New to RC - just booked Oasis

DnR

We are platinum on Carnival, but have decided to give RC a shot too.

We just booked an ocean view balcony cabin on the 10th floor for March 2014 Eastern Caribbean.

I need the skinny on everything I need to know for this adventure. Tell me everything! I need to know about the restaurants, excursions, shows, etc.

What about price drops? How do I deal with that?

The liquor/drink package - is is worth it? Has anyone done it for just one person in the cabin by having a doctor's note?

Internet? Is there an unlimited package? Cost?

I know this will be very different from any cruise we have been on as far as the ships and I want to be well informed.

Price drops on Royal are simple. They will grant a price drop if it's before final payment date and the lower price is not restricted to new bookings. After final payment date, there are no credits of any kind. Royal has no equivalent to the "Early Saver" rate on Carnival.

Two of the reviews that come to mind are Radio's and BrianAlt Radio's is a more general day to day, and Brian's is more focused on the restaurants.

Some things that come to mind...

• Oasis has a lot of "free" restaurants as well as surcharge. Two of them have late hours - Sorrentos Pizza (has other litle goodies too) is open til around 3am. Promenade Cafe is open 24/7.
  • There is a surcharge for room service ordered between Midnight and 5/6am.
  • Zipline and carousel are free.
  • There is My Time Dining - you don't have a specific time designated.
  • When it gets to about 3 months before, you can start making reservations for shows (not a requirement, but it will guarantee you have a seat for that show). You can also make reservations for restaurants, spa treatments, etc.
  • If you have kids and they want to do the Character Breakfast (characters from Shrek, Madagascar, etc will be there - no way of knowing which ones)....book that before you leave. It seems that it fills up quickly.

If there's a price drop after final payment, you should be able to move up in cabin category if you choose. We were able to go from a D8 to a D1 because the price drop on the D1 matched what we had already paid for our D8.

There are stories of people who utilized a doctors note to get just a single alcohol package. As mentioned, there are a bunch of reviews, each of which will have information that you might find helpful.

We are platinum on Carnival, but have decided to give RC a shot too.

We just booked an ocean view balcony cabin on the 10th floor for March 2014 Eastern Caribbean.

I need the skinny on everything I need to know for this adventure. Tell me everything! I need to know about the restaurants, excursions, shows, etc.

What about price drops? How do I deal with that?

The liquor/drink package - is is worth it? Has anyone done it for just one person in the cabin by having a doctor's note?

Internet? Is there an unlimited package? Cost?

I know this will be very different from any cruise we have been on as far as the ships and I want to be well informed.

Welcome to RCI. You'll love it. I'm going on Oasis later this year and have done quite a bit of research on the shows and food venues -- some are included, others are for fee -- and compiled all the info I've gathered in one place. You'll find tons of reviews to look thru on the message boards. This is where I've gathered all my info. Here's a copy of the page from my cruise planning list that gives info on all the food and show venues. And if you go to the RC website, you can reserve show times - although reservations are not necessary but those with reservations are seated first. You can also book your My Time Dining (although, again, this is not necessary to do in advance).

As for the liquor package, you'll get conflicting information from folks. It really comes down to how much you drink to decide if it's worth it. I've heard people say you would need to drink (average) 6-7 drinks a day to break even. I suppose figuring in your port days (perhaps drinking less on those days) and sea days (drinking more those days?) needs to be considered too. If you go to Coco Cay or Labadee, you can use the drink package in those ports. Whether or not you can present a Dr note for one person in the cabin seems to be dependent upon the ship. Some report that it was accepted, others say no. I've also heard it reported that as long as everyone in the cabin purchases some sort of drink package (whether its an alcohol package or a soda package) that was acceptable as well. You'll get lots of conflicting info on this and it seems to vary by ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Cruise List (Food and Shows).pdf

You are simply going to Love Oasis!! We are going on back for our 2nd go around this September and I can't wait! It is just the best! I have cruised several times with Carnival and enjoyed all of them, but Oasis is simply the Best!!:D

Sherri-You Dining & Entertainment Options is excellent! Thanks for posting!

Thank you all!

Sheri - perfect! Love the spreadsheet! You put a lot of work into that, and I appreciate it!

As far as the bar package, I cannot physically have alcohol. First because I am diabetic and second I had gastric surgery. My surgeon will gladly write a note. I just don't know if it will matter. My husband would love the bar package.

Any other tips and suggestions are welcome!

Sherri914, Thanks so much for your hard work with the spread sheet. I am going on Oasis later this year and this is a real lifesaver for me.

Here's my entire cruise planning spreadsheet if you care to look at it. It's geared towards Oasis this time because we sail Oasis in November. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1Y9MtMiZjAwQUxvLU9LaEZBSFE&usp=sharing

This link seems to work for some folks, and not for others. Let me know if you can't access it from the link. Download the file to get it in Excel format to take advantage of the auto-formatting.

As far as the bar package, I cannot physically have alcohol. First because I am diabetic and second I had gastric surgery. My surgeon will gladly write a note. I just don't know if it will matter. My husband would love the bar package.

A letter from your Dr on his letterhead should work just fine. many reports here of this working. Your husband will have to wait until he boards to buy the package though because if you prepay it now, it will charge you for two packages.

Here's my entire cruise planning spreadsheet if you care to look at it. It's geared towards Oasis this time because we sail Oasis in November. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1Y9MtMiZjAwQUxvLU9LaEZBSFE&usp=sharing

This link seems to work for some folks, and not for others. Let me know if you can't access it from the link. Download the file to get it in Excel format to take advantage of the auto-formatting.

