Tracy Arm fjord catamaran on Hal

cruz chic

Wow! I can't believe all the speculation, so let me end it.

There is NO Jacob's ladder. Why on earth would HAL use a Jacob's ladder?

We did this exact excursion off the Zuiderdam during the May 18th cruise. My wife uses a wheelchair because of issues with distance and weakness. The issue about "mobility impaired" is not clearly expressed. It is a normal tender down a gangway. Because of the steepness of the gangway and issues with space on the catamaran, they do not take wheelchair bound passengers who can't get out of their wheelchair, because it is not feasible to use a wheelchair on the catamaran. However, we were able to bring my wife's wheelchair, fold it, and stow it, because she needed it to get from our room to the tender location, and because we were leaving immediately on arriving in Juneau for another excursion and didn't want to return to our room. So we went right to the steepest part of the gangway, she got out, I folded the chair, and carried the chair, while also carrying a camera bag loaded with equipment and my trusty monopod. No way that could have been carried down a Jacob's ladder by one person.

Not sure where this rumor got started. Totally unfounded.

And yes, it's Allen Marine. It's a fabulous tour. The naturalist, Shari, is wonderful. If you take it, tell her we said "hello".

Thank you for this information.

That means that we can consider this excursion as I use a walker which is smaller and also folds up.

Are you sure this excursion will be offered on your cruise?

Last year on our Westerdam cruise -- for Tracy Arm it was not offered.

Was this directed to me? You didn't quote, but your query came right after my post, so.... Yes I am sure. A couple of ships don't sail Tracy Arm, but only offer the shore excursion; that's why I booked the ship I did. I want to take that excursion and have never had the opportunity.

When I disembark from the Volendam I'll make my way down to Seattle, and a few days later board the Amsterdam for the 2-week cruise. That cruise also goes to Tracy Arm, but does not offer the shore excursion.

Between both cruises I will sail Tracy Arm in both manners, and also do Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

I have done Alaska on the Zuiderdam multiple times, and I can tell you that, at least for the Zuiderdam, this is a new excursion. Previously, the Zuiderdam actually cruised Tracy Arm. In either 2012 or 2013, the Zuiderdam converted to this being a service call only -- so the only way to see Tracy Arm is the take the excursion. I don't know if this same thing happened with the Westerdam as well, or not.

Darn -- I gave the wrong ship.

Last year we were on the Amsterdam -- my bust.

And we were fortunate to go all the way up into Tracy Arm.

Have also sailed on the Westerdam (and a few other ships) to Alaska -- Westerdam doesn't even go to Tracy Arm.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

We too did this excursion earlier this year. Our friend uses a rolling walker and had no issues boarding the catamaran.

It is a slanted gangway with a gap, as mentioned, to board. Crew are there to help lift over the gap if needed.

No latter is used - that has to be a violation of some sort of cruise carriage law.

Was this directed to me? You didn't quote, but your query came right after my post, so.... Yes I am sure. A couple of ships don't sail Tracy Arm, but only offer the shore excursion; that's why I booked the ship I did. I want to take that excursion and have never had the opportunity.

When I disembark from the Volendam I'll make my way down to Seattle, and a few days later board the Amsterdam for the 2-week cruise. That cruise also goes to Tracy Arm, but does not offer the shore excursion.

Between both cruises I will sail Tracy Arm in both manners, and also do Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Enjoy your cruises. This will be an awesome trip!!

Enjoy your cruises. This will be an awesome trip!!

Thanks. You're right, it will be a great time in The Great Land.

These will be Alaska cruises #7 & #8 for me; four of them 2-week cruises, and four 1-week, along with a 9-day land tour long ago, too.

Alaska is so spectacular that it's hard to get too much of it.

And this time I'll be able to spend some quality time in Seattle, and actually enjoy my stay there, too! :)

I cannot imagine, especially in these days of litigation and with the liability insurance it would involve:eek:, any cruise line allowing passengers to use a Jacob's Ladder. Especially given the fact that HAL traditionally has many mobility-challenged passengers!

KK it is offered on mine. I'm going to decide on whether I want to do it again. It's so beautiful I'm certainly leaning towards it.

