Just how big are the standard balconies on Royal?

butternut1

Hello everyone. Well I guess my title says it all. :D I've heard so many comments about how much smaller the standard balconies are on the Royal in comparison to other ships in the Princess fleet. I've searched high and low and have not been able to find out the exact measurements. So, just wondering if anyone has any idea? Thanks so much.

Hello everyone. Well I guess my title says it all. :D I've heard so many comments about how much smaller the standard balconies are on the Royal in comparison to other ships in the Princess fleet. I've searched high and low and have not been able to find out the exact measurements. So, just wondering if anyone has any idea? Thanks so much.

Having not sailed on Princess, I can't compare, but usually when looking online at cabins, it will state the sq footage. Maybe that will help if you know what size Princess is? We usually get a JS on Royal and have no complaints with the balcony size and the only balcony cabin balcony I've been on was an aft, which is quite big, so that doesn't help .... sorry! Good luck!:(

Having not sailed on Princess, I can't compare, but usually when looking online at cabins, it will state the sq footage. Maybe that will help if you know what size Princess is? We usually get a JS on Royal and have no complaints with the balcony size and the only balcony cabin balcony I've been on was an aft, which is quite big, so that doesn't help .... sorry! Good luck!:(
As said above, they are 36sqft or 9'x4'. On almost all of the other Princess ships, the smallest balcony is 9'x5' (45sqft) with Caribe balconies at 9'x9' (81sqft) and mini-suite balconies are 9'x7' (63sqft.) The Royal balconies are a big difference compared to other Princess ships (Sun-class and Ocean/Pacific excluded.)

Thank you all so very much for the information. I really do appreciate it. We had called Princess and were told that they do not have the information on the balcony sizes as of right now. However, they could tell us that the entire stateroom including the balcony is 222 sq. ft. Again, thank you all.

I am not confirming the size on the Royal, but if the above information is correct, then the comparisons of the balconies I know are:

Royal Princess 9x4 = 36 sq ft.

Grand Class (standard) 9x5 = 45 sq ft.

Grand Class (Caribe) 9x9 = 81 sq ft.

Celebrity Solstice Class standard balconies are 54 sq ft.

I've seen a few posts elsewhere saying that the NCL Breakaway has "small" balconies but I don't know the size.

I am not confirming the size on the Royal, but if the above information is correct, then the comparisons of the balconies I know are:

Royal Princess 9x4 = 36 sq ft.

Grand Class (standard) 9x5 = 45 sq ft.

Grand Class (Caribe) 9x9 = 81 sq ft.

Celebrity Solstice Class standard balconies are 54 sq ft.

I've seen a few posts elsewhere saying that the NCL Breakaway has "small" balconies but I don't know the size.

According to pics on the NCL board they are just as small as the Royal. This is not a good thing. Paying extra money for a ledge.

And the RP has no outside cabins without a balcony. That was always a good compromise for those who just want a window to the world without the added expense of a balcony. Our TA and his wife are both claustrophobic and can't go in an inside cabin at all.

We spend a lot of time on our balcony but are often surprised to see how few people use their balconies.

The Royal is a beautiful ship, it appears that the designers have made a concious decision to reduce the depth of what are in many cases little used area's to produce a magnificent interior which many passengers do spend a large proportion of their cruise enjoying.

The balconies are small but big enough and passengers who formally got a window now get a balcony. There are of course a few bigger balconies if you know where to look.

If having a big balcony is a deal breaker for you book a cruise on a Grand class ship instead.

We spend a lot of time on our balcony but are often surprised to see how few people use their balconies.

The Royal is a beautiful ship, it appears that the designers have made a concious decision to reduce the depth of what are in many cases little used area's to produce a magnificent interior which many passengers do spend a large proportion of their cruise enjoying.

The balconies are small but big enough and passengers who formally got a window now get a balcony. There are of course a few bigger balconies if you know where to look.

If having a big balcony is a deal breaker for you book a cruise on a Grand class ship instead.