Sherri-

WOW, what a planner. A couple notes/suggestions...

1) Love and Marriage was in the Opal Theater on our sailing last month, not Studio B.

2) You MAY want to include a column for which days the shows are. For example, Hairspray is only Day 2-4 (I think), Come Fly With Me is Day 5-7.

3) Just because I don't want to assume you know this, if I'm reading your packing list right, each of you will have your own checked luggage. I *HIGHLY* suggest putting some of HIS stuff in HER luggage and some of HERS in HIS. This way, if a bag gets delayed, someone isn't missing everything.

4) Again, you may know this, but there are other shows that don't accept reservations, "Throw Me A Line" (Improv comedy, offered twice), "Splish Splash" (Comedy Diving Show), "Summer Breeze" (Concert w/stars from Hairspray), plus the various "Belly Flop"/"Sexiest Man"/etc.

Sherri-

WOW, what a planner. A couple notes/suggestions...

1) Love and Marriage was in the Opal Theater on our sailing last month, not Studio B.

2) You MAY want to include a column for which days the shows are. For example, Hairspray is only Day 2-4 (I think), Come Fly With Me is Day 5-7.

3) Just because I don't want to assume you know this, if I'm reading your packing list right, each of you will have your own checked luggage. I *HIGHLY* suggest putting some of HIS stuff in HER luggage and some of HERS in HIS. This way, if a bag gets delayed, someone isn't missing everything.

4) Again, you may know this, but there are other shows that don't accept reservations, "Throw Me A Line" (Improv comedy, offered twice), "Splish Splash" (Comedy Diving Show), "Summer Breeze" (Concert w/stars from Hairspray), plus the various "Belly Flop"/"Sexiest Man"/etc.

Hi there. I know, I'm a little cuckoo when it comes to planning. I actually DO have that info (show days) on my personalized cruise list. I didn't put it on the master copy that I give to people because it varies depending on the itenerary (western v/ easter) - or at least that's what I've been told. Thanks for the info about Love & Marriage. I'll make that change now. I tell you what... I'm such a nutball at planning that I've already printed the Wester Cruise Compasses, highlighted all the other activities we don't want to miss (Summer Breeze, Belly Flop, Sexiest Man, etc) on the daily planners. And I have printed off the show schedule from the RCI website for this sailing and have all my shows highlighted for quick reference. All this will go into a binder that I take with me along with copies of our passports and excursion info for each port. Oh... and we do cross-pack our carry ons AND our checked bags. Just in case! :D

Hi Sherri! It's nice to see a fellow Virginian--I live in western Fairfax, how about you?

DH always gives me grief about my spreadsheets, but mine are pretty simple (although I do have separate pages for flights/hotels, etc.) with just each day's activities/plans.

Have the hours of Park Cafe changed? When we sailed on Allure and Oasis, it closed at 6:00 pm each day. We were disappointed with the early closing there and at Wipeout Cafe, since we wanted to have dinner there a couple of times. We just ended up eating early, then going to Cafe Promenade/Sorrento's for late-night snacks!

DnR--this is a fabulous ship! You'll have a great time!

Hi there. I know, I'm a little cuckoo when it comes to planning. I actually DO have that info (show days) on my personalized cruise list. I didn't put it on the master copy that I give to people because it varies depending on the itenerary (western v/ easter) - or at least that's what I've been told. Thanks for the info about Love & Marriage. I'll make that change now. I tell you what... I'm such a nutball at planning that I've already printed the Wester Cruise Compasses, highlighted all the other activities we don't want to miss (Summer Breeze, Belly Flop, Sexiest Man, etc) on the daily planners. And I have printed off the show schedule from the RCI website for this sailing and have all my shows highlighted for quick reference. All this will go into a binder that I take with me along with copies of our passports and excursion info for each port. Oh... and we do cross-pack our carry ons AND our checked bags. Just in case! :D

Good for you. I hope I didn't come off as critical, that wasn't my intention.

Just off Oasis on Saturday. Beautiful ship - I've already been on Allure. We were on Deck 17 Loft Suite - amazingly beautiful. We only dined in one Spec. Rest. - Giovanni's Table -- SO worth it. I'm not a fan of Hairspray but went as our girls are fans. It was very good. The last night comedians are pretty good.

Good for you. I hope I didn't come off as critical, that wasn't my intention.

Not at all. I love planning and tend to go nuts. And thank you for the tips! Everything I've discovered about cruising has come from helpful people such as yourself and the others who share their wealth of info on Cruise Critic! :D

Hi Sherri! It's nice to see a fellow Virginian--I live in western Fairfax, how about you?

DH always gives me grief about my spreadsheets, but mine are pretty simple (although I do have separate pages for flights/hotels, etc.) with just each day's activities/plans.

Hi there! We're down in Newport News - just east of Williamsburg.

My hubby has learned to just smile and shake his head at all my planning craziness. He's a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants kind of guy, so he doesn't get the need to plan ahead. For me, planning is half the fun.

I haven't been on Oasis, so the info I have on my spreadsheet has come purely from reading reviews and research on the boards. I have heard, though, that some of the food venues do close at 6, which does seem a little unusual to me too. But I'm sure I'll find something somewhere to eat! LOL

Please be sure to reserve your shows as soon as you can.

The reservations opened 88 days pre-cruise for our next sailing. We found the most recent compasses for our cruise on CC and ticked off everything we wanted to do and figured out which show times worked out best. When the reservations opened we were able to get all the show times we wanted.

We considered ourselves die hard Carnival Cruisers before, but after sailing on the Allure, we think that CCL lacks the wow factor that these ships have.

Archived