WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

I agree with you. I think it showed concern and a genuine interest in learning and correcting a possible issue. However, it might have come off a bit better to the customer if he had asked if there was anything wrong with his service without mentioning that the tips were removed.

I completely agree but since was the morning of departure, I think it was reasonable for him to mention the reason he was asking.

It is correct that tips are not mandatory but they are expected. Most people do tip so I'm sure Omar was wondering if he had done something wrong.

I am with Omar in that you removed the tip, didn't tip any cash the last night which is when the majority of people who plan to tip something in cash do so.

I think this is the issue. The poster should have tipped the night before, and then there would not have been an issue.

The op didn't make it clear that he tipped Omar at all. That was probably due to English not being their first language as the grammar was not clear. They did also make quite a few negative comments in the op which lead me to think he did not like tipping. "no one else" "not mandatory" and comparing to seaborne and their system.

Strange to leave it til you are just about to get off the ship! The door was already open and the horse about to bolt? I think Omar was correct to mention it but hopefully the op will realise this and do things differently on their next cruise with RCI.

It's wrong to stiff the staff.......and he thought he was about to get stiffed!

I don't think Omar did anything wrong either, but I think the use of the word "stiff" that I've seen in this thread several times is unfair. The cruise line carefully lists the gratuities as "suggested" indicating that, at least the amount, is still optional. They still call them gratuities which, by definition, means optional. So if someone leaves a tip, which I believe they should, it would be nice if it were still considered a good extra thing rather than an obligation. Why should we think it's an obligation when the cruise line clearly says otherwise?

I know it's a small point, but using the word "stiff" here sounded like a insult.

There is obviously a lot of politics around this subject, but the cruise line could make it mandatory if they wanted (they have on MTD). I can only assume they don't because of some marketing reason.

Tom

Had you tipped him the night before, there wouldn't have been any question. Had I been Omar, I would have felt the same way as it appears to me you were going to stiff the steward. You said you did tip, but waiting until the last minute when you might not see the steward to personally hand him your cash, as the stewards are extremely busy turn around day, it appeared you weren't going to. It's almost like you were caught like the deer in the headlights.

I don't feel the steward did anything wrong. JMO.

I like that definition "not mandatory, but expected". Nicely worded!

Tom

I completely agree but since was the morning of departure, I think it was reasonable for him to mention the reason he was asking.

It is correct that tips are not mandatory but they are expected. Most people do tip so I'm sure Omar was wondering if he had done something wrong.

I think this is the issue. The poster should have tipped the night before, and then there would not have been an issue.

I agree with you both. I missed that part when I initially commented. I would never have waited until the morning of departure. The stewards have too much to do then and so do I. If you are going to tip it is pretty traditional to do it on the last evening.

Please forgive me for not reading 30+ pages, but we just strolled in late last night from the Jewel's southern itinerary and I'm unpacking and doing tons of laundry! :rolleyes:

We are a family of 3, and the first day I went to GS and had all our automatic tips removed. We tend to tip more (I myself work for tips) and prefer to tip in person.

Of course, we were very generous with our tips and had two discussions with staff about tipping.

The first was the bar service gal in the dining room. My husband wanted to know if the additional tip he was giving her with each bill was going directly to her? If it was not, he had some cash to give her our last night. She said it DOES go directly to her. So, instead of the cash, he added it to the last bill. She also happened to tell us that the dining room servers' tips get pulled into a pool and split up that way. She said they don't like it being done that way (probably for the reason of the less attentive (is there such a server?) getting the same as the server busting their butt!) I was SO glad she said that.

When our server & asst. server came to say goodbye to us our last night, we told them we removed the automatic tip, BUT we still took good care of them...and my husband handed them their envelope with their tip.

They were SO happy! We told them the bar service gal had told us they usually have the tips go into a 'pool' and then split up. I flat out asked them which they prefer....auto or cash tipping. They both said they prefer the cash tips.

So, there you have it. While I agree the auto makes the people who DON'T tip now tip, I wonder if each person is actually getting less money now that they do it that way?

This is exactly what I thought was going on, thanks for sharing your experience.

So it doesn't matter how much extra I give my waiter? Everybody gets the same amount. So why bother giving my waiter an extra $20, if it only ends up getting divided 100 ways?

Not much incentive to work harder if everyone gets paid the same amount.

By the way I don't believe the waiters' entire gratuity (or anyone else's) goes into a pool. Maybe some %, but not the entire amount. And I hate these tipping threads.

I agree--there is no way they're handing over their entire hard-earned tip money to a pool. THEY worked for it, not anyone else! Not right. I'd keep it, too.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

So, there you have it. While I agree the auto makes the people who DON'T tip now tip, I wonder if each person is actually getting less money now that they do it that way?

That's exactly right. Since auto tips are pooled, if one person who is served by your room attendant or your server does not tip, it essentially takes away from the amount you tipped.

By the way, I have been told the same as you, both by waiters and room attendants. They keep any cash you hand them.

I agree--there is no way they're handing over their entire hard-earned tip money to a pool. THEY worked for it, not everyone else!

But they will have no choice in future if all tips are pre paid and cash tips are no longer.

This is exactly what I thought was going on, thanks for sharing your experience.

It was my plan to ask them and report back.

Our server literally clapped her hands, smiled and jumped up and down when we told her that her entire tip was cash.

And, we also discovered during the week, our asst. server was saving money to open his own recording studio back home (Jamaica). He was very grateful for the cash also.

It's how I roll....good to know that's what THEY prefer :)

It was my plan to ask them and report back.

Our server literally clapped her hands, smiled and jumped up and down when we told her that her entire tip was cash.

And, we also discovered during the week, our asst. server was saving money to open his own recording studio back home (Jamaica). He was very grateful for the cash also.

It's how I roll....good to know that's what THEY prefer :)

We do the same--we tip in cash, in person. I wonder how long we'll be able to?

We do the same--we tip in cash, in person. I wonder how long we'll be able to?

I don't know, but I do know that's our last cruise for a very long time.

Still have an Alaskan one on my list...down the road.

I hope they still allow the cash option....since it's "not mandatory but, expected" ;)

Not only for us, but for the staff who seem to prefer it.

I did my first cruise with RCI in April on the Oasis. I did remove our tips because first off, I like to tip the people that assists me, no one else. I didn't even I to the MDR but once, and we did tip our waiter that night. On the disembarkation day, we had our room open and Omar (our room attendant) told us why did you remove the tips? Didn't you like my service? I told him I did, I actually did, and that I would leave him a better tip in cash. I did not like that at all, because I felt he was requesting a tip when it is not mandatory at all. If it was, then they would be including it on the cruise price, like Seabourn for example.

I don't get people getting angry with people removing tips. I would get it if they just wouldn't leave anything at all. I like personally giving them a cash tip, cause that the reward for their service, good or bad.

Seabourn may include tips but the staff still expected to be tipped at the end of the cruise

It seems to me that someone from RCL should come on this board and explain exactly how the system works!

I guess I'm in the minority - I don't care how it works. I do the prepaid gratuities and stop worrying about it.

I don't ask my local waitress how the tips in the restaurant are split and I wouldn't dream of asking my waiter on the cruise ship the same question.

I just consider the prepaid gratuities part of my fare and I go on vacation. :cool:

Edited by MS52

Seabourn may include tips but the staff still expected to be tipped at the end of the cruise

Per their site you are incorrect

http://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-vacation-planning/Planning-And-Advice.action?tabName=Frequently+Asked+Questions

"ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED?

Tipping is neither required nor expected."

I guess I'm in the minority - I don't care how it works. I do the prepaid gratuities and stop worrying about it.

I don't ask my local waitress how the tips in the restaurant are split and I wouldn't dream of asking my waiter on the cruise ship the same question.

I just consider the prepaid gratuities part of my fare and I go on vacation. :cool:

I get where you're coming from and certainly respect it, but I see the other side, too. Some people, like myself, want to know their money is going to the right place, to the right people. Granted, obsessively worrying about it on vacation is not good, either. I get both sides. I'm sure sooner or later we will all be forced to pay the grats via seapass and at that point I'll let go of the issue.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

But how can they actually stop someone from handing cash to a waiter or steward?

I think the point being made is that tips might one day be automatically applied with no option for removal. You would certainly be able give additional cash but it would be above and beyond the recommended gratuities.

Edited by galavant3

Well I left my tip in the end of the cruise because I thought that's how you re supposed to do it, when I go to restaurants I don't tip the waiters in the middle of my meal, or when I go to hotels I tip the steward in full when I leave for as many nights I spent there. I realise now he thought I would leave him nothing, but then again this was my first cruise, so I will take your advise and tip him/her the night before departure.

What I still don't get and I don't like is the feeling that you are obligated to tip. If they provide me with good service, of course I will tip. And even when I'm not provided with good service, I will tip something. I am not a cheap person at all, my brother in law is a waiter so I know it is hard for them to make money, and how much the dislike cheap people. I always tip more than suggested if my expectations on the service were at least reached. I will gladly leave some more of they were exceeded. I did tip Omar well, was he good? Yes. Was his service outstanding? Not really. But that doesn't mean I didn't tip him, or even tip him less than suggested because he did his job, keeping our stateroom clean.

Exactly right.

The cruise line wants me to pay a suggested amount and they automatically charge my credit card by that amount.

End of story.

I don't care how it works. - Well I do - hence the discussion! I dont worry about it but I am curious to know how it all works so I can make informed decisions. I take that same tack on all things in life really!

They are not the same thing.........and should not be automatically lumped together. I often ask the wait staff about how tips are dealt with. I usually pay the bill by credit card in a restaurant. I usually tip in cash. Unless they tell me it makes no difference. In the UK lets say all the tips added on to the credit cards do not reach the wait staff.......

90% respond.....cash is better for us!

So maybe its time you started asking!!

I just consider the prepaid gratuities part of my fare and I go on vacation The whole point of this thread is to debate this very issue!!!

Im trying to decide what to do on my cruise in a few weeks time and this discussion has been very revealing......I have not made up my mind yet!

I am currently thinking of removing my daily grats and tipping cash. I usually do it this way and this is the first cruise of this new system of adding to your seapass account......which I don't like!

I would like to know exactly how it works so I can do the best for the staff involved in serving me onboard.

I'm with you. I have no interest in involving myself in how the staff is paid. To me, it is an employer/employee issue, not a customer issue. To get into a compensation discussion with the staff, to me, would be awkward.