Barcelona hotels - best locations????

JulesAyr

We are looking for a pre-cruise hotel - no real sight seeing intended but a decent neighbourhood not too far from port preferred.

We are also looking for a post-cruise hotel - decent area with access to tourist areas - maybe near HOHO stop.

Concerned about being in a "dodgy" neighbourhood! Barcelona is so vast and have no idea where our best base should be. We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 teens.

I've looked at the lists on Carols links but it's quite daunting seeing so many hotels and not knowing whether the areas are OK and not too remote.

Please help - even if by suggesting good locations.

Jules x

We were overwhelmed as well when it came time to choose a Barcelona hotel....but in the end we opted for the Hotel 1898...a wonderful mid Las Ramblas location...Worked out great for us and easily used the HOHO bus (red bus) for our amazing overview of the city for our 1 1/2 days post cruise stay. You can't go wrong with this hotel and location Enjoy.

Edited by Ashland

If you have not read any of the posts by English in spain do so...she has a link for hotles and a ton of info on BCN.Will be of great help to you.

The OP did read Carols (English in Spain) posts and admittedly was overwhelmed...Sometimes posters want to have specific recommendations not an endless list...that they can get on many websites...The thing that stands out (at least to me) on Cruise Critic is the personal options/experiences others have had. :)

The OP did read Carols (English in Spain) posts and admittedly was overwhelmed...Sometimes posters want to have specific recommendations not an endless list...that they can get on many websites...The thing that stands out (at least to me) on Cruise Critic is the personal options/experiences others have had. :) [/quote

I understand this,but there are so many recent reports on hotels that people have stayed in,and most in good areas that are not all lumped together. The hotel Colon,the Arts,and yours as well. There really is a lot of easy reading on these pages for info. Sorry, I am one who believes in homework for travel...makes a lot more fun:D

Meant to say - some friends have stayed at the Novotel (near Ave Diagonal) and recommend that, but again not sure of location etc.

Hi, you may want to check the hotel reviews on tripadvisor.com. You can search the site for a specific hotel and bring up many reviews of folks who have stayed there.

Hi, you may want to check the hotel reviews on tripadvisor.com. You can search the site for a specific hotel and bring up many reviews of folks who have stayed there.

Correct...tripadvisor.com is a favorite of mine and I have posted many reviews there...however...the recommendations on this board I have found to always represent complete honesty....Some trip advisor reviews are "one hitters" and can at times be a bit suspicious. JMHO :)

Good morning,

We are a family of 4, 2 adults & 2 teens (14 yrs). I have booked pre-cruise for next friday & saturday 'Hotel Turin', close to The Ramblas, Barri Gothic, Catalunya Place. We have a family room with 4 single beds (did not want a sofa bed for the teens), breakfast included, good price. Good reviews on Tripadvisor. No luxury there but since we will not spend that much time in the room, perfect for us. Good luck!

Based on information regarding Barcelona posted by English_in_Spain and also Tripadvisor reviews we selected the Hotel Barcelona Universal. We loved the location as it is not in a touristy area and has easy access to the metro. Our rate included a great breakfast buffet which included a wide selection of both hot and cold items. We would stay there again with no qualms.

I've looked at the lists on Carols links but it's quite daunting seeing so many hotels and not knowing whether the areas are OK and not too remote.

Jules x

I totally understand what you are going through. It was the same feeling we had several years ago trying to figure out where to stay in Barcelona, as there *are* so many hotels and so many neighborhoods. We finally chose a hotel (Onix Rambla) just about a block or so north of Placa Catalunya on Rambla de Catalunya, an area just past Las Ramblas but not zoo-ey; I think it's considered the Eixample district. Convenient to the metro and VERY easy to walk down Las Ramblas to Barri Gotic, or to walk over to Passeig de Gracia and La Pedrera (and a taxi ride to the port).

I would suggest looking at hotels convenient to Placa Catalunya; it's a great location for getting around. No need to stay along Las Ramblas itself; it can be a zoo.

Have a great trip!

Well, yes there are a hundred Barcelona hotel threads - does get overwhelming. We stayed at the Hotel Diagonal Zero, right next to a huge shopping Mall, a short walk to the beach, and on the HOHO bus loop. Yes it was a little "out of the way", but it was wonderful and had everything we needed. We went with an executive sea view room which gives access to a higher-floor lounge area with free liquor and snacks.

http://www.hoteldiagonalzero.com/en/

If reading the threads on the board is daunting some homework on one's part researching location/area that one wants to stay in for any large city then go to Venere.com which really can be a gosend for area's and price with blurbs on hotels.Really helpful.

We are staying at the Hotel Barcelona Catedral in the Barri Gotic district very close to the cathedral. We are staying there pre- and post- cruise......starting this weekend!! :) I haven't read too much about the hotel here on the boards, and I have done my research extensively. I have to agree........all the information is extremely overwhelming and can become very frustrating sometimes. I had to jot down things while I read everything, search for old threads, and take a lot of breaks. 21 pages of threads in one day can cause a major headache! Lol

I use Trip Advisor for alot of my research but since the reviews are reader submitted I take some with a grain of salt and concentrate on what the majority say about the property. Would advise to book early...hotels are expensive and prices in the one we booked are significantly higher now than when we booked five months ago..

We will be in Barcelona for 3 days before our transatlantic cruise in November. The cost of the hotels Celebrity used were very expensive. I asked the agent for advise when we booked the cruise and he recommended The Hotel Grums. It is very close to the port and also Las Ramblas. You can read the reviews on tripadvisor.

