Port of Cape Liberty Upgrade

Should be good. Sounds like a new terminal and parking deck on the property. What we've seen them do for Terminal 18 before Oasis was impressive. What they've done to overhaul Baltimore though blew me away. It really reminded me of a mini Terminal 18 and was super efficient. Can't wait to see what they can accomplish with this one.

I am wondering if there will NO LONGER be a need for the short shuttle bus ride that is now required in Cape Liberty to go to the ship. It was a short 2 minute ride, but with the number of passengers on Quantum, if will be nice if the shuttle is not needed.

If not - no problem - just nice being able to cruise without having to fly !

Looks like Royal Caribbean is finally trying to upgrade the port in Bayonne. Here's hoping the vote passes later today!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/07/royal_caribbean_wants_to_redevlop_part_of_bayonne_port.html

The Port Authority of NY and NJ has approved the redevelopment plan:

http://www.njherald.com/story/22921241/port-authority-hears-nj-cruise-ship-terminal-plan

The port in Bayonne never bothered me, as long as there is a ship waiting for me...all is good! But I will say this is VERY good news. I would imagine now that Quantum has a home in New Jersey for a long time.:D:D

When we were in NYC for the Quantum reveal 2 men from the Port Authority sat next to me. Chuck and I talked with them and they told us about their plans for updating the port. A parking garage, new terminal and dredging so the ship can back up farther and no more shuttle buses. Yea! They said it would take a couple years but after reading the newpaper article it looks like they want it done by the time Quantum arrives.

Just wondering what they will charge for parking when it is done.

Is this small? Since I'm sure many of us expect Royal Caribbean to follow the logic of Terminal 18 I decided to compare the two. The numbers seem far off though. According to the article Cape liberty will be:

36,000-square-foot check-in terminal

60,000-square-foot luggage area

Total: 96,000-square-foot

According to Port Everglades Terminal 18 is:

138,000 square feet for embarking guests (check in terminal?)

102,000 square feet for debarking guests (luggage area?)

Total: 240,000 square feet

With Quantum having 4,180-4,905 passengers and Oasis having 5,400-6,296 these numbers don't seem to scale very well. Was Terminal 18 really that much of an over kill or is Royal Caribbean not expecting much growth in the future? Their contract for Cape Liberty goes for another 30 years, so I'm sure Oasis will be tiny by then.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just a little confused by those numbers.

Well I think its not needed, but at least all the prima donna's won't have the port to complain about anymore. It does show RCCL's commitment to the NJ/NY area though, they are fully invested in making cruising work from the North East. They are smart to do so.

Is this small? Since I'm sure many of us expect Royal Caribbean to follow the logic of Terminal 18 I decided to compare the two. The numbers seem far off though. According to the article Cape liberty will be:

36,000-square-foot check-in terminal

60,000-square-foot luggage area

Total: 96,000-square-foot

According to Port Everglades Terminal 18 is:

138,000 square feet for embarking guests (check in terminal?)

102,000 square feet for debarking guests (luggage area?)

Total: 240,000 square feet

With Quantum having 4,180-4,905 passengers and Oasis having 5,400-6,296 these numbers don't seem to scale very well. Was Terminal 18 really that much of an over kill or is Royal Caribbean not expecting much growth in the future? Their contract for Cape Liberty goes for another 30 years, so I'm sure Oasis will be tiny by then.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just a little confused by those numbers.

I haven't sailed out of Bayonne in years, but I'm thinking maybe they just don't have the space to put a terminal as large as terminal 18. Maybe they will design this one to be even more efficient so they don't need a giant building. Guess well find out soon!

I love sailing out of Bayonne. I never really minded the shuttle to the ship but for some reason it really irritates me on disembarkation. Hopefully it will be eliminated.

No more buses from the new terminal. Direct boarding via gangway.:D

No more buses from the new terminal. Direct boarding via gangway.:D

I never really minded the buses. Well for embarkation they were fine for us and that's probably because we drove there and were there around 10 and beat the rush. Debarkation I did get a little aggravated as they were always packed and you had to wait in line for a while to get one.

