Notice for passengers going to Canada

alexandra cruiser

We just got back from a national park trip to Washington State -- Olympic National Park, Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens with additional stops in the San Juan Islands and Victoria. No one asked us any questions when looking at our passports.

But the ferries may be more lax in this connection.

And fortunately none of us had any DUIs or the like. (A U.S. couple and a Danish couple.)

Mura

They don't have to ask you questions. When they scan your passports, they see all the information they need in front of them, including the fact that you've never had DUI's. Works the same Canada-US.

I have a friend who was on this year's SF to Vancouver Regatta cruise in May. He has a DUI in CA and had no problem entering Vancouver and stayed there a few days. He then took the train back to SF again with no problems. I wonder if they only really check if you arrive at an airport.

They don't have to ask you questions. When they scan your passports, they see all the information they need in front of them, including the fact that you've never had DUI's. Works the same Canada-US.

Seems like it's different with cruise passengers as opposed to ferry passengers, and prolly land passengers as well. No one scanned anything when we crossed either border. The guard took the passports, looked at them but that is all, asked a few questions. "Where do you live?" That kind of thing.

But they definitely did not scan our passports at any time.

I suppose had they been suspicious about any of us they would have checked further.

We DID go through customs between the U.S. and Victoria, and again between Victoria and the U.S. But nothing was scanned.

Mura

Seems like it's different with cruise passengers as opposed to ferry passengers, and prolly land passengers as well. No one scanned anything when we crossed either border. The guard took the passports, looked at them but that is all, asked a few questions. "Where do you live?" That kind of thing.

Mura

Was the guard in a booth?

Strange that they do not check them in B.C.

Our passports were checked when we crossed at Sarnia, Sault St Marie & Ft Erie going into the USA

Was the guard in a booth?

Strange that they do not check them in B.C.

Our passports were checked when we crossed at Sarnia, Sault St Marie & Ft Erie going into the USA

Keep this thread coming-

It makes me feel strangely good about myself :D

They don't scan them entering the US or Canada at the Peace Arch border. If you have a NEXUS card, you scan it before you approach the booth, But before you are allowed a NEXUS card, they have checked for a criminal record, etc. They are modernizing the border, here on the west coast so they may start scanning them sometime in the future.

In the US a DUI is usually a misdemeanor..in Canada it is a felony conviction, thus the entry denial. I am sure your former premier can still visit Maui, as long as he was not charged with a felony.

But back to the original post...It does seem so unfair that a mistake you made MANY years ago comes back to haunt you when all you want to do is travel to a wonderful destination and yet after all your planning you are turned back at the border......and travel insurance won't cover your butt on this one!

As many have already said, this policy goes in both directions. I have a Canadian friend who was convicted of possession of pot in 1967 and is still permanently barred from entering the States.

Possession of pot in 1967 makes you a serious felon today? Wow.

As to Lyn's question, both in Port Angeles (when we left for Victoria) and in Sydney (when we left to San Juan Island) the guard was in a booth but just looked at the passports and spoke in a friendly manner to us. Both guards asked the usual "where do you live" questions.

Mura

I had a speeding ticket back in the 60s but I guess that didn't count. I have been in and out of Canada many times since then.

Slowly now I assume :)

"if you remember the 60's, you weren't there." - Robin Williams

I have a friend who had a DUI in the US and has never had a problem entering Canada via car, plane or cruise ship.

If they ask you specifically if you have EVER (not just within the last 10 years)been convicted of any felony, or misdemeanor DUI, reckless driving etc. you must answer them honestly or be denied entry for good if they check with the NCIC (national crime Info Ctr) in the US and you are on record. In years past they did not have the computer savvy but now they do. We were denied entry in Sault St Marie due to a friend who popped up on the radar.

