Laundry plans on Holland America

oswaldjacoby

Good morning,

On our cruises unlimited laundry was $49.00 for the week and that is per cabin, not per person. Our cruises are to Alaska. I've read on the boards that the cost on the European cruises is slightly higher. It's wonderful to send out the laundry and have it come back clean, pressed, folded, etc. What a treat!

Karen

On boarding our cruise last week, I sent my two formal outfits to be pressed and they were returned the next morning - charge was $10. Later in the week I stuffed the laundry bag and the whole thing was $20. There were other options but I don't remember the details. Some of the HAL ships have self laundry service.

Does anyone know what type of detergent is used to launder the clothes? I use the allergen free stuff at home and double rinse in order to prevent dermatitis.

Has anyone had issues with this? I guess we could always wash underwear by hand to avoid the harsh soaps.

If travelling in Europe, the laundry plans cost more. $30/bag or $9/day for unlimited laundry for the cabin.

That must be some new pricing as we have always paid $20 bag in Europe. Figures it would go up as we are traveling ten days pre cruise and will have some laundry our first day on the ship.

Does the $20./bag deal also include pressing if I include some blouses??

Everything sent to the laundry is returned properly pressed.

Items sent for pressing only have their own list of charges, and there is a pressing-only package that can be purchased.

I recently finished a 14 day trip on the Maasdam.

Laundry can be paid for by individual item, IIRC a shirt was $3, so that is an expensive option. If you use the individual item method you can choose wash and press or press only for some items.

One bag costs $20; or one bag per day per cabin for one week for $49 [equals $7 per bag], the most cost effective option. However if you are on a one week cruise you cannot submit a bag of laundry after Thur evening; therefore it is 6 bags total.

The bag provided look small, but holds a large amount. One day I put 6 shirts, 3 pants, 2 shorts, 5 pairs of socks, a blazer and other odds and ends into the bag.

You fill out a form listing all items and keep one copy.

They guarantee a 48 hour turnaround, but 6 out of 7 bags came back within 24 hours. We stuffed the bag before dinner an it was back the next afternoon.

Underwear and socks come back folded in a basket; everything else, including T-shirts, comes back washed, pressed and hung.

Overall, excellent. My jackets, both washable and dry clean only, came back in fine condition. I don't know if they dry cleaned or pressed only, it didn't make a difference to me.

If you are sensitive to detergents you will need to inquire directly with HAL. Perhaps you could specify a double rinse?

Maasdam has self serve laundry facilities. It is $3 [uS coins] for wash and dry. The detergent is supplied. The machines are front loaders and can take at least the equivalent of a bag. There were always machines available, when I looked. This is a good choice if your trip is one week, you have laundry facilities at home, and only need to do one or two loads of essentials during the week onboard.

BTW the Front Desk will provide a small sewing kit with 4 or 5 colours of thread and a couple needles and a couple generic white buttons, if you ask.

Harvey

That must be some new pricing as we have always paid $20 bag in Europe. Figures it would go up as we are traveling ten days pre cruise and will have some laundry our first day on the ship.

Those were the prices on the Eurodam in Apr/May. I thought I had read here on CC last summer that the price for laundry was higher in Europe that North America.

Since the unlimited laundry charge is per cabin, how is the charge handled when the 2 passengers in a cabin are unrelated (ie. 2 single ladies sharing a cabin). Will they split the charge between to 2 passenger's accounts?

Go for the unlimited package.. Vacations should also be laundry free.

I've sent laundry out when there's been no other option (my last two cruises, in fact). It's just me and I'd only do laundry once to get me through the week. If I can pack half as much, wash it once and wear it twice...then that's a real good deal.

Thanks to everybody who responded!

We use the weekly service and find it one of the great luxuries of the cruise. They do NOT limit it to one bag per day. We usually cruise at the end of a vacation so board with a week or more of already dirty laundry and send out several bags. We send out a bag every day (why not?) and everything we can two days before docking. We even sometimes send stuff that was clean when we boarded because, when they come back, they are pressed and hung to take home. When we get home from the cruise, we don't have to do laundry for a week or so.

• 1 month later...

I have never sent anything to the laundry, even when it is free on Princess. DH, however, uses it all the time for his polo shirts, socks and underwear. I am thinking that three bags for a 15 day cruise should cover his needs.

Archived