We too spend a great deal of time on our balcony. Nothing like it. Would probably never book a cruise if we couldn't get a balcony. It's just the two of us so even though the balconies are smaller on the Royal, I'm sure we will make out just fine. Really looking forward to cruising on the Royal.

The balconies are small but big enough and passengers who formally got a window now get a balcony.

At a significantly higher price than the oceanview (window only) cabins cost.

Those who have small children and do not want a balcony with a door a child can open no longer have the choice of an oceanview cabin and now must book an inside cabin.

Have we actually had it confirmed by Princess that the standard balconys are 36sq ft? that's the size of the mini suite. I haven't been able to find any size for the standard balconies and Princess isn't answering :eek:
The standard size is reported to be 4' deep and cabins are 9' wide. That is 36sqft. Same for mini-suites. Big enough two two chairs and a small table.

The standard size is reported to be 4' deep and cabins are 9' wide. That is 36sqft. Same for mini-suites. Big enough two two chairs and a small table.

That's good. I was fearing they were even smaller. Weird that princess won't put the measurement on their site. It's there for other cabins.

• 1 month later...

The balconies are small but big enough and passengers who formally got a window now get a balcony.

The only magnificent interior parts on the areas with cabins are the hallways, the elevator lobby, and, except for the center area, the passenger stairway.

At a significantly higher price than the oceanview (window only) cabins cost.

Those who have small children and do not want a balcony with a door a child can open no longer have the choice of an oceanview cabin and now must book an inside cabin.

Parents still have the choice of booking a different cruise ship.

It has been known from the time Royal was first announced that it would have only inside cabins or balcony cabins.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about my second Princess cruise.....we did the Caribbean Princess and had a balcony on the Caribe Deck........LOVED IT.....

I see where the RP has smaller balconies....so does that mean even on their Caribe Deck??? If so,I rather just go on one of their other ships.....

Thanks!!:)

Our friends were on the initial voyage of the Royal and the Grand Med leg. Their comment was that the balcony was plenty big enough for 2 to sit on, but couldn't "lounge" on it. They felt that the mini-suite was bigger in the room than the one on the Diamond. So guess Princess isn't going to please everyone. They said the size of the balcony would not be a deterrent to them choosing the Royal and a mini-suite again.

Thinking about my second Princess cruise.....we did the Caribbean Princess and had a balcony on the Caribe Deck........LOVED IT.....

I see where the RP has smaller balconies....so does that mean even on their Caribe Deck??? If so,I rather just go on one of their other ships.....

Thanks!!:)

You can get a larger balcony mid- ship on all decks. Look at the deck plans for Royal and you will see irregular shaped balconies. Also, the aft decks have larger balconies along with the cabins in the forward bow part of the ship.

You can get a larger balcony mid- ship on all decks. Look at the deck plans for Royal and you will see irregular shaped balconies. Also, the aft decks have larger balconies along with the cabins in the forward bow part of the ship.

Thanks.......any of those half covered like the Caribe deck ones??

We have found this to be true as well. We are on our balcony every morning, spend some time there in the afternoon and finish our day on the balcony. Either seeing the stars if the sky permits, or just looking at the ocean. Rarely do we see others out there.

When we cruised Sapphire in a mini, uncovered suite, I'd read about the lack of privacy. It turned out to be much ado about nothing. About the only time we ever saw very many people at all was at sail away the first evening.

We have found this to be true as well. We are on our balcony every morning, spend some time there in the afternoon and finish our day on the balcony. Either seeing the stars if the sky permits, or just looking at the ocean. Rarely do we see others out there.

When we cruised Sapphire in a mini, uncovered suite, I'd read about the lack of privacy. It turned out to be much ado about nothing. About the only time we ever saw very many people at all was at sail away the first evening.

I have been known to take pictures of those empty balconies. It's amazing how many people have balconies that ther seldom use. We use ours! A lot!!

Archived