TSA & security money pouches

margeecruiser

We are flying out of IAH for a month-long land and cruise trip. We will have quite a bit of euros in money pouches under our clothes when we go thru security in Houston. Will the TSA agents make us remove the pouches and put them thru the scanners? If they require that, can we ask for a personal pat down instead? This happened one time, and it was terrible to have to take our vacation cash out from under our clothes while standing in full view of everyone, and then not being able to follow it thru the conveyor belt thru the scanners.

Thanks

Yes they will. Another option is to put it into your handluggage before screening and take it out again after that.

Yes, they will ask you to remove your (hidden) money pouches and send them through the scanner.

We put our money pouches into our carry-on prior to arriving at the airport.

We try to have the minimum to check-in and clear security: ID, boarding passes, passports, on our persons.

Then one of us will go through the scanners first, then the other sends our stuff through the conveyor belt. May get some :mad: stares, but we just ignore them.

If time allows, we head to the restroom stall, to you know...unpack:rolleyes:

Given the time you have in Europe it be more convenient if you obtain your Euros via ATM. JMO.

As others have said, you will be asked to voluntarily remove your money pouches. If people are asked to remove walking casts (YES, happened to me), they won't bat an eyelash at asking you to take off the money and hand it over to clerks who don't think twice about stealing. TSA never requires anything, nor do they confiscate anything. Their wording. If you prefer to not do something they asked or give up that 3.5 oz. bottle, TSA will give you the chance to receive a secondary feel-up or leave the area. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Take the money pouch and put it into your carryon. PUT A LOCK on the bag. Watch the bag go through before you go through the WTMD or MMW. If you are pulled over for a secondary, it is within your right (It's right there on the TSA site, in fact, they recommend it) to be within visual contact of your bags AT ALL TIMES. Escalate if the clerk does not allow you see your bag. Ask for a supervisor, a FSD if needed. Do not be intimidated by these people. Don't be a sheeple; if it doesn't feel right to you, question it!!!!

Thanks everyone for your responses. We will take your advice and put the pouches into our carry ons and "don" them once we are past security.

This is only our second international trip, so we are still learning.

Margee

Is there any reason that you are carrying a lot of euro instead of getting it from an ATM in-country?

We take an amount to get us through the first few hrs of arriving in a country and then go to a bank's ATM for whatever else we think we will need in local currency. We use a credit card whenever possible.

Is there any reason that you are carrying a lot of euro instead of getting it from an ATM in-country?

We take an amount to get us through the first few hrs of arriving in a country and then go to a bank's ATM for whatever else we think we will need in local currency. We use a credit card whenever possible.

A lot of people would prefer to have cash in hand then go to ATMs. I'm one of them. I don't feel comfort using ATMs, or spending the time to do it. I don't care if it only takes 15 minutes, those are 15 minutes using the machine and finding one to do it. I also like to know I've got what I need and don't need to worry about my cash. Last Europe vacation I took money for hotels, tours, meals, etc. for 3 people. I ended up carrying around 7000 EU. I divided the tours with tip amount in an envelope so I only had to pull out that envelope for the day. Same for hotel and transfers. When I wanted spending cash I went to the correct envelope.

All money not being used that day was in the hotel or ship safe. The only time the full amount was on me was the flight and trip to hotel, then the trip to the ship.

A lot of people would prefer to have cash in hand then go to ATMs. I'm one of them. I don't feel comfort using ATMs, or spending the time to do it. I don't care if it only takes 15 minutes, those are 15 minutes using the machine and finding one to do it. I also like to know I've got what I need and don't need to worry about my cash. Last Europe vacation I took money for hotels, tours, meals, etc. for 3 people. I ended up carrying around 7000 EU. I divided the tours with tip amount in an envelope so I only had to pull out that envelope for the day. Same for hotel and transfers. When I wanted spending cash I went to the correct envelope.

All money not being used that day was in the hotel or ship safe. The only time the full amount was on me was the flight and trip to hotel, then the trip to the ship.

No offence intended but carrying $9000 in cash anywhere is a recipe for disaster.