Here is the reply from the tour operator. Please note that at the end of the email they said they never use a Jacobs ladder. My email is below, his is above.

Hi, This is a _round trip_ tour....downtown Juneau to Tracy Arm to downtown

Juneau. Shuttle bus runs you from your cruise ship to the Tracy Arm tour

boat ( not a catamaran) and then you take a few steps up into the vessel.

Hope this info is helpful.

Here is a brief tour description:

http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/tours/glacier-fjord/round

-trip.html

Please let us know if we can assist with any other info.

(We have no tours that someone would ever use a Jacobs ladder on)

Kind regards,

Jim Collins

Allen Marine Tours - Juneau

(907) 789-0081 xt.18

(888) 289-0081 xt.18 * toll free in USA

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:24 PM

To: Juneauinfo@allenmarine.com

Subject: Tracy arm fjord catamaran tour

I will be on the holland America Oosterdam in August 2013. I have done this

tour on Princess a few years ago. The transfer from the ship to the

catamaran was simple like a tender transfer. You stepped off one and on to

another. Someone told me that when this tour is done on holland America you

use a Jacobs ladder for the transfer. Is this true? I'm recovering from

knee surgery so this is not going to work at all. Thx so much.

Sent from my iPad=

My last post got messed up with an error message so I will try again.

I just want to thank Lorene for posting her reply from the tour operator. That should settle the matter. I can now book with confidence when the tours for next May become available.

I guess it pays to question what seems to be a preposterous statement.

I think there is a misunderstanding, at least about the tours. According to the Allen Marine website, there are two tours to Tracy Arm. One is a round trip Juneau that was described above by the tour operator. The other is to the ship in the open water (doesn't say where it starts).

The first is a longer tour on a jetboat; the second is shorter and on a catamaran. It does not describe how one gets off or on the cruiseship to/from the catamaran. My guess is that the difference in the length of the tours is the time it takes to travel to/from Tracy Arm from Juneau. So, Lorekauf, I would check to see which one you want to take. I realize that the tour operator said that no Jacob's Ladder is involved on any tour, but you still may prefer one tour over the other. He seemed to assume that you wanted the round trip tour, even though you didn't say that in your email. Just thought that maybe, for your cruise, you only have the one choice; can you confirm?

FYI - Both of the Tracy Arm tours, according to the website are not for people who HAVE to use manual or electric wheelchairs or scooters. The whalewatching tours from Juneau are wheelchair accessible. Perhaps, it's due to a difference in vessel size?

Now, can any one give me an idea as to the cost of these excursions? I'm thinking of doing it next year but the shorex are not up for our cruise yet.

KK - why did you cancel your cruise? I was hoping that you were on the same one as me so I could meet you!

I think there is a misunderstanding, at least about the tours. According to the Allen Marine website, there are two tours to Tracy Arm. One is a round trip Juneau that was described above by the tour operator. The other is to the ship in the open water (doesn't say where it starts).

The first is a longer tour on a jetboat; the second is shorter and on a catamaran. It does not describe how one gets off or on the cruiseship to/from the catamaran. My guess is that the difference in the length of the tours is the time it takes to travel to/from Tracy Arm from Juneau. So, Lorekauf, I would check to see which one you want to take. I realize that the tour operator said that no Jacob's Ladder is involved on any tour, but you still may prefer one tour over the other. He seemed to assume that you wanted the round trip tour, even though you didn't say that in your email. Just thought that maybe, for your cruise, you only have the one choice; can you confirm?

FYI - Both of the Tracy Arm tours, according to the website are not for people who HAVE to use manual or electric wheelchairs or scooters. The whalewatching tours from Juneau are wheelchair accessible. Perhaps, it's due to a difference in vessel size?

Now, can any one give me an idea as to the cost of these excursions? I'm thinking of doing it next year but the shorex are not up for our cruise yet.

KK - why did you cancel your cruise? I was hoping that you were on the same one as me so I could meet you!

Thank you for delving deeper into what I was turned away from on my 18 May cruise. It was a 14 passenger only that went from the Entrance of Tracy Arm to as close to the glaciers as possible. It was not a round trip from Juneau.

I had paid, On Line, I believe it was $212. But not positive.

