Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Booked my first solo on the Independence while I was on the ship. Loved loved loved the crew and the ship and look forward to experiencing it all from a solo perspective. Made it a little easier getting off the ship, knowing I'll be back on her in eight months.

I went with the SDP and got (iirc) an extra $12 charge. I might be misremembering, but it was fairly low. Maybe it WAS $24 but I remember it being under $20.

I know some TAs are able to give you no frills pricing that is MUCH lower and doesn't include the 'free' perks, but typically guarantee rooms, and doesn't include studios.

I have something similar- I booked in December (Escape) and they had at the time 2 promos for Studios so I took the SDP (4 meals ) for $13 + and the UBP for $80 at the time before they raised the "retail" value of the UBP.

I have an NCL FCC that needs to be used by end of Jan 2017. I am thinking of going solo but am a little intimidated/nervous about eating alone in the MD. Have been on 11 cruises w/ other folks but no one is able to go before the CC expires so rather than let it go to waste, I am looking at the Epic or Escape for mid January. I will be reading all I can on these boards.

I have an NCL FCC that needs to be used by end of Jan 2017. I am thinking of going solo but am a little intimidated/nervous about eating alone in the MD. Have been on 11 cruises w/ other folks but no one is able to go before the CC expires so rather than let it go to waste, I am looking at the Epic or Escape for mid January. I will be reading all I can on these boards.

Epic or Escape, there's no problem. Even if you're not staying in one of the solo studio cabins you can still join the group of solo cruisers for dinner in the MDR.

Must you eat alone? I'm not familiar w/NCL dining options, but can't you share a larger table?

On my solo cruises (Princess & HAL), the head waiter always asks if I'd care to share a table (anytime dining). In Sept., I've opted for traditional dining at a table for 6 or 8. If I want to eat alone, I choose the buffet or room service.

Whatever you choose, expect to enjoy your cruise!

Must you eat alone? I'm not familiar w/NCL dining options, but can't you share a larger table?

On my solo cruises (Princess & HAL), the head waiter always asks if I'd care to share a table (anytime dining). In Sept., I've opted for traditional dining at a table for 6 or 8. If I want to eat alone, I choose the buffet or room service.

Whatever you choose, expect to enjoy your cruise!

Unless you eat with the "solos" group, which is organized in the lounge, NCL doesn't typically do shared tables as they do on other cruises. I don't think someone that travels solo needs to be relegated to the buffet or room service! That may be your choice, but not what is expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My experience has been only with the Breakaway class ships. My understanding is that "freestyle dining" means they seat the group as they present themselves or by reservation. A solo that shows up for dinner alone would be seated alone. When I went to the specialty restaurants I usually ate alone. That's why if you wish to eat with others in the MDR, join the solo meeting prior to dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cruise on Princess and have the traditional dining. You can request to sit with other solo travelers for the duration of the cruise. My TA usually lets Princess know this before the cruise. I know that other people have contacted Princess before the cruise to sit with other solo travelers. On my last cruise I had anytime dining and as a solo I did not like it. I didn't want to sit by myself. I met some other solo travelers and we dined together a couple of times but it was a hassle having to make reservations for the MDR. I hope this helps as I have never cruised on NCL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My experience has been only with the Breakaway class ships. My understanding is that "freestyle dining" means they seat the group as they present themselves or by reservation. A solo that shows up for dinner alone would be seated alone. When I went to the specialty restaurants I usually ate alone. That's why if you wish to eat with others in the MDR, join the solo meeting prior to dinner.

Sadly, this is very true. i posed the question "Why cant NCL ask if youd like to share a table?" i had no idea people choose NCL because they dont want to share! Very disappointing to me, so your best bet is to go to the solo gathering. Princess is great about sharing, but at best, youre looking at a 25% single supplement.

Sadly, this is very true. i posed the question "Why cant NCL ask if youd like to share a table?" i had no idea people choose NCL because they dont want to share! Very disappointing to me, so your best bet is to go to the solo gathering. Princess is great about sharing, but at best, youre looking at a 25% single supplement.

I like the way NCL does it. On the other cruise lines I've been on solo, there was a chance that a shared table was unavailable or the people I was seated with all knew each other and did not care for me to be at "their" table. One time, I was the first and only person to be seated at the "shared" table. On the 3 NCL cruises I have taken, it always worked out better.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I was solo on the Getaway last month, don't worry about the eating alone thing. There are many people there doing the something. I was in a balcony cabin, not the solo cabins. They have a solo meeting in the sunset lounge. Seems that the bar right outside the the sunset lounge is where most solo's would hang out. Had dinner with a few of them some nights. But, sometimes I enjoy having a peaceful dinner by myself. I really enjoyed the restaurants on the waterfront. It is so peaceful and you don't seem to get the looks...why are they eating alone. That doesn't really bother me, but I do notice. I have been on the Epic, Dawn, and the Getaway solo. I have the Escape (Jan 7th) and the Getaway (Jan15th) booked back to back, both solo. One other thing to suggest is to try to get a pass to the Vibe beach club, I know a lot of solo's, or parts of a large group that want to getaway, seem to enjoy the vibe. Great way to meet new people.

As for the MDR, the free style system is why they seem not to be able to set solo's together. Not set time for anyone. You will have a blast on either ship and are going to love solo travel with NCL.

I enjoy going to the dining room as a solo diner. I enjoy chatting with the wait staff they are also so friendly and sweet. Sharing a table is ok but I got stuck with a couple of overly zealous religious people on my last cruise and that made for a very long dinner.

I just returned Saturday from a week-long solo on the NCL Spirit. No problems dining alone at all, and I had 3 specialty restaurant dinners. I will say that I had 2 breakfasts in the MDR, and they were ordinary... I would stick with the buffet there. The only thing I would say is that for dinner, you are not going to get the same quality and variety of dishes that you will in the dining room. They served prime rib twice in the MDRs last week and it was excellent. The desserts and side dishes are also superior. I can't speak about room service because I've never ordered it. On this ship they charge $7.95 for room service orders, and there was no menu in my cabin. Luckily you can check the dining room menus every day, and if nothing strikes your fancy, then do the buffet. No 24-hour pizza on this ship, but they had pizza on the lunch buffet and it looked very unappetizing. There is a 24 hour restaurant that does short order snacks, like wings and fish & chips, all free and they cook to order, and serve you at your table or at the adjacent Shanghai Bar.

Pam

• 2 weeks later...
I enjoy going to the dining room as a solo diner. I enjoy chatting with the wait staff they are also so friendly and sweet. Sharing a table is ok but I got stuck with a couple of overly zealous religious people on my last cruise and that made for a very long dinner.

I had a two hour lunch with a similar pair in March. Made me leery of sharing again.

After 1 night of the "zealous religious group", I would have told the Maitr'd

I want sit elsewhere for the rest of the cruise.

Luckily I only sat with them twice. And the second time it was the last night of the cruise and I was at the opposite end of a table for 10. I just felt bad for the waiter that they were talking to about how he needed to accept Jesus as his savior you could tell he was uncomfortable but didn't want to offend them.

It is totally rude when some people try to push their religion on others. I would excuse myself ASAP.

I agree- I had a friend that did that for years and in addition to always wanting a favor or something he is really no longer a friend.