Shak

Of course, if you carry $10,000 (or equivalent) out of or into the US it must be declared to US customs. There have been reported instances of those carrying less than $10,000 still receiving "extra scrutiny." Government mindthink (e.g. someone who carries $9,000 is deliberately avoiding the reporting requirement) is yet one more reason not to carry substantial amounts of cash. Or at least to not be surprised if you are selected for questioning.

I don't feel comfort using ATMs, or spending the time to do it. I don't care if it only takes 15 minutes, those are 15 minutes using the machine and finding one to do it. I also like to know I've got what I need and don't need to worry about my cash. Last Europe vacation

Fine, that's your choice. But before someone reads your post and gets scared that ATM's are hard to find in Europe, let me just say that I've been to Europe several times in the past couple of years, and as long as you are in a tourist area or a city/town of any size whatsoever, (which you will be if taking a cruise, or going just about anywhere a tourist would travel to) ATM's are readily available. They are in the airport, they are on city streets, they are inside tourist attractions... they seem to be just as prevalent as they are in the US. We usually take a couple hundred Euro just to get through the first day or the first few hours at least, but then we just keep an eye out for ATM's and replenish our cash as needed. As long as you don't wait til you're down to 5 Euro in your pocket, you can easily do this without ever having to go out of your way to find an ATM. Much safer than carrying your entire vacation budget

around with you, or constantly putting money in and out of the safe.

Fine, that's your choice. But before someone reads your post and gets scared that ATM's are hard to find in Europe, let me just say that I've been to Europe several times in the past couple of years, and as long as you are in a tourist area or a city/town of any size whatsoever, (which you will be if taking a cruise, or going just about anywhere a tourist would travel to) ATM's are readily available. They are in the airport, they are on city streets, they are inside tourist attractions... they seem to be just as prevalent as they are in the US. We usually take a couple hundred Euro just to get through the first day or the first few hours at least, but then we just keep an eye out for ATM's and replenish our cash as needed. As long as you don't wait til you're down to 5 Euro in your pocket, you can easily do this without ever having to go out of your way to find an ATM. Much safer than carrying your entire vacation budget

around with you, or constantly putting money in and out of the safe.

As has been said, it is my choice and I'm quite comfortable with it. I usually take $3-4000 in cash on every cruise. This was just a bit more as I had several private tours, transfers, hotels etc. I try to avoid ATMs here in the US and Canada too. My preference. The money goes in the safe and stays there until I have to use it. How is that more dangerous than using an ATM machine which actually has more exposure. Standing in a public (semi private) area, getting cash out of machine or just handing over a plain white envelope. I never said they were hard to find. I said I didn't want to spend my vacation time looking for one. That is still my choice, right?

For the other poster, I did nothing illegal. I was not asked how much money I was carrying but if I was then I would have answered honestly. Keep in mind there were three adults travelling - which means the total amount could have been divided between the 3 of us for the particular issue.

For the other poster, I did nothing illegal. I was not asked how much money I was carrying but if I was then I would have answered honestly. Keep in mind there were three adults travelling - which means the total amount could have been divided between the 3 of us for the particular issue.
Brrrpp.....I'm sorry, but that's an incorrect answer.

From the CBP website:

Please be aware, if persons/family members traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency.

For example, if one person is carrying $5,000 and the other has $6,000, they have a total of $11, 000 in their possession and must report it on a FinCEN 105. If a person or family fails to declare their monetary instruments in amounts of over $10,000, their monetary instrument(s) may be subject to forfeiture and could result to civil and criminal penalties.

But hey, it's your choice. Though that forfeiture part might put a damper on your trip. But at least you'd have a story to tell.

Our strategy for international travel is to have an ATM card attached to an account with limited funds. We do take a small amount of cash in foreign currency with us but I would be very uncomfortable traveling with large amounts of cash. As others have reported ATM's are all over the place in Europe but we always try to use one at a bank. If you use a credit card in Europe--especially one that is chip+pin-- there is no need for large amounts of cash.

We each have our own strategies and solutions to situations.

Of course, if you carry $10,000 (or equivalent) out of or into the US it must be declared to US customs.