You can apply to Canada for a "Rehabilitation" and it is very tedious and expensive and may take a year and they can still deny you. 10 years must have passed. They want a record of your whole life including addresses where you have lived since 18 with each states' criminal record check. You need copies of your conviction, fines paid, penalties assessed , punishment etc. You need documentation from at least 5 "upstanding members of your community" ie Police, Selectmen etc to vouch for your rehabilitation..This goes on and on. It literally made me sick. And to top this all off I was born in Canada.

So after much more research and advice from a Canadian Border person I spent a lot of time trying to get my driving record, State Criminal check, fingerprinting, and eventually the ultimate FBI check. All this cost time and money. Motor Vehicle laughed at me, my offense was 31 years ago, they have destroyed all the records after 10. FBI has no criminal record on file.

So as I see it when I am asked (if perchance I am) I can say no record.

I did not want to post all this info but just felt everybody needs to know that this can and will happen. And after all this I may not be going on the NYC-LON after all:(

I do not know the laws of Canada but I have to say again I have been to Canada on a cruise ship at least 15 times for a day trip and have never been even asked for my name. Getting off the ship all needed is the ship I'd, to get back all needed was picture I'd and ship card. I never took my passport. If this is a proplem should not the cruise line screen you when check in, and in fact not say in advance you cannot get off the ship in Canada if you had a record? If this is Canada law I have no problem with it but if it apply's to cruise ship pas visiting for a day ashore in St Johns then the cruise line should tell you ahead of time so you will not go. I got off in St John, dropped lots of money and got back on with no problem. I really think if you are stating immigration law you should really be in the know.

[quote name='hypercafe']I do not know the laws of Canada but I have to say again I have been to Canada on a cruise ship at least 15 times for a day trip and have never been even asked for my name. [/quote]
Do you really believe people were not checked before getting to Canadian ports :confused:

The only ports we have had to show a Passport was in Russia

Some how I doubt passengers were not checked prior to any of the other ports before allowing people off the ship

JMO
YMMV

[quote name='hypercafe']I do not know the laws of Canada but I have to say again I have been to Canada on a cruise ship at least 15 times for a day trip and have never been even asked for my name. Getting off the ship all needed is the ship I'd, to get back all needed was picture I'd and ship card. I never took my passport. If this is a proplem should not the cruise line screen you when check in, and in fact not say in advance you cannot get off the ship in Canada if you had a record? If this is Canada law I have no problem with it but if it apply's to cruise ship pas visiting for a day ashore in St Johns then the cruise line should tell you ahead of time so you will not go. I got off in St John, dropped lots of money and got back on with no problem. I really think if you are stating immigration law you should really be in the know.[/quote]

The OP clearly stated that her TA let her know of this. I had wanted to go to Vancouver a few years ago, paid my deposit then rec'd a letter from AAA stating what would happen. So I did not got for fear of being turned back. It has happened to me, no not on a cruise.
Why don't you just try to google it, there is tons of info on here, or go on these boards and do a search of the MANY denied entry in I think it was Halifax. They have the ship manifest, they can access while you are sleeping. If there is nothing there fine...but if there is you are called to an area where you are told this. NO record no problem...those with records MAY have a problem. Plain and simple. No one is stating immigration Law here!!
So if you don't want to believe this happens so be it. The OP was only trying to make folks aware of what could possibly happen:rolleyes:

[quote name='hypercafe']I guess I am very lucky as I slipped by on a cruise 15 plus times.[/quote]
IF it is not on your FBI record Canada can't know about it. Are you saying you have a record and you are allowed in anyway...Sorry that is a personal question I withdraw the question your honor. I did not want to pay thousands on a cruise to run the risk it might have been on my record. It is not there and I feel so relieved. And seeing that I live on the Canadian border I can hop in and out as I please with no anxiety now. I have been into Canada numerous times but all by land. When we ride motorcycles in we are questioned but not about criminal activity, when we participate in a Shriner Philanthropic event they greet us with open arms no questions asked.
I am now done with this. I thought I would help those who might be worried about it to get their records in order. Just in case. Didn't really need all your negativity:cool:

Archived