I am not going to say anything more on this subject. I wrote exactly what I went trough and to have 2 or 3 question me.......

But for those of you who care to see for yourself:

QUOTE: "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer Join an exclusive opportunity to see the very best of the Tracy Arm Wilderness Area, including exciting close-up views of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers. Your adventure begins as soon as you board a luxurious, high-speed catamaran directly from your cruise ship. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin, surrounded by large windows as your experienced captain guides you past curious seals resting on floating icebergs. The extraordinary maneuverability of the vessel will allow you to get as close as possible to the ever-changing face of South Sawyer Glacier. From the topside observation deck you will be able to enjoy this unforgettable experience with all your senses. You can sometimes even feel the "white thunder," as immense spires of ice break from the glacier and crash into the sea. You will also view the beautiful North Sawyer Glacier, which cannot be approached by large cruise ships. While exploring the length of this ice-carved fjord, you will cruise beneath cliffs that rise 4,000-feet above the jade-colored sea, and you can feel the mist on your face as the vessel maneuvers almost directly under a plunging waterfall. There will also be frequent stops for you to view and photograph wildlife, such as pigeon guillemots, bald eagles, harbor seals, mountain goats and bears. As you cruise Tracy Arm, the on-board naturalist will provide a wealth of information about the area, which naturalist John Muir called "one of the most dramatically stunning fjords of Southeast Alaska." Enjoy a variety of snacks and beverages served by your friendly Alaskan crew as you trace the rugged shores of Stephens Passage on the cruise north to Juneau.

" UNQUOTE

Have a nice day Y'all:(

Joanie

Thank you for delving deeper into what I was turned away from on my 18 May cruise. It was a 14 passenger only that went from the Entrance of Tracy Arm to as close to the glaciers as possible. It was not a round trip from Juneau.

I am not going to say anything more on this subject. I wrote exactly what I went trough and to have 2 or 3 question me.......

QUOTE: "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer Join an exclusive opportunity to see the very best of the Tracy Arm Wilderness Area, including exciting close-up views of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers. Your adventure begins as soon as you board a luxurious, high-speed catamaran directly from your cruise ship. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin, surrounded by large windows as your experienced captain guides you past curious seals resting on floating icebergs. The extraordinary maneuverability of the vessel will allow you to get as close as possible to the ever-changing face of South Sawyer Glacier. From the topside observation deck you will be able to enjoy this unforgettable experience with all your senses. You can sometimes even feel the "white thunder," as immense spires of ice break from the glacier and crash into the sea. You will also view the beautiful North Sawyer Glacier, which cannot be approached by large cruise ships. While exploring the length of this ice-carved fjord, you will cruise beneath cliffs that rise 4,000-feet above the jade-colored sea, and you can feel the mist on your face as the vessel maneuvers almost directly under a plunging waterfall. There will also be frequent stops for you to view and photograph wildlife, such as pigeon guillemots, bald eagles, harbor seals, mountain goats and bears. As you cruise Tracy Arm, the on-board naturalist will provide a wealth of information about the area, which naturalist John Muir called "one of the most dramatically stunning fjords of Southeast Alaska." Enjoy a variety of snacks and beverages served by your friendly Alaskan crew as you trace the rugged shores of Stephens Passage on the cruise north to Juneau.

" UNQUOTE

Joanie

Yes and I boarded from the ship as well. I'd love to talk to these folks that said they climbed down a ladder. While there is likely a good reason that handicap folks would have trouble doing this I wonder where the ladder idea came from.

Yes, there may be some confusion. If it leaves from the ship it's likely the same type I took on Princess. If I book it I will be asking Hal questions first. The point is that no ladder is involved for either so I'd love to know where that came from. When I did this tour on Princess they called it a catamaran. This tour seems to call it a jetboat. The tour is listed as $240.

Yes and I boarded from the ship as well. I'd love to talk to these folks that said they climbed down a ladder. While there is likely a good reason that handicap folks would have trouble doing this I wonder where the ladder idea came from.

