Mariner of the Seas Far East Changes

In my opinion, from information I've read on Cruise Critic it sounds like the first ship I ever sailed on (and is my favourite) Mariner of the Seas has been spoilt by the changes to meet the Far East market/contract.

I say this in relation to how I remember Mariner and the bars, shops and venues I liked. I also appreciate exactly why the changes have been made.

Now that I've waffled on I'll get to the point . . . . My question is does anyone know if they will change it back to its original Voyager Class glory when it leaves the Far East market in several years time?

:confused::confused::confused:

Are you bored or just having a slow day?:)

We have only been on Mariner once, last year for 12 nights. It was 11 days before we realised there wasn't a car on the Promenade. So long as the ship has an excellent crew and great itinerary I don't think not having a pub and red carpets is going to bother us. I know there were other changes made but nothing that would impact our cruising experience :)

Mariner was my very first cruise, and the one the hooked us. We loved her so much, we sailed on her 4 years in a row, last cruise being in 2009 on the west coast. That ship will always be special to me. :)

I had no idea they'd made any changes. Curious as to what they are.

Are you bored or just having a slow day?:)

We have only been on Mariner once, last year for 12 nights. It was 11 days before we realised there wasn't a car on the Promenade. So long as the ship has an excellent crew and great itinerary I don't think not having a pub and red carpets is going to bother us. I know there were other changes made but nothing that would impact our cruising experience :)

Bored - ha ha ha !!!

They often make changes to meet the local market demands. It helps sell cabins! Best advice, if you want everything to be like home, sail close to home!:D

Blimey !!! I can't do that.

I love people from the USA and the Caribbean too much :-)

Some people say they were born male in a female body, well I was born American in an English body !!

Wig and Gavel, Champagne Bar and Vintages are all gone. In their places are either high stakes gaming rooms or high-end shoppings. We were on the Mariner from Galveston to Dubai, so we saw some of the changes and heard about the rest. RCCL intent was to change to a Chinese staff. First time I have been on a ship where I felt as if I was part of the training team. Most of the Chinese staff needed much more training for a non-Chinese market. Heard from some of the international staff that they were trying to change ships, especially dining and bar staff.

Chris

In my opinion, from information I've read on Cruise Critic it sounds like the first ship I ever sailed on (and is my favourite) Mariner of the Seas has been spoilt by the changes to meet the Far East market/contract.

I say this in relation to how I remember Mariner and the bars, shops and venues I liked. I also appreciate exactly why the changes have been made.

Now that I've waffled on I'll get to the point . . . . My question is does anyone know if they will change it back to its original Voyager Class glory when it leaves the Far East market in several years time?

:confused::confused::confused:

I was on the BCN to DBX leg of the repo. The change I did not like was the Chinese crew. I am sure this was great for the Chinese folks but not to the Westerners like me. They seemed arrogant and poorly trained and not very willing to help folks that were not Chinese. There also was a rumor that there were going to be many more smoking areas, I do not know if this is true. However if this happens I don't know if they will ever get the smoke smell out!

Wig and Gavel, Champagne Bar and Vintages are all gone. In their places are either high stakes gaming rooms or high-end shoppings. We were on the Mariner from Galveston to Dubai, so we saw some of the changes and heard about the rest. RCCL intent was to change to a Chinese staff. First time I have been on a ship where I felt as if I was part of the training team. Most of the Chinese staff needed much more training for a non-Chinese market. Heard from some of the international staff that they were trying to change ships, especially dining and bar staff.

Chris

While I understand what they did, it still makes me a little sad.

Getting really worried with what is stated to be missing on mariner. We are on her 7 march and like to spend time in bars etc n I th champagne bar an vintages are gne what is left for us. We are not doing this cruise to smoke nd gamble help

Getting really worried with what is stated to be missing on mariner. We are on her 7 march and like to spend time in bars etc n I th champagne bar an vintages are gne what is left for us. We are not doing this cruise to smoke nd gamble help

For me there is no better place to have a drink than in the Viking Crown Lounge.

