A Plea To Celebrity: Don't Dump Century

curtdesilets

I love the idea of Celebrity keeping Century, and using her for the more exotic itineraries. For one thing, she can slip through the Panama Canal with ease, so she can get from one part of the globe to another quickly. And, if anyone doubts that people will actually book an older X ship with the right itinerary, check out Century's Feb. 15, 2014 Caribbean sailing -- the one that goes to St. Barts. Well, you really can't find it on X's website anymore, because it completely sold out in under three weeks! :cool:

It is chock a block with CC members as well, which may have contributed to it filling so fast. That rollcall is humungus and it is only 4 weeks old.:D

Guam had a huge rodent and insect problem so they introduced a snake. The snake then killed all the birds and ate everything else as well. They slither all around the streets, in peoples houses, they couldn't get rid of them. When an airplane came in from Guam, our airline had to take special care making sure we didn't find snakes. Yuk!!!:eek:

It may be the topic of a new film, some titles come to mind.

"Snakes on a ship"

"Cobra's on a cruise"

"Boa's on a boat"

or my favourite "Vipers on Vacation":eek:

Guam had a huge rodent and insect problem so they introduced a snake. The snake then killed all the birds and ate everything else as well. They slither all around the streets, in peoples houses, they couldn't get rid of them. When an airplane came in from Guam, our airline had to take special care making sure we didn't find snakes. Yuk!!!:eek:

Actually, the snakes arrived on the island as stowaways on crates and boxes being offloaded from ships arriving from the Philippines in the 1950s. They were not intentionally introduced by authorities. The snake problem is sensationalized by the media, but you don't see them slithering all over the streets, beaches, etc. Guam has a thriving tourism industry fueled mainly by travelers from Japan and Korea, and snakes aren't a deterrent. I worked for Continental Airlines and used to fly out to Guam for short vacation trips and never encountered any snakes anywhere on the island. They are out there, but not seen everywhere you go. Airliners and military aircraft arriving in Hawaii from Guam are checked for snakes, mainly in the landing gear compartments as they are very good stowaways.

Edited by djc4410

Just been reading this thread with interest after reading the article below the other day, as I was wondering what Celebrity had planned with Century after the shortening of the dry-dock:

http://o.canada.com/2013/07/31/celebrity-century-for-sale-maybe-not/

I did see on a website the other day that has cruise ships advertised for sale a ship that seemed to match Century's specifications, but can't find it now. Will see if can locate the site.

Actually, the snakes arrived on the island as stowaways on crates and boxes being offloaded from ships arriving from the Philippines in the 1950s. They were not intentionally introduced by authorities. The snake problem is sensationalized by the media, but you don't see them slithering all over the streets, beaches, etc. Guam has a thriving tourism industry fueled mainly by travelers from Japan and Korea, and snakes aren't a deterrent. I worked for Continental Airlines and used to fly out to Guam for short vacation trips and never encountered any snakes anywhere on the island. They are out there, but not seen everywhere you go. Airliners and military aircraft arriving in Hawaii from Guam are checked for snakes, mainly in the landing gear compartments as they are very good stowaways.

Interesting Thanks for clearing that story up, I thought they may have made another blunder like thye did in Australia with the cane Toad.:(

Just been reading this thread with interest after reading the article below the other day, as I was wondering what Celebrity had planned with Century after the shortening of the dry-dock:

http://o.canada.com/2013/07/31/celebrity-century-for-sale-maybe-not/

I did see on a website the other day that has cruise ships advertised for sale a ship that seemed to match Century's specifications, but can't find it now. Will see if can locate the site.

Thanks, I look forward to checking it out.:D

If, in fact, Celebrity does choose to sell the Century (I hope they don't!).....but if they do, that will leave them with 9 ships to cover South America, Australia/New Zealand, Caribbean, Asia, Europe, Bermuda, Canada/New England, Hawaii/South Pacific, Panama Canal and Alaska.

That would be spreading themselves pretty thin! I have not seen any announcements about "new builds" so maybe they are just planning on eliminating some itineraries?

On a recent cruise, an engineering officer gave a talk on the propulsion system on the S-Class ships. During this talk he "hinted" that Celebrity was considering ordering one more S-Class ship. He didn't say anything about the fate of the Century.

If, in fact, Celebrity does choose to sell the Century (I hope they don't!).....but if they do, that will leave them with 9 ships to cover South America, Australia/New Zealand, Caribbean, Asia, Europe, Bermuda, Canada/New England, Hawaii/South Pacific, Panama Canal and Alaska.

That would be spreading themselves pretty thin! I have not seen any announcements about "new builds" so maybe they are just planning on eliminating some itineraries?

On a recent cruise, an engineering officer gave a talk on the propulsion system on the S-Class ships. During this talk he "hinted" that Celebrity was considering ordering one more S-Class ship. He didn't say anything about the fate of the Century.

Size matters for Celebrity.

However, some X Passengers might be more and more interested in alternative products, if they get more affordable, such as Oceania.

With the newest addition of Marina and Riviera, it´s the size some might start to miss at Celebrity. At least I do...

Size matters for Celebrity.

However, some X Passengers might be more and more interested in alternative products, if they get more affordable, such as Oceania.

With the newest addition of Marina and Riviera, it´s the size some might start to miss at Celebrity. At least I do...

Exactly.

The M class and C class X ships were about 1900 and 1800 passengers respectively, before the M-class' redesign (Solsticization??). Holland America rarely went above 2000 passengers. I think a number of us, although liking what the S-class offers, feels that it's a tad too much in terms of passenger numbers, especially Reflection. We want a mid-size sedan.:D

The trend has indeed been to build larger and larger. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sky Lounge reduced in favor of suites a la Reflection when the S Class ships begin dry docking for major renovations.