We are staying at the Hotel Barcelona Catedral in the Barri Gotic district very close to the cathedral. We are staying there pre- and post- cruise......starting this weekend!! :) I haven't read too much about the hotel here on the boards, and I have done my research extensively. I have to agree........all the information is extremely overwhelming and can become very frustrating sometimes. I had to jot down things while I read everything, search for old threads, and take a lot of breaks. 21 pages of threads in one day can cause a major headache! Lol

Would love information on this hotel when you return. I booked a room for our post cruise in June/2014. Got a great rate on it, too good to pass up. We specifically wanted a hotel in the Barri Gotic area and this hotel seemed to be off a quieter side street. Enjoy your trip!

Dolfans from Miami

Would love information on this hotel when you return. I booked a room for our post cruise in June/2014. Got a great rate on it, too good to pass up. We specifically wanted a hotel in the Barri Gotic area and this hotel seemed to be off a quieter side street. Enjoy your trip!

Dolfans from Miami

I am booked for this hotel in Nov, so would appreciate review when you return also.

HI Jules! There are a vast number of great hotels in Barcelona, but I understand it is a harder decision when you are traveling with your children. We will be returning to Barcelona with our 2 teenage children (18 and 15) and have elected to stay at our favourite hotel....The Ritz Carlton Hotel Arts. Our first 2 stays there (2005, 2007) we were allowed to have our family of 4 in one room with 2 double beds. This worked well for us. The Hotel Arts is right on the water with a white sand beach right out front. The hotel pool has a commanding view of the ocean and area. We walked to Las Ramblas from our hotel...a bit of a walk but certainly doable. Our kids loved being close to the pier for heading out for dinner in the evening. The hotel is about 20-30 mins from airport depending on traffic and 10-15 mins by cab to the port. We had considered staying in Las Ramblas area, but were vetoed by the kids because many of the hotels did not have a pool or the beach. Our kids love to travel and sightsee but we have learned that after a certain time they want some water time to cool off from the hot Med sun. Depending on your teens' ages, you may be allowed (phone hotel directly) to have 4 in your room (as you have probably already discovered, many hotels only allow a max of 3 per room!) This year, because our son just turned 18, have connecting rooms..... a bit pricey but this is a special grad trip for our son. :) ) If you have Platinum Amex FHR you will get some bkfsts included, possible lunch or spa credit and a late checkout...all great benefits that may help offset the costs. Also to be aware...... ;) the beach is tops optional! Our son is a bit older than his last visit, and he claims that he would like to rediscover the Barcelona beaches!! Happy and Safe travels.

• 3 months later...
Based on information regarding Barcelona posted by English_in_Spain and also Tripadvisor reviews we selected the Hotel Barcelona Universal. We loved the location as it is not in a touristy area and has easy access to the metro. Our rate included a great breakfast buffet which included a wide selection of both hot and cold items. We would stay there again with no qualms.

Been searching for a cruiser to mention this hotel!! We booked Hotel Barcelona Universal as well, based on tripadvisor and hotels website reviews. Sadly our travel agent was unhappy and worried for us! Glad to see a positive review.

Did you have an easy time getting to port from the hotel?

Originally booking Hotel Jazz, I found a better deal for two rooms at the Catalonia Catedral precruise and loved it! Note that I am one of the obsessive researchers when it comes to trips. With that said. Only taxis are permitted in the street infront of the hotel. It is within short walking distance to the cathedral. There is an ATM just across the cobblestone street. Upon exiting turn left and head up toward the cathedral. My favorite tapas spot is right on the corner on the right. Amble down the street beside the restaurant (no cars here either) Walk to Las Ramblas. Just an awesome area! The desk people are very eager to help you! We had two rooms; one with a huge deck, and the other abutted the pool deck. We were not able to use either as we were just too busy! I highly recommend this hotel! Clean, comfortable, quiet, walking area. We stayed at a bed and breakfast on the return and were extremely sorry we didn't end our trip at the Catalonia Catedral!

We traveled as a family with two young adult children.

We (two adults, two kids (9 and 11 ) recently stayed in Freestanza accommodations in Barceloneta area. We had a studio with a kitchenette and a bathroom for a great price. It was not a luxury hotel but we had everything we need including a free Wi FI. The location was perfect. It is very close to the beach, metro, restaurants, market and a best bakery in Barcelona. It was also closed to the Picasso museum. Great price and great location!

Hotel Colon or Hotel Regencia Colon (depending on your budget).

Located across from the Cathedral (note: this is the Cathedral is not Sagrada Familia)

HoHo stop across the street

Easy walk to Plaza Catalunya

Easy walk to Las Ramblas (without having to stay on Las Ramblas)

Taxi stand right across the street.

Great location and even if you don't plan on sightseeing, you will have plenty to see in that area. --Also, nice for dining/shopping.

We are looking for a pre-cruise hotel - no real sight seeing intended but a decent neighbourhood not too far from port preferred... I've looked at the lists on Carols links but it's quite daunting seeing so many hotels and not knowing whether the areas are OK and not too remote.

Jules x

I'd recommend any hotel just off the Placa (Plaza) Catalunya or any hotel off the Passeig de Gracia as it heads north from the Placa Catalunya. The two areas I've mentioned are appealing, safe areas. Passeig de Gracia is lined with high end stores and two Gaudi-designed residences.

The Passeig de Gracia leads south through the Place Catalunya to become La Rambla or, following a different street our of the plaza, into the Gothic Quarter.