Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I love cruising solo! I've done around 7 or 8 solo cruises. My favorites were in the Mediterranean. Lately I've been cruising out of NJ. I love driving to the port from my home on Long Island. I will be cruising to Bermuda on the Anthem on Sept 3. I love meeting new people. If any solo cruisers will be on that cruise please let me know.

IKUITWAARD-

I have some questions about driving to NJ from Long Island. How long a ride is it? The cruise lines sailing from NJ are RCCL and Celebrity? How much is it to park? Have you found solo deals from NJ? I have never sailed these lines, but I would consider it if everything works out.

Thanks for the info.

I am crossing the Atlantic on the Queen Mary 2 Aug 9th, and am wondering if anyone has some tips on solo cruising with Cunard? One of my main reasons for going to Europe on a cruise was a need to relax and unwind. I'd be happy to avoid crowds if I can.

Also, while it would be nice to spend time with other people, I've traveled on my own quite a bit and am happy with my own company (I'm a very youthful 50 something lady). I signed up with the roll call for my sailing, and have to say I haven't found the people there even slightly friendly (if they are reading over my shoulder from the other forum, I don't mind if they know what I think!). Thanks in advance for any info.

Pat

Hi there. I am cruising solo on Carnival Sunshine on Oct. 1 to Bermuda. Anybody joining me?

I was seriously considering that cruise because I wanted to see the Sunshine. I chose the Breakaway instead on September 18th because of the solo cabins. It worked out cheaper and the Breakaway is great ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was seriously considering that cruise because I wanted to see the Sunshine. I chose the Breakaway instead on September 18th because of the solo cabins. It worked out cheaper and the Breakaway is great ship.

I agree Breakaway is great, I loved it as well in November.

I will be cruising solo on the Triumph in August. Does anyone have any suggestions for a non-Carnival sponsored shore excursion in Progreso for a solo traveler? I just want to go to the beach or sight see...nothing real adventurous. Just trying to relax and recharge! Thanks in advance!

I will be cruising solo on the Triumph in August. Does anyone have any suggestions for a non-Carnival sponsored shore excursion in Progreso for a solo traveler? I just want to go to the beach or sight see...nothing real adventurous. Just trying to relax and recharge! Thanks in advance!

I love re-charging and relaxing cruises. I don't have to be anywhere except at the dinner table for Traditional Dining and to the main show afterwards. The rest of the cruise is all about ME!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

The beach is really close to where the shuttle bus dropped me off the past two times. You could walk there.

f4811a5f5a3a306d60efdbff63ed73d6.jpg

If they drop you at the bus station it's just a few blocks further.

Autoprogreso offers excursions as simple as $10 to take you to Merida and let you walk around the city and shop.

http://www.autoprogreso.com/Cruise.html

Edited by Saint Greg

Just finished my second solo on the Getaway. I bought two future deposits. Can I get some feedback on the solo experience on Breakaway and Escape? (And epic, for that matter.) Pretty much the same? I'm intrigued by the Breakaway, but one hears stories of rude passengers. I can also get myself from point A to point B anywhere among the Florida cruise ports due to long history with the state (and friends there) with no fear. Getting myself to NYC for the Breakaway seems far more intimidating (and expensive). Thoughts?

If I love the GA and especially Flamingo Grill, is there a compelling reason to try Escape?

Thanks in advance.

Just finished my second solo on the Getaway. I bought two future deposits. Can I get some feedback on the solo experience on Breakaway and Escape? (And epic, for that matter.) Pretty much the same? I'm intrigued by the Breakaway, but one hears stories of rude passengers. I can also get myself from point A to point B anywhere among the Florida cruise ports due to long history with the state (and friends there) with no fear. Getting myself to NYC for the Breakaway seems far more intimidating (and expensive). Thoughts?

If I love the GA and especially Flamingo Grill, is there a compelling reason to try Escape?

Thanks in advance.

Been on both BA and GA and found the ships to be the same. No "rude passengers" on either ship. The solo cruisers on GA seem to be older (likely a Florida thing). I like Broadway and Jazz clubs so I much prefer to cruise from NYC. Breakaway continues to be my first choice and I have two future cruises booked on her.

So, Adorabelle, if you don't wish to visit the Big Apple then you may as well stick with the Getaway. It's the same ship. The Escape, on the other hand, is the same ship - plus some.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

Sorry, I didn't mean to give any offense about NY. If anything, I'd welcome info from solo cruisers who have made their way from other states to both the NY and NJ ports. I'm a city girl, I've just never been to cities that big. I'm resourceful and independent; getting around in those areas just seems challenging. (I'm sure Florida might feel that way to some as well, but I grew up all up and down I-95 so it has no power to intimidate.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

Sorry, I didn't mean to give any offense about NY. If anything, I'd welcome info from solo cruisers who have made their way from other states to both the NY and NJ ports. I'm a city girl, I've just never been to cities that big. I'm resourceful and independent; getting around in those areas just seems challenging. (I'm sure Florida might feel that way to some as well, but I grew up all up and down I-95 so it has no power to intimidate.)

i find the cruise port in NYC amazingly easy to get to. and though i was born there, i am not a city girl really. I do love sailing from NYC though it is so special, Under the Verazano Bridge and past Lady Liberty, I've never had a spillway that compared.

I found sailing out of NJ pretty easy. I flew in the morning of my cruise and took a car to the port. Took all of about 20 minutes from Newark to Cape Liberty. I do suggest going early as there is only a one lane road in and it backs up.

i find the cruise port in NYC amazingly easy to get to. and though i was born there, i am not a city girl really. I do love sailing from NYC though it is so special, Under the Verazano Bridge and past Lady Liberty, I've never had a spillway that compared.

From out of state, do you have an airport/hotel/method of transport you'd recommend?

(I'll also go find the New York departures board.)

From out of state, do you have an airport/hotel/method of transport you'd recommend?

(I'll also go find the New York departures board.)

I'm also from out-of-state (out of country actually). I fly into Newark (EWR) and take the train directly from the airport to Penn station in Manhattan. It's very easy actually. From Midtown Manhattan hotels it's $15-$20 taxi ride to the cruise terminal the following morning. That's simply my preference. Any of the three major airports allow easy access to Manhattan by public transit or you can stay near the airport and go to the cruise terminal in the morning. I do think it's a good idea to fly in the day before the cruise.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I am a women in my late 60's, I have cruised solo on Princess about 6 times in the past two years. The only problem I have is what many people have discussed, dinning room seating. I like to dine with others, but some times my table mates are either invisible or I am an interloper. My TA always requests a table with other solo travelers, but only once that worked out. I will be on the 15 day cruise to Hawaii over Thanksgiving and hope to find the usual group of "knitters & knatters" that will help me learn to crochet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk