Help! A few questions before making our deposit on 2015 WC

bksunbuddies

We currently are holding a cabin on the World Cruise 2015 and deposits are due next week. This will be our first cruise with Oceania and we need some feedback so we can compare it to our recently completed WC on Holland America.

We have a few questions that I am sure many of you can answer.

With HAL, we were allowed to embark with a case of wine for personal consumption on our balcony. Does Oceania allow people to bring unlimited amounts of wine, a few bottles or none?

Since the rooms are much smaller in comparison, does Oceania store the luggage elsewhere on the ship or are we supposed to try to fit the luggage under the bed? There doesn't seem to be much room to store suitcases in the cabin.

We like to play Bridge. Is there an organized Duplicate game/lessons with an instructor scheduled to be on this WC sailing?

I realize there would be a cost for personal fitness trainer or classes; however, is there any cost to use the exercise equipment?

We enjoy social gatherings. Does Oceania plan "sailaway parties" from each port?

Curious to know if there is smoking allowed anywhere on the ship. If allowed, is smoking allowed on balconies?

A lot of people on the boards mention that the entertainment is not a strong point on Oceania. Can someone please elaborate on the usual entertainment on board? I am assuming there is only one showtime per night since dinner is open seating.

Thank you for your help. :)

We currently are holding a cabin on the World Cruise 2015 and deposits are due next week. This will be our first cruise with Oceania and we need some feedback so we can compare it to our recently completed WC on Holland America.

We have a few questions that I am sure many of you can answer.

With HAL, we were allowed to embark with a case of wine for personal consumption on our balcony. Does Oceania allow people to bring unlimited amounts of wine, a few bottles or none?

Technically I think the limit is 3 bottles but frequently people take much more on board than that. And I doubt you'd be limited to only 3 bottles on such a long cruise. You may bring a bottle of wine to dinner but you'll pay a corkage fee.

Since the rooms are much smaller in comparison, does Oceania store the luggage elsewhere on the ship or are we supposed to try to fit the luggage under the bed? There doesn't seem to be much room to store suitcases in the cabin.

If they don't fit under the bed the crew will store the remaining luggage elsewhere.

We like to play Bridge. Is there an organized Duplicate game/lessons with an instructor scheduled to be on this WC sailing?

I don't know about this sailing. They don't always have bridge instructors on a cruise. But I would suspect that for 180 days there will be a lot more activities available, just perhaps not ALL the time.

I realize there would be a cost for personal fitness trainer or classes; however, is there any cost to use the exercise equipment?

Nope.

We enjoy social gatherings. Does Oceania plan "sailaway parties" from each port?

I don't recall official sailaway parties although you can always go up to Horizons for an excellent view.

Curious to know if there is smoking allowed anywhere on the ship. If allowed, is smoking allowed on balconies?

Two small smoking areas but DEFINITELY NO SMOKING ON THE VERANDAS. You will have neighbors who won't appreciate the smell of your smoke.

A lot of people on the boards mention that the entertainment is not a strong point on Oceania. Can someone please elaborate on the usual entertainment on board? I am assuming there is only one showtime per night since dinner is open seating.

One show a night, usually at 9:45, I believe. Various kinds of acts available ... it will depend on who they hire for each segment of the cruise. Usually the acts that WE most enjoy are one-two person acts, but that is us.

Thank you for your help. :)

P.S. I'm not sure I'd want to book such a long cruise on a line we've never traveled on. We love Oceania but I would take a shorter cruise first to make sure! I wouldn't want to be committed for such a long cruise and then find out we hate it.

Mura

Mura

Oceania's "bringing on Liquor" policy is actually much more lenient than Holland America, in that they also allow distilled spirits to come onboard without restriction, as long as it is intended for "in cabin use".

Under the bed is typically the first suggestion, but your steward will happily store your luggage elsewhere, if you prefer.

Oceania has Bridge professionals on the ship for Transatlantic's and other voyages which are heavy on sea days, so you can certainly count on on Organized Bridge for a trip as long as this.

There is no cost associated with using the gymnasium, steam or sauna facilities.

The Cruise that you have reserved will be Oceania's FIRST World Cruise, so there is no precedent, but on shorter voyages, Sail Away parties are organized for those ports which are perceived as "Special".

Smoking is permitted indoors in one corner of Horizons (the Observation Lounge), and outside in one corner of the Pool Deck, but absolutely nowhere else on the ship. Oceania is quite stern and diligent about the Smoking Rules, and smoking on one's balcony may well result in one being asked to leave the ship.

There is Ballroom Dancing with the ship's Orchestra for ninety minutes or an hour in the Main Showroom before the Show is presented (usually about 9PM-ish), after which the action moves up to Horizons where there is dancing to live and/or recorded music until the crowd dies down.

Concurrently, there will be a pianist playing "music to cocktail by" in the Martini Lounge, from 6pm until the bar closes.