Mariner was my favorite ship also, before the changes. I imagine that all the gambling venues are smoking areas. Yes, made me sad to hear all that was being done. Happy Navigator is taking her place year round in Galveston begining Nov.

Sorry cocker spaniel but I wouldn't be going on her with the changes people have pointed out on here.

However if you go with an open mind and positive attitude I'm sure you'll have an awesome cruise :-)

Oh, that makes me sad to hear. We sailed to Istanbul on the Mariner.

Not sure how to measure this, but has the Mariner traveled to the most different continents out of any ship in RCI's fleet? She started out in the Caribbean, did the trip around the horn and sailed out of LA, came back around the horn, did the Mediterranean, and is now in Asia.

If so, way to go, baby of the Voyager class!

Oh, that makes me sad to hear. We sailed to Istanbul on the Mariner.

Not sure how to measure this, but has the Mariner traveled to the most different continents out of any ship in RCI's fleet? She started out in the Caribbean, did the trip around the horn and sailed out of LA, came back around the horn, did the Mediterranean, and is now in Asia.

If so, way to go, baby of the Voyager class!

Interesting !

Wig and Gavel was till there 2 weeks ago out of Singapore. They changed some shops and closed a few things to expand the gambling - that Asians love to do.

BUT by far, what has ruined this ship, and Royal Caribbean as a whole for me was the huge amount of poorly trained Chinese staff who do not have a clue of what their doing.

We were on the Mariner June 8th-18th (Singapore to Shanghai) and had an absolute ball. There are plenty of bars (as far as I know only 2 were affected by the remodel?), the Wig and Gavel was still there 2 weeks ago and there was no talk of it being removed while we were on the ship.

We also do not smoke or gamble (except for the occasional game of Bingo) and we had no problem keeping ourselves amused and entertained for the 10 nights we were on board, there is plenty to do on the Mariner ;)

I also had no problem with Chinese staff, the only ones I ever dealt with were on the Guest Services desk or Shore Tours desk and they were lovely.

Go with an open mind and I hope you enjoy the Mariner as much as we did :)

When in Rome... Or should I say Singapore!

I'm quite sure that if the Mariner does return from Asia in the future, it will be re-adjusted for the current passenger profile again.

As someone with a Singaporean partner, I can guarantee that these changes will be very welcome in the Asian cruise market :D

We were on the Mariner June 8th-18th (Singapore to Shanghai) and had an absolute ball. There are plenty of bars (as far as I know only 2 were affected by the remodel?), the Wig and Gavel was still there 2 weeks ago and there was no talk of it being removed while we were on the ship.

We also do not smoke or gamble (except for the occasional game of Bingo) and we had no problem keeping ourselves amused and entertained for the 10 nights we were on board, there is plenty to do on the Mariner ;)

I also had no problem with Chinese staff, the only ones I ever dealt with were on the Guest Services desk or Shore Tours desk and they were lovely.

Go with an open mind and I hope you enjoy the Mariner as much as we did :)

Good to know!! Glad you had a great cruise!:):)

In case you want updates on the Mariner, this ship has undergone several voyage cancellations and port changes, some last minute, due to the current China-Japan dispute.

Lot's of bookings have been affected that includes Japan in its ports of call if the ship is coming from Shanghai.

We are supposed to be part of the European charted Jewel of Asia cruise from July 9-16 Shanghai-Okinawa-Fukuoka-Busan-Jeju-Shanghai but it got cancelled few days after China claimed Okinawa belonged to them.

We were moved next to July 19-23 Mega Group Bashi Chinese Charted cruise from July 19-23 that only includes Fukuoka and Jeju.

But few days ago, just barely 3 weeks before the cruise, we were informed that Fukuoka was replaced by Busan as the Japanese now won't let a ship coming from Shanghai enter its waters.

Our cruise with Mariner is now in danger due to visa complications so near to the sailing date.

So that's the latest update on Mariner. I know is a nice ship, but so far frustrated with its frequent changes due to the political situation in the region.

Archived