We are booked, normally cruise Princess now trying Celebrity

Rascal1

We like both of them. Loved Princess in Tahiti and in Alaska. When with a group, we tend to go Princess, by ourselves we prefer Celebrity with its understated elegance, more relaxing. Like the smoking policy on Celebrity better. Lately, we've gotten better pricing on Celebrity than Princess so always surprised when I read Celebrity is so much more expensive. At this point, we go for the itinerary and pricing and end up having a great time on either line.

We like both of them. Loved Princess in Tahiti and in Alaska. When with a group, we tend to go Princess, by ourselves we prefer Celebrity with its understated elegance, more relaxing. Like the smoking policy on Celebrity better. Lately, we've gotten better pricing on Celebrity than Princess so always surprised when I read Celebrity is so much more expensive. At this point, we go for the itinerary and pricing and end up having a great time on either line.

I agree that I am always surprised when I read that Celebrity is more expensive. The cost was the one reason we tried Celebrity this year and then booked again next year. We will continue to watch the price and itinerary between Princess and Celebrity - at lease I know we have a choice between two cruise lines that we like.

This is the first Celebrity I've found out of Los Angeles that actually comes and returns! Our first and only X was from San Juan to San Diego through PC. Princess has been offering Pacific costal for several years but either the price was wrong or the inside cabin didn't sleep three without a sofa or rollaway.

I've always wanted to do pacific costal since they changed itineraries due to the Swine flu.

This February we took our second Princess cruise. The first was twenty years ago. In between we have cruised with several lines and settled on Celebrity as our favourite. We sailed on Star Princess from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. The price was the deciding factor in our choice, it was significantly less than Celebrity for virtually the same itinerary.

We liked Princess for:

The coffee card

The International Cafe

Desserts

The aft pool

Pizza

We disliked :

Movies under the Stars (OK at night, but far too noisy to relax by the pool in the daytime)

Very crowded when it was cool, with few comfortable indoor places to sit.

Crowded theatres - arrive early or get no seats.

We prefer Celebrity for:

Smoking policy

More space on S class

Brighter cabins and better beds

Brighter dining rooms

Ice cream

Equal:

Service (excellent on both)

Food, although the first night on Princess the prime rib was tough, so we were not expecting much, but it improved considerably.

The bottom line, we would cruise Princess if the itinerary and price suited, but would look first at Celebrity.

Sheila

This February we took our second Princess cruise. The first was twenty years ago. In between we have cruised with several lines and settled on Celebrity as our favourite. We sailed on Star Princess from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. The price was the deciding factor in our choice, it was significantly less than Celebrity for virtually the same itinerary.

We liked Princess for:

The coffee card

The International Cafe

Desserts

The aft pool

Pizza

We disliked :

Movies under the Stars (OK at night, but far too noisy to relax by the pool in the daytime)

Very crowded when it was cool, with few comfortable indoor places to sit.

Crowded theatres - arrive early or get no seats.

We prefer Celebrity for:

Smoking policy

More space on S class

Brighter cabins and better beds

Brighter dining rooms

Ice cream

Equal:

Service (excellent on both)

Food, although the first night on Princess the prime rib was tough, so we were not expecting much, but it improved considerably.

The bottom line, we would cruise Princess if the itinerary and price suited, but would look first at Celebrity.

Sheila

Would have to agree with your pros and cons, none of which would stop me from cruising with either of them if the itinerary etc was right.:D

It's the same for me. We have 4 Princess cruises behind us and are booked on the Summit for Nov/13. We booked X because of the itinerary. Princess is lacking for Caribbean winter this year! We are also a little worried about the difference between them but figure for the price we got, it beats an all inclusive in Dom Rep!

It's the same for me. We have 4 Princess cruises behind us and are booked on the Summit for Nov/13. We booked X because of the itinerary. Princess is lacking for Caribbean winter this year! We are also a little worried about the difference between them but figure for the price we got, it beats an all inclusive in Dom Rep!