I was never aware that you had to clear Customs when leaving the country?? :confused: How could they possibly know how much you 'take out' of the country? (Well... actually, I'm sure they do know!!.. But Wikiileaks cannot tell you how). :)

I'm in the camp that would never take large amounts of cash with me. True, there's always a chance of getting robbed or pickpocketed....high in some countries and almost nil in others.

One tip for using ATM's outside of North America....ATM keypads do not have letters with the numbers (2-ABC, 3-DEF, etc). So, if your PIN is based on a word, translate it to the corresponding numbers before you leave...or most cell phones show a keypad with letters for each number so you can use it to translate at the ATM.

Brrrpp.....I'm sorry, but that's an incorrect answer.

From the CBP website:

But hey, it's your choice. Though that forfeiture part might put a damper on your trip. But at least you'd have a story to tell.

Be that as it may, I still had only had around $7000 on me. So telling me I'm doing something against the law is incorrect. We were also two different families travelling together. My husband and I and another adult with a different name on a different ticket. I'm quite aware of the $9,999 dollar rule. I travel across the US/Canadian border all the time and have since I've been a child. I have never been asked about the amount of money I had on me except crossing into Canada or the US by car. Again - STILL only had $7000 on me so not doing anything illegal. Shorex is the one that brought up the $10,000 amount, not me.

I think it would be interesting to hear ANY story of anyone that has had to open up their suitcases, wallets, whatever they have with them and had to prove to the CBP how much cash they had on them. That they were each searched and the money counted. So clearly not a rule they manage well. They obviously rely on honesty and we know how that works with someone doing something illegal. I WASN'T DOING IT! Sheesh. All I'm guilty of is saying I take the cash I need instead of using the ATMs.

I was never aware that you had to clear Customs when leaving the country?? :confused: How could they possibly know how much you 'take out' of the country? (Well... actually, I'm sure they do know!!.. But Wikiileaks cannot tell you how). :)

Since you have to declare any amount over $10k, it simply gives prosecutors more legal ground should you be involved in money laundering, tax evasion, or other nefarious activities. In other words if you're already a suspect your financial activities are already well known, and the Customs form gives them a rope to hang you from.

Also, under the Patriot Act (which I have huge problems with), financial institutions have to report many everyday financial transactions to the government.

I think it would be interesting to hear ANY story of anyone that has had to open up their suitcases, wallets, whatever they have with them and had to prove to the CBP how much cash they had on them. That they were each searched and the money counted. So clearly not a rule they manage well. They obviously rely on honesty and we know how that works with someone doing something illegal. I WASN'T DOING IT! Sheesh. All I'm guilty of is saying I take the cash I need instead of using the ATMs.

A possibly even more interesting story would be from someone who honestly answered "yes" on the Customs form, and what took place as a result.

I'm sure you're well aware of this, but cash is generally excluded from all US insurance policies (homeowners, trip insurance, accident insurance, etc) even when other personal property is covered. I also recall reading that in marine and aviation accidents, the insurance company takes ownership of the hull/aircraft and the contents, including personal property. Personal property is usually returned to the owner but cash is not.

In some countries, be prepared to be searched and shaken down by police or the military for all cash on your person and in your vehicle. Think of it as payment to avoid an extended tour of their detention facilities.

Last comment is debit and credit cards provide protection against fraud or defective merchandise that cash does not. I had a bad experience with an overseas tour operator that was either bad communication on their part, or outright fraud. Fortunately I had paid by CC and wasn't out a penny.

Different strokes, we all agree on that....as long as you can afford to unexpectedly lose all your cash and are able to replace it, then no problem.

A dear friend of mine was pulled out of line for a random inspection as she was flying out of the country several years ago. She'd had a frazzled day and honestly forgot to report that she had cash in excess of $10,000. She was detained, the money was confiscated, she missed her flight and had a he!! of a time getting home. I helped her prove that she had come by the money by working and eventually she got it all back, but I wouldn't want to risk going through what she did. She was humiliated, scared and out about $500 by the time it was all resolved.

I know you're not carrying in excess of the legal limit, but you did ask for ANY story. There's one.

