Working for RCI?

Thank you for your perspective. I know it won't be a vacation. Many older, and not so older, people cruise and they bring their medical issues along with them. With the passenger and crew population of the ships easily reaching the 8000 person mark I would imagine that there would actually be a lot of work to do. But somehow, I keep thinking that those sunrises out on the ocean might make it all worth while for a bit of time.

Yes, a nice breakfast in the Lido buffet is a nice way to start the day, and clinic is normally not until 10am or so. There are always some issues with people wanting prescriptions given for medication left at home, and some MD's looking for "professional courtesy" to avoid charges, but the work load isn't too bad, most times. Noro outbreaks can stretch a medical department quite a bit, and I've seen where the line has added extra medical staff for these.

It would probably be an interesting change from either a GP practice or a hospital situation.

A lot depends on what job the person has.

All cruise ship jobs are not created equal. Some are much more pleasant than others.

Some (such as officers and entertainers) get to dine in the same venues as the passengers, while others (such as stateroom attendants) do not.

I thought that the librarian on a HAL ship had the best job of anyone on any cruise ship.

If I ever got a job on a cruise ship, that is the job I would really like to have.

Most other cruise lines no longer have librarians.

On an RCI cruise to Hawaii, I was chatting with a young woman from a small village in Roumania who was having the time of her life working as a bartender on the ship.

She was getting to travel all over the world, meet interesting people from different countries and different walks of life, having experiences she never would have had if she had not been fortunate enough to get the job on the cruise ship.

She told me that she was making more money than she had ever earned back home, and with no expenses for room or board and no family obligations, it was all hers to spend however she wished.

It is easy for privileged cruise passengers from first-world countries to look down their noses at cruise ship jobs and working conditions, but there are multitudes in this world who would be delighted to have such jobs, even the most menial.

A lot depends on what job the person has.

All cruise ship jobs are not created equal. Some are much more pleasant than others.

Some (such as officers and entertainers) get to dine in the same venues as the passengers, while others (such as stateroom attendants) do not.

I thought that the librarian on a HAL ship had the best job of anyone on any cruise ship.

If I ever got a job on a cruise ship, that is the job I would really like to have.

Most other cruise lines no longer have librarians.

On an RCI cruise to Hawaii, I was chatting with a young woman from a small village in Roumania who was having the time of her life working as a bartender on the ship.

She was getting to travel all over the world, meet interesting people from different countries and different walks of life, having experiences she never would have had if she had not been fortunate enough to get the job on the cruise ship.

She told me that she was making more money than she had ever earned back home, and with no expenses for room or board and no family obligations, it was all hers to spend however she wished.

It is easy for privileged cruise passengers from first-world countries to look down their noses at cruise ship jobs and working conditions, but there are multitudes in this world who would be delighted to have such jobs, even the most menial.

Absolutely correct. What for us is a "slave wage", is really a middle class income to most international crew. That is why the crew continue to come back contract after contract. I had several engine ratings that were on their 3rd consecutive contract before returning to the Philippines. My response was to a US poster who was considering taking a cruise job. My advice to an Eastern European or Philippino crewmember would be completely different.

I have also read both of Brian's books and enjoyed them very much. Not only were they incredibly insightfull but a great story behind them.

I also enjoyed his 2 books, written in an easy, humourus but informative style!

I believe there is a 3rd in the pipe-line.

I don't personally know anyone who has worked on a ship, but Brian David Bruns did and he wrote a couple books about the experience. I've read them and as an avid cruiser, I find them very compelling.

It definitely changed my attitude toward the staff. Not that I was ever nasty or overly demanding, but I certainly have a new found understanding of the life they live on board.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=cruise+confidential&ugrp=2

I am currenly reading his book and like you it has certainly changed my attitude towards the staff.

Yes, a nice breakfast in the Lido buffet is a nice way to start the day, and clinic is normally not until 10am or so. There are always some issues with people wanting prescriptions given for medication left at home, and some MD's looking for "professional courtesy" to avoid charges, but the work load isn't too bad, most times. Noro outbreaks can stretch a medical department quite a bit, and I've seen where the line has added extra medical staff for these.

It would probably be an interesting change from either a GP practice or a hospital situation.

O.K....I'll bite....do they do the "professional courtesy" thing ever? never?