I agree with Maura, there is no way I would book a cruise for 180 days

on a cruise line or ship I have never been on. If you are unhappy for any reason

On a week or two week cruise you probably will chalk it up to experience but if your unhappy for 180 days you may want to jump ship. :confused:

The other answers are excellent; I'll just pad a little in a couple of them.

... Does Oceania allow people to bring unlimited amounts of wine, a few bottles or none?...

Oceania has an "official" policy to restirct alcohol brought on board, but it is only there to be used if someone might become obnoxious. You may bring any amounts (within reason) of wine, beer OR spirits on board at any port. Oceania treats guests like adults.

...is there any cost to use the exercise equipment?...

There is no charge for the exercise equipment, steam rooms or sauna. There is no charge for access to the spa sundeck and the thalassotherapy whirlpools if you are in Concierge (Category A) or higher. Category B and below may purchase daily passes if they are not crowded.

...Can someone please elaborate on the usual entertainment on board?...

There is only one show per evening, usually at 9:30 or 9:45 although occasionally 9:00, lasting for 45 minutes. The lounge on the "R" class ships is smaller than most ship theaters with a low ceiling, which restricts the lighting effects and affets accoustics. The stage is very small, although the performance area extends out fromthe stage in a semi-circular dance floor.

There are two basic types of entertainment. There are usually 4 singers and dancers, cast by Gary Musick Productions. They often have dual roles; on our last cruise a week ago, one of the singers was assistant cruise director and another was social hostess. The caliber varies; the ones we just enjoyed were very, very good. They perform a few set production shows, usually repeated in every cruise; I would imagine they'd be repeated on every segment of a WC. They are also capable of one man shows in most cases.

The other basic type of entertainment is more cabaret-style, small groups or one man shows; with comedians, magicians, singers, instrumentalists like classical guatarist and fabulous clarinetist. There is always a string quartet who may perform in the showroom on longer cruises; and there is a 8 piece dance and show band backing up most of the performances, and capable of an entertaining evening on their own. I've also seen performances of all 12 as an "orchestra". Some of the cruise directors are capable of an occasional performance. While the entertainment is restricted simply because of the size of the venue, in my opinion Oceania makes a concientious effort to provide a variety of decent entertainment within those restirctions. Certainly there are no Cirque du Soleil or Blue Man Groups, buit there are also no upcharges or reservations for the shows.

I may be in a minority, but I thoroughly enjoy all the entertainment on Oceania. I've met Michael Day, the Vice President of Entertainment for Prestige Cruise Holdings, the parent company of Oceania and Regent, and I know he takes the challenge very seriously. In 144 nights aboard Oceania's ships, I can count the number of shows I've missed on one hand, usually due to long special dinners.

I think Oceania is a great line, having sailed on HAL I must say Oceania is far above them. However the ship in question here is smaller than even the smallest of HAL,s. I would suggest going on it to try it out before committing to 180 days on it. The show lounge is small and not what you would expect, I think the shows are great but again not what you think.

All of the above answers are correct currently BUT I believe you will see some changes in policies on the world cruise..IMHO, especially since the whole ship or almost the whole ship will be world cruisers, a lot of the things will be different..The first trip I was on Regatta (same size as Insignia) In fact it was Insignia, just called Regatta for the first year..I was on for 35 days and begged to stay on another 35..people that havent been on a world cruise cannot believe how addicting long cruises can become especially on a small ship!!..

Jancruz1

We are in the same position - doing the 180 as first timers so all the info is appreciated. We have done a 48 day on a Princess sister ship so are used to the ships layout.

In several exotic ports we have had local groups do a show on board or on the dock just before sail-away. Does Oceania do this at some ports?

We had some groups come on board to do a special show when we did the South Pacific cruise this past February. At quite a few of the ports there were shows dockside, some which were quite entertaining. We got some excellent video at a couple of ports. I did a 34 day cruise this year and I was not really ready to get off the ship. I did find that after the first week, that I ate less and less which meant that I did not pack on the pounds. If I could leave the bread alone, which I did for most meals, I did quite well. I have sailed both Princess and HAL and definitely prefer Oceania. I like the lack of a ship photographer, I find the passengers definitely more friendly and the crew is not as overworked as they are on HAL and Princess. The shows will not be as spectacular as they do not have the stage, but I found I enjoy the smaller acts more. Have a great cruise.

I see you are from Florida. When the ships are in Miami on turnaround day a lot of TA bring people on board for a tour. I do not know their schedule but if any of the three of them will be there before the final payment for the trip arrange a tour.

I see you are from Florida. When the ships are in Miami on turnaround day a lot of TA bring people on board for a tour. I do not know their schedule but if any of the three of them will be there before the final payment for the trip arrange a tour.

Regatta is the only one to come to the USA before the world cruise

Unless they can get a tour of the Columbus 2

We currently are holding a cabin on the World Cruise 2015 and deposits are due next week.

I would try to get on a short cruise on one of the R-ships this year & check it out before committing to 180 days on the WC

YMMV

Archived