I don't like to carry cash, but I understand those who don't want to take up their time at the ATM (and it takes even more time when your idiot bank didn't note that you had informed them that you were going out of the country and wouldn't authorize a withdrawal, which happened to us). We carry enough to get us through a couple of days. Mostly we use a credit card with no foreign transaction fee. Of course, with the US banks being so reluctant to offer a true chip & pin card, that isn't as easy as it used to be, either.

A dear friend of mine was pulled out of line for a random inspection as she was flying out of the country several years ago. She'd had a frazzled day and honestly forgot to report that she had cash in excess of $10,000. She was detained, the money was confiscated, she missed her flight and had a he!! of a time getting home. I helped her prove that she had come by the money by working and eventually she got it all back, but I wouldn't want to risk going through what she did. She was humiliated, scared and out about $500 by the time it was all resolved.

I know you're not carrying in excess of the legal limit, but you did ask for ANY story. There's one.

I don't like to carry cash, but I understand those who don't want to take up their time at the ATM (and it takes even more time when your idiot bank didn't note that you had informed them that you were going out of the country and wouldn't authorize a withdrawal, which happened to us). We carry enough to get us through a couple of days. Mostly we use a credit card with no foreign transaction fee. Of course, with the US banks being so reluctant to offer a true chip & pin card, that isn't as easy as it used to be, either.

Interesting. Amazing how they "caught" her. This might be a good thread to start :D.

I never thought about the plane crash thing and you losing money either. On the other hand, I try not to think of my plane crashing at all LOL.

No offence intended but carrying $9000 in cash anywhere is a recipe for disaster.

Shak

Some people on this board still wonder why specifically Americans are targetted on the Ramblas in Barcelona by pickpockets....

I travel frequently and often solo. I have a zipper pocket in the bottom of my carry on bag where I put some of my cash, credit cards, ID etc. I have another zipper pocket in my travel blazer. Little of value is in my actual purse. If I can carrying a money pouch, it stays in the hidden area of my carry on bag until I can get through the TSA and to a rest room to redress in private.

I have my needed ID and my boarding pass in one hand when I go through the TSA screening machine. I have nothing on me or in my pockets that would slow down the process. I keep my glasses on so I can see what is going on.

When I get to the gray bin area of the TSA, I put my shoes, 3,1,1 baggie, my travel blazer, my purse into a bin. My carry on bag is small but I put it on the moving belt.

I keep my eyes on my stuff as much as possible and make haste over to the part of the TSA luggage screening machine to watch my stuff come out.

I came within secords of having my purse stolen at a TSA checkpoint at DFW airport but started screaming 'my bag STOP' the instant I saw on someone else's arm. The TSA people tried to talk me out of it saying 'so many purses look alike'.

You have to look out for yourself.

Be that as it may, I still had only had around $7000 on me. So telling me I'm doing something against the law is incorrect....... Again - STILL only had $7000 on me so not doing anything illegal. Shorex is the one that brought up the $10,000 amount, not me.

If you look at what YOU wrote in post #11, you will see that you were the one to bring up the point of dividing money among people, not I.

I was merely pointing out that dividing money among folks traveling together is against the rules. Please read your own words.

As to whether you are under or over the $10k mark....I don't care. As to whether you should take cash....I don't care. As to whether there should be an impression left to forum readers that it is OK to divvy up cash.....that I do care about. Fact is fact.

TSA clerks love to believe they have caught the "Big Fish" in the tewworist thing (they call it a "war", right :rolleyes:). If they see/find your money pouch and it's bulging with EUs, their tiny brains will immediately tell them they've caught some criminal. They'll detain you, call police, CBP, and your life will be miserable for a few hours while they clear up the mistake. Stories over on FlyerTalk talk about some of these.

If you look at what YOU wrote in post #11, you will see that you were the one to bring up the point of dividing money among people, not I.

I was merely pointing out that dividing money among folks traveling together is against the rules. Please read your own words.

As to whether you are under or over the $10k mark....I don't care. As to whether you should take cash....I don't care. As to whether there should be an impression left to forum readers that it is OK to divvy up cash.....that I do care about. Fact is fact.

Well, I'll give you I didn't know they included the entire group when they considered the amount so I did learn something. :D

Archived