Just curious how that works. I doubt very much they "give away" any med unless they're some real cheap ones that have been around for ages and you're maybe giving them a dollar or two worth of meds

You happen to know what happened with the doc that bailed early??? Just curious how they handle that situation. (besides not getting rehired)

Just curious how that works. I doubt very much they "give away" any med unless they're some real cheap ones that have been around for ages and you're maybe giving them a dollar or two worth of meds

You happen to know what happened with the doc that bailed early??? Just curious how they handle that situation. (besides not getting rehired)

In reality, the MD's onboard won't generally make new prescriptions, and there are not really the "samples" laying around like a shoreside doctor's office. The one example I remember, was an MD who came to the Medical Center to ask the ship's MD to write a prescription for Zoloft, because she had "left it at home". She refused to name the pharmacy where she had the prescription "filled" so that the ship could get a copy and she could take it to a local pharmacy for filling. Kept ranting about "professional courtesy". Doc finally decided to risk the wrath of the Hotel Director in turning this person out and getting some bad comment cards. So I don't know for sure about the "professional courtesy" thing, but I'm sure that if honey was used rather than vinegar, it might happen.

The Doc did not bail early, he was terminated because he would not fulfill his job requirements. He did not feel that he needed to make "house calls" to guest cabins or to accident locations. Admittedly, he was a doctor who had given up his practice several years before, had gone into day trading, lost his shirt at that, and decided to resume medicine with a job at sea.

If someone quits before their contract is up, particularly in a senior position, there is a scramble to find a replacement somewhere in the fleet, and they may pull a 2nd MD off one ship to provide at least one MD for the ship that needs it. Deck and Engine officers are usually unionized, and therefore, cannot leave the ship until a replacement arrives to meet the minimum manning.

Wow......I love it.....thank you for the detailed reply. It's interesting that you have knowledge about the medical business and you were in the engine dept. I mean that seriously.....it's interesting how you know about something totally different.(obviously the medical people tell stories :D )

I find that interesting about how you mention the "wrath of the Hotel Director".....In the real world, a Dr wouldn't risk their license to do what they did (write a Rx for something that could come back and bite them) Apparently the pen is that powerful that the Dr would do that (not risking getting a negative comment)....You like to think that if that happened, all the doc would have to say is what you described (coudn't verify that the person was really on it is what I'm reading)

I wonder how many ships these days only have 1 doc? Probably the botique cruiselines have that, but I wouldn't think the mainstream ones would only have 1 doc......boy if they did only have 1, and that doc bailed for whatever reason, that would be a heck of a mess. I thought I had read somewhere that technically ships don't have to have a doctor, but I'm sure most cruise ships do. I've never been on a river cruise (in Europe or the U.S.) but I'd guess they don't have a doc being that close to shore all the time

Thanks again for all your insight

Brian David Bruns third book has been completed. I have been reading it for the past month or so. I love all of his books. They really provide an inside look at life on a cruise ship from an Americans point of view.

What is the third book called?

I thought about working for the ships as a nurse but after doing some research, the amount they get paid (despite having your food and board provided) is too small of a salary. And I can't imagine dealing with seasickness and the norovirus on a constant basis.

On carnival my son got sick,(an allergic reaction to something he ate) and I needed a few meds to treat him.. I had a nice talk with the nurse who got the doc and he gave me what I had requested (he did ask to see my license) and said no charge. Was not looking for anything free and offered to pay for the products. So i guess in the right circumstances they do give professional courtesy.

I ended up in the ship's hospital on an HAL cruise....bad asthma attacks, they started an IV and left it in for the duration of the cruise, I had to go back down there several times a day for treatments. The doctors were all on short term contracts, and they were all ER docs from the us. The nurses, as well, were short term and had to be ACLS certified. They all had full time land based jobs and served on the ships for the short term. They said that they did get time off in port, they rotated shifts. They were all happy with their times onboard and had done it several times. They even had their spouses aboard, and one of the doctors had her husband and her child aboard. They enjoyed the ship while she was working, and got to cruise for free, from what they told me.

Just a comment.l My DH worked as a waiter on a cruise ship/ocean liner in the '60's. It was an American company and the staff was unionized. Conditions were much worse for the staff. 16 to a room. No bars or recreation areas for the crew. Same food every night. He said it was the hardest job he's ever had but he enjoyed the travel.

