Any Healthy Eating Options on the Lunch Buffet on Day 1?

Bababooey Land

Hi All,

My wife was wondering if there are healthy options on the lunch buffet on embarkation day and what those might be? We will be sailing on the Summit in less than 2 months!

thanks!

On any cruise we've been on, it's more a case of 'how many would you like' lol

Seriously, there is always a huge selection of salads, grilled meat, cold cuts, etc,etc,etc.

You definitely won't go hungry :)

Lou

You can make a nice lunch salad for yourself. There are plenty of fresh vegetables, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, etc. and if you don't want bottled dressing, there's oil and vinegar. Also plenty of fruit and baked breads.

Any food is healthy when eaten in moderation:)

The range of salads is good, there is a nice wok station, carvery and fresh fruits for dessert.

Also the Aquaspa will be open, serving light lunches.

When I get onboard, I typically make up a fresh salad and top it with either chicken salad or tuna salad. A side order of French bread with REAL butter and freshly sliced melons, pineapples, and strawberries is a special way to begin my cruise. All of these are available at the Oceanview Cafe. And we usually try to get an outside table.

Hi All,

My wife was wondering if there are healthy options on the lunch buffet on embarkation day and what those might be? We will be sailing on the Summit in less than 2 months!

thanks!

Everybody has different concepts of what is healthy and what is not. So you need to be more specific on what your wife considers "healthy".

I for once am vegetarian, and never had any issues finding something to eat. Other have already mentioned the fresh salads, which I enjoy by adding vegetable protein, spinach, beans, and such. I eat pasta and they usually have a good choice of vegetables to mix with the tomato sauce. For some people pasta is considered unhealthy. I consider some pasta sauces unhealthy, not the pasta. With moderation of course. :)

The AquaSpa Cafe is open also; it has healthier options.

X2

My wife loves the AquaSpa Cafe and from my point of view the food is definitely geared towards being healthy.

X2

My wife loves the AquaSpa Cafe and from my point of view the food is definitely geared towards being healthy.

We like the ASC a lot... and yes it's so healthy that I asked for ketchup once and was politely told that that condiment isn't part of the Aqua Spa concept.... :p:o

(Me like ketchup. :p )

heinz-ketchup-toothpaste-ad.jpg

Everybody has different concepts of what is healthy and what is not. So you need to be more specific on what your wife considers "healthy".

I for once am vegetarian, and never had any issues finding something to eat. Other have already mentioned the fresh salads, which I enjoy by adding vegetable protein, spinach, beans, and such. I eat pasta and they usually have a good choice of vegetables to mix with the tomato sauce. For some people pasta is considered unhealthy. I consider some pasta sauces unhealthy, not the pasta. With moderation of course. :)

Exactly

I think a liquid diet is healthy.

There is bar in the buffet area. They have beer that the monks considered liquid bread. That would also fit into your diet being a vegetarian. Grain, yeast and water. Plus the beer is good to prevent kidney stones. After I had two occurrences my doctor told me to drink two bottle a day. I haven't had kidney stones since.

The same doctor also told us that we could have anything in moderation and that includes water. Too much water is not healthy as it will mess up the electrolyte balance. Plus if you consume too much too fast to you can drown. :eek:

For my low fat diet

I get a shot of liquor, it doesn't contain any fat. Combine it with some fresh squeezed juice and that is really filling, plus it make you feel good. ;)

People ask me how I upkeep my weight down and it is because I am on a beer diet. I equate everything to a bottle of beer. There is 150 calories in a bottle of beer. So I make a choice of what would I rather have, a bottle of beer or 1/2 of donut. A beer or a scoop of ice cream. etc. Most times I take the beer because I enjoy it more and it doesn't contain the fat.

It works for me so I think it is healthy.

.:D

Salad bar is quite extensive, and they've been having quinoa or bulgar salads often. For me , the trick is to avoid carbs, but there are lots of sandwich ingredients to add to the salad for protein.

At the burger bar, you can request turkey or veggie burgers ( but resisting the fries is hard). Not sure if Aquaspa cafe is open in embarcation, but the have many choices, too. One secret that's not so secret is to go to Bistro on 5. There's a small cover ($5.00), but it's peaceful, and they have stuffed savory crepes and salads.

Have fun! We sailed on Summit last Fall.

Andrew

Exactly

There is bar in the buffet area. They have beer that the monks considered liquid bread. That would also fit into your diet being a vegetarian. Grain, yeast and water. Plus the beer is good to prevent kidney stones.p.

Now we are talking.. :-)

We like the ASC a lot... and yes it's so healthy that I asked for ketchup once and was politely told that that condiment isn't part of the Aqua Spa concept.... :p:o

(Me like ketchup. :p )

heinz-ketchup-toothpaste-ad.jpg

My brother in law puts ketchup on his ketchup LOL love this pic!!! :o

At the burger bar, you can request turkey or veggie burgers ( but resisting the fries is hard).

Andrew

I maybe vegetarian, but not always eat "healthy", love my fries too; specially sweet potato fries. A vegan burgen is good, but adding the bun and fries no so good. Hard to resist, specially with a nice cold beer. But it was explained here before that beer is vegetarian so its all good then. LOL.

Happy sailings

Keep in mind that a serving of (plain) pasta is half a cup. Many restaurants provide you with 12 servings on your plate. Aaaak!

Bon appetit

I'm aware of that, an also one slice (1/8) of a median pizza is a serving. :-0

Salad bar is quite extensive, and they've been having quinoa or bulgar salads often. For me , the trick is to avoid carbs, but there are lots of sandwich ingredients to add to the salad for protein.

At the burger bar, you can request turkey or veggie burgers ( but resisting the fries is hard). Not sure if Aquaspa cafe is open in embarcation, but the have many choices, too. One secret that's not so secret is to go to Bistro on 5. There's a small cover ($5.00), but it's peaceful, and they have stuffed savory crepes and salads.

Have fun! We sailed on Summit last Fall.

Andrew

AquaSpa Café was open from 12:00 noon to 2:30 pm on embarkation day on the Century last week.

Half of the space in the ASC was given over to the new "for a fee" offerings, including smoothies, yogurt sundaes, etc. Most of the items I saw were priced at $5.00 each, but I didn't have my camera with me, and since I wasn't going to buy anything there, I didn't look too closely.

There was a no-fee salad bar with reduced choices from what we were offered on the Silhouette on the Spring Transatlantic in April 2013. There were four bowls of no-fee fruit-based dishes, such as stewed prunes. There were some plated items for no extra fee, but they looked a little too grassy and herby to me, and not the interesting offerings that I used to enjoy. No grilled items, like tuna, salmon, chicken or pork. Those are all gone now. I have to admit that I probably didn't give the new ASC a fair shot as I am quite grumpy about the new menu. The previous AquaSpa Café was my favourite place to go for lunch and I really missed it. One of the servers in the ASC told me that the change is not going over well. He thought the change was just on the Century, and hadn't heard that it was being extended to other ships.

Exactly

There is bar in the buffet area. They have beer that the monks considered liquid bread. That would also fit into your diet being a vegetarian. Grain, yeast and water. Plus the beer is good to prevent kidney stones. After I had two occurrences my doctor told me to drink two bottle a day. I haven't had kidney stones since.

The same doctor also told us that we could have anything in moderation and that includes water. Too much water is not healthy as it will mess up the electrolyte balance. Plus if you consume too much too fast to you can drown. :eek:

For my low fat diet

I get a shot of liquor, it doesn't contain any fat. Combine it with some fresh squeezed juice and that is really filling, plus it make you feel good. ;)

People ask me how I upkeep my weight down and it is because I am on a beer diet. I equate everything to a bottle of beer. There is 150 calories in a bottle of beer. So I make a choice of what would I rather have, a bottle of beer or 1/2 of donut. A beer or a scoop of ice cream. etc. Most times I take the beer because I enjoy it more and it doesn't contain the fat.

It works for me so I think it is healthy.

.:D

Hahahahaha...brilliant! Now here's a line of thinking I could get on board with!!

Archived