HAL Transatlantic

Jemery

DW and I are considering a HAL Transatlantic in the next year or 18 months, and we'd like to mine the collective wisdom of the group about that; we know about the many sea days (desired), and we've read the reviews, but what can we expect on a daily basis? formal nights? entertainment? daytime events? what's the same and different between a TA and a regular cruise? We've done a Panama Canal repositioning on HAL so that could be a standard of comparison.
Thanks,
-John

[SIZE="3"]If you do one eastbound TA you will have 6 short 23hr days.:(
If you do the westbound TA you will have 6 long 25hr days.:)
This will depend on the time change at your final port.

We did the eastbound and the first few 23hr days weren't too bad, but eventually they catch up with you.

Just so you know.:cool:[/SIZE]

They will have extra entertainers, and two or more enrichment lecturers. Lots of daytime activities. I love sea days, but there is so much I want to do that I have a hard time fitting in a nap...EM

[quote name='Jemery']DW and I are considering a HAL Transatlantic in the next year or 18 months, and we'd like to mine the collective wisdom of the group about that; we know about the many sea days (desired), and we've read the reviews, but what can we expect on a daily basis? formal nights? entertainment? daytime events? what's the same and different between a TA and a regular cruise? We've done a Panama Canal repositioning on HAL so that could be a standard of comparison.
Thanks,
-John[/quote]

Our transatlantic cruise is our favorite and we enjoyed the 8 sea days crossing as well as all the ports of call. I thought I would get bored and restless during the 8 days at sea but that was not the case. It went by so fast filled with a lot of activities available as well as just being on our own. We love to just sit, relax, read and walk around the ship.

We also made some new friends that we will have forever. Normally on a port intensive itenerary there isn't much time to make friends. Having 8 days give you the time to visit and connect with fellow passengers. They live in another state and we have already visited them at their home and just returned in May from cruising together. They are the best gift we brought home with us from the cruise. priceless!!

The entertainment is the same as on any other length of cruise. Not that great and we usually pass and go for the entertainment in the smaller lounges.

There was 4 formal nights during the 16 days.

The only negative for me is that after the first day we moved the clocks ahead 1 hour a day or day and a half. That eventually really threw my sleep off.

It was a wonderful experience and we hope to do another transatlantic but just not able to fit it in or find the itenerary that is right for us.

Good luck in finding the itenary right for you and book it.

[quote name='OVgirl'][SIZE="3"]If you do one eastbound TA you will have 6 short 23hr days.:(
If you do the westbound TA you will have 6 long 25hr days.:)
This will depend on the time change at your final port.

We did the eastbound and the first few 23hr days weren't too bad, but eventually they catch up with you.

Just so you know.:cool:[/SIZE][/QUOTE][SIZE="4"]We took this into consideration in choosing our upcoming TA.

Also, picked westbound to avoid having a 14-hour flight (coming home) at the end of our relaxing 15-day vacation. We much prefer to get that long flight done first.:)

Enjoy your TA.:)[/SIZE]

I thought I would be bored on a 15 day T-A ... and I was right. I sail to see new ports, and the ship is mainly just a nice hotel waiting for me each night. I can read, go to movies, or nap for a lot less $$ at home. Never again!

On our Eurodam Eastbound TA, we had lost of wine-tasting classes, and some special, unadvertised, extra-cost wine pairing dinners that were amazing. One of our best HAL memories. Loved the sea days. Actually, that was the cruise by which all our other cruise experiences are measured. We aren't big show lovers and don't gamble, so those weren't factors for us. If we had to do a TA again, we'd probably do it Westbound, the idea being that the TA segment would let us rest up from all the port activities at the beginning of the cruise.

there's normally a few more activities on TA's (like the wine tasting cited above), lecturers, etc.

TA's are not for everyone as you can see from John's post. Those that like them, do:D

I prefer a TA coming back from Europe but when the itinerary calls to me and only goes once and the other way (like our recent cruise) then we will happily do it :D

[quote name='Jemery']DW and I are considering a HAL Transatlantic in the next year or 18 months, and we'd like to mine the collective wisdom of the group about that; we know about the many sea days (desired), and we've read the reviews, but what can we expect on a daily basis? formal nights? entertainment? daytime events? what's the same and different between a TA and a regular cruise? We've done a Panama Canal repositioning on HAL so that could be a standard of comparison.
Thanks,
-John[/QUOTE]

You will generally have about 2 formal nights on a crossing. Entertainment is pretty normal with the usual main shows plus a few "guest entertainers." As to all those sea days, the CD schedules activities similar to what you would see on any sea day. If you are lucky they will also have a decent lecturer to do some kind of daily lectures. In the past, HA has done a great job getting interesting lecturers....but like many things on HA they have cut-back on this old tradition.

Hank

Archived