Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Going solo on Anthem of the Seas tomorrow. No solos have announced themselves on roll call but who knows. I'm happy to eat with just my kindle so not worried, but plan on going to the meetups for solo and LGBT and the meet and mingle. But either way, I'm good.

Going solo on Anthem of the Seas tomorrow. No solos have announced themselves on roll call but who knows. I'm happy to eat with just my kindle so not worried, but plan on going to the meetups for solo and LGBT and the meet and mingle. But either way, I'm good.

I found Anthem to be a great ship to solo on lots of activities, friendly staff and the solarium is wonderful place to sit and read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading though all your posts and you all seem to really enjoy solo cruising. I love cruising but I always have trouble finding anyone that loves cruising like I do. It's always a hassle convincing someone to go. I'm in my late 50's and I've been thinking about solo cruising for a while but I have to admit the thought scares me a little. I tend to be shy at first and have trouble meeting people, so I'm worried I'd be bored by myself. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Sharon

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading though all your posts and you all seem to really enjoy solo cruising. I love cruising but I always have trouble finding anyone that loves cruising like I do. It's always a hassle convincing someone to go. I'm in my late 50's and I've been thinking about solo cruising for a while but I have to admit the thought scares me a little. I tend to be shy at first and have trouble meeting people, so I'm worried I'd be bored by myself. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Sharon

Hi Sharon, I have been sailing solo since 2003....if boredom is a concern?

My experiences say that should not be a problem. They always have

activities on board the ship that are open to everyone......read your

"daily"......that would be whatever the newspaper is called for your

cruise...they list EVERYTHING that is being offered for the next day....

normally, it is delivered to your cabin in the evenings and you can

see what is happening for the following day.

I have over 40 solo cruises and can't recall being bored and there are

plenty of times I don't even choose to do anything at all......that is not

boredom to me but relaxation. I enjoy doing nothing sometimes.....relax

with a book and taking a nap is enjoyable for me.

Edited by Lois R

Thank you Lois,

May I ask how you handle dining? Do you dine alone?

Sharon

Dining...you are going to get tons and tons of different replies to that

question....some people do enjoy dining alone...if you read many of

the threads on this solo forum and do a search for "dining solo" you will

get lots of differing opinions. Just remember, opinions are just that....

opinions...they are not right or wrong.

I enjoy eating with other people (but that is just me). I have read many

threads about folks who don't have any desire to chat with anyone else

and they prefer dining alone.

I either do traditional dining or if I do anytime dining I ask to sit with

other people. Traditional dining is where I dine at the same table

each evening.....(with the same dinner mates). I have done that for

many years.....but on my most recent cruise was a River Cruise in

Europe and that is totally different from an Ocean Cruise....much smaller,

and it is only open dining......and very, VERY easy to meet other folks.

I loved that cruise:D....I sat with different folks almost every night....

everyone ate at the same time on the cruise......only about 120 passengers

on board:)....it was in my top 2 cruises all time....sailed out of Amsterdam

around Belgium and The Netherlands......FABULOUS:)

Edited by Lois R

Thank you Lois,

May I ask how you handle dining? Do you dine alone?

Sharon

Dining while cruising solo can be the biggest challenge right after doing excursions solo. I've done 5 solo cruises so far and honestly I have preferred dining solo. I have tried joining shared tables and have not had great luck with table mates. Not to say I won't do it again, I'm cruising NCL this December in a studio cabin and they are better about organizing shared tables from what I hear. So I will try it again. But if you find yourself dining solo the waitstaff is usually fabulous at making it a great experience. If you are uncomfortable sitting alone you can always bring a book to dinner but I love to watch the people coming and going from the dining room.

Dining while cruising solo can be the biggest challenge right after doing excursions solo. I've done 5 solo cruises so far and honestly I have preferred dining solo. I have tried joining shared tables and have not had great luck with table mates. Not to say I won't do it again, I'm cruising NCL this December in a studio cabin and they are better about organizing shared tables from what I hear. So I will try it again. But if you find yourself dining solo the waitstaff is usually fabulous at making it a great experience. If you are uncomfortable sitting alone you can always bring a book to dinner but I love to watch the people coming and going from the dining room.

That was going to be my next question, do you feel safe doing excursions by yourself? I suppose if you do a cruise excursion it would be safe enough.

That was going to be my next question, do you feel safe doing excursions by yourself? I suppose if you do a cruise excursion it would be safe enough.

It depends on the port for me. I do mostly ship excursions, unless I have found well reviewed private excursions. And the more solo cruises I do the more confident I am in using outside vendors for excursions especially if they have good recommendations from other CC members

It depends on the port for me. I do mostly ship excursions, unless I have found well reviewed private excursions. And the more solo cruises I do the more confident I am in using outside vendors for excursions especially if they have good recommendations from other CC members

Very often they are the EXACT same vendors. The ships don't run their own excursions-- they are the middle man and just tack on extra cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Everyone!

Thanks in advance,

Sharon

I had that same concern when I went on my first solo cruise last year. I brought my laptop, Kindle, genealogy work, etc. I never used any of it with the exception of opening my Kindle here and there. My husband has limited vacation time so I went alone. I met a few people who invited me to dinner. I had a real nice time with them. However, I'm thinking of going again soon and don't mind if I don't meet anyone on the ship. There's so much to do and it's nice to do it at your leisure.

I just recently booked myself onto the NCL Escape for August 2017 as a solo cruiser (studio cabin). I've been on 3 cruises so far. My last one was going to be solo, but people ended up tagging along, so I've not gone solo so far, even though most of my non-cruise travel is solo.

Anyway, I can manage entirely by myself, but I'm sure I'll want to join up with people for most or all dinners and probably shows. We'll see how it goes, I guess? I gather the studios and the studio lounge are pretty good?

I just recently booked myself onto the NCL Escape for August 2017 as a solo cruiser (studio cabin). I've been on 3 cruises so far. My last one was going to be solo, but people ended up tagging along, so I've not gone solo so far, even though most of my non-cruise travel is solo.

Anyway, I can manage entirely by myself, but I'm sure I'll want to join up with people for most or all dinners and probably shows. We'll see how it goes, I guess? I gather the studios and the studio lounge are pretty good?

I have done 2 cruises in the solo studios and one in a balcony cabin but going to the solo lounge for meetings I found it a great way to meet people for dinner and shows

The studio cabins are great well thought out I have been in larger insides that felt more cramped. I am doing a solo studio with virtual view on the Anthem next month will see if they are as well set up.

Edited by girlcruiser

I have done 2 cruises in the solo studios and one in a balcony cabin but going to the solo lounge for meetings I found it a great way to meet people for dinner and shows

The studio cabins are great well thought out I have been in larger insides that felt more cramped. I am doing a solo studio with virtual view on the Anthem next month will see if they are as well set up.

Hello, pardon me if I missed it, the 2 cruises with solo studios, which cruise line? I'm learning to travel solo and trying to understand cabin options.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

I'm worried about not meeting any solos on this cruise as I'm not staying in the studios. I've never seen another solo in The Haven so just thought I'd try to find some other solos in my age range (I turned 37 2 weeks ago).

I'd like to do an excursion and I have credit for excursions but don't want to go alone.

So, anyone else traveling solo?

Thanks!

Tanya, Burlington ON, Canada

Tanya which sailing and ship will you be on? I'm doing my 1st & 2nd solo cruise as a b2b on BA in the Haven. [emoji1] I leave on 10/9/16. I have joined the roll calls for both legs but there doesn't seem to be any solos in the Haven. There are several solos on the roll calls though.

Linda

Sent from my iPad using Forums