Is Ken Rush a fun CD?

Wow such negativity about a cruise director, really I personally don't care if he says hello or good morning to me as long as the entertainment portion of the cruise is run in a efficient manner.

I just sailed in June on the Allure with Ken and thougth he was fine. He was funny, entertaining and did stick around for all of the events as much as one could in his position.

I mean who really cares who the CD is anyway :confused:. I care about the food, entertainment, ports of call and how clean the ship is.

Ken was the CD during my first cruise on the Nordic Empress in 1996. His jokes and style has not changed much since then. He has always been friendly when I have run into him over the years.

We all have our own ideas of what makes a good CD, Ken is old school and yes he does use many of the same old lines on most cruises. But he is a really nice guy, proffessional and all he wants is to see people have a good time, he works hard to achieve that, but his style will not please everyone. However that can be said about most CDs, I would still say that he is one of the best over many years. :)

Wow such negativity about a cruise director, really I personally don't care if he says hello or good morning to me as long as the entertainment portion of the cruise is run in a efficient manner.

I totally agree. Unfortunately, a few of us have had the misfortune of seeing his personality away from the microphone. Honestly, I wish I wasn't one of them. :(

I would almost be tempted to not cruise on a ship if I knew Ken Rush was the cruise director. I could not stand him from the first time he opened his mouth to talk. We also found him to be very rude to passengers when he would see them out. I have also left the shows where he wouldn't shut up before it started. He is so arrogant

I remember a thread sometime ago about Spacey using identical jokes from one cruise to another. I can't imagine having to come up with original jokes cruise after cruise after cruise. I don't know what you expect from a cruise director with as few as 3000 guest up to 5500 guest, a personal conversation each time? Remember we're all human some days are better than others some days your on top of the world full of energy others you just want to crawl back to bed. I defy anyone to stay on top of the world smile and greet everyone like a old lost RICH relative for 16 straight weeks without a day off and as little as 5 hours sleep lets be realistic!

I remember a thread sometime ago about Spacey using identical jokes from one cruise to another.

I'm pretty sure that applies to all of them. I, for one, don't agree with the same joke complaints because I think that is just a side affect of being a frequent cruiser.

Well maybe it is our dry NY humour. But I like KR. Many if the others so many have liked bored me to tears. He sat with my husband one night with my husband in the DL and had. Great night together.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm pretty sure that applies to all of them. I, for one, don't agree with the same joke complaints because I think that is just a side affect of being a frequent cruiser.

YEs Yes! Agree

And the ship serves the same food every Monday!

I remember a thread sometime ago about Spacey using identical jokes from one cruise to another. I can't imagine having to come up with original jokes cruise after cruise after cruise. I don't know what you expect from a cruise director with as few as 3000 guest up to 5500 guest, a personal conversation each time? Remember we're all human some days are better than others some days your on top of the world full of energy others you just want to crawl back to bed. I defy anyone to stay on top of the world smile and greet everyone like a old lost RICH relative for 16 straight weeks without a day off and as little as 5 hours sleep lets be realistic!

Amen. Could not have said it better. I would rather have crude humor than sullen and boring any day. But no CD will ever ruin my cruise. I am of the " only you can make yourself happy" campers. We all have our preferences. My husband goes to shows like a cellist or pianist on a cruise. I won't.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I mean who really cares who the CD is anyway :confused:. I care about the food, entertainment, ports of call and how clean the ship is.

That was always my opinion until I cruised with Richard Spacey and learned how the job should be done (IMHO).

Kathy

I am coming late to this question, haven't read your other replies. If you like Spacey, I think you will like Rush. He does his job well, I thought he did a great job with Quest and his other MC duties and I thought he did a great job with the Q&A they do on Allure.

Well, I was just going to write that he is NOT a "fun" guy, but the post above mine stopped me in my tracks.

I am no Ken Rush fan.

Although I have not experienced what DEIx15x8 did, I have to say that none of it surprises me.

That's not a good thing.

Those of you who love him: good for you. Go on enjoying. Me? I will always wince if I hear that KR is the CD on a cruise which I have booked.

I wondered if there would be a post like the one you quoted based on somethings I have heard. My unfounded suspicion is that person tried to get up close and personal and be Ken's friend. Somewhat supported by the line that implied he gets chummy with passengers who can help his career. That reeks of jealousy and being left out. I don't want a best friend cruise direction, I want someone to do a good job and be personable. To Ken I would only say the same thing I would say to any cruise director, "New questions on Love and Marriage please!"

See now you guys have me a bit worried I was spoiled by having Richard Spacey as the cruise director on my first cruise. Oh well, until I meet/see Ken Rush I can't make a decision on him one way or another. I'm sure Allure will be great, I mean I'd cruise with Satan him self as cruise director if I had to.

Can't beat the energy of Allen Brooks and Richard Spacey! Do not understand how Ken Rush has lasted so long. He is a bit like a robot, not at all spontaneous. Maybe he is super organized behind the scenes?

You just hit the bulls-eye. Ken always takes the newest ship out becuase he is great at setting up and fine tuning a ship, especially a new class where they have no track record of how to run the entertainment. He gets everything up to speed as quickly as possible.

We had Ken on a b2b Allure and noticed that he used the same routines both weeks. Most people don't cruise b2b and so wouldn't pick that up.

I did notice that during the 70's party the first week a young female staffer wound up in the wrong spot momentarily. CD staff, not a singer or dancer or performer. With all the hubbub and noise and light going on he noticed that and quietly over the live mike told her where to re-locate. The man sees everything and knows everything which is why he is so good.