The posting you quoted that contained direct info from the tour company says nothing about how you get from your ship to the catamaran and certainly no mention of having to use a Jacob's Ladder. Having done this excursion from the ship, I'm confused as to how anyone thought a Jacob's Ladder was the method of transferring from ship to catamaran. I can just imagine having to hang onto a ladder high above the ice floes of Tracy Arm - NOT! I don't think they'd have too many takers for this one:D

I'm not sure where you are getting your information about the "shorter" and "longer" tours. The one that starts in "open water" (which, by the way, is at the entrance to Tracy Arm) lasts for roughly 6 hours.

You don't generally have the option between the two tours, due to timing. The one originating in Juneau is for ships that don't let passengers off via tender from the ship. If your ship doesn't tender, your only option is the one departing from Juneau. I suppose, in some circumstances, you might be able to do it the other way, but since it takes the cruise ship about 3 hours to reach Juneau from Tracy Arm entrance, you would waste a lot of time and lose the chance to do anything else in Juneau -- and with no change in tour content. You've got to go to Juneau even if you tender, so you are going to pass the same scenery.

As has been explained by several people, the tour boats (jet and catamaran) are not designed for wheelchair use on the boats and also there are space issues -- hence the designation. However, mobility impaired people can still get on and off, provided they can walk a short distance, manage a ramp with a slightly higher than average angle, and make one small step across the opening with people there to help. The operators are just trying to make clear that you can't roll or drive onto the tour vessels.

The cost of the one that tenders from HAL ships is around $220 per person. It's well worth it.

" UNQUOTE

Joanie

Since I know you are always right on top of everything, I think HAL may have inadvertently given you some wrong information. I was on that same cruise on the same excursion. It was not a 14 passenger -- it was about a 100 passenger, and there were about that many people on it. The adventure does begin boarding directly from the ship, but it's definitely by gangway/ramp. There was no ladder involved.

I'm really sorry they gave you wrong information, because if you could have left your scooter behind (don't know if that's an option or not), I know you would have loved this.

The posting you quoted that contained direct info from the tour company says nothing about how you get from your ship to the catamaran and certainly no mention of having to use a Jacob's Ladder. Having done this excursion from the ship, I'm confused as to how anyone thought a Jacob's Ladder was the method of transferring from ship to catamaran. I can just imagine having to hang onto a ladder high above the ice floes of Tracy Arm - NOT! I don't think they'd have too many takers for this one:D

That could be an excursion for the thrill seekers:D.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information about the "shorter" and "longer" tours. The one that starts in "open water" (which, by the way, is at the entrance to Tracy Arm) lasts for roughly 6 hours.

You don't generally have the option between the two tours, due to timing. The one originating in Juneau is for ships that don't let passengers off via tender from the ship. If your ship doesn't tender, your only option is the one departing from Juneau. I suppose, in some circumstances, you might be able to do it the other way, but since it takes the cruise ship about 3 hours to reach Juneau from Tracy Arm entrance, you would waste a lot of time and lose the chance to do anything else in Juneau -- and with no change in tour content. You've got to go to Juneau even if you tender, so you are going to pass the same scenery.

As has been explained by several people, the tour boats (jet and catamaran) are not designed for wheelchair use on the boats and also there are space issues -- hence the designation. However, mobility impaired people can still get on and off, provided they can walk a short distance, manage a ramp with a slightly higher than average angle, and make one small step across the opening with people there to help. The operators are just trying to make clear that you can't roll or drive onto the tour vessels.

The cost of the one that tenders from HAL ships is around $220 per person. It's well worth it.

As I mentioned in my post, I got my information from the Allen Marine website. The catamaran tour that starts from or goes to the ship is 5 hours, according to the site. The round trip is 7 hours, again, as per their information. I have no idea what HAL offers for tours as the shorex for my cruise are not available yet. I don't know if both options are available for the particular itinerary that is the subject of this thread. I only know that Allen Marine provides both options.

Both of the times I boarded the tour boat at the entrance to Tracy Arm the vessel. was the typical Allen Marine aluminum, jet powered catamarans. I can see that these would not work for persons who are wheelchair bound.

The first time the engine with the fire pump failed and we returned to the Zuiderdam. Last year I tried again and they did Endicott instead. This year will be my fifth try to get to

Sawyer glacier.

Archived