Coco Cay with 2 ships

ckfred

I was checking ports of call, to see how many ships and potential tourists will be in St. Thomas and St. Martin next July. I happened to find a website that lists most ports in the world, including Coco Cay.

To my surprise, the Grandeur and the Freedom will both be in Coco Cay next June 30th. How crowded is the island, when two RCL ships are putting off passengers?

According to the website, there will be about 6100 passengers potentially fighting for beach chairs, seats at the lunch buffet, etc.

Makes me almost want to stay on the ship and have no crowds at the pool or the Windjammer for lunch.

We were in Labadee on Jewel when both Jewel and Freedom were there. We got there early so got our pick of a place to sit on the beach for the day. It did get crowded around 11, but nothing drastic. Only when the guys wanted lunch did they have to wait in line. I opted out of lunch as I did not want to wait that long-they waited in line about 25 minutes. I am not that big of eater and it was not worth waiting for 25 minutes to get something. My pretzels in my backpack were plenty to hold me over until dinner that night. about 3 they all left and the beach was really quiet until we had to leave and go back to the ship.

We have been on CocoCay when both Majasty and Monarch were there, but never anything bigger

Edited by karena1

We were also at Coco Cay with 2 ships once, Monarch and Majesty, so maybe about 5000 guests. As mentioned above, it was a bit crowded at lunch time, but the beaches were not bad at all.

We will have this issue in December at Labadee when 2 ships are in port and one arrives around 8 am and we around 11 am. I need to confirm that time though.

Someone on our thread did mention the lunch lines were long. Oh to stand in line for 1/2 for a hotdog/hamburger.

I just want a lounge chair in the shade. Actually 2 of them. :)

I think Labadee handles 2 ships better than Coco Cay.

RCCL invested a lot in Labadee for the Oasis and Allure that makes 2 ships work out better there in my opinion.

Last year we were at Coco Cay on the Enchantment and the Majesty was also there. It was doable but very busy at all the facilities (food lines, bars, rest rooms). The tendering was chaotic.

I was using www.cruisett.com. In the past, I have tried looking up each individual port authority's website. I happened to find cruisett.com while trying to find the port authority for Saint Martin.

Thanks for the input. We're on the Freedom, which anchors 3 hours ahead of the Grandeur. So, we're going to get on one of the first tenders, grab some beach chairs, let our kid play in the ocean, then tender back around lunch time.

I would assume that there won't be crowds in the Windjammer, at the pool, or on the mini-golf course.

Someone had mentioned that website on the excursions board. Isn't it great?

I found out there will be SEVEN ships in Cozumel when we're there in December. I can't even imagine what a zoo that will be like. But it will be fun to see so many other ships all docked together. I wonder if the pier will even be big enough. I've never seen more than 2 ships at any port before so it will be very interesting to say the least.

Wouldn't it be cool if while in port we could go check out the other ships that are there? Try out a specialty restaurant, hang out at a different pool, etc.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Wouldn't it be cool if while in port we could go check out the other ships that are there? Try out a specialty restaurant, hang out at a different pool, etc.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

That would be cool, like a Ship Open House!!!

I found out there will be SEVEN ships in Cozumel when we're there in December. I can't even imagine what a zoo that will be like. But it will be fun to see so many other ships all docked together. I wonder if the pier will even be big enough. I've never seen more than 2 ships at any port before so it will be very interesting to say the least.

There are 3 different piers maybe 4 in Cozumel. RCI docks at the International pier.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There are more than two piers in Cozumel, so they frequently handle as many as 5-7 ships in port at the same time without any significant problems.

There are more than two piers in Cozumel, so they frequently handle as many as 5-7 ships in port at the same time without any significant problems.

Exactly. And the piers are spread out all along the Cozumel waterfront. Carnival's pier is the next closest to the International Pier that Royal uses. There is another pier at Punta Langosta near downtown, NCL usually uses that pier.

Edited by Eng23

Thanks everyone for the info about the piers in Cozumel.

And here I thought there was going to be some kind of traffic jam. Oh well, it will still be cool to see so many ships together...I'm just concerned about so many people together.

• 1 month later...
cannot seem to figure out where to find the ships in port on certain days,

sorry.

Appreciate any help you can give me

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

Scroll all the way to the bottom and there is a list of cruise ships. They are listed by Cruise Lines. Just click on your ship and then click on your date of sailing. You will see your itinerary and just click on each port to see which other ships will also be there that day.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

It would be crowded with 2 ships at this place I think. I was here with Monarch of the seas, which is one of the smaller boats they had. It wasn't too bad, but nevertheless, there were line ups for the bar and meals, and at peak time, nowhere to sit at tables to eat. I cant imagine double or triple at one time, unless something has changed since.

• 1 month later...