It doesn't make sense that RCCL would to this for one ship. Possible Anthem will also sail from NYC.? I am hoping Celebrity brings another ship back to Bayonne in addition to Summit summer sailings to Bermuda. There are probably somewhere around 100 million people within driving distance to Bayonne. Most people, including me, detest the hassle of flying, in addition to the cost. My wife and I always check two bags each which costs an extra $220 for each trip. Also, I always fly two days early which adds at least $400 in hotel and food cost. Leaving from Bayonne saves me about $1000. As the ships get larger with more OnBoard activities for days at sea, sailing from Bayonne looks better. Really only one really cold day each way in the Winter.

It doesn't make sense that RCCL would to this for one ship. Possible Anthem will also sail from NYC.? I am hoping Celebrity brings another ship back to Bayonne in addition to Summit summer sailings to Bermuda. There are probably somewhere around 100 million people within driving distance to Bayonne. Most people, including me, detest the hassle of flying, in addition to the cost. My wife and I always check two bags each which costs an extra $220 for each trip. Also, I always fly two days early which adds at least $400 in hotel and food cost. Leaving from Bayonne saves me about $1000. As the ships get larger with more OnBoard activities for days at sea, sailing from Bayonne looks better. Really only one really cold day each way in the Winter.

Precisely!

I could not have said it better myself. Agree on ALL counts.

I personally wouldn't put any hope in Anthem sailing from NJ. I think Oasis 3 has a better chance than that. At this point it sounds like Anthem is all but confirmed as being year round from Southampton (Mediterranean in the winter and northern Europe in the summer) with Independence there in the summers (Mediterranean only). If Oasis 3 were to arrive in NYC though I think it would only be summers for short periods (Not putting a lot of hope in that either as Miami seems pretty solidly in place for her). What I do agree with though is that Royal Caribbean would not do this for just one ship. I expect them to invest more lines in this port though rather than more of Royal Caribbean. I fully believe that we could see a Solstice class return to Bayonne full time. I'm not sure why one hasn't yet since the Reflection seemed to have garnered high prices and sell out sailings for the short time she was there. Maybe the current Celebrity ship could shift to Baltimore. I could also see some of their smaller international likes making a first time arrival to NYC, a rather big marketing point that Miami just can't compare to. That would be like offering an America the choice to take a cruise that starts with an over night in Cork, Ireland or Barcelona, Spain. It's obvious to know which is the more attractive choice. Many including AiDA already make stops in NYC for this reason. I've even seen some of the international branded ships that visit the caribbean doing so as part of longer tours starting and ending in their native country. Royal Caribbean has a new TUI ship that could do a Germany to NYC, NYC to Caribbean roundtrip, and NYC to Germany route. Something similar could also be done with Pulmantur and Spain.

I personally wouldn't put any hope in Anthem sailing from NJ. I think Oasis 3 has a better chance than that. At this point it sounds like Anthem is all but confirmed as being year round from Southampton (Mediterranean in the winter and northern Europe in the summer) with Independence there in the summers (Mediterranean only). If Oasis 3 were to arrive in NYC though I think it would only be summers for short periods (Not putting a lot of hope in that either as Miami seems pretty solidly in place for her). What I do agree with though is that Royal Caribbean would not do this for just one ship. I expect them to invest more lines in this port though rather than more of Royal Caribbean. I fully believe that we could see a Solstice class return to Bayonne full time. I'm not sure why one hasn't yet since the Reflection seemed to have garnered high prices and sell out sailings for the short time she was there. Maybe the current Celebrity ship could shift to Baltimore. I could also see some of their smaller international likes making a first time arrival to NYC, a rather big marketing point that Miami just can't compare to. That would be like offering an America the choice to take a cruise that starts with an over night in Cork, Ireland or Barcelona, Spain. It's obvious to know which is the more attractive choice. Many including AiDA already make stops in NYC for this reason. I've even seen some of the international branded ships that visit the caribbean doing so as part of longer tours starting and ending in their native country. Royal Caribbean has a new TUI ship that could do a Germany to NYC, NYC to Caribbean roundtrip, and NYC to Germany route. Something similar could also be done with Pulmantur and Spain.

The (X) Sillihouette sailed out of Cape Liberty from November 2011 to April 2012. The (X)

Reflection never sailed from Cape Liberty.