I've had him twice, during the Liberty of the Seas inaugural season and during the Oasis of the Seas inaugural season and absolutely hated him. I can honestly say that out of the thousands of employees royal caribbean has he is the only one that has left a blemish on my vacation experience. He is rude, arrogant, and adds 0 entertainment value to a sailing.

I've been amazed by so many other CDs and their ability to adapt to the audience. CDs I've never even heard mentioned on these boards have been incredible, but Ken Rush is the only one who lives by a script. He does the same jokes and comments in the same order every time. He seems to lack any ability to adjust based on his audience.

He spends all his time trying to get in with a select few guests that he thinks can help him and could care less about the rest. He spends all his free time schmoozing, even to the crew while wasting passenger space. This really annoyed me on the Liberty. He was sitting in the Windjammer with a table of crew every day for hours just talking while passengers wondered around searching for free tables. Didn't use the windjammer on Oasis but I'm sure he probably did the same.

I enjoy dirty humor and don't consider myself a prude by any means. But his behavior I found often bordered more on sexual harassment that comedy. He's the only CD that actually made me feel uncomfortable to be in the audience with.

The final straw for me though was his general behavior and I can easily name 3 moments that pushed me over the edge. From the moment we boarded the Oasis he set the tone for the entire week. I was traveling with my mom requires a cane or wheel chair to get around. She used a wheel chair to board and then we walked over to one of the interactive TVs to get directions to where we wanted to go. New passengers on a new ship, this is a reasonable thing to do. Often times crew members walking by will ask if they can help when they see passengers searching for directions. When Ken Rush walked by with a group of other crew members. We were near the wall using the TV so long a normal person the group walked through the center of the hall and many said hi as they went by. Ken Rush being himself cut between us and the wall forcing us to step out of his way and couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge us. I can understand not helping, and honestly didn't expect or really want any, but his behavior was out of line and the rest of his group clearly paid attention in their training seminars (or were just raised properly). The second time was during the Captain's Corner in which he was standing up front next to Captain Bill Wright, the Senior VP of Maritime Operations at the time. This is someone who is on the executive team in Miami and far more important than anyone else at sea. You would think that would put ken on his best behavior, but sadly his best still falls short. During the event while passengers are asking questions and officers were trying to answer them, he was constantly on his cell phone. Standing right at the front of the theater talking loudly on the phone. IMO that was completely rude and inappropriate behavior. I know he is supposed to be running the entertainment onboard, but during an even like that he should be able to focus or excuse himself. The third moment and IMO the one that truly showcased him, was during the fountain show. We were sitting trying to enjoy the show along with a nearly full venue of passengers. About a third of the way through we started hearing some rude guy talking loudly behind us. Not even trying to watch the show, completely absorbed in his own conversation. When I turned around I expected to see a rude passenger, but instead was shocked to see Ken Rush sitting their on his phone. A crew member having personal conversations while sitting in the audience at a show. This is completely over the line behavior. If a passenger were to be doing that they would be in trouble, a crew member of his level should never have even thought this was appropriate.

Out of every passenger and crew member that I have sailed with only one has continuously angered me with every interaction, and it's Ken Rush. Still don't know why he hasn't been fired. I am going to be stuck with him again on the first 2 Quantum of the Seas sailing, and I've already sent several more letters to Royal Caribbean to complain about him. Hopefully they will have taken care of him by then.

Great post about Ken Rush. I have to agree. I sailed with Ken on 2 different cruises in the past, found hm to be non-existant during the days (never saw him once), only at the night venues (same stick each time) and not friendly at all. I also saw Ken just wanting to smooze with the bigwigs/spenders or whatever. I have several CDs that have become my favorite people over the years (Richard Spacey, Leigh X to name a few). I guess everyone has a different take on their favorites. Happy Cruising!

I´m quite surprised to read most Posts on this thread. Usually Ken Rush is the loved one on CC and People rave about him being the best.

My personal experience with him is along the lines with what most others have said on here before.

I agree a CD does not make or break my cruise and with one exception I never have interacted with any of them and to be honest I don´t even remember the majority of CD´s I had.

I also agree that they all follow the same Routine cruise after cruise.

The thing that really ticked me off with Rush was his arrogance and rude behaviour towards paying customers. I´m sure I might not have even recognized him if I hadn´t read so many raving reports about him and how shocked I was when I encountered him onboard. Never seen a CD, or for that matter any RCI employee onboard pushing and shoving his way through the ship :eek: I have no idea why he is so highly rated in the Company:confused:

Another thought on Ken - If he is on a Nextel kind of phone on the ship, these are work calls, making decisions on what to do with other crew, and not talking to home.

Workload on a CD is enormous on a big ship.

Just because it's a "work" phone, doesn't mean the conversation is work related, and some of the calls I overheard him make on board, sitting in a bar talking loudly so I had no option, were not work related. I agree with most, arrogant, self centered and not as good as the bosses seem to think he is.

Just because it's a "work" phone, doesn't mean the conversation is work related, and some of the calls I overheard him make on board, sitting in a bar talking loudly so I had no option, were not work related. I agree with most, arrogant, self centered and not as good as the bosses seem to think he is.

Out of all our cruises he is my least favorite. When we had him on Allure most people on the boards had said how fabulous he was. I thought maybe we caught him on an "off" week. He comes across as very "Corporate" and not a lot of fun to be around. A CD doesn't make or break a cruise for me but the really good ones like Richard Spacey certainly do enhance the cruise experience during the shows and entertainment poolside.

Archived