Wow......I love it.....thank you for the detailed reply. It's interesting that you have knowledge about the medical business and you were in the engine dept. I mean that seriously.....it's interesting how you know about something totally different.(obviously the medical people tell stories :D )

I find that interesting about how you mention the "wrath of the Hotel Director".....In the real world, a Dr wouldn't risk their license to do what they did (write a Rx for something that could come back and bite them) Apparently the pen is that powerful that the Dr would do that (not risking getting a negative comment)....You like to think that if that happened, all the doc would have to say is what you described (coudn't verify that the person was really on it is what I'm reading)

I wonder how many ships these days only have 1 doc? Probably the botique cruiselines have that, but I wouldn't think the mainstream ones would only have 1 doc......boy if they did only have 1, and that doc bailed for whatever reason, that would be a heck of a mess. I thought I had read somewhere that technically ships don't have to have a doctor, but I'm sure most cruise ships do. I've never been on a river cruise (in Europe or the U.S.) but I'd guess they don't have a doc being that close to shore all the time

Thanks again for all your insight

Well, as Staff Chief Engineer, you are responsible primarily for all things outside the engine room (the First Engineer takes care of the Engine Room and reports to you), so you deal with all the other departments on a daily basis. So I and my repairmen were tasked with any repairs we could make to medical center equipment, including having the refrigeration engineer look at the two drawer morgue every couple of weeks. The hotel repairmen on cruise ships are really the Maytag repairmen of the sea.

What I meant with regards to the wrath of the HD, was that the MD basically blew the guest off, moderately rudely, rather than waste more time trying to smooth their feathers without actually having to write an RX. And yes, the ship's MD was not going to write an RX for an anti-depressant just because a guest says they need it!:p

The Norwegian Sky and smaller ships have one MD, unless there is a noro outbreak.

My philosophy, respect for any service staff that you encounter. Do they have bad days, of course. Do they formulate the policies and procedures they follow? Probably not. If they perform sub-par it's their training and it's not personal.

Remember your first job? I'll bet it was not glamorous. I started sweeping floors and cleaning bathrooms in a local department store. I'll retire in upper management with a 6 figure salary. I'll never forget where I started, and why it's necessary to respect the service staff you encounter.

My philosophy, respect for any service staff that you encounter. Do they have bad days, of course. Do they formulate the policies and procedures they follow? Probably not. If they perform sub-par it's their training and it's not personal.

Remember your first job? I'll bet it was not glamorous. I started sweeping floors and cleaning bathrooms in a local department store. I'll retire in upper management with a 6 figure salary. I'll never forget where I started, and why it's necessary to respect the service staff you encounter.

Thank you for stating this. Unfortunately not everyone remembers where they came from.

I know many people with humble beginnings that have become total snobs and look down on others who haven't reached their level of success. I suspect that you always had a strong work ethic at every job you held. That's the reason you rose to upper level management.

First job, McDonald's..."if you have time to lean you have time to clean". Plus we had to take a math test as we had to add everything by hand, including tax, and make change without the computer telling us what to give back and not get confused if someone gave us an extra penny!

45 (or so, maybe more) cruises later we still subscribe to the be nice and say thank you club. On many cruises (especially longer ones) the crew does not have the opportunity to get off of the ship. We always make it a point to ask if they need anything ashore (toothpaste, etc). When they tell us (reluctantly) what they need, we always get a couple of tubes of toothpaste (or whatever) and we never take money for it and we always tip extra. They work so so hard and they have so many sacrifices. I think most people have no clue how hard these folks work, for so many hours, and for so little money.

We always make it a point to ask if they need anything ashore (toothpaste, etc). When they tell us (reluctantly) what they need, we always get a couple of tubes of toothpaste (or whatever) and we never take money for it and we always tip extra.

What a thoughtful thing to do. I never thought to ask and always assumed that they were able to leave the ship to get what they needed. Will do this next time we cruise - which happens to be in three weeks!

I've been looking at the retail side of things. I've been selling Ford vehicles for the past 11 years and fancied doing something different. Can you give me any insight on the retail shops chengkp75, please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived