Notice for passengers going to Canada

alexandra cruiser

I m booked on one in Sept.and just received a notice from my TA re.entering Canada if a person has ANY prior convictions on their record.Guess they are really checking this out.

Had never heard this before.Luckily I m clean,haha.BUt if it applies ,do check out with government website,or your TA,etc.

It would be awful to be denied entrance for some minor problem.;)

I m booked on one in Sept.and just received a notice from my TA re.entering Canada if a person has ANY prior convictions on their record.Guess they are really checking this out.

Had never heard this before.Luckily I m clean,haha.BUt if it applies ,do check out with government website,or your TA,etc.

It would be awful to be denied entrance for some minor problem.;)

Canada has been doing this for years. Technology has gotten to the point that they can get any and all info on you and yes they do share with the US and the US shares with them. The US does the same to those wanting to enter from Canada.

The biggie here is Driving Under the Influence. It is considered a felony in Canada and thus you can be denied entry, even if this offense happened in your college days. It is a very tedious process to have this offense cleared. It must have been over ten years and you apply for "An approval of Rehabilitation" from the Canadian consulate..this can take a long time, sometimes up to a year. I am not going to go on and on about this. For those who think they may be affected you can e-mail me debocon 466 at yahoo dot com. There are more of you out there than you think Deb

Well yes we do take DUI quite seriously, but do remember that this is recripocal with the US--people convicted of felonies in Canada can't get into the States either.

I think both Lyn and I stated that from the get go

I believe the only person that Canada has let in with a DIU conviction is George Bush when he was President. I remember a bunch of people making a huge fuss about it. Mind you BC's former premier got nabbed in Maui for DUI, so I wonder if he is still allowed to go to Maui.

I believe the only person that Canada has let in with a DIU conviction is George Bush when he was President. I remember a bunch of people making a huge fuss about it. Mind you BC's former premier got nabbed in Maui for DUI, so I wonder if he is still allowed to go to Maui.

In the US a DUI is usually a misdemeanor..in Canada it is a felony conviction, thus the entry denial. I am sure your former premier can still visit Maui, as long as he was not charged with a felony.

But back to the original post...It does seem so unfair that a mistake you made MANY years ago comes back to haunt you when all you want to do is travel to a wonderful destination and yet after all your planning you are turned back at the border......and travel insurance won't cover your butt on this one!

I do not think this apply's to getting off a ship visiting a port for the day. Living in NYC we have taken the trip to Canada six times and have never been asked anything getting on and off the ship in port for the day. All that was asked for was to see a picture ID and the ship card.

Not in every state and not in every circumstance. You are giving folks bad advice

Laraine, I was speaking from a Canadian perspective and yes here a DUI can be removed from your record but it does require quite a bit of time and money to have it removed. There must also be a certain length of time as well since the incident.

I do not think this apply's to getting off a ship visiting a port for the day. Living in NYC we have taken the trip to Canada six times and have never been asked anything getting on and off the ship in port for the day. All that was asked for was to see a picture ID and the ship card.

Are you saying you have a conviction for DUI or other inadmissible reason & you were not stopped when entering Canada??

They probably submit the manifest to the Immigration authorities before they arrive at the 1st Canadian port ..just a guess on my part

Lyn

Are you saying you have a conviction for DUI or other inadmissible reason & you were not stopped when entering Canada??

They probably submit the manifest to the Immigration authorities before they arrive at the 1st Canadian port ..just a guess on my part

Lyn

I replied to Hypercafe's post but it is not here. Anyway...they can prevent you from going ashore. As Lyn suggested, they may have the manifest. There are numerous posts on the various boards where people have been denied entry even if they are only there one day.

It is also common that when you are flying from the US and have a connection in Canada you can be told you cannot board and you must return home regardless of the fact that you won't be staying in Canada.

They take this very seriously and the US does the same to Canadian citizens, so it's not just Canada

I thought the issue was whether non Canadians with felony duo could enter Canada

You can't expunge a us conviction in Canada

It is.

Not a matter of expunging a conviction in the USA; it is obtaining a waiver from Canada to enter Canada for a US conviction. USA offers similar waivers to enter the USA (with different rules of course)

We just got back from a national park trip to Washington State -- Olympic National Park, Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens with additional stops in the San Juan Islands and Victoria. No one asked us any questions when looking at our passports.

But the ferries may be more lax in this connection.

And fortunately none of us had any DUIs or the like. (A U.S. couple and a Danish couple.)

Mura

Archived