More income producing areas equals greater profits. That feeds to bottom line and keeps excutives employed.

• 3 months later...
As many of you have been following, the fate of the Century in the Celebrity fleet is quite "up in the air". Two major renovations in the past 2 years have been scrapped. Most recently, an extensive dry dock scheduled for early 2014 was replaced with a much shorter one, basically a touch up. There is speculation that she might be sold or transferred to another Royal Caribbean owned line.

There are several of us "Century Lovers" on the Cruise Critic forum that do not want Century to leave the fleet. She holds a special place in our hearts, and Celebrity would be wise to retain her, as a relic of the past glory of Celebrity cruises.

I would draw a comparison to the Prisendam on Holland America. Apparently she is the oldest and smallest ship in HA's fleet. They could have dumped her years ago, but instead they spruced her up and retain her for the most interesting and exotic itineraries as well as bumped up the service and elegance a few notches. HA is also able to charge a premium for such unique itineraries and upgraded service. IMO, that would be a good place for Century in the Celebrity fleet. Keep Century as the boutique ship with unique itineraries, perhaps an annual world cruise. It almost appears like Celebrity is attempting to do this. I noticed that in May of 2015 (if Century is around that long), there is a scheduled circumnavigation of Japan. Now that is unique!

We sailed Century out of Vancouver early in the Alaska season last year. It was one of our best cruises ever, having now sailed a variety of ships (20 cruises so far). She reminded us of what Celebrity was all about, when we took our first cruise back in 2001 on the brand spanking new Infinity.

Here is my review of the Century cruise last year, in case you are interested:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103862

I know that I am not alone in my assessment of this very special ship. Recent reviews of her 2013 Alaska voyages concur with mine. She is an excellent ship with a superb staff, and she has developed a loyal following amongst many of us Celebrity enthusiasts.

So what do you say Celebrity. Does she stay or does she go? :confused:

We are planning a Pacific Coastal Cruise this Spring on Century. I truly hope this is not our last cruise on her while she's still in the Celebrity Fleet. Has there been any news from Celebrity on the plans for keeping or jettisoning Century? :confused:

We first sailed on Celebrity on the Mercury...she fast became our favorite cruise ship but that was over 13 years ago. Then, when we sailed on the Infinity, wow....couldn't believe how luxurious a ship could get. Well, that was about 10 years ago. We've since sailed on the Equinox ...the best to date by far. In the middle, did a couple more on the Mercury and Infinity and then one on the Solstice. Still, the Equinox takes first place. However, love my memories from the Merc and the Infinity as well.

So, decided to sail on the Century next as I don't think I have ever experienced a bad cruise on Celebrity and this will take me back to my happy memories of the Mercury. I may miss the indoor pool -- love that feature on just about all the new ships. However, I do love that rich feel of all the wood and brass -- such a nautical feel about it. Plus, want to experience that again before they do sell her off .... and probably wouldn't be as likely cruise on her if she is sold to another company.

We are planning a Pacific Coastal Cruise this Spring on Century. I truly hope this is not our last cruise on her while she's still in the Celebrity Fleet. Has there been any news from Celebrity on the plans for keeping or jettisoning Century? :confused:

We'll be on the very first two cruises, after she comes out of dry-dock. Will keep our ears to the ground, and see if anyone on board has credible information about the old girl's future. :cool:

We are devoted X cruisers, we have tried the newer ships and I still love the Century above all others. Total elegance and style.

Through the years I have asked different X officers which ship they prefer. "Century" has been an overwhelming first response.

Perhaps they will "hear" us and retain the last of these beautiful vessels.

Based on the lack of a real upgrade, I don't see her in the Celebrity line up for a long time. We have her booked for an April 2015 China/Japan cruise. I hope she makes it that long; but I am going to have a difficult time booking flights until I feel more confident that she will actually do that cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this thread and I was also thinking a long time what could happen to CENTURY after April 2015...

IMHO there are several possibilities:

She operates on Asia itineraries until the 29th of April 2015. Her final one ends in Yokohama, Japan, in a northern city of Asia. So I think she won't sail Alaska in 2015, because to deploy her from Japan to Alaska would take a lot of time.

Usually the Alaska season begins in May, so to transfer her within 2 weeks from Japan to Alaska could be difficult.

Or do you think that it is possible to transfer her from Asia to Alaska in just two or three weeks??

Maybe she stays in Asia year-round.

Or she will be sold after her Asia season... :(

Another indication that she probably does not sail Alaska in 2015 could be that INFINITY has disappeared from several Northern European cruise lists in 2015... maybe she replaces CENTURY in Alaska... so we would have MILLENNIUM, INFINITY and SOLSTICE in Alaska in 2015, if CENTURY does not come.

We will see...

We will find out when the 2015 schedules come out in the spring. I am still concerned that Celebrity will sell the Century before they do our April 2015 China/Japan cruise. With only doing a one week spruce up, I don't think it is long for the fleet unfortunately. I am not going to feel real comfortable about booking flights and will have to wait longer than I would like to do it.

It would be sad if CENTURY were sold before your Asia cruise - but I honestly do not think so - I think as other lines (RCI, Princess) Celebrity wants to expand on the Asian market - so at least until spring 2015 it makes sense to deploy two ships there.

Maybe also Celebrity kepps Century year-round in Asia to compete with other lines.

But I am also wondering that X has cancelled two major refits for CENTURY - maybe it indicates that CENTURY is going to leave the fleet soon!! :eek: