Central Med - anyone done it?

Essexlass2

Yes, we did it in May, plenty of sea days to start with and finish, unfortunately the Mediterranean weather wasn't up to much, but every time we were in port the sun came out, so very pleased with that. Didn't do any tours as all ports were new to us, I must say both Sicillian ports were a huge disappointment, if ever we go there again then a tour will be a must! Venice, Dubrovnik and Korcula were highlights but enjoyed Corfu and Valencia too.

Yes, we did it on Azura in 2011 in September. We really loved it despite the fact I was in a wheelchair following an accident a few days prior to the cruise :(!

Unlike Brayman we had lovely weather, good enough to sunbathe most of the time and we always had good weather in the ports. What was best for us was that other than Venice and Dubrovnik we'd never visited the ports before and had no preconceived notions. We particularly liked Korcula and Cephalonia for their unspoilt beauty but in every port we just felt relaxed. This was my first post-retirement holiday and exactly what we needed to unwind. I'd highly recommend it.

Yes, I did the same cruise as Brayman, and also a similar itinerary back in 2003 on Caronia. I love the ports. Fortunately I already knew Palermo and Catania were grim so had booked to go to Cefalu (beautiful) and wine tasting on the slopes of Etna as I went to Taormina in 2003. Korcula is like a mini Dubrovnik and Venice - is well - Venice!

We are thinking of booking the Central Mediterranean later this year as the itinerary looks interesting. Anyone here done it already? Any comments please?

We have done this cruise twice on Aurora and will be going for a third time on Azura. The sail in to Venice is beyond description and the real reason for our third trip. Dubrovnic is another worthy port of call - other ports apart from Gibraltar do vary. Have been told that the only other sail in to equal Venice is Istanbul, but that one still awaits/eludes us. Best wishes :)

We have done this cruise twice on Aurora and will be going for a third time on Azura. The sail in to Venice is beyond description and the real reason for our third trip. Dubrovnic is another worthy port of call - other ports apart from Gibraltar do vary. Have been told that the only other sail in to equal Venice is Istanbul, but that one still awaits/eludes us. Best wishes :)

I personally don't think Istanbul comes anywhere near Venice, although the Dardanelles section is very good. New York though - that comes closer IMO!

I would recommend Kotor, it is stunning. I think every cruiser should see Venice at least once :)

And soon - before they ban large cruise ships from the current route past St Mark's Square, as is being discussed.

Been to the Med on ships twice before, Crown Princess in 2009 and Ruby Princess in 2011. There again on Arcadia - 13/4 to 30/4 next year, just call me a Medophile, crikey I hope they do not relocate the berths at Venice, just love that sailaway past St Marks Square.

Thanks folks, as always very helpful. Your comments are all very encouraging although some ports of call are different. We'd have La Coruna, Spain, then Messina in Sicily (is that one that isn't any good?), Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice (can't wait!), Valletta in Malta, and Gibraltar (hate those apes!) so any advice or comments on those ports will probably make our minds up for us.

We haven't been to Messina but I have heard it is as bad as Palermo and Catagna. If I remember correctly Sharon has been to Messina and will be able to enlighten you. We should have been going there but the cruise was changed to Catagna so I'll be pretty disappointed if Messina turns out to be good (I don't think it will!)

In Malta, there is now a lift that takes you up to the town. Walk around 300 yards from the cruise terminal towards the sea and you cant miss it. Ignore the taxi drivers who will tell you its not working today and they want €10 to take you up. The lift costs €1 to go up and its free to come back down.

http://www.visitmalta.com/en/upperbarrakkalift

I can recommend a visit to the Cafe Cordina on Republic Street near the Cathedral. It was established in 1837 and is beautiful inside. It looks expensive but its not. A capuccuno is €1.90 and they have beautiful looking cakes that we did not sample - see menu on link below

http://www.caffecordina.com/

Brian

In Malta, there is now a lift that takes you up to the town. Walk around 300 yards from the cruise terminal towards the sea and you cant miss it. Ignore the taxi drivers who will tell you its not working today and they want €10 to take you up. The lift costs €1 to go up and its free to come back down.

I can recommend a visit to the Cafe Cordina on Republic Street near the Cathedral. It was established in 1837 and is beautiful inside. It looks expensive but its not. A capuccuno is €1.90 and they have beautiful looking cakes that we did not sample - see menu on link below

Brian

Great tips thanks Brian, we visit Malta - Valletta on Arcadia next April.

Brian

Thank you Brian, that's really very helpful. :)

Thanks folks, as always very helpful. Your comments are all very encouraging although some ports of call are different. We'd have La Coruna, Spain, then Messina in Sicily (is that one that isn't any good?), Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice (can't wait!), Valletta in Malta, and Gibraltar (hate those apes!) so any advice or comments on those ports will probably make our minds up for us.

Hi, have done Messina with another cruise line and LOVED Sicily and fell in love with Taormina. You have to go there and visit the amphitheatre which is at the far end of the town. The views are wonderful and the town beautiful. We also visited Etna - a fabulous day and we want to return to spend a fortnight there in the future.

:)

Dubrovnik - easy to do on your own. We took ths ship's bus to the town and then did our own thing. We walked the walls and then had a snack in a bar before wandering around this lovely town.

Hi, have done Messina with another cruise line and LOVED Sicily and fell in love with Taormina. You have to go there and visit the amphitheatre which is at the far end of the town. The views are wonderful and the town beautiful. We also visited Etna - a fabulous day and we want to return to spend a fortnight there in the future.

Presto2, is Taormina near Messina and, if so, how did you get there please?

Archived