There really is not much of a difference between Princess and X, as someone said 'they are more alike than different'.:D

Did not find Celebrity & Princess alike at all. Much prefer Celebrity

Recently tried Princess for curiosity and itinerary in Carib

The only things I liked on Princess were the fresh pasta especially in MDR on embarkation (nice to have a quiet meal after just boarding) and Pizza at International café.

Better on Celebrity

Prices

Air quality - only tiny spaces onboard that allow smoking

More room especially more seating, less chairhogs and theater seathogs and shade seating. Princess felt much more crowded

Better entertainment

Celebrity anytime dining works so efficiently compared to Princess where

there was always a crowd waiting for seating outside the dining room --

we could not get any reservation for any time close to 6 or 7 pm

COFFEE not even drinkable on Princess not even when you pay extra

Healthy food - love the aqua spa on Celebrity

Service -- on Celebrity the officers are accessible and nod or smile at you when they walk by, not on Princess. If there is a problem, Celebrity solves it with no muss & fuss - so many service failures on my one Princess cruise

Room Service Breakfast

Buffet

just my opinion, but we will stay away from Princess although we are open to other lines

I heard from several people that they thought Celebrity was much better in Europe than Princess, but still very good in the Caribbean. Any thoughts on this topic? Does it hold true for Princess too? I'm curious!

We have done two cruises on Celebrity and 9 on Princess. Both Celebrity cruises were on Century, one in the Med and one in the Caribbean. We have been in the Caribbean, East Coast to Canada and the Baltic on Princess. We are taking a Celebrity cruise to Canada this Fall. We are also trying to decide if there is a real difference and which line we like better. Right now, it is basically even, I guess. The cruise this Fall is our way to try a larger Celebrity ship.

This is our test cruise. We joke that it is an experiment. What a fun way to experiment.

In our opinion, we thought that both our Princess cruise in the Baltic and our Celebrity cruise in the Med were great. (We also took an NCL in the Med. There was no comparison there, at least in our opinion.)

I think everyone should cruise until they have selected their favorites, and then keep cruising to ensure that they are correct!:D

Ohiodoglover

I think everyone should cruise until they have selected their favorites, and then keep cruising to ensure that they are correct!:D

Ohiodoglover

I LIKE your way of thinking! 25 cruises under my belt, and I feel as though I'm just getting started!:thumbup:

Andrew

We were on the Sapphire Princess at Christmas, then the Celebrity Silhouette for Spring Break, and are just recently off the Queen Mary 2. Next up for us will be a Baltic cruise (summer 2015). We will wait for the itineraries to be released and see which ships are doing the Baltic itineraries. I'll probably have a slight preference for doing AQ on Celebrity (depending on the price premium for going AQ). Otherwise, we will pick between Celebrity and Princess based on ports, timing and price.

We had a great time crossing on the QM2, but would be less inclined to go on Cunard on a port intensive itinerary.

We have done two cruises on Celebrity and 9 on Princess. Both Celebrity cruises were on Century, one in the Med and one in the Caribbean. We have been in the Caribbean, East Coast to Canada and the Baltic on Princess. We are taking a Celebrity cruise to Canada this Fall. We are also trying to decide if there is a real difference and which line we like better. Right now, it is basically even, I guess. The cruise this Fall is our way to try a larger Celebrity ship.

This is our test cruise. We joke that it is an experiment. What a fun way to experiment.

In our opinion, we thought that both our Princess cruise in the Baltic and our Celebrity cruise in the Med were great. (We also took an NCL in the Med. There was no comparison there, at least in our opinion.)

Ohiodoglover

We were on the Ruby in the fall, nice ship but does not compare to a S class. I think you will be on the Summit which is a M class. Nice ship. After that you need to do a S class and then you will be able to really decide. The no smoking policy on X is also a big bonus.

The Platinum and Elite perks are nice on Princess but don't compare to the Elite perks on X .

Archived