Oasis class vs smaller class

We have only been on the Oasis and Allure we absolutely loved them. We loved all the activities, music and the shows. Would we enjoy a smaller class ship too and if so which one?

It all really depends on what you are looking for when booking a given cruise. Each ship has it's benefits and it's negatives.

What are you wanting out of a cruise?

You will have the same organized activites and entertainment on all of the ships....just not all the "bells and whistle" like a zip-line or carousel! If you are thinking of "downsizing" try a Freedom or Voyager class ship next!

As another poster suggested, it depends on what you are looking for in any given cruise. We thought the Oasis was amazing! However, our first cruise was on the Carnival Imagination .... a fairly small ship for a 4 night quicky. The next time we cruised and several times after that we did the Voyager Classes and loved it. We did the Freedom and thought it was maybe just a bit too big and couldn't imagine anything bigger! But we went on the Oasis and loved it. That being said, we had a fabulous time on the Freedom and wouldn't hesitate to sail that class again. Since we were used to larger ships when we went on HAL's Eurodam which was a smaller size, we wondered, but we loved it! They are all different and offer different things. Different lines, different classes all offer good things ... just depends on what you are looking for. I say, try 'em all and just enjoy being on a cruise! :)

I guess I should have stated we are middle aged(never thought I'd call myself that) and we have adult kids who sometimes travel with us.

We can leave out of any port since we have to fly no matter where we go.

Our Princess cruise was awful as it was the one that had hundreds of people get sick. It made disembarkation at every port difficult with hours of delay time people missed excursions. We felt Disney's food wasn't as good and although there were adult activities it didn't seem like there was as much to do (disney fans please don't flame me) We enjoyed NCL when we were on the ship but as it was Hawaii we weren't on it a lot.

We enjoy trivia, watching karaoke, and listening to all the variety of music they had on board. Also watching others in the flowrider:) We loved the Park cafe and only at in the MDR and avoided windjammer.

Noticed you've cruised on both Disney Wonder and Disney Dream. Wonder is about the same size as a Voyager or Radiance class. We did eight Wonder/Magic cruises before we discovered the Radiance class. We much prefer the Radiance class.

Disney Dream carries the same number of pax as the Freedom class but is a bit smaller, and Freedom feels a lot more open and a lot less crowded - especially on the pool deck:). If you liked the Oasis class, you'll also like the Freedom class - a lot of the same features like promenade, flowrider, etc. just smaller.

You will have the same organized activites and entertainment on all of the ships....just not all the "bells and whistle" like a zip-line or carousel! If you are thinking of "downsizing" try a Freedom or Voyager class ship next!

Really? Where is the Aqua Theater on any of the ships other than Oasis and Allure? While you are at it please point out where the ice rink is on the Sovereign and Radiance class ships.

We've cruised Oasis and Monarch within a few months of each other, and while Oasis had so much more to offer, Monarch was still a great cruise in its own right. We found the smaller ship to be more relaxing because we weren't trying to do it all. It made for a more romantic weekend getaway for DH and I, and when we've taken the kids, their programs were just as fun. Their attitude is "life is good, I'm on a cruise!". Go with that attitude, and any size ship will work I bet. You don't have to go that small obviously, there are many more options out there. :D

We have only been on the Oasis and Allure we absolutely loved them. We loved all the activities, music and the shows. Would we enjoy a smaller class ship too and if so which one?

Don't think you'll find another RCCL ship with the same great variety of activities you've had on Oasis/Allure .... :o

LuLu

~~~~

If we are traveling with kids and grandkids we prefer Oasis class. If we are traveling alone we prefer Voyager class. We found the cabins and food better on Voyager class but our adult children and grandchildren love the Oasis class.

We've been on Oasis (largest) and Majesty (smallest). Majesty has a special place in our heart. She's a great weekend getasway, and we usually do at least 1-2 weekend cruises per year on her, plus a longer cruise on a larger ship. We enjoy the big ships, but also have a great time on the smaller ones too.

We had our first cruise on the Nordic Empress. While it was a great starter cruise I could never go back to something that small. We did a quick trip on the Majesty to bring us up to diamond before we did Oasis. Hanging done all the other sizes now I could not go back to anything smaller than a Radiance class, but prefer Voyager class and up.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Noticed you've cruised on both Disney Wonder and Disney Dream. Wonder is about the same size as a Voyager or Radiance class. We did eight Wonder/Magic cruises before we discovered the Radiance class. We much prefer the Radiance class.

Disney Dream carries the same number of pax as the Freedom class but is a bit smaller, and Freedom feels a lot more open and a lot less crowded - especially on the pool deck:). If you liked the Oasis class, you'll also like the Freedom class - a lot of the same features like promenade, flowrider, etc. just smaller.

Wonder (about 85,000 tons) is about the same size as the Radiance class (about 90,000 tons), which we love. But Wonder is 50,000 tons smaller than the Voyager class (about 137,000 tons), which is as large as we go. I think the difference is size between the Wonder and the Voyager class is pretty significant. A better comparison would be that Dream and Voyager are fairly close in size, but with the passenger ratio being (IMO) significantly better on the Voyager class.

While "smaller" than Oasis, the Freedom class ships are still enormous at more than 150,000 tons and with many, many bells and whistles, but able to go to more ports because of the (relatively) smaller size.

The only concern I would have for you at this point is that because every other ship cruising is smaller than Oasis and Allure, you will either have to figure out how to enjoy a "smaller" ship or else only cruise on those two and their specific itineraries. I think you would be doing yourselves a disservice to not try other classes and types of ships, especially the other large to huge, but not gigantic, classes such as Freedom and Voyager.

beachchick

Thanks beachchick and others I really do appreciate your opinion and experiences. I agree we shouldn't tie ourselves to one class of ships, the freedom sounds like a good option and we are looking into the JOS for the Southern Caribbean itinerary. I don't expect even the exact cruise to be the same the 2nd time. I know we can enjoy any cruise because it is what you make of it.

Wonder (about 85,000 tons) is about the same size as the Radiance class (about 90,000 tons), which we love. But Wonder is 50,000 tons smaller than the Voyager class (about 137,000 tons), which is as large as we go. I think the difference is size between the Wonder and the Voyager class is pretty significant. A better comparison would be that Dream and Voyager are fairly close in size, but with the passenger ratio being (IMO) significantly better on the Voyager class.

While "smaller" than Oasis, the Freedom class ships are still enormous at more than 150,000 tons and with many, many bells and whistles, but able to go to more ports because of the (relatively) smaller size.

The only concern I would have for you at this point is that because every other ship cruising is smaller than Oasis and Allure, you will either have to figure out how to enjoy a "smaller" ship or else only cruise on those two and their specific itineraries. I think you would be doing yourselves a disservice to not try other classes and types of ships, especially the other large to huge, but not gigantic, classes such as Freedom and Voyager.

beachchick

OOPS, slip of the keyboard. I meant to type Vision compared to wonder, but I was also thinking about the dream being approximately Voyager sized, but carrying the same number of passengers as freedom. Way too crowded, and pools are entirely insufficient to handle 4000+ passengers on a sea day.

Archived