the Ocean Princess on the same cruise Singapore-Rome last april.We are booked for the PP next november in the med, and we think about 35 days jan 2014 FLL-to Sydney.The best cruising experience in 40 years.Never a dull moment on 7 days at sea.:)

Yes, I am looking forward to the 35 day. I wish there were a couple of more calls, but it should still be an incredible experience. I've been working on tours, and there was a price drop on most cabins today (I check).

Haven't sailed the Ocean or Pacific Princess yet, but I would go in a heartbeat just to have the experience once. From all the reviews and comments I hear, the small ship feel is quite a treat. Pacific Princess is actually running 7-Day Alaska cruises in 2014 r/t from Vancouver, my home. I might just have